MT: Kaepernick Throwing Out First Pitch

Posted by Scott Kegley on June 21, 2013 – 8:51 AM

062113-kap-header

Colin Kaepernick, a former 43rd round draft pick of the Chicago Cubs in 2009, returns to the mound tonight. This time, Kaepernick will not be facing any batters, throwing out the first pitch at the San Francisco Giants game as they take on the Miami Marlins. The game begins at 7:15 p.m.

49ers.com will be there with Kaepernick so make sure to stay tuned to @49ers on Twitter and Instagram for updates.

More 49ers headlines can be found in today’s morning tailgate.

CSNBayArea.com’s Matt Maiocco spoke with wide receiver Quinton Patton, who doesn’t want to put any limits on what he can accomplish in his first NFL season.

“I don’t like the word ‘rookie,’ ” Patton said. “I’m a ballplayer. I’m trying to be the best, and everything else is for the coaches to decide.”

CLIP OF THE DAY

With the offseason coming to a close, Taylor Price and I discussed several story lines, including Justin Smith’s two-year contract extension and which wide receivers have impressed in Crabtree’s absence.

The 49ers offices will be closed next week and the 49ers.com crew will be getting a brief break with training camp approaching. The Morning Tailgate blog will resume July 1.

Posted in Morning Tailgate | 99 Comments »

99 Responses to “MT: Kaepernick Throwing Out First Pitch”

1. By ilovenacky on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

そのさきへ -Deep Sky Blue version- でリブログ& コメント:
    Add your thoughts here… (optional)

2. By Frank Mohan on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

Feel sorry for whoever’s gonna catch that first pitch..Kaep’s got a 96mph fastball…..ouch!!!!!!

3. By 49er-n-memphis on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

Save the heat for the season Kaep! Throw a slow ball.

4. By Steven on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

I got to play against him in High School at Turlock. I had no idea that I was going to be going to go against a future super bowl san francisco 49er quarterback at the time. He, by far, had the strongest arm I ever went up against. I, of course, struck out, but felt ok because I made contact before that haha. Now I’m just glad to be rooting for him and the rest of the niner squad!

5. By ace on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

if it was alex smith throwing out the first pitch he would
    a: bounce it before homeplate
    b: throw it over the dugout to avoid a sack
    c: throw a knuckle ball so ugly noone could hit it
    d:suffer a concussion

6. By gary on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

Ace………you are a zero!!! Alex is a good QB, and in no way representative of your rant.

7. By Dawg on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

Ace, you are a total low life!

8. By jay1934 on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

Go Kap I’ll be watching. Throw a fast ball strike.

9. By ace on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

lol i was joking, making a joke there, haha , not saying hes a bad qb, hes not a pitcher tho sooo maybee they will ask him to do that in kc ?
    you guys are soooo serious, come on you know that made you laugh its ok to laugh once and a while ?

10. By bow53 on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

11. By real ace on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

ace he was a pitcher dawg and he got drafted in the majors.. u off base son

12. By ace on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

alex smith was a pitcher ? really i didnt know , still funny tho dawg

13. By ace on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

this is like when a bear hibernates for the winter, zzzzzzz, even the 49er website will be off till next month, not much till minicamp…….think of something funny to say in the meantime

14. By phatalerror on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

“i’m surprise , phatablahblah has’nt comment on ur 1st post yet? or is he preparing 4 a long novel to post any time soon…………..”

“lol i was joking”

Aside from the fact that he was joking, there was little reason for me to delve into the theoretical baseball-throwing mechanics of a football player. I’m too busy dealing with illegitimate comments favoring Kaepernick the quarterback to worry about the pitcher from an alternate universe. And frankly, this week I’ve been a little too busy even for the former.

15. By ace on Jun 21, 2013 | Reply

and if u saw kaep throw that first pitch tonite, well, i think the radar said 87 ?
    he hasnt done that in a while, lol, soak it in kap, go giants,win this one for the 49ers

16. By rjdniner on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

phatalerror THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO BUT CONTINUE TO CRY ABOUT THE FACT THAT Kaepernick is our teams QB and there nothing you can do to change that …….

17. By way2sicc on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

Hey ace Alex already has thrown a first pitch for the SF giants and it actually was a decent pitch. It went over the plate but I am sure it wasn’t even 80mph.

18. By Dawg on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

Ace, you need to go away!!!

19. By Ken Sebben on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

Ace wasn’t joking. And he is right about Alex. You wanna know why? Because the answer is b.

20. By phatalerror on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

Borrowing from another user who pointed out that “Kaepernick is our teams QB and there nothing you can do to change that,” some users don’t find it sufficient to have Alex Smith in their rearview mirror; now they have to make ridiculous statements about celebrity first pitches. If you think throwing a baseball over a plate is like throwing a football to a receiver, you know very little about either sport.

rjdniner, if I didn’t point out on most occasions how Alex Smith was the most underrated player on the 49ers’ team, six months from now everyone would be wondering who this phatalerror was that supposedly knew in advance that the 49ers were heading for a decline due to their hasty switching of quarterbacks. And when Kaepernick can read a defense just as well as he can throw a baseball to a standing target or a football to a moving target, I will change my opinion about him.

21. By rjdniner on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

He was throwing that ball pretty good against a so called good defense that the Bears had and yes he got picked off during other games so did Alex, so you think that the team is going to decline because of a QB switch, we all thought that Harbaugh was nuts for not putting Alex back in, it sounds like your going to jump ship because of a decision that you didn’t like and have been CRYING ABOUT IT FROM DAY ONE. And I do believe Alex did the same thing last year for one of the GAINTS games…

22. By ace on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

and nobody said anything about pitching being like quarterbacking,only making light of the situation

23. By ace on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

24. By ace on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

heading for a decline now thats just silly, because of kaep ?

25. By ace on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

hey theres nothing wrong with rooting for alex smith ill be rooting for them to get to get to 8-8 for the sake of our draft choice, but hes a chief now not a 49er,lets root for kaep and colt(sounds like a horse) to lead us to the promised land……….go niners

26. By rjdniner on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

ace you read it just like we all did

27. By ace on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

isnt that a dead horse, i mean it did spark one hell of a debate in football, but since we have talked in length about it over and over again, wel its only (for me ) something we can poke fun at now , we are moving forward now with KAEPTAIN AMERICA as our starting qb, this is a new season the sting from losing the superbowl is gone(i wish) and now we have some new players and most people think we have either the best or one of the best rosters in the league…….its very exciting to be a niner fan again and thank you coach for bringing it home

28. By ace on Jun 22, 2013 | Reply

he brought up an interesting question tho, who is the current 49ers most underated player ?………and it could well change by the end of the year obviously…..if you asked me i would say frank gore is now and has always been super underated, and hes gonna use that talk about him being old, to prove people wrong this year again

29. By rjdniner on Jun 23, 2013 | Reply

And we all know why he had a good year it was those 5 guys upfront and hopefully they all stay healthy but if something does we have a great coaching staff and GM that can plug in a person like Snyder or Kilgore .my question concerning super bowl jersey’s is why doesn’t Crabtree have s a super bowl emblem on his ?

30. By phatalerror on Jun 23, 2013 | Reply

“And we all know why he had a good year it was those 5 guys upfront and hopefully they all stay healthy but if something does we have a great coaching staff and GM that can plug in a person like Snyder or Kilgore .”

Linemen are important, but you made no mention of the quarterback, or of the decline in Gore’s production when the quarterbacks were switched. The fact is, even if you have an elite runningback, an excellent line that has to account for eight defenders in the box is not going to win as many battles up front as the same line would when accounting for seven defenders.

So give due credit to the linemen, give due credit to Gore, and give due credit to the quarterback that kept the eighth man out of the box more often.

The simple movement of Alex Smith from one team with an excellent runningback and offensive run-blocking line to another team with the same should provide a previously unequaled comparison of what happens to the personnel of two teams when an inferior quarterback (Matt C.) is replaced by an excellent quarterback (Alex Smith), whose vacated position is in turn filled by an unknown commodity. I hope everyone on both the Chiefs and the 49ers stays healthy for the sake of settling a debate that reaches far outside the scope of either team.

31. By ace on Jun 23, 2013 | Reply

wow interesting, but dont forget playcalling is a factor, you must have balance, obi one, or you will never be able to control the force, (haha funny), but seriously, did you just compare the cheifs and niners as equal in terms of running an blocking thus making for an equal comparison for the up coming season ?

32. By rjdniner on Jun 23, 2013 | Reply

PHATALERRO lets get this straight you are in no position to tell ME about the game of football , what to say or how to say it .as far as saying that THE POSTION IS FILLED BY AN UNKOWN COMMODITY ,that commodity got the them a 6th NFC CHAMPIONSHIP and yes we all know what happen at the SB….

33. By ace on Jun 23, 2013 | Reply

and ur putting a 2-14 team the chiefs on a pedastal (i think) and you really cant compare 2 teams statisticlly that have opposite strength of schedule(oppents are much weaker) but if you wanna make that comparison if it will finally set this argument to rest im all for it, lets just see who has a better year frank gore vs chiefs #1 rb and kaep vs alex who has better year ?

34. By ace on Jun 23, 2013 | Reply

the chiefs best friend right now is the fact there is nothing for teams to look at to prepar for , can they ride that to an 8-8 season,(lets hope for our draft position)
    and if we put up better numbers than the cheifs do all the kaep bashers/doubters will have to be quite ?

35. By Hermie on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“from now everyone would be wondering who this phatalerror was that supposedly knew in advance that the 49ers were heading for a decline due to their hasty switching of quarterbacks”

36. By phatalerror on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“and if we put up better numbers than the cheifs do all the kaep bashers/doubters will have to be [quiet]?”

If “better numbers than the [Chiefs]” means the 49ers (a substantially better team with a two year track record of winning games on both sides of the ball) get significantly more wins than the Chiefs (a now-underrated team with individual talent held back by an ill-advised long-term signing of Matt C., and more importantly, terrible coaching), then despite the fact that football is a team game and quarterbacks do not single-handedly win games, one would have to acknowledge that Colin Kaepernick might be one of the players making a difference for the 49ers, and that Alex Smith was not good enough to make a difference for the Chiefs.

Injuries notwithstanding.

37. By phatalerror on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“I would not say waiting a year and a half is a “hasty” decision. Just goes to show your ignorance!!”

I’m ignorant? It’s obvious in retrospect that Jim Harbaugh was biding his time to put in ‘his guy’. That does not change the fact that Kaepernick was an unproven commodity *after* he beat up on a tired Chicago defense that got no help from their backup quarterback, after his offense scored fewer points than the Saints’ offense, and after his offense got absolutely smothered by the Rams, later the Seahawks, and finally, the Ravens. Harbaugh obviously liked Kaepernick’s upside, but with every upside comes a downside. Failure to acknowledge that Kaepernick has yet to prove that he can win out of the pocket on even terms against another team is gross ignorance.

38. By dave g. on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

The only gross ignorance is coming from Fatal Error. He is clueless as to Harbaughs motivations and his huge character flaw of desiring to be viewed and to think of himself as the “GREAT ALL KNOWING” is seriously clouded his logic. To go on and on with the same old tune over and over again shows an incredible obsessive loser who is consumed with feeling superior on a blog. Its fine to like Smith but what is the point except to chase the almighty “I told you so”? Its pathetic…I am not interested in that regardless of what happens. I am interested in my SF49ERS winning the SB. PERIOD. It is not about me & what I predicted, it is about my team. You will never get that kind of loyalty and dedication of a team because you a loser who is desperately clinging on to some little personal victory in a pathetic life which obviously means wanting to see more out of KC than SF. You pathetic in everyway.

39. By phatalerror on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“To go on and on with the same old tune over and over again shows an incredible obsessive loser who is consumed with feeling superior on a blog.”

So tell me, Mr. Self-titled Alpha Male, what is shown when you, who have conclusively identified me as an ‘obsessive loser consumed with feeling superior on a blog’ and an “Omega Male”, make such a point of demonstrating your own superiority on said blog? Do you have to push the bar down that far to get over it? And did that enable you to make an argument against what I said?

Your own condemnation of me in this manner has proved self-condemning. If I am obsessive, you are moreso. And once again, you took the low road, bashing my perceived character flaws, while providing nothing in response to the substance of my argument. Perhaps a mirror is in order.

40. By Peter weeter wheat straw on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

Go Colin Go

41. By ace on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“The simple movement of Alex Smith from one team with an excellent runningback and offensive run-blocking line to another team with the same should provide a previously unequaled comparison of what happens to the personnel of two teams when an inferior quarterback (Matt C.)”

im just gonna say you misspoke there cuz u cant compare our line and running back to theirs unless u want to ?

42. By ace on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“I hope everyone on both the Chiefs and the 49ers stays healthy for the sake of settling a debate that reaches far outside the scope of either team.”

me too for the sake of the inevatable comparsion that will occur again and again

43. By phatalerror on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“im just gonna say you misspoke there cuz u cant compare [between the 49ers and the Chiefs] our line and running back to theirs unless u want to”

First, I am not saying Jamaal Charles is better than Frank Gore because they are fundamentally different types of runningbacks. Gore is more versatile and powerful and a better every-down runningback, while Charles is one of the league’s best ‘home run’ rushers (behind Adrian Peterson). As for the offensive lines, the Chiefs’ players are no slouches.

According to this source, the 49ers’ offensive line was the best in the league after half of the 2012 season, while the Chiefs were second-best. Interestingly, the Chiefs had a better ranking in protection blocking, which bodes well for Alex Smith (in fact, for the type of quarterback Smith is, the Chiefs’ line is a better match for the Chiefs than the 49ers’ would be).

So in summation, they do compare closely. The 49ers have a better defense than the Chiefs do (although the Chiefs’ secondary is less suspect), but following Crabtree’s injury, the Chiefs may very well have the better offense with Dwayne Bowe and Jon Baldwin on the outside, and all of the necessary parts in between. The only thing I wouldn’t vouch for is the Chiefs’ depth at any offensive position.

44. By dave g. on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“While providing nothing in response to the substance of my argument.”

I don’t F’in care about what you perceive as an argument! It is not an argument as far as I am concerned and worth my time to argue. It is pointless & means nothing…thats what you don’t get. I am concerned about my team today. Losers look at “what-ifs” and “could have happened”. Its is over. To dwell on alternate universes and “should have been” is completely about you being correct. The very idea that you hung up on something irrelevant is the very ideas a weak individual. The amount of time you spend on this is pathetic! I am only responding to you to highlight your patheticness. I am not interested in repeating the same nonsense over and over again with no point. YES YOU A LOSER FOR TAKING UP A HUGE % OF YOUR LIFE ON THIS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT NONSENSE.

45. By ace on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

46. By dave g. on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

Fatal Error is either hoping someone will say, “Oh grand mighty lord of all knowledge, you are amazing and right” or “you trying to feel better about yourself”. The points have been made. An Alpha male just knows he is right & is good with it & understands that not everyone will agree and moves on being happy with himself. You just F’in annoying and need to be slapped you lil weak b!tch. To keep going on and on and on and on with the same tired nonsense. REALLY? Get a F’in clue Fatal-Error.

47. By dave g. on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

I could go on and waste my time repeating myself and looking for any positive morsel and glimmer of a supportive quote or stat BUT for what purpose??? You call this a solid argument??? LOL. Is your life that lame that you will spend that much time writing so much about this (REPEAT< REPEAT< REPEAT)and research all these crumbs? WOW what a sad life you must live Fatal Error.

RED & GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. By phatalerror on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“I don’t F’in care about what you perceive as an argument! It is not an argument as far as I am concerned and worth my time to argue. It is pointless & means nothing…thats what you don’t get.”

Then why are you still here? To insult me? And doing so makes you happy?

49. By phatalerror on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“ok so you wanna make that as whoever puts up better numbers is the “winner” between kaep and alex or frank and charles ?”

No, because winning quarterbacks don’t necessarily put up better statistics than losing quarterbacks, and the same thing applies to runningbacks.

The win/loss column matters most. Anything beyond that is for the player agents and the fans of non-Super Bowl winning teams to quibble about. If injuries end up being a big factor in either team’s year, the impact (or lack of such) will be obvious and readily noticeable.

50. By ace on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

im taking kaep tho
    u decide the paramaters it doesnt even matter anyway u look at we are better off now
    what u say ?

51. By rjdniner on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

52. By phatalerror on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“so lets make a friendly little bet shall we kaep vs alex which team or qb does better this year for……..bragging rights ?”

Kaepernick will probably set some sort of rushing record (unless he gets injured), so I really don’t care for a stats-based concept. It’s great for fantasy football, but lousy for real life.

Originally I pegged the 49ers at a 10-6 record and missing the playoffs. Then I saw their schedule, and became even less optimistic. That was before the Crabtree injury, which by then changed nothing. I expect the 49ers to be a .500 team in the NFL’s toughest division. My NFC playoff team guesses from 1st to 6th are: Packers, Falcons, Seahawks, Cowboys, Saints, Lions.

The Chiefs play in three-tiered division in which they alone are in the second tier. Barring injury, they are competitive with every team on their schedule. The AFC playoff picture will likely look like Patriots, Broncos, Bengals, Texans, Colts, Chiefs.

The bet then is (barring three games missed for Kaepernick due to an injury resulting from a scramble or run, or three games missed for Smith due to any injury): The Chiefs get a Wild Card berth or better, and the 49ers at best get a Wild Card berth. If I get either one of those wrong, I was wrong about Smith or Kaepernick.

Bragging Rights is the perfect stake.

I hope no one mistakes my pessimism about the 49ers as an act of rooting against them. I want them to make the Super Bowl. It just that in the ‘step backward to take two steps forward’ quarterback switch, I don’t expect the 49ers to have the necessary forward momentum to win critical games against NFC West opponents.

53. By phatalerror on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“I was going to post a comment but after reading the most recent posts I can’t do it because am thinking what a waste it would be and just started to laugh a little when I read phatla error posts …….”

And that was the best you could do instead?

‘I was going to post a comment, but I didn’t.’

Disappointing.

The intent is to provoke you into a useful dialog, and not to trade insults.

54. By ace on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

sounds good ur on

55. By ace on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“I want them to make the Super Bowl.”

im gonna give you the benefit of doubt and asume you misspoke there , cuz well we want to win the superbowl dont we ?
    wait who do you think wins the sb this year just for bragging rights ?
    49ers called it…..vs…….patriots cuz we already beat the broncos in the sb

56. By Marshall on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

49ers Seahawks 2013: Gateway to the Super Bowl

57. By phatalerror on Jun 24, 2013 | Reply

“wait who do you think wins the sb this year just for bragging rights ?”

In the perfect world, every fan’s favorite team wins the Super Bowl later that year. It’s hard to do a Super Bowl bracket when the competing teams are uncertain. Injuries become a greater factor in the post-season, but if everyone everywhere should stay healthy (or out of jail in the case of the Patriots’ Aaron Hernandez), in 2013 it would end up being the Seahawks losing to the Patriots.

58. By rjdniner on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

It may be disappointing to you, not to me, good day.

59. By bow53 on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

like i said all alone,another long & nonsense novel came out…..definitely sounds like a broken record…..no doubt…………..

60. By dave g. on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

Fatal-Error: So the only reason to be on these blogs is to be pro-Kap or pro-Alex????? I am not concerned with KC except for their draft pick. Get a F’in life and talk about something else already. Why are we concerned with KC and Alex? He is not on our team. What don’t you F’in get about that? You an annoying lil sh!t. You say, “The intent is to provoke you into a useful dialog, and not to trade insults.” You right about provoking people, but WTF is useful about repetitive tired bias comments? NADA! Just make a bet with someone and be done with it until something tangible is proven. Other than that STFU!!!!!!!

61. By mfkram64 on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

blahblahblah u say u r a niner fan and yet u have them not making the playoffs….u r a real niner fan i think not….u r a long winded pice of shi$…your rants r old like i said before and dave g has said i…t it’s annoying and u r repetive about alex smith…..u pick the lions to make the playoffs over the niners say what? u show how u really don’t like the niners and just like alex smith…go away and be a chiefs fan…

62. By ace on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

i must disagre about the seehawks chances of being in the sb

1 they had a weaker shcedule last year then most teams in the playoffs
    2 they only made the playyofs last year cuz of a blown call by replacement refs monday nite vs gb
    3 new rules this year will have the refs looking for the” sherman tate” type hits they are soo proud of
    4 they dont do well when teams think they are good only when they are overlooked they can win
    5 they cant win on the road and wont have homefield in playoffs if they make it
    6 roaches always avoid the lights being put on them

63. By ace on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

and about our division being soo much better now,
    when you can put up consecutive winning seasons( like we have)
    then and only then shall we speak of you as a winning team
    seehawks made the playoff at 7-9 not even winning record
    THIS DIVISION IS OURS TILL SOMEONE ACTUALLY PROVES OTHERWISE

64. By ace on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

id be happy with a 10-6 record and people getting healthy for the playoffs(crab) as long as we are playing as a team at the right time(playoffs) momentoum is everythin going into the playoffs, it always seems like the team(in the playoffs) that is healthy and peaking at the right time wins the superbowl, god and those stupid f^%$ing refs willing that will be the 49ers

65. By ace on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

ooo and one more thing about the seehawks this year, they are gonna learn that you cant put together a bunch me me me type guys in the off season on a team without great coaching, and expect them to mesh perfectly and be a coehesive team( see eagles last year) it takes time to learn to play as a team, they wont go far in the playoffs if they make it

66. By ace on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

phatal i think ur putting to much emphasis on kaeps “pocket p a s s i n g”
    kaep could have a 4000 yard season(like 250 a game) easy but it wouldnt mean that much if we dont have a around 1500 yards rushing to go with it, and a solid defense and special teams,,offense has got to be balanced in order to keep teams from fucosing on any one aspect of ur game, playcalling and putting our players in the best position to make plays, is what we do now, coach knows this,and this is why we are where we are today, not because of one players, percieved inability, the whole makes us stronger than those who would oppose us !!!

67. By dave g. on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

COLIN KAEPERNICK IS OUR QUARTERBACK!

ALL THE SF49ERS…WE GOT YOUR BACK! MAY EVERYONE STAY HEALTHY AND WE ARE EVEN BETTER THAN LAST YEAR. And I am not knocking anyone. I am just saying may we be better all the way around so we get our 6th trophy.

RED AND GOLD!

68. By bow53 on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

thats right, upside, down , in and out, the future is here.” CK7 ” the main man now…….

69. By rjdniner on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

Ace I do believe were also going to see flags being thrown on lynch, because of his running style leading with the crown of his helmet can’t do that no more ..

70. By ace on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

yeah if we even see lynch in the first game still , have they decided his dui case yet ?

71. By phatalerror on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

“1 they [the Seahawks] had a weaker shcedule last year then most teams in the playoffs”

They also started off the year with a rookie quarterback and a vanilla offense. Then they went on to beat two of the teams that Kaepernick was so highly commended for beating (and without asterisks: The Seahawks were gifted half of the touchdowns the 49ers got in their matchup, and the Seahawks played against Jay Cutler’s Bears, not Jason Campbell’s). They almost beat the Falcons in the playoffs, with the win being determined by a last-minute field goal. Anytime you have two teams from the same division contending for a spot in the Conference Championship, you have to acknowledge the strength of that division.

The Fail Mary was quite possibly the reason the Seahawks were in the playoffs last year, but then, were it not for the Fail Mary, the 49ers wouldn’t have gotten the first week playoff bye because they would have been a half game behind the Packers, and if they had won in the Wild Card Playoff (despite Justin Smith and Aldon Smith getting no badly needed rest from their injuries), they would have ended up playing at Lambeau Field. You could make an argument that the 49ers never get to the Conference Championship with Kaepernick without the Fail Mary.

Instead, let’s argue the reality of the situation in Seattle: They have an established team that has had a recent history of “substance abuse” issues, but after that, they have more recent playoff appearances, and a more balanced defense. They’re at the top of the NFL.com Power Poll now (above the 49ers), and while it’s hard to guess who will win it all before a single game is played, it’s hard finding something you can say to the 49ers’ credit that you can’t say about the Seahawks (except that performance-enhancing drugs don’t seem to be turning up in San Francisco bloodstreams).

72. By phatalerror on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

Correction: “The Seahawks were gifted half of the touchdowns the 49ers got in their matchup” should read, “The Seahawks were gifted half of the turnovers the 49ers got in their matchup.”

73. By ace on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

how bout this one we have a well coached and disaplined team

74. By ace on Jun 25, 2013 | Reply

say that about seatle

75. By phatalerror on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

“how bout this one we have a well coached and disaplined team… say that about seatle”

How would you begin to attack the coaching and discipline of the Seahawks? (We’ve already acknowledged that some of the players were caught violating the league substance abuse policy, but what would you say in addition to that?)

The 49ers had a 3-0 record against Carroll when Harbaugh was coaching. Then the team made a change. Now the record is 3-1. There’s more than coaching involved here, but I would say that Carroll at least knew how to coach against the 49ers in their present form.

76. By bow53 on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

as usual, nothing good to say about the 49ers,making everybody in here ruin there morning or there day even, what a thick headed S.O.B or i may say ,somebody woke-up on the other side of the hay…..

77. By rjdniner on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

78. By phatalerror on Jun 26, 2013 | Reply

“phatalarror why is it that you make a big production about things that happened last season ?”

Because what happened last season is relevant to today.

I’ll reverse the question: Why does it seem to you such a small thing that Kaepernick had so much to learn at the end of last season?

Of course, we’re keeping this discussion within the scope of the recreational activity of watching football. It happens to be my hobby. If my involvement in a discussion about football should ‘ruin someone’s morning’ (as bow53 alleges), perhaps that person should give their attention to a hobby that will occasionally lead to disappointment they can cope with.

The meaning of my life is unchanged whether I post here or not; I just do it for the intellectual exercise and for something to do. Don’t mistake my frequent posts for some unbalanced interest in professional sports, as in most cases I’m commenting on the users here as much as I’m commenting on the players there. I’ve never been one to jump up and down and swear and curse because the team I rooted for lost; I don’t give such free rein to my emotions because it is in the end my recreation, not my life. It is however interesting to me to observe the evidence of how greatly people’s attitudes are shaped by the media.

79. By ace on Jun 27, 2013 | Reply

yawn zzzzzzz
    hey check this out jerry rice to jj stokes 41 yard td p a s s ?

80. By rjdniner on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

81. By dave g. on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

Don’t get him started rjdriner. Fatal-Error is like a b!tch. He will go on and on and on and on and on and on and does it really matter? Just let him think he is right about everything. Thats what he is wanting people to think anyway.

82. By bow53 on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

yup, mr .know how, who lives in the past, bottom line is, his still a thick headed S.O.B……

83. By rjdniner on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

What going to be fun is waiting to see his response .you could call it fatal-error baiting……

84. By ace on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

delaine walker lost his aunt (hit by drunk driver) after the superbowl, i did not know that, was that reported locally ?

85. By ace on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

marcus looks good in red and gold

86. By phatalerror on Jun 28, 2013 | Reply

“I was going to answer your question about KAP, but you already knew that and besides the answer I give you would write a novel about it any way ……”

Well, you did make that easy. Your justifications sum to zero. No novel is needed.

87. By rjdniner on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

I wasn’t trying to make it hard in the first place .justification ? …

88. By phatalerror on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

“I wasn’t trying to make it hard in the first place .justification ? …”

You suggest that your opinion to the contrary had great merit, but then you refuse to put forth the effort to express it, and attribute that lack of effort to me.

Then you had the gall to suggest your non-answer baited me.

I actually thought you were better than that, but you took the easy way out and pandered to the trolls. Disappointing.

89. By rjdniner on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

Why should I put the effort in just to please you REALLY?

90. By phatalerror on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

“Why should I put the effort in just to please you REALLY?”

I’m not asking for that. I don’t need that. I’d just appreciate that if someone is going to object to something I say here in the manner you did, namely:

…that you would either back up what you said, or else not make the objection in the first place. We’ve disagreed until now, but I haven’t exactly been disrespectful toward you.

There’s a good four users here who will throw epithets at me all day here, but they have no other resort because every time they tried to argue with me, their arguments got utterly shut down. I can tell from what you’ve written until now that you’re better than that (and know about football today double the sum of knowledge those four will know about football throughout their lives). Don’t devalue what you know by holding it back in favor of petty insults.

91. By dave g. on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

“There’s a good four users here who will throw epithets at me all day here, but they have no other resort because every time they tried to argue with me, their arguments got utterly shut down.”

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I can tell from what you’ve written until now that you’re better than that (and know about football today double the sum of knowledge those four will know about football throughout their lives). Don’t devalue what you know by holding it back in favor of petty insults.”

What a humorous attempt at manipulation. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

92. By rjdniner on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

So you’re saying that these other four users don’t know anything about the game of football? And there user names are, and you’re saying you know everything there is to know about the game at the pro level are you serious. It sounds like you want someone to agree with you about your views when it comes to the sport we all love. With no objections REALLY ……

93. By phatalerror on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

“and you’re saying you know everything there is to know about the game at the pro level are you serious.”

Ah, I never said this. Not once. Nor was it a backhanded compliment that I gave you earlier, as if I condescended to tell you that you know almost as much as I do.

What I do or don’t know isn’t really pertinent to this discussion.

94. By phatalerror on Jun 29, 2013 | Reply

“What a humorous attempt at manipulation. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!”

rjdniner asked what four users I was talking about. He can safely deduce that based on your reaction, you knew I was talking about you. Now there’s only three left, and they’ll speak up soon enough to be recognized.

95. By rjdniner on Jun 30, 2013 | Reply

96. By phatalerror on Jun 30, 2013 | Reply

“All most as much as I do .that right there is saying a lot ……now you’re the one doing the baiting ….”

You didn’t read what I wrote correctly. “Nor was it… as if…” means I never meant to compare my knowledge to yours.

It’s too bad we’re beyond the point where I get the benefit of doubt so that if you incorrectly read something I wrote, you conclude I’m writing with an arrogant tone.

97. By rjdniner on Jun 30, 2013 | Reply

Am done with all this until training camp beings ……

98. By dave g. on Jun 30, 2013 | Reply

“but they have no other resort because every time they tried to argue with me, their arguments got utterly shut down.”

Yeah that’s exactly what happened.
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

OMG! FATAL-ERROR kills me with his “Delusions of grandeur”. Yeah homie, “every time, we all got utterly shut down”. Seriously how can someone even waste their time even trying to prove this guy wrong? He has always been right regardless. Now that is pure comedy. That’s why all I do at this point is laugh and insult him!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

99. By mfkram64 on Jul 1, 2013 | Reply

it’s so funny we arn’t even talking about football…u know why cuz blahblahblah knows nothing about it….just looks up stuff on the web and posts it….he brings nothing to the table….has everyone talking well blahblahblah….thats all it is…blahblahblahblahblahblah…..it has no meaning…what argument? there is nothing to argue it’s the same shi$ over and voer and over……u posted bfore about your life not changing cuz of this blog my doesn’t change either….it’s fun to seee what everyone thinks of the team and their personal thoughts on the team not one player over and over and over and over……u r obsessed with thinking u r the brightest bulb on this post and win all of your arguments when in fact u have no arguements it’s only alex smith u argue about no one else……u r trying to win an arguement we all could care less about…..