MT: Lattimore Compared to Frank Gore

Posted by Taylor Price on April 10, 2013 – 11:05 AM

Both Frank Gore and Marcus Lattimore suffered multiple knee injuries in college. Both, however, are considered highly talented running backs, ones who have been known as explosive play-makers during their respective careers.

Gore stands as the San Francisco 49ers all-time leader in rushing yards, carries and rushing touchdowns. At 29, Gore is also coming off a Pro Bowl season, the fourth of his career.

Lattimore,  the NCAA’s national freshman of the year in 2009, has yet to make a lasting career in the NFL. He’s still aiming to be drafted in 2013 after suffering his second major knee injury at the University of South Carolina.

However, the comparisons between the two are still easy to dissect.

Gore was a third-round draft pick by the 49ers in 2005 and proved to be a brilliant selection for San Francisco.

Lattimore, on the other hand, stands poised to follow in Gore’s footsteps. The two also developed a relationship last year. Thanks to 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver, a college teammate of Lattimore, the two were put in touch after the running back prospect tore all three major knee ligaments in his right knee against the University of Tennessee.

Lattimore later compared himself to Gore at the 2013 Scouting Combine.

“I feel like we both run hard,” Lattimore said. “He runs like nobody’s there. He runs with total destruction. I feel like if I could compare my game to anybody, it would be Frank Gore. He’s got low pads, he’s got great vision, he can see the whole field. Great balance.”

The comparisons between the two running backs continued this week in a recent episode of John Gruden’s Camp on ESPN.

The former NFL head coach asked Lattimore about both major knee injuries he suffered in college and how he’s been able to bounce back from the hardships.

“Anything that comes to me in life,” Lattimore began, “I feel like I’ve been through it all. Nothing can ever take the smile off my face because I’ll never take anything for granted again.”

Lattimore continued to detail the lessons he’s learned through rehab and why he’s pursuing a career in the NFL.

“I love football,” the South Carolina star told Gruden. “My kids they’re going to watch this one day and they’re going to see my dad never gave up.

“My story relates to everybody…Adversity introduces a man to himself.”

Gruden later commented that his father ribbed him for not drafting Gore back in 2005. When the 49ers running back broke a big run against a Gruden-coached Tampa Bay Buccaneers team, the elder Gruden immediately sent his son a text message with a reminder of his praise for Gore.

It remains to be seen where Lattimore gets drafted in 2013, but his story is one to watch come April 25, especially with how it compares to San Francisco’s own starting running back.

More NFL Draft and 49ers headlines can be found in today’s Morning Tailgate.

NFL.com offers mock draft selections for the 49ers from multiple analysts. Alabama NT Jesse Williams is a popular choice.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee wondered if Cal wide receiver Keenan Allen will be available for the 49ers and also wrote about San Francisco watching a pro day for Oregon safety John Boyett.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle checked in with a story about Demarcus Dobb’s offseason rehab.

Branch also wondered if Pro Bowl guard Mike Iupati is next in line for a contract extension.

NewSantaClaraStadium.com covered the 49ers coaches taking a tour of the new stadium in Santa Clara and how to book your own tour of the future home of the 49ers.

49ers.com recapped CEO Jed York’s recent comments to NFL Network.

TV49’S CLIP OF THE DAY

Bravo, Joe.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 36 Comments »

36 Responses to “MT: Lattimore Compared to Frank Gore”

1. By tanglung on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

THE SAN FRANCISCO FORTY NINERS

2. By manutdposts on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Nice post! For soccer, please check my blog

3. By ace on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

compared to frank gore ? so this kid has the heart of a lion ? it takes a lot to be compared to frank gore , maybee we should draft him for the future

4. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

SOCCER???? ARE YOU SERIOUS???????? THE LEAST MOST POPULAR SPORT IN AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. By tanglung on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Soccer? Football is where you really SCORRRRRRRE…

6. By phatalerror on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

They put down their fellow fans, and then they put down the fans of entirely different sports.

Welcome to the 49ers.com comments section: There’s plenty of Little Man Syndrome and Inferiority Complex to be seen here.

Pathetic. It calls into question the state of your mental health.

7. By tanglung on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

Fellow fake fan, this is THE 49ERS website not soccer idiot. How Pathetic your mental health is.

8. By ace on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

well put phatalerror its not becoming of fans to attack each other on this site

9. By ace on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

lets play best draft picks worst draft picks ever for the 49ers
    best draft pick ever 49ers this should be the one thing we can all agree on #16 joe montana superbowl joe you cant draft better than superbowl mvp qb i dont think
    worst draft pick ever hmmmm now i need some help here im just gonna throw one out there i know we had worse but i always wondered why did we draft renaldo nemiah ?

10. By ace on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

wait kwame harris

11. By ace on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

or if you say since 2000 well then best p willis ?

12. By ace on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

and with the 31st pick in the 2013 draft ACE selects Eric Reid FS LSU
    and with the 34th pick in the 2013 draft ACE selects Margus Hunt DE out of nowhere
    ok those are my picks maybe wrong order ?

13. By tanglung on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

49ERS

14. By ECKMAN on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

haha this is 49ers, not soccer dogg… but you were already bashed and told that, its obvious we are all 49er fans, why are we arguing and talking about soccer? anyways, I m just excited for the new year and the draft… I trust my coaches and I m just excited, I dont need to pretend that I know what to do more than they do

15. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

seriously phatalerror? you put down kaepernick with every chance you get, talk about calling the kettle black,,,your a f,u,c,k,i,n,g, hypocrite, and soccerr IS the least most favorite sport in america, thats not my fault,its just fact,

16. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

your one to talk, you put down the 49ers starting qb in any manner you can and then you question someone else’s state of mental health?? you need to grow up,,its a well known fatc that soccer is a sport for the hispanic populace of the united states,there are other ethnic groups that enjoy the gamebut the majority of fans belong to the hispanic culture of america,you saw that I made mention about it and tried to jump on my case like I was speaking untruths,,your an idiot,,,and always will be,your comment alone prove this fact,,,,f,u,c,k, soccer the most boring game invented,aside from golf,and tennis

17. By Hermie on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

18. By mfkram64 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

hey 49er defense blahblahblah will put kap. down all year and will wait to say i told u so….he is no fan of the niners…now lets get to the draft….i’ve been saying this kid lattimore is worth grabbing in the late rounds….let him learn from gore for 2 years and than let him step in and take over starting job….

19. By Hermie on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

20. By mfkram64 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

my draft would go like this…cyprien, carradine,mathieu,jenkins,trade out,lattimore,reed

21. By tanglung on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

Go 49ERS………….. hmmmmm… I wonder who will give me a thumbs down…..hmmmmmm…..Who ever it is ( blahblahblah ) I give you a middle finger up….LMFAO…

22. By 49er4life on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

I think Margus hunt will be a bust and a waste of a pic. Yes, he is a monster, but he has terrible strength in the trenches and is only good at blocking kicks due to his long wingspan

23. By 49er4life on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

We should look into lattimore as a 4th-5th round pick if he is still there. Not many guys make it in those rounds and hes a big hit or miss late pick. Good replacement behind gore especially since he needs time to recover and learn.

1st pick should be DL (williams?)
    2nd should be a Safety (reid or cyprien)
    3rd pick should be a CB (Robert Ashford (sleeper))

24. By phatalerror on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

“I stayed off for a week, but see our favorite post master blahblahblah is still at it!! But, now that he knows he can get you guys going with every blog he sends out…it is a kick for him!! LOL”

Considering we were talking about soccer, that’s actually kind of funny.

“So…here is a question for Mr. Phatal…who were you “before” phatal??? JR BACA (doesn’t use enough capital letters)…KDB…That’s a possibility!! They were the “biggest” Alex supporters even when he did not play so well!!”

None of the above, nor anyone else. PhataLerror has been my only avatar since before 2000. The 49ers were my favorite team in the NFL since my childhood, but I didn’t post to this blog prior to last year.

I don’t even recognize the names you make reference to, but in general my style of communication seems unique among prevailing commenters on this website.

25. By bow53 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

yaah, but ur stuck in time…MOVE ON!!!!!!!and stopBRINGING down CK7…and talk about something positive about r belove franchise , THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS…and if u got nothing to say nice , then , do us all a favor and dissapear….cuz’ thats how we communicate around here…just to let u know…..

26. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

for as quick as blahblahblah is to respond to ANYTHING PRO KAEPERNICK, if he would have read the idiots soccerr post,it was QUITE OBVIOUS the idiot wanted to talk about soccerr,,LOOK AT HIS POST,,,”NICE POST,FOR SOCCERR,CHECK OUT MY BLOG,,,its TOTALLY obvious the dude wants to talk about soccerr,its just another lame attempt by blahblahblah to put someone down,,and I dont see anything in my post that attacks you ace,,,

27. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

AND WHERE DOES IT SAY I PUT THE DUDE DOWN????? I PUT DOWN THE MOST BORING!!! SPORT,,GOLF HAS MORE ACTION THAN SOCCERR,,,AT LEAST IN GOLF THE BALL GOES IN THE WHOLE,,,,ALOT,,,IN SOCCERR YOU MOST ALL THE TIME GET 90 MINS. OF,,,,NOTHING,,,I BELIEVE ITS CALLED NIL,,,,,B O R I N G ,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST

28. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

you know phatalblahblahblah, you put your foot in your mouth almost as much as richard sherman does,,,anyone else catch the liars interview on nfl am this morning? the dude is a chronic liar,,,

29. By tanglung on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

The 49ers WERE my favorite team in the nfl since my childhood. The key word WERE. It’s obvious THE 49ERS are no longer your favorite team in the nfl mr blahblahblah because if they WERE, you wouldn’t bash them every chance you get. As long you bash the 49ERS / KAEPERNICK, I will blahblahblah you to d e a t h. Why don’t you go away forever. A week is not long enough.

30. By ace on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

sorry i was refering to another thread water under the bridge

31. By ace on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

and that wasnt you talking smack it was some low lifes we have around here

32. By mfkram64 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

hey ace half the time I don’t know what u r talking about

33. By mfkram64 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

49erdefense I hear u….f Sherman….I want to light him up this year….and lets all agree blahblahblah loves to bash colin kaepernick….he says “the 49ers were my favorite team since my childhood” quote WERE? the forty niners HAVE BEEN MY FAV. TEAM! go away please u will just down on r beloved team…..u r a loser!

34. By mfkram64 on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

ace I don’t get were u r coming from half the time……REALLLY!

35. By ace on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

good that makes 2 of us lol

36. By ace on Apr 11, 2013 | Reply

i was refering to those who love to talk trash for no reason , but that was another thread(chat) from yesterday and before …..water under the bridge ?