Morning Tailgate: Seven-Round Roundup

Posted by Taylor Price on April 24, 2013 – 10:53 AM

If you’ve projected a seven-round mock draft this week (Peter Schrager of FoxSports.com and Josh Norris of NFL.com) hats off to you.

It takes guts to fill out a 32-pick mock draft and even more fortitude to make 254 draft predictions. But that’s exactly what those two NFL scribes have done.

The 49ers have 13 selections in the upcoming draft, five of their own – five from trades with Kansas City, Carolina, Indianapolis, Cleveland and Miami – three were awarded as compensatory selections.

San Francisco has multiple picks in the second, third, fourth, sixth and seventh rounds. The 49ers draft pick, noted by round and overall selection are listed below.

49ers draft picks (round, #): 1, 31 / 2, 34 / 2, 61 / 3, 74 / 3, 93 / 4, 128 / 4, 131 / 5, 157 / 6, 173 / 6, 180 / 7, 237 / 7, 246 / 7, 252.

For perspective on first-round and late-round targets, we’ve summarized Schrager and Norris’ seven-round mocks in today’s Morning Tailgate

Schrager’s Selections

Fourth Round

128. San Francisco – Stephan Taylor, RB, Stanford
131. San Francisco (Comp) – Aaron Mellette, WR, Elon

Fifth Round

157. San Francisco (from Indianapolis) – Eric Herman, G/C, Ohio

Sixth Round

173. San Francisco from (Cleveland via Philadelphia) – Everett Dawkins, DT, Florida State
180. San Francisco (from Miami) – Moe Lee, CB, Utah

Seventh Round

227. San Francisco (from Cincinnati) – Dan Giordano, DE, Cincinnati
246. San Francisco (Comp) – DeVonte Christopher, WR, Utah
252. San Francisco (Comp) – Matt Brown, RB, Temple

Norris’ Selections

First Round

31. San Francisco 49ers: Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama.

Second Round

34. 49ers: D.J. Swearinger, S, South Carolina.
61. 49ers: Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford.

Third Round

74. 49ers: Matt Scott, QB, Arizona.
93. 49ers: Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU.

Fourth Round

128. 49ers: Trevardo Williams, OLB, UConn.
131. 49ers: Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor.

Fifth Round

157. 49ers: Barrett Jones, C, Alabama.

Sixth Round

173. 49ers: Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford.
180. 49ers: Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida.

Seventh Round

237. 49ers: Brandon Magee, LB, Arizona State.
246. 49ers: Jared Smith, DT, New Hampshire.
252. 49ers: Zach Line, FB, SMU.

In other draft news…

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee listed his possibilities for all 13 of San Francisco’s selections.

Jerry McDonald of the San Jose Mercury News shared his mock draft.

Jarrett Bell of USA Today shared how the 49ers are using analytics to learn about this year’s draft prospects.

Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com offered his 2013 mock draft.

Chippewa tradition was detailed in this 49ers.com feature story on Staley.

Tags:
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 21 Comments »

21 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Seven-Round Roundup”

1. By jk on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

I really cannot us seeing so many early offensive picks. I predict 4 or 5 go D.

2. By corvaninerfan on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

I like parts of both mocks…for Schrager’s I think I’d rather have Jesse Williams or Jenkins than Hankins. Also, Terrance Williams is an awful pick at # 61. Take a big CB there and grab Da’Rick Rogers in the 3rd rd. He’s a stud WR who could be Boldin’s eventual replacement. See no reason to draft Barrett Jones…Harbaugh has Kilgore and Looney waiting to compete at C after this season. That’s where you take Travis Kelce to be the #2 TE. I like Stephon Taylor…very durable, versatile RB. No good reason to take another WR in the 4th…get your OLB or OT there. As for the rest, meh.

Norris’ mock starts off better…getting JW to beef up the DL, Swearinger for FS and Ertz at TE. Absolutely no reason to draft any QB in the 3rd…that’s where you can get a big CB and/or a WR (Rogers). I get Mathieu’s a playmaker and all, but at 5-9 will be an undersized CB in the NFL. I’d agree on him only after taking a bigger CB. I like Trevardo Williams…very good for OLB depth. Same comments on T. Williams. 4th rd get your OT, possibly another DL (DE). Same comments on B. Jones. The rest, meh.

3. By ant szeto on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

Niners won’t use all 13 picks. they will trade up or down to stock more picks for years coming. no way i3 rookies will make their roster.

4. By tanglung on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

49ERS

5. By justin on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

corvaninerfan i’d take Mathieu have you seen the turnover that this guy can make happen I feel he’s the top DB this year yea he’s small but look back 18years ago when people has said the same about Ray Lewis oh an cant for get about Ed Reed all of those guy has soon there the best at what they do why not Mathieu ?

6. By Daniel on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

?

7. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

I like the hankins pick that kid was born to be a natural 3-4 NT,terrance williams,barret jones,stephan taylor,darius slay,zach ertz,( harbaugh’s hand picked guy at stanford ) cyprien,moe lee, ,,and a late round qb,,,rodgers brother or colby cameron with the 7th round pick,,those are the guys I want and I dont care what order they get drafted inas long as we get them, that is not too many people to sign

8. By Missouri 9er on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

I believe they have to trade away some of these picks 13 is a ton of picks that we could use in coming years. you can bet GM and Coach are all over that already. Need A stud DT , S, TE ( Ertz would be good ), C, 2-CBs, DE, WR . thats 8 picks for an already solid team, trade rest of picks for futue. ( Just my opinion )Go Niners!!!!

9. By Adolfo707 on Apr 24, 2013 | Reply

I like the tyrann mathieu pick. He seems like he can be coached up, and the kid can play like cortland finnegan. Sure he has a history, but it isn’t that much of a risk to take a player like him in this draft

Past that note, I really think they will trade up for a player they want or for next years draft. there will be alot of “star” power next year with players coming out.

Aside from that, I have faith in The niners. GO 49ers!

10. By CaseyBeggs on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

While I do think we need to look for a larger CB or two in the draft, if Mathieu is available late in the 3rd or early in the 4th I would say jump on him. He has some off the field issues and is on the short side for an NFL CB but he has the potential to be a game changer at the next level.

11. By CaseyBeggs on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

And I am personally hoping that we snag one of the top safetys in the draft with our first pick. The only way I would see that going any differently is if an impact DL or DE slips down the draft board and the niners trade up to grab him. Either scenario I would be thrilled with.

12. By mfkram64 on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

they will have to trade at least 4 picks…there is no way they can pay all the picks so trade 4 to 5 picks this year to move up or for the next 2 years…..i like trading picks this year for future years…..word out there is they r willing to trade up which i don’t like but if the guy they want is there and they need to trade than in harbaugh an baalke we trust……

13. By Hermie on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I think they trade up only for a DB. If they do that…I think they will take an offensive guy with one of their first 3 picks. Otherwise, I think they go “D” with their first 3 picks. Looking forward to seeing if they trade up tonight!!

I just don’t see them going with a WR with their No. 3 pick. With Manningham and Williams slated to be back, I think they could certianly wait on that. I could see a tight end though!

14. By smuman on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I say they trade all three 7th round picks for a 4th rounder.
    And they trade both 6th round picks and the 5th round pick and trade up for a high 3rd round pick.
    So that’s one pick in the 1st, two in the 2nd, three in the 3rd, and three in the 4th.
    I could even see Baalke trading up further and getting all the picks this year in the first three rounds.

15. By CaseyBeggs on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

I don’t beleive all of those picks are available to be traded. You can’t trade any compensatory picks in the draft.

16. By mfkram64 on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

if they trade up they should take richardson that’s it d-line guy a beast…trade their 1st rd and second rd second pick to move up than use that 1st second rd pick and take hopkins wr from clemson….they can go and get a safety in 3rd rd rambo from georgia a steal solid safety eveyone is over looking..i know manningham and williams a coming back but they will not be 100% this year..hopkins brings big time play 18 td’s last year.

17. By bow53 on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

THIS IS IT GUYS D–DAY……

18. By Daniel on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

Niners trade up to take Star L, 2nd round Jonathan Cyprien and 3rd round TE or CB in the honey badger…

19. By Ryan Hurst on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply

49ERS Gold Blooded Empire is on the Rise!!!!
    Check out this fan page for all the updates on the draft & team info!!

20. By mfkram64 on Apr 25, 2013 | Reply