Morning Tailgate: Competitive Secondary

Posted by Taylor Price on May 16, 2013 – 10:41 AM

Out of all the upcoming competitions set to take place on the 49ers defense, secondary roles will be most coveted. Cornerback and safety spots will feature the most spirited battles.

That’s the opinion of 49ers beat writer Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

San Francisco’s front-seven appears to be set, other than the starting spot at nose tackle. Ian Williams and Glenn Dorsey are two of the top contenders to fill Isaac Sopoaga’s role as the anchor of the 3-4 defensive alignment.

On the back end of the defense, cornerback and safety will be the position battles to watch. Eric Reid, Craig Dahl and Trenton Robinson are some of the players who will have the opportunity to start at free safety opposite of Pro Bowl safety Donte Whitner. At cornerback, Nnamdi Asomugha’s arrival in San Francisco signaled an interesting competition for defensive back roles in the team’s base and nickel personnel groups.

The upcoming competitions will be intriguing all offseason and should only intensify when Organized Team Activities take place starting next week.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee discussed the workout dedication of A.J. Jenkins.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle analyzed the potential of seventh-round pick Carter Bykowski.

Maiocco looked at the upcoming position battles on the 49ers offensive line.

Evan Silva of NBCSports.com ranked San Francisco as the NFL’s No. 2 offensive line behind New England.

49ers.com checked in with Michael Crabtree to hear about his eagerness for the 2013 season.

CLIP OF THE DAY

Rookie premiere.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 28 Comments »

28 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Competitive Secondary”

1. By M@NEY on May 16, 2013 | Reply

The San Francisco 49ers vs. Baltimore Ravens..
    The NFL GAME America will never forget..

2. By Mutney1 on May 16, 2013 | Reply

Get Mangini. He knows the Pete Carroll defensive mind set. He can also be a good prospective DC when ours gets a head coaching gig in the near future (likely).

3. By phatalerror on May 16, 2013 | Reply

“The San Francisco 49ers vs. Baltimore Ravens..
    The NFL GAME America will never forget..”

What was that again? I couldn’t read it. The lights went out here.

4. By ace on May 16, 2013 | Reply

ROFL

5. By ace on May 16, 2013 | Reply

in 2011 we had no idea what we had for dbs or how good our secondary would be(.when harbaugh arrived), they turned out pretty good our defense quickly became a strength and now we know we have a good defense,i feel like if we solidify the secondary this year this should be a great defense again,ty vic fangio great work again

6. By James on May 16, 2013 | Reply

7. By 49erdefense2012 on May 17, 2013 | Reply

it must make blahblahblah very happy that the 49ers lost the super bowl with kap as the starter, now if it was alex smith as the starting qb I bet he would be singing a different tune, I swear,everything the dude posts seems to be a slight on the 49ers and their current stud qb,,

8. By 49erdefense2012 on May 17, 2013 | Reply

getting back to reality and CURRENT goings on with 49er football, O.T.A’s begin soon and the first steps towards repeating as nfc west champions,,then the playoffs,,and then,,,,,one step at a time

9. By reialmadrid on May 17, 2013 | Reply

10. By bow53 on May 17, 2013 | Reply

yep, O.T.A.’s is just around the corner, sooner or later trainning camp is gonna kick in and before u know it its the regular season, another waiting game, 49defense i second that on ur 1st post today,blahblahblah seems he can’t read he said,lights when out , we all know his always left in the dark,thats why he couldn’t read, i would like to tattoo his forehead w/ the letters “CK7,hopefully he wakes up to reality……………….

11. By dave g on May 17, 2013 | Reply

How is that attempt at humor funny about the lights?

12. By phatalerror on May 18, 2013 | Reply

I find it fascinating that users here are obsessed with my presence here. I haven’t posted anything, and people are positing that I rooted against the 49ers.

For what it’s worth, if Smith had been allowed to start for the 49ers throughout the playoffs, win or lose, there would have been no hard feelings on my end.

13. By dave g on May 18, 2013 | Reply

There goes Phatablahblah with expressing his delicate “feelings” and emotions. Once again logic and “football” talk has been avoid for his personal feelings and ego. His constant digs at our starting QB which as fans we will defend is “all about him” and people are obssessed with “him”. Its ironic who is calling others obsessed when everything always goes back to anti-KAP agendas. That in no way is a definition of “obsessed”. Oh no “it does not apply when my name is Phatalerror because I can throw hypocrisy all over the place when its convenient for me.” What an interesting way to go through life and convince myself that I am smarter than everyone else because I can always be right by contradicting my own past statements & be hypocrital when it best suits me. What a joke.

14. By gary potter on May 18, 2013 | Reply

15. By phatalerror on May 18, 2013 | Reply

“His constant digs at our starting QB which as fans we will defend is “all about him” and people are obssessed with “him”.”

Words. Only words. Show me a time you defended Smith with the ardor I did. You’re a fan of Kaepernick because Kaepernick is your kind of quarterback, and not because he is a 49er. You’re not going to be defending Colt McCoy if he ends up starting this year because of an injury to Colin Kaepernick. Let’s just get that superficially thought-out statement out of the way now.

16. By phatalerror on May 18, 2013 | Reply

“pte. as much as i liked AS he never would have recovered from the hole the defense put us in, and you damm well know it. now get off ck7 back and root for the team.”

You are arguing this point, as most do, in a vacuum. Why did the team end up in holes when Kaepernick was quarterbacking? The answer: Three-and-outs and similarly short drives that produced no points. Smith’s offense contributed to 18 three-and-outs, while Kaepernick’s contributed to 25 (regular season). The negative psychological impact of offensive three-and-outs should not be downplayed. Of the 15 NFL teams that went three-and-out on more than a quarter of their offensive drives during the regular season, only Baltimore, Cincinnati, Houston, and San Francisco went to the playoffs (Note: The 49ers’ three-and-out rate when Smith was quarterbacking was just above 20%).

It is admittedly difficult to directly correlate three-and-out rates to points given up without considering numerous other factors, but there’s no question that the 49ers gave up 103 points on defense and special teams during the first eight weeks of the season, while the same squads gave up 161 points during the second eight weeks (and defensive injuries do not explain all of that gap).

I have repeatedly remarked about the erratic nature of the 49ers’ new-look offense. It would put up highlight plays more frequently, but it did not translate to a team that had the stability that the Smith team had. An offense that keeps their teammates off the field is stronger and fresher. The likelihood was that if Smith was quarterbacking, the defense doesn’t get trashed on successive early possessions in the first place. After all, it didn’t happen much when Smith was quarterbacking, but it happened frequently when Kaepernick did.

Often-ignored fact: Smith’s career comeback win against the Eagles in 2011 was by a bigger margin than any of Kaepernick’s comebacks. “Alex couldn’t” is a falsehood. Alex actually has. It’s just one of many falsehoods circulated concerning the differences between Smith and Kaepernick.

17. By gary potter on May 18, 2013 | Reply

pte: that was not in championship game big difference. i await your next comment

18. By phatalerror on May 18, 2013 | Reply

“that was not in championship game big difference. i await your next comment”

Does it really make a difference? Smith didn’t start out either of his post-season games by throwing a pick-six and putting his team down by seven points before the 49ers’ defense ever hit the field. Smith had two consecutive fourth quarter comebacks in the same game against the Saints in last year’s Divisional Playoff. Smith’s offense scored more points per drive than the eventual Super Bowl-winning Giants’ offense did in the Conference Championship.

Smith played big in his post-season starts. If not for the special teams gaffes in 2011, Smith would have had an opportunity to prove himself again against the Patriots in the Super Bowl, albeit with a receiver corps that had been completely compromised by injuries. It takes an awfully discriminating collection of statistics to make a case that Kaepernick is better in the post-season than Smith is. Such arguments always come back to ‘Kaepernick did it with only 7 career starts.’ Even so, Kaepernick’s team didn’t suck.

Don’t confuse Kaepernick’s production as being the sole result of an individual effort. If the 49ers’ defense doesn’t shut down Matt Ryan’s Falcons’ offense in the second half, the 49ers don’t win. If the lights don’t go out during the third quarter of the Super Bowl, the 49ers don’t come within two touchdowns of the Ravens’ final score.

19. By rjdniner on May 19, 2013 | Reply

what if this and that is always going to be said. phatalerra get over it we ALL KNOW WHAT HAPPEN start looking to the future ,Lets look at some history if I can,t remember who made the tackle on the Cowboy player by crabbing his thigh pad we won,t have been in our first SB ………. QUITE DOWN PLAYING THE EFFORTS OF OUR TEAM IN THE SUPER BOWL …..and quit crying about ALEX …..

20. By SHIP on May 19, 2013 | Reply

Phatalerror-You an idiot with no life. Ask Eleven Years & Jeremy who defended strongly Alex last year. You so ignorant.

21. By SHIP on May 19, 2013 | Reply

I am sure you can look at past posts of Eleven Years and Jeremy getting slammed last year for their anti-Alex propaganda just like you doing with Kap this year.

Its all there for you to see. For you to say: “Show me a time you defended Smith with the ardor I did. You’re a fan of Kaepernick because Kaepernick is your kind of quarterback, and not because he is a 49er.” is completely and rediculously wrong and the proof is there for you to research. You will be surprised by the people who defended Smith last year which blows out your theory. Have fun with that! You are funny man!

22. By phatalerror on May 19, 2013 | Reply

“Its all there for you to see. For you to say: “Show me a time you defended Smith with the ardor I did. You’re a fan of Kaepernick because Kaepernick is your kind of quarterback, and not because he is a 49er.” is completely and rediculously wrong and the proof is there for you to research. You will be surprised by the people who defended Smith last year which blows out your theory.”

Calling jeromy and 7/11 ‘idiots’ for their tunnel vision-views on Alex Smith is not the same as ‘defending Smith’. I’m not wrong at all about how you felt about Smith, because if you felt about Smith as you claim you do, you wouldn’t have been so quick to praise Kaepernick for what reflected a team effort and not individual ability.

I’m calling you a liar. Kaepernick didn’t do half of what Smith did, and did it with twice what Smith had. You know this is true, and yet you have the gall to tell me I need to research what was actually said. Words. Your real opinions are demonstrated by the haste in which you defected from supporting Smith to supporting Kaepernick. Yes, it was the coach’s decision to make, but then you piled on your praise for Kaepernick and repeatedly gushed about how much of an improvement Kaepernick is over Smith.

I don’t need to read last year’s posts. Everything you claim to stand for is disproven by everything you have written regarding this subject in the last six months.

It is interesting however that whereas jeromy and 7/11 couldn’t substantiate any of their views concerning Smith, and thus earned their reputations as forum trolls, you then followed that same pattern of non-justification in regard to Kaepernick. You have become the person you formerly condemned. You are the troll.

23. By dave g on May 19, 2013 | Reply

Fatal-Error-I am not wasting my time like doing research lik eyou. My time is more valuable. You are an uninformed idiot for thinking all it was was “calling jeromy and 7/11 ‘idiots’”.

The point is we stand for exactly the same as we did last year and Eleven & Jeremy were seriously lambasted and I don’t give a F whether you believe it or not. Thats the difference between us. I don’t have to prove sh!t…my guy is starting and my head coach is making the right move which I agree with just like last year.

24. By dave g on May 19, 2013 | Reply

You say, “I’m not wrong at all about how you felt about Smith, because if you felt about Smith as you claim you do, you wouldn’t have been so quick to praise Kaepernick for what reflected a team effort and not individual ability.”

Hey dumb@ss…our stance is consistant…it is about who is the best choice. Kap was unproven, Tolzein was not the guy, Peyton was a risk, so I was for Alex because based on what I saw he was the best choice like Harbaugh saw.

25. By dave g on May 19, 2013 | Reply

After seeing Kap actually perform, he is obviously the best choice.

26. By dave g on May 19, 2013 | Reply

Logical decisions may not always be consistent as to the person but are always consistant in their stance. Emotional decisions are always consistent to the person but are not always consistent in their stance.

We want the best QB, whoever that may be. Right now it is KAP. Last year it was Alex. I don’t think you can relate to that concept.

You want Alex no matter what! Thats the difference between us that you cannot relate to because your delicate emotions overwhelms you which causes your arguments to lack logic.

27. By dave g on May 19, 2013 | Reply

Its the emotional that stays in denial. You say, “I’m calling you a liar” & “I don’t need to read last year’s posts.” Haaaaaaaa! Boy will you feel stupid if you take the time & many many many on here remember. I am happy, you the one bitter. The QB I want is starting. The QB you want is a KC Chief! Good luck living in bitterness and rooting against the 49ers to desperately grasp to trying to be right. Ahhhh…yeah thats the definition of a 49er fan! Keep living in bitterness Fatal Error! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

28. By dave g on May 19, 2013 | Reply

Fatal- Error. I made my points to your idiocy and you just continue to type emotional biasness over and over again crying about a guy who is not even on the SF 49ers anymore & pathetically hating on KAP. You are only pathetically trying to salvage some crumb of dignity by repeating things that have been proven to be BS by you. I have better things to do with my time then to keep going in circles. Keep wasting your life in bitterness and rooting against KAP just like a Seahawks fan will. You are only this years Eleven Years & Jeremy. No more and no less.