Morning Tailgate: Davis Extension

Posted by Taylor Price on April 5, 2013 – 11:24 AM

Anthony Davis earned a second contract from the San Francisco 49ers. With the starting right tackle agreeing to a five-year extension that’ll keep him with the 49ers through the 2019 season, the team has continued its recent trend of rewarding hard-working draft picks with long-term financial commitments.

Davis joins NaVorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, Andy Lee and Joe Staley as 49ers draft picks to sign extensions to stay in San Francisco.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle covered the Davis extension.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee shared his take on the signing.

Barrows also previewed the upcoming draft with Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network.

49ers.com spoke exclusively with Davis late Thursday night.

TV49’S CLIP OF THE DAY

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 33 Comments »

33 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Davis Extension”

1. By rjdniner on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

anyone know what the other contracts look like in regards to the rest of the Off line

2. By indiansjoe on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

Glad to see the o-line getting paid

3. By tanglung on Apr 5, 2013 | Reply

49ERS

4. By charles hann on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

This worries me as a fan. I think that is way to high to pay a right tackle who hasn’t, in my mind proved himself to be THAT good. We have to make contracts with Kap, Crab, Bowman, and Iupati as we move along. The I think Iupati has done a much better job at a more important position. I trust the staff though so hopefully I am wrong.

5. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

no,thats not too much money to pay for a RT like davis,there aren’t alot of RT that play like former RG kevin gogan,anthony daiv’s play reminds me pf gogan,as well as his temperment and demeanor,,,iupati’s and kap’s contract are going to demand big money

6. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

rjd, staley is signed untill 2018 I believe,boone through 2015,davis now signed long term,so we need to extend iupati and find the eventual replacement for goodwin,but the guard and tackle spots are about to be locked up untill 2017,,,and thats a good thing

7. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

bowman just got extended hann

8. By rjdniner on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

thank you 49erdef for that info and all of this has happen in just 2 years so who could be a replacement for Goodwin….

9. By mfkram64 on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

u have to pay your guys…and davis is locked in…nexted is iuputi,,,staley is signed this is the best o=line in the league,,now they r set for 3-4 years nice job…

10. By mfkram64 on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

we as niner fans r going to enjoy the next 5 to 10 years football will be great again..just the last two years should be a measuring stick…

11. By ace on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

draft time is fun you never know how good or bad a guy is till he plays,hope we get some quality backups,anybody have any draft “crushes” ?

12. By ace on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

and thank you coach urrrrrrrr great,did any big name free agents want to join the 49ers like 3 years ago, no we had to beg people to play here, now they are begging us beggers to choisers in like 2 solid years awesome turn around no amazing absolutly AMAZING

13. By Lady Faithful on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

Im just glad that both Davis are locked in. Would like to see Woodson back next season..but I guess it’s a big question mark right now?

14. By tanglung on Apr 6, 2013 | Reply

THE SAN FRANCISCO FORTY NINERS

15. By CaseyBeggs on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

Glad to see things have calmed down from yesterday wow lol. But ace, as far as draft crushes go I would love to see Jonathon Cyprien from FIU suit up for the 49ers next season. That guy is an all around safety with a mean streak like Goldson. I could see him as the perfect replacement at a rookie pay grade.

16. By tanglung on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

I went to put some gas in my car last night and I caught the tail end of a sports brief at the pump. I think it said Woodson wound not be signing with THE 49ERS. Did anyone else hear that?

17. By ace on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

looks like teams are interested in him

18. By ace on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

question is do we want him for his 16th season ?

19. By ace on Apr 7, 2013 | Reply

who does he remind you of ?

20. By mfkram64 on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

like this years schedule….colts,texans,falcons,panthers,packers at home and road redskins,jags in london,titians,bucs and saints….gotta like havin all those teams at home…road games r all win able

21. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

,,colts defense is still learning the 3-4 defense,,,the bucs’,,thats one im looking at closely,,we wooped ‘em last time we played them and their defense has gotten much better,,yeah,,we for sure know that,,close game I think it wil be, with our new kicker winning it for us,,,im calling this game right now,,falcons game will be our toughest they have the most formidable offense we play at home this year,,aside from the packers,, the texans have strengthend their defense and get cushing back,, and of course they have foster and that wr whose name I cant remember right now andre something,,pnathers have cam and thats about it,,and I saved arron rodgers and the packers for last,,we all know how much this game means to “THE FAITHFUL’, I dearly hope this game is the final “HOME” game at “THE STICK”,I would love to say we go 8-0 at home this year but I will be realisitc and think with my head yet hope with my heart,,,7-1 at home this year,,,and thats a good year for the final hurrah at ” ‘THE ‘STICK’,,, IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST

22. By tanglung on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

FORTY NINERS

23. By Frankie D on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Anthony Davis so happy for you to get an extension great job 9ers for rewarding hard work but (uhhhhhhh) one question, Didn’t Goldson deserve an extension too, he was the most feared 49er next to Willis and has produced more than Davis has even though I love some Davis and Iupati. We should never let those two go. But that broke my heart that for two years Goldson waited and we dont take care of him. If we are not the same D don’t wonder why.

24. By Frankie D on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

Harbough I believe in you during regular season but when it comes to Postseason it seems like you are not the same coach, the play calling, the team not playing right away ready to go, Your the best we had but lets stick to what got us to the Bowl and the players who got us there (Gore, Vernon, Kapp, etc.) they are the ones who should touch the ball when the game is on the line lets stop experimenting, we lost two big games b/c of expirementing case in point (NY Giants (Kyle Williams) & Ravens (L. James) every time we lost. Gore shoulda touch that rock at least once, he got you to the redzone so reward the veteran not a rookie who just joined the team.

25. By dave g. on Apr 8, 2013 | Reply

ACE…your mama.

26. By tanglung on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

27. By 49erdefense2012 on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

L O L ,,,whats up dave,,,almost draft time

28. By dave g. on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

I know bro. I can’t wait for us to reload our talent. We really need to find a solid replacement for Dashon. And we need more depth at DL.

29. By SHIP on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

We can also use more WRs for KAP & A KICK RETURNER who scares people. We gonna tear it up this year!

30. By rjdniner on Apr 9, 2013 | Reply

hey dave.g that was funny, you know that will only get him started ……

31. By temper11 on Apr 10, 2013 | Reply

No Tailgates since the 5th. Either Taylor is on vacation or someone from the niners front office actually read the threads here and has discontinued it.

32. By dave g. on Apr 12, 2013 | Reply

Man…I am seeing more and more bandwagon fans popping up everywhere I go. Its like they see us getting better so now you see them sporting the RED & GOLD like they have been doing it all along! They were not there during the Erickson, Nolan and even Singletary days but now they acting like they have always been there. Man…thats annoying.

33. By SHIP on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

For your reading Eleven Years. Rest our case.