MT: Minicamp Rounds Out 49ers Offseason

Posted by Taylor Price on June 11, 2013 – 11:33 AM

Before we begin today’s Morning Tailgate, we’d like to reiterate the condolences felt by the entire 49ers organization following a morning incident at the team’s new stadium construction site.

The team will hold a three-day mandatory minicamp and will come together to finish off the 2013 offseason. Head coach Jim Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman are both scheduled to speak in the afternoon.

More 49ers headlines can be found in today’s Morning Tailgate.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com previewed the upcoming minicamp.

ProFootballTalk.com is looking for fans to pick the 49ers version of Mt. Rushmore.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee caught up with wide receiver Marlon Moore to share his story.

Mike Sando of ESPN.com shared Roger Craig’s glowing comments on Harbaugh.

The 49ers signed third-round draft pick Corey Lemonier.

Camp time.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 34 Comments »

34 Responses to “MT: Minicamp Rounds Out 49ers Offseason”

1. By 11yearswithalex on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Ok 49ers Mt Rushmore is ….Walsh lock …..Montana lock ….Eddie D lock Rice lock …now they should make i9t a 5 guy Mountain with Steve Young …just saying ….but those 4 for sure …without em we would be just another organization

2. By Hermie on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Hard to argue with that 11years…we need two Mts.!!

3. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

i was only thinking players like….joe m, r craig, ronnie l,… dwight c for having made the catch that started it all ?

4. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Anyone who undervalues Ronnie Lott’s part in our SB’s is an idiot.

5. By phatalerror on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Walsh, Montana, Lott, Rice.

In that order. Rice didn’t have to play for a bad team very often, Lott played for a defense complemented by an offense capable of pressuring the offenses of opposing teams, and Montana was made by Walsh.

Despite the fact that detractors argue that those players played for excellent teams, the tape shows you that they all were the best of their kind at their respective positions.

I really wanted to put Roger Craig or Frank Gore, and just couldn’t justify it.

6. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

I really can’t argue that one. Sounds right.

7. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

wait my bad 16, 80, 33 42 rice is obvious choice are u kidding about roger tho ?

8. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

no players only…… coach was well awesome but this should be about players ?
    coach walsh would be arguably the 2nd best coach ever behind coach lombardi ?

9. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

I would actually put Eddie D. ahead of Roger. It is hard to imagine that Dynasty we had without Eddie D. Roger was really good but you cannot argue him as the best RB ever. Can you? The rest of those guys are arguably the best at what they did. Think about it. Loved Roger but lets really be honest with ourselves here.

10. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

33 is huge part of why we won sb’s and lost our chance for 3 peat…opps fumble…try and tackle him with those high knees

11. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

im just saying players play the game, obviously great coaches help lol, but my 49er mt rushmore is for players……16, 80, 33, 42 ….forever

12. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Gore and Craigs numbers are actually quite close. Gore has him on rushing and Craig has him on receiving but obviously Craig has him on the most important stat- SB’s

13. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

that and eddie was the one who lost the 49ers to a woman

14. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

I am in no way taking anything from Craig. The fumble sucked big-time but I will not hold it against him. But aside for Craig being on better teams and the high knee action, I really don’t see him being that much better than Gore.

15. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Hey now. Have respect for Eddie D. Without Eddie D, we don’t have 5 Championships!

16. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

ur right gore is right there, he just doesnt have the rings yet,and a bunch of the other niners young ? has a ring, but for the first mt rushmore it should be 16, 80. 33, and 42, we can make the 2nd one, um 8. 21 . 85 , 52 ? or does young belong with earlier group ?

17. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

ur right eddie d did make it all possible, without him we would have been, still bad, but it hurt when he lost the team causing us years of sucking

18. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

I know people may think I am crazy, but Young should have performed better in his time. To allow the Cowboys to take 3 out of 4 from us with the teams we had is not acceptable. Young was a great QB, but not Mount Rushmore 49er material. I know there are many that will disagree but he was not Montana.

19. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

is it wrong i still wanna slap denise young ? i mean she had no bussines being in a football position of any kind

20. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Not to mention, the GB Packers going through us to go to 2 SB’s. Those were heart breaking. Too many heart breaks to put Young up there. I know it is a team sport but Young had the teams.

21. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

When I say, Young should have performed better I obviously mean when it counted the most because his season stats were crazy good.

22. By phatalerror on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Roger Craig was a tremendous weapon, and most often reliable. His fumble against the Giants is infamous, but not because he was a slouch; he was one of the last people you would have expected to give up a clutch fumble. He’s famous for his knees, but that was a relatively small part of what he brought to the table.

It’s funny how people blame Craig squarely for single-handedly losing a game, while… No, I’m not going to go there. I could, but I won’t.

I don’t really know what to do with Eddie DeBartolo as regards this list when I’ve already included one suit in Walsh. Perhaps it’s just a philosophy, but unless you’re talking about players that succeeded despite bad management (or teams that succeeded despite bad rosters), it seems one coach/owner must be on the list, and besides that, one offensive player, one defensive player, and one playmaker from either side should represent the team. The 49ers just happen to be one of those teams where making such a list is actually easy.

23. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

yeah we all said steve young are u kidding me ? after joe thats a tough act to follow,but he has um the ring…..my presous…..new mt rushmore 21, 52, 85, and……# 7 wooot …….

24. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

25. By phatalerror on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Almost every one of Young’s teams were every bit as good as Montana’s. Young was a better physical specimen, but Montana had the superior intellect and intangibles for the position.

The latter are so underrated, but the significance of them aren’t better seen elsewhere than in the contrast of Montana, Four-time Super Bowl Champion and Young, One-time Super Bowl Champion. To win in the post-season, you need to play smart, and you need to play cool.

26. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

Lets not forget LaMichael James fumble killed the 49ers’ momentum in the SB when we were marching for a score and it resulted in the Ravens driving down the field the other way and converting a TD. No one remembers that one. (just saying). I am not blaming him either,

27. By dave g. on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

I am getting the feeling someone is trying to direct these blogs in a particular direction which is not relevant so I am logging off. Not interested in going down that road.

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS: NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. By phatalerror on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

“I DID CLEARLY SAY, “The fumble sucked big-time but I will not hold it against him.” I don’t see how I blamed Craig “squarely for single-handedly losing a game”. ~ Just making that clear so my words do not get twisted.”

That wasn’t directed at you. There are however a lot of people who have blamed him over the years.

29. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

yes joe was cool, the coolest

30. By ace on Jun 11, 2013 | Reply

and roger was harbaugh would say a footbal player , the highest praise u can give

31. By rjdniner on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

now after looking at the list and the players on there, nothing is being said for the OL THAT MADE IT HAPPEN DURING THE 80,s and the 5 SB,S.. am going to leave it at the that …..

32. By phatalerror on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

I remember Randy Cross without looking up names. The others I would have to research.

As a unit, the 49ers’ offensive line was indeed excellent, and much of that was due to the coaching of Bobb McKittrick. However, there are a lot of linemen in the league today that are better than, or at least comparable to, the ones the 49ers fielded. And if they should go on to finish their careers strong, the individuals on the 49ers’ line will sink further into obscurity.

I have the highest regard for top-tier offensive line play. When you see a quarterback perform at a top ten level in one year and at a low level in another year, or when you see a team suffer through consecutive years without their starting quarterback playing at the end of the season, a lot of that falls on the offensive line. Smith’s separated shoulder? Smith’s second separated shoulder? Offensive line (and an unhealthy dose of horrible playcalling). But while the 49ers’ offensive line played at a high level during their Super Bowl-winning years, none of the individuals were regarded at the “Mt. Rushmore” level.

33. By ace on Jun 12, 2013 | Reply

and the o line will always be the unsung heroes that make evrything else possible while never grabbing much attention thats just the way it is

34. By rjdniner on Jun 13, 2013 | Reply

phatalerror you get a thumps up from me on that post and yes they are the unsung heroes .