MT: Colin Kaepernick ‘Playing to Win’

Posted by Taylor Price on July 5, 2013 – 7:55 AM

He’s short with his answers. He doesn’t like to ramble on. He doesn’t like to hear himself talk.

Just like his play on the field, Colin Kaepernick gets straight to the point. He’s direct. The San Francisco 49ers quarterback has kept a level-headed demeanor when dealing with the media and he’s maintained that throughout his time in the Bay Area.

The 49ers quarterback, however, opened up to ESPN the Magazine about his future goals, his motivation and his body. The later conversation point had much to do with the magazine’s annual “Body Issue.” Kaepernick followed in the footsteps of teammate Patrick Willis in being photographed in the much discussed issue.

In an interview with the magazine, Kaepernick explained how his offseason preparation has him fueled for a big season in 2013. After taking a week off following the Super Bowl, the 49ers quarterback shared insight on his workout routine.

“Harbaugh was a little worried I was going to get too jacked — he talked to me about that — but I think the biggest thing for a quarterback is making sure that as you get bigger, you keep your flexibility,” Kaepernick said. “You have to train hard and be strong while staying flexible and limber, so I’m trying to find that balance. I’ve been trying to make my legs stronger and more explosive and build more fast-twitch muscles. I’ve been running with bands and chains, I’ve been pushing sleds, I swim tied to a bungee. Will I be faster this year? You’ll just have to wait and see.”

Kaepernick’s speed will be watched closely, but more so, people will be evaluating his every move. Kaepernick is motivated by those who are doubting his ability to maintain the level of play he established in 10 starts.

“A lot of people say last year was a fluke,” he said. “They say defenses are going to figure out how to stop our offense, and we can’t do it again. That constantly drives me. Anytime I’m told I can’t do something or told someone is better than me, that motivates me to prove them wrong. It doesn’t matter what I’m playing — tic-tac-toe, chess, Monopoly — I’m playing to win. I don’t want last season to be an outlier. I don’t want to be one of those players who had a good year and comes back and has a bad one. I want to be similar to the Tom Bradys of the world — every year you get a great year out of them. They go out there and perform at a high level.”

Lastly, Kaepernick shared how advice from Aldon Smith has helped his mental edge.

“Aldon Smith gave me this quote: “Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.” The more you can do that and the more you can push your body out of its comfort zone, the better you’ll be. Your mind can make your body do things you don’t think it can. So I push myself to be uncomfortable. If my body is feeling perfect, if I’ve got no aches, pains or soreness, something is wrong.”

More headlines can be found in today’s Morning Tailgate.

Dave Dameshek of NFL.com shared All-Pro teams for every NFL division, the 49ers had 10 players make the NFC West squad.

NFL.com shared information on Nnamdi Asomugha’s surprise wedding to actress Kerry Washington.

Mike Jones of the Washington Post previewed the 49ers entering training camp.

49ers.com caught up with veteran linebacker Parys Haralson.

FOURTH OF JULY TWEET ABOUT IT

Tags: , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 8 Comments »

8 Responses to “MT: Colin Kaepernick ‘Playing to Win’”

1. By 15ty on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

Reblogged this on tyxtickx.

2. By bow53 on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

personally i feel very good about r qb. (kaep) situation right now.this guy is one piece of the puzzle thats been missing, during the years of ups and down in r beloved franchise and of course w/ the big help of r coaching staff, which i personally believe again, who’s been very wise in the decision making, since the bill walsh era.thanks to the young york and the G.M. of the year in my book (trent baalke) i just wanna throw that out there…..now that trainning camp is just around the corner, and next month pre-season, we gonna have a very very, good season this year, feels good to be a niner fan…………….

3. By mfkram64 on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

u hit it on the head bow53 it feels great to be a niner fan again…have that swagger again…if feels awesome cuz i like the coachs and the players they have i feel confident again…i like the offense hope williams and mannigham get heathy…and keep injueries to a minium…defense i like also…ready for camp and lets goooooo!!!!!!

4. By Micah on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

We have all the reason in the world too ba jacked about our entire organization Niner Nation!!!! I’m only 26 but have been a die hard niner fan since 1994 when I watched my first football game. I have never cheered for any other team and never will. Even in the years from 2002 till Jim Harbaugh came too town and we were constantly losing I still cheered proudly because I new that a time like now would come where not only the Niner Nation but everywhere in the country the Niners are known as a force and a top team on defense (which we always had) and an explosive offense with a franchise QB. “Who’s got it better than us!?” “NOBODY!!!!!!!!!” That’s for dang sure!!!!

5. By Moose_USMC on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

Love what Micah said.
    As bad as it was watching our team go through the bad years, its been awsome watching all the moves and work to make the 49ers the best team in football again. Leadership starts from the top down, Jeds done an outstanding job putting together winners. From the front office to the coaching staff. not many fans get to experience the compleet turn around like that. Some teams get one good year, and it seems most struggling teams stay in the suck. But were here to win, a new dinasty begins.

6. By okcniner on Jul 5, 2013 | Reply

11 years…shut up already! Get over it! Just preparing for when some idiot gets on here and complains about Alex Smith…again

7. By Hermie on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

Really looking forward to the seeing what new packages they will be bringing out with the type of athletic ability Kaep brings to the table. He has a hunger we haven’t seen in our QB since Steve Young!!

Can’t wait!!

8. By Hermie on Jul 8, 2013 | Reply

How about the idiots that won’t shut-up about Alex and move-on!!