Morning Tailgate: Kaepernick Opens Up

Posted by Taylor Price on July 24, 2013 – 11:39 AM

Peter King’s new football website featured the 49ers quarterback in a major way. King’s “MMQB” site was all about San Francisco’s QB on Tuesday.

In a fascinating look at the much discussed 49ers play-maker, Colin Kaepernick opened up to the longtime NFL scribe when the two spent time together in the offseason. Kaepernick surprised his high school football coach with a farewell speech at Pittman High School and King was there to document the experience.

King also touched on topics that Kaepernick has rarely discussed in the media. It’s a must-read for those looking to get a better understanding of the 49ers quarterback.

An interesting aspect of the interview focused on Kaepernick explaining why he wants to be himself at all times.

“I want to try to break that perfect football mold. I don’t want to be someone who can be put into a category,” the 49ers quarterback said. “I want to be my own person. I want my own style. I want to be someone who can’t really be compared to anybody.

“And I want to have a positive influence as much as I can. I’ve had people write me because of my tattoos. I’ve had people write me because of adoption. I’ve had people write me because they’re biracial. I’ve had people write me because their kids have heart defects—my mom had two boys who died of heart defects, which ultimately brought about my adoption. So, to me, the more people you can touch, the more people you can influence in a positive way or inspire, the better.”

More headlines can be found in today’s Morning Tailgate.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee previewed the main offensive storylines to track when camp opens.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com shared the comments of rookie running back Marcus Lattimore.

Mike Sando of ESPN.com discussed Anquan Boldin’s importance to the 49ers.

Finally.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 18 Comments »

18 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Kaepernick Opens Up”

1. By jesus mendoza on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

KAP, just go out their this year and handle ur business brah. do what you do best…. just get us back to the promise lands and win us a super bowl brah. prove to these people you can do it. GO 49ERS

2. By bow53 on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

i second that jesus M. we been waiting for this person to come a long, (KAEP) to lead us back to the promise land… i know in my heart he can do it……..

3. By bow53 on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

u know why i said he can do it, cuz’ he has a wider vision than the former…

4. By Moose_USMC on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

And a better arm… and legs.. and better tats.

5. By Moose_USMC on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

Any doubters will be put out to pasture soon enough.

6. By ace on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

the superbowl loss is not on you kaep,welll except for the int was on him, but really we score that many points in the superbowl = win……that st td and 1 more defensive stop and we would have won , i dont think any team has scored 41 in a sb and lost, not sure, but the point is thats why we lost you cant give up 41 points in the superbowl and win……kaep earned his right to start !!!

7. By ace on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

we avg more yards on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down(minus garbage time) with kaep at the helm than most every team in the league

8. By dave g. on Jul 24, 2013 | Reply

“Kaepernick has a chance to be very special,” Jaworski said via Mike Sando of ESPN.com. “He has a complete throwing skillset with a powerful arm that I absolutely put at gun level. His ball comes out with a lot of energy and velocity. And Kaepernick can drive the ball down the field, on the move, with accuracy.”

That’s exactly what I see as well : ) Crabtree was wasting away until Kap came on board. A great QB helps WRs get better. Just ask Brady.

9. By Moose_USMC on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

Everyone on offence but the kicker was waisting away befor Kap. The last guy made Aikers kick so much he got a hurnia…. lol.

10. By mfkram64 on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

the bottom line here is alex smith wasn’t harbaughs guy PERIOD!! he inherited him and had to make the game plan simple for alex every week PERIOD!!! if u couldn’t see that u r blind….colin kaepernick was harbaugh’s guy 2 yyears ago he traded up for this kid….he knew who he wanted to be his qb PERIOD!!! why r we even talking about alex smith anymore is beyond me….why he is still on the morning post is beyond me…..he’s gone PERIOD!!!! the thing is kaepernick is going to have to prove himself that last year wasn’t luck…..it’s crazy to say but he has to not try so hard if u know what i mean……just go out and play baby!!! he has all the talent in the world…and us niner fans get to enjoy him on OUR TEAM!!! it’s time forcamp and to start talking about the rest of the team…enough with alex smith…..really who F’IN CARES ABOUT ALEX SMITH!!!

11. By Moose_USMC on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

Phatexcuse – Your personal egoe blinds you to the reality of the real world around you. Though i’m shure this Alex Smith thing all stems from peronal abandonment issues from childhood.

12. By bow53 on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

thats right people this is r main man navigating now (KAEP) played only 10 games and brought us to superbowl, that tells us all, i really don’t see any arguement on that, no any other qb did that in the history of football, not that a recall off or if theres any ,then its my bad, but the way football is played now a days, no other qb can do that,specially coming fr. behind all the time from the playoffs to the SB. 5 freaking yards short of getting it all, its not r time yet,but i’m confident we will be there, back is lombardi map again…..darn i can’t wait 4 the season to start, its driving me nuts here…..thats why i have to throw something out there every now and then…..

13. By Moose_USMC on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

Were with you on that Bow

14. By Hermie on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

What strikes me the most abnout Kaep. is his desire. Garcia had a lot of desire, but I think you have to look back at Steve Young to see the kind of desire Kaep has. You heard it from all of his teammates that he is the first to arrive and one of the last to leave. Alex never did have that or the arm, or the legs, or the pocket awareness that Kaep has shown in the ten games he’s played extensively.

You know he is only going to get better with the drive he has inside of himself!! No Brag, Just Fact!!!

15. By jesus mendoza on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

STOP WITH ALL THE NON SENSE… why dont you all put pads on and see if its that easy of a job to do…. all this girly talk needs to stop…. GO KAP…. N NINERS WILL WIN IT THIS YEAR N NEXT YEAR BELIEVE IT OR NOT… wait and see niggggzzzzssssss….

16. By arctixsnowpants on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

The official NFL Tailgate pants are coming soon for all Teams. Available In stores or online on October 15th 2013

17. By rjdniner on Jul 27, 2013 | Reply

I wonder what Jim and Trent would have done if a player that they gave up so much for would have shown up to camp with a injury of that nature, we all understand watching the game for so long if you get injured at camp that’s one thing, and the decisions that those two have made over the course of two and half years has been outstanding ….just got through watching that bit with Kap and Steve if he had been listing and taken the advice of Bill when they had a chance to get Jake Plummer maybe it would have been different for a few years anyway, on to the present. go 49er,s

18. By rjdniner on Jul 28, 2013 | Reply

Now that Abraham ex falcons player has signed with AZ am looking forward to seeing him go up against our all pro Staley, first IF Atlanta wanted him to stay they would not have cut him, so he’s got some issue’s and the sports media has really not paid much attention to it and we all know that Joe WILL TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS ……