Morning Tailgate: 2013 NFL Draft Recap

Posted by Taylor Price on April 29, 2013 – 11:30 AM

The 49ers entered the 2013 NFL Draft with 13 draft picks. When it was all said and done, San Francisco added 11 players to the roster.

The latest additions to Jim Harbaugh’s team offer size and toughness to the current squad. Many of the newcomers offer position versatility, too.

From Eric Reid (pick No. 18 overall) to Marcus Cooper (pick No. 252 overall), the 49ers addressed needs through the draft and found quality prospects to compete with an already talented roster.

Today’s Morning Tailgate recaps the 2013 draft.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee detailed the moves of other NFC West clubs.

Steve Corkran of the San Jose Mercury News compared San Francisco’s moves to division foes.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee reported Nate Montana will have a tryout at the upcoming 49ers rookie minicamp.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com recapped the 2013 draft from San Francisco’s perspective.

Mike Sando of ESPN.com reviewed San Francisco’s pick of tight end Vance McDonald.

Jarrett Bell of USA Today looked at how the 2013 draft impacts San Francisco’s future.

Charley Casserly of NFL.com called Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore draft day steals.

Visit 49ers.com/draft for all 49ers.com draft content.

CLIP OF THE DAY

Crabtree was loving last night’s big win.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 44 Comments »

44 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: 2013 NFL Draft Recap”

1. By 11yearswithalex on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

nice tweet crabs …….and what a draft still expect some more moves …freeagent style later but all in all nice adds and look for this season to be really tough lot of teams we kicked out that think they are better than us so we will have the target this year …..the ravens blah blah they will slip into oblvion again

2. By dave g on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

GREAT DRAFT BY BAALKE AND HARBAUGH! THANK YOU.

3. By dave g on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Thank God we did not get the “Honey Badger”. That clown is a disaster waiting to happen!

4. By dave g on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

I am really surprised the Seachickens did not go after him. They love those low character guys!

5. By tanglung on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

THE SAN FRANCISCO FORTY NINERS

6. By johninchina on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

I echo the “great draft” comments and am so proud to be a 49er fan and share the belief in Marcus Lattimore to be a great talent . . . and I share his faith for a full and timely recovery! His pick was the highlite of the 2013 draft, the entire draft! Jed, you are truly an acorn from the same tree of excellence in vision for our 49ers . . . the legacy of NFL champions by the Bay continues . . . we are “the faithful”! BTW, Baalke and JH, you share honors as well as all the staff , thanks !

7. By ace on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

this is called “great reads on tricky plays”

8. By ace on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

eric reid vs lattimore lol now they will play together

9. By ace on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

this is an interesting read i didnt know what was going on when we traded up to get vance M
    but looks like another “boss” move and convienently the pick before seattle, we got the bigger te from rice ….nice

10. By ace on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

“This wasn’t a flashy play from McDonald, but it’s one NFL coaches will like.
    On an off-tackle run to the left, the bulky tight end found a defender at the second level—albeit a small cornerback—and drove him out of bounds, blocking through the whistle”

11. By ace on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

and this kid lattimore is fun to watch freshman year he exploded into the sec

12. By ace on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

god i cant wait till preseason starts and the coming season, and the playoffs,then our next superbowl !!!

13. By ace on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

“as soon as the 2013 NFL Draft ended, the San Francisco 49ers got to work negotiating with undrafted free agents. The deals are not yet “official”, but the team has reportedly come to terms with ten players. One of those players is British discus-thrower Lawrence Okoye.
    The former rugby player has never played football, but his dad played defensive end at Nebraska, and the younger Okoye is interested in the game. He comes to the 49ers with raw athleticism that is kind of ridiculous. He’s 6’5”, 308 pounds and ran a 4.78-40 at a regional combine. He’ll get a chance to work with defensive line coach Jim Tomsula, which strikes me as an ideal situation. Tomsula is a great coach, and if anybody can get the most out of Okoye, it would be Tomsula.
    Thankfully, as great of an athlete as Okoye is, he recognizes that he has a long way to go before he will be NFL-ready. Yesterday afternoon, he posted a brief message on his Facebook page”

“I’m absolutely thrilled and honoured to be joining the San Francisco 49ers and I must thank the franchise for the wonderful trust and support they’ve already placed in me. It’s truly humbling.

It really is a dream come true to have even got this far, but I’m under no illusions, this is where the hard work really starts. Like I did with my rugby, and then most recently in my discus career, I intend to immerse myself in American football and work around the clock to pay back the support of the franchise and over time realise my potential in the sport.

I was incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to represent my country in a home-town Olympic Games, in a sport I love, and I’m counting my blessings I have another opportunity to fulfil my other childhood dream.

As I say though, now is the time for hard work and to get my head down. Thank you so much for all the wonderful support you’ve given me, it’s a huge motivation, and you have my word, I will give it everything I’ve got.”

sounds like a winner hard work and great natural athlete

14. By Steven on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations to 49ers organization for a great draft.
    I love the selections across the board, real football players.
    I would have liked to see 1 more big corner selected, unless Cooper surprises.

Future looks bright for years to come

15. By phatalerror on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

In completely unrelated news, former 49ers guard Adam Snyder was released by the Arizona Cardinals one year after signing a generous free-agent contract. In 2011, he was promoted to the 49ers’ starting lineup after it was clear to Jim Harbaugh that Chilo Rachal was not a starting-caliber NFL guard. Snyder, of course, wasn’t either. He was just the best option available.

Colin Kaepernick never had to play behind such horrible offensive linemen.

16. By ace on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

didnt that give us a comp pick ? for snyder ? lol those losers

17. By gary potter on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

Baalke and coach JH. you hit my trifecta plus. what a great job.
    go niners

18. By ace on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

im no gm in the nfl but some teams did so poorly in the draft……cowboys ,it makes me happy they will still s u c k, or be worse somehow ?

19. By tanglung on Apr 29, 2013 | Reply

“Colin Kaepernick never had to play behind such horrible offensive linmen.”

Blahblahblah just can’t stop bashing Kaepernick. Had to get a jab in. If Alex were able to run like Colin, Maybe Alex wouldn’t have recieved that concussion that altamately sent him to the Chief’s. It is REALLY time to LET GO blahblahblah.

20. By mfkram64 on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

“compeletly unrelated news” excactly so why r u still talking about it? u r right tanglung LET IT GO!!!!!

21. By dave g on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

It is hilarious how incredibly bitter Phatabalahblah is and how he will twist any story for his love and adoration for Alex. You like that pathetic loser that just won’t accept that she is just not into you regardless of all the reasons & excuses you come up with. You continue to make excuses as to why you are so good for her even when she has remarried and has kids. Dude move on…it does not matter anymore.

22. By phatalerror on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

“You like that pathetic loser that just won’t accept that she is just not into you regardless of all the reasons & excuses you come up with. You continue to make excuses as to why you are so good for her even when she has remarried and has kids.”

Chances are that if you need to talk like that to look important, there’s no one in your life that takes you seriously. There is, however, a Mrs. PhataLerror.

So, so ignorant you are. And lonely, with only equally lonely nobodies as your companions.

23. By mfkram64 on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

hey dave as usual blahblahblah doesn’t get it…….went right over his head…..us real fans will have to live with it…the pessism and bashing and blahblahblah….i guess just don’t read his post….cuz they r useless to us real niner fans……

24. By tanglung on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

So blahblahblah. If there is a Mrs. blahblahblah and I say IF, Do you love her more than Alex. And you do know that Alex is happily married and doesn’t swing that way. RIGHT. Your like a phatalattraction. Dude, GET A LIFE ! ! !

25. By 11yearswithalex on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

woah guys little self respect here please ……alex will fall flat i mean really coach gave him his best shot with our team …KC is nowhere near our teams defense so the turtle style of alex will ultimately fail …alex needs a really good defense to keep the score low so he can checkdown throws all day …..he will be hammered and out of work after this year …….but he has millions so it is the niners with egg on their faces and will be a long time for us to get it off ….maybe 3 more years with the egg of alex on the niners and their pocket books

26. By Hermie on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

WaaWaaWaa…Dave G. I knew it would go over his head!! As soon as I finished reading yours I knew he would respond with unrelated jibberish!!! LOL

27. By Hermie on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

I look at the draft and ask the question…Did the 9ers improve their team from what it was before the draft and it has to be a resounding YES!! They filled need and picked up some high prospect, low initial salary cap players that, once healthy may really contribute!!

28. By Hermie on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

What a great time to be a 9ers fan…It is looking like it will have been worth it staying faithful to the team through all the lean years in the 70’s and 2000’s!!

Baalke and Harbaugh have built that attitude of tough, hard football…I believe the team will feel as though everyone will have to go through them to get to the SB…No Brag, Just Fact!!

29. By ace on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

dance party penalty against you guessed goldson lol

30. By dave g on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

So your mom goes by Mrs. PhataLerror? Interesting. Not sure your mother and son relationship is of any significance here. Alex has moved on and so should you. I am sure Mrs. Phatalerror would like to see her son not dwell on the past.

31. By dave g on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Our TEAM is shaping up to be BEASTS and everyone knows its coming which is bringing on bandwagon fans.

Guess who is #1 in overall merchandise sales numbers for last year and has been going even stronger 1st quarter this year?

32. By dave g on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Hey Phatalerror…maybe if you a good boy and eat all your veggies, Mrs. Phatalerror will buy you a Kaepernick jersey and you can finally ditch the Alex Smith one! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

33. By ace on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

that reminds me i need a new jersey, my number 8 i cant find and my #11 says smith on the back…….my birthday is in may sooo….. i might go 21 cuz he’s been so good for so long

34. By ace on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

i think vegas has us 7-1 favored to win the superbowl :)

35. By hackphx on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

Really respect Alex’s dogged determination and courage. He’s an upper half, no mistakes QB. This bunch of race horses needs a top 5 guy, which I think Kap will be by the end of the season. We have a pro bowl OL. We have a Demi god tight end, and a stable of capable WRs. I bet LMJ emerges as the League’s premier spread offense back and he doesn’t get headaches. Gore is a HOF caliber back, who just needs a breather, and that breather comes from Hunter who could start for at least 1/2 of the teams in the league. These guys can win a SB without a stellar defense, but of course they have one

36. By ace on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

and sadly for the raiders they are 100-1 odds to win the sb……this makes me happy :)

37. By ace on Apr 30, 2013 | Reply

quinton patton vs teaxs a&m 21 catches 233 yards and 4 tds thats amazing

this kid might make it

38. By mfkram64 on May 1, 2013 | Reply

ace… patton is going to make it and will be a sleeper wr this year…..Jenkins will get pushed big time and Williams an manningham r question marks cuz of injuries…patton will be 3rd wr watch out….

39. By 49erdefense2012 on May 1, 2013 | Reply

ACE,would you PLEASE cut down on the video postings,its the main reason why I dont participate on this,my fav 49er blog,anymore,I get it,but dude,there are other ways to get your point across,link just post the link,it gets redundant when im trying to read and reply and 75-80% of the page is videos,

40. By 49erdefense2012 on May 1, 2013 | Reply

hey,every now and then is fine,but you have been filling upthe blog pages for the last week with endless vid’s bro,,,this is a chat forum not your own personal youtube library,,LOL,,

41. By 49erdefense2012 on May 1, 2013 | Reply

and let me just say this,I saw blahblahblah’s post about a mrs blahblahblah and I must say he must be so critical of everything kap because of how critical mrs blahblahblah is of mr blahblahblah after his endless futile attempts at pleasing mrs blahblahblah,,,,put that in your kaepernick haters pipe and smoke it you idiot

42. By tanglung on May 1, 2013 | Reply

LMFAO

43. By tanglung on May 1, 2013 | Reply

It’s obvious HE (MRS Blahblah) wears the pant’s. This is why blahblah has such a crush on Alex. LOL

44. By SHIP on May 1, 2013 | Reply

The Mrs. Blahblahblah talk is cracking me up! Let me get this straight, unless we have a Mrs., a man will never be taken seriously. So an individual has no self worth without a spouse? Now…this outlook summarizes & exposes Blahblahblah like no other comment. I don’t even need to point out all this says about him because it is the obvious outlook of a delicate and fragile individual : ) Listen all ya single playas out there enjoying life and loving the ladies. Forget the great job you have & the beautiful ladies who can’t wait to hear you pop the question, you are a loser because you don’t have a Mrs! You “old maids” you..or would that be “old butlers”? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Fellas your biological timeclock is ticking….you better close that deal and get married so you can be taken seriously no matter how attractive or ugly she is! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!