Morning Tailgate: Harbaugh Stays Driven

Posted by Alex Espinoza on March 22, 2013 – 8:34 AM

Five yards. That’s all that separated the 49ers from winning the sixth Super Bowl in franchise history earlier this year. Coach Jim Harbaugh has had a few weeks to reflect on the tough loss on football’s biggest stage and it appears he’s using the defeat to fuel him for 2013. Ashley Fox of ESPN.com shared comments from Harbaugh on his motivation for the new season going forward.

“Harbaugh is a fiercely competitive man now inspired by defeat, and that will be a problem for the other teams in the NFC West, the rest of the conference and ultimately the entire league,” Fox wrote. “It didn’t seem possible, given the intensity with which he worked his first two seasons as head coach, but Harbaugh is more inspired, more hungry, more dedicated than ever, all because of those 5 short but significant yards.”

The rest of today’s Morning Tailgate focuses on the team’s evolving special teams unit and more.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com also passed along Harbaugh’s feelings on the Super Bowl and how it’s affected him.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle analyzed the 49ers special teams units.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee shared his observations from Stanford’s pro day with an emphasis on the school’s talented tight ends.

Daniel Brown of the Bay Area News Group spoke to Aldon Smith as he visited the local Boys and Girls Club.

Mike Sando of ESPN.com offered an updated look at the free agents in the NFC West.

Branch and Maiocco looked at the team’s options at punt returner now that Ted Ginn Jr. has signed with the Carolina Panthers.

TV49’s CLIP OF THE DAY

Must be March.

Tags: ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 55 Comments »

55 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Harbaugh Stays Driven”

1. By tanglung on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

THE SAN FRANCISCO FORTY NINERS

2. By 11yearswithalex on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Ok guys keep up the workouts and rest up ….this season we need to take it and show the league we are the 49ers and we demand championships …..

3. By mfkram64 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

anyone home

4. By mfkram64 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

u said it right tanglung…he did it in 10 games something alex couldn’t do for 8 years….u can only mange the game so much…talk about being able to adjust to a qb’s play it was easy for defenses to adjust to smith….blahblahblah u r not a fan…u get off on bashing a team u say u r a fan of bullshi$!

5. By johninchina on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

How are the rehabs going for Aldon & Justin and Kyle and Kendall and Mario ? We will need each and every one of these guys to be healthy . . . can we get an update ? Niners or bust !

6. By bow53 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

u can tell who’s doing the thumbs down here, mr. stat. man…………….can’t wait for the draft to start…..i’m sticking to my guns here 1st. pick corner then DE 2nd pick in that order…..

7. By 49erdefense2012 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

man it seems like the days are ddddrrrrrraaaaaggggiiinngggg by can the draft get here already please,,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST

8. By temper11 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Smith is gone. Can’t we all just get along? The QB controversy is over, unless there are those out there that think Tolzien should be the starter. I propose that we all (myself included) wrap up all the insults and bad blood with the hatchet and bury it – then talk about football and the niners.

9. By temper11 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

My last post was really in regard to yesterdays Tailgate. Not sure anyone was reading that thread anymore so I posted here.

10. By tanglung on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

We all know who’s giving the thumbs down even though he claims he pays no attention to that……

11. By temper11 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

So who gave my “olive branch” a thumbs down?

12. By dave g. on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Recently signed former Rams safety Craig Dahl said of Kaepernick on 95.7 The Game that the Rams immediately regretted injuring Alex when they played. He said “It was tough from a secondary standpoint, we weren’t able to get pressure on him like we were Alex … It was kind of like, ‘Man, I wish we could have kept Alex in the game.”

13. By phatalerror on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

“So who gave my “olive branch” a thumbs down?”

The same people that believe Colin Kaepernick is a better quarterback than Alex Smith without being able to make a legitimate defense for Kaepernick as an NFL quarterback. You tried to play the part of the reasonable person this past season, and that is your reward from the trolls.

The hatchet cannot be buried. Alex Smith will be bent on destroying the 49ers when they next meet. Colin Kaepernick has a year and a half to learn to read progressions before then. In the meantime, out with the vindicated Alexcusists and in with the Kaepologists.

I’ve learned enough about this site to recognize that I could thumbs down my own post and it wouldn’t change that both trolls and non-trolls alike will read it.

Now I will thumbs down my own post because I really don’t care what anyone thinks about what I think. It’s enough for them to know what I think, and that I think they are still wrong in the case of those who still are.

14. By bow53 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

here we come… the day is young.. u put the fuel in the fire, iknow ur just voiecing ur opinion here , expect some bashing here later, i already know what can of person u are,kinda like a person who hate progress in life , and can’t accept the true on what unfolding in front of there eyes, and a person who hates changes even thought its for the best.. can’t move on , stock in life, so mr. stat. good luck to u and ur posting here.. i said my peace…so be it…(phatablahblah) now i’m convince ur not, i repeat ur not a niner fan…….

15. By temper11 on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Ok… good. Everyone got it out of your systems. Ok… now we are burying the hatchet and moving on. Yes?

16. By tanglung on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

temper11. When your good buddy continues to put down THE 49ERS organization and player, We should just take it….. I don’t think so…. As long as he continues to attack….. I will attack ….. He acts like he’s the only one who was upset at the fact that Alex lost his job, but it is what it is and we all went with the punches. What’s done is done. He really needs to back off and support THE TEAM. That’s if he is a 49ERS fan like he claims he is. ” except when they play the cheifs ” His words not mine…..Or go support another team…. I have NEVER heard a 49ERS fan attack the 49ERS like he has……

17. By OzJohn on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

Well, I’d just like to throw my 2 cants in and say that the whiners and the fair weather fans can GO PLAY ON THE FREE WAY!!!
    You’re either a 49ers fan or you’re not. Yes, there are decisions made by coaches and management that we may not like, but at the end of the day, they would have forgotten what most of us know about that level of the game.
    So, think about this: You never move forward by lamenting on the past.
    Let’s get behind our team and make sure we go that one step further next season. GO NINERS!!!!!

18. By ace on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

too, bad you cant say h@sellback on this site cuz we might need a beetr back up qb then tolzein, we could get one cheap like maybee a 6th round opps no a 5th round pick josh johnson ?

19. By SHIP on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

The whole thumbs up and down facination is as unimportant and in the “who gives an F” discussion alongside Alex Smith discussion. The guy is not even on our team! Unless you a KC fan-Who cares-its meaningless. I personally don’t need a biased thumb to tell me what I know.

20. By 11yearswithalex on Mar 22, 2013 | Reply

anyone on here is a 49er fan …no matter who or what they say if your on here you are a 9er fan …plain and simple if you dont want to be…. then leave the site… like it or not …closet …or what ever you are a niner fan if you are on this site …..we talk niners we like niners …we want the niners to win …deep down ….period…as my opinion of course …thumbs up or down no matter …….GO NINERS !!!!!

21. By temper11 on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Dear Lord. I actually agreed with something 11years said. I’m either dying, or there is hope for this blog after all. Well said 11.

22. By temper11 on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

Agreed Ace. I’m sure they’ve got a plan for QB2, will be interesting to see what they do there.

23. By mfkram64 on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

as far as backup qb I see them drafting a guy late and than coach will bring in a couple of undrafted guys…..maybe a veteran fa to tryout…they need to address d-line and db’s in draft…..

24. By tanglung on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST

25. By mfkram64 on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

u know what I fine funny not haha funny but funny….pretty much everyone on this post brings something…..blahblahblah brings nothing…just alex smith and bashing of kaepernick….look at all his post nothing but that period….no draft ideas.. fa ideas nothing…no thoughts on how to better the team on def, special teams nothing….just alex smith will be out to crush the niners….well he should but I think the niners d will be ready…..and u know what who cares right now…the niners r focused on the up an coming season……

26. By mfkram64 on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

to me it’s one thing to be critical of a player or coach what have u but to bash a player who has done nothing but put your team in a position to win is stupid…I want to put it to rest….blahblahblah is an after thought to me….i’m done….time to focous on OUR NINERS! old saying lead,follow or get out of the way….if u don’t want to lead or follow than just get out of the way and leave…..

27. By rjdniner on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

mfkram64 as far as the d line is concerned that’s why they brought in doresy from the chiefs, got a feeling that there going to use some of those draft picks to get into the top 10 in the draft so they can get a good db that will start , As far as the comments that I see on this blog site ,same old STUFF , LADYBUG you doing ok ?.

28. By tanglung on Mar 23, 2013 | Reply

temper11 Your good buddy still talking SH!T on the last Morning tailgate: Boldin meets media..Just look at the dates of his post .He is such an @$$…..He will be back talking SH!T cuz he can’t help himself …. Once a D!CK always a D!CK…..

29. By mfkram64 on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

if they move up to top 10 I hope they draft Richardson or Williams d-line needs to be addressed….they will be the future…

30. By mfkram64 on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

if they trade up they will use some picks up so hope the guy is worth it….i’d like to see them move into raiders spot third over all

31. By mfkram64 on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

draft sharrif a monster d=line guy……I still think they will land nnamdi and possible woodson just playing waiting game don’t want to over pay….

32. By mfkram64 on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

tanglung I totally agree with your mar.22 post….how can a true fan just attack and put his team down again again…..

33. By tanglung on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

49ERS

34. By rjdniner on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

64 we all have witnessed what happens when you over pay a player ,that comes from another system. As far as the comment that Jim made concerning COLIN , Another coach made the same comment to his players years ago , he said son don,t get so big that you can,t play football at that position the coach who said that was Bear Bryant ,me I would like to see nnamdi younger player for the future .

35. By SHIP on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

The Seachickens fans got all excited by the offseason signings. Come to find out DE Michael Bennett took THEM for a ride instead of the Buccaneers. He is damaged goods! And its a $5 million 2013 cap hit to go with the Matt Flynn lottery (who 11 years said we should have gotten) of $7.25 million in 2013! They such amateurs! Haaaaaaa!

36. By rjdniner on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

SHIP your right he did get all worked up about Flynn over Alex now Alex has a starting job and we got a better deal with Boldin besides they still don,t know whats causing harvin to have migraine headachs hey seahawks good luck with that…

37. By ace on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

i agree 3 picks for basket case is 2 much and bennet isnt wotrth that and then the flynn fiasco seahawks are total amauters when it comes to building that team

38. By dave g. on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

Seachickens run their team like armchair QB’s. You know the types like 11 years who think they know football and all the people to sign based on names: You know “lets sign Peyton, lets sign Matt Flynn, lets sign big names or people based on a few good games no matter how much $$$ and lets not factor in everyting else”. Lets get everyone excited like the Eagles did….but after further review…ooops.

39. By dave g. on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

And YES Peyton’s arm gave out on him down the stretch and he choked in the playoffs AGAIN!

40. By tanglung on Mar 24, 2013 | Reply

GO 49ERS

41. By mfkram64 on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

hellol

42. By mfkram64 on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

i hear everyone on over paying big names but if they can land woodson and or nnamdi for right price i think it would be worth it..they need help in secondary

43. By 49erdefense2012 on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

my buddys SHIP and dave g. once again bringin’ the logic, good to see you guys coming back around,we got the upcoming draft to discuss and the seakawks to blast,,,I wanted to share an interview I heard with harbaugh, the coach was asked about the needs they would address with the 31st and 34th pick in the upcoming draft. harbaugh’s reply was “we have alot of players targeted with those 1st two picks, DT/DE,,CB/DB,,,TE,,,T/G/C,,,,,WR,,,RB,,,yes I said rb,,we arent going to use each and every draft pick to fill a need at that particular draft spot, with every pick,we will take the player that we feel is the best available player at that selection .”now that sounds like our coach and gm,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,IN BAALKE WE BELIEVE

44. By tanglung on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

I trust Harbaugh And Baalke will make the RIGHT/BEST picks to better a already talented team. I still have 49ERS FEVER.

45. By Hermie on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

“When the 49ers have to face Alex Smith again, they have whatever he does to them coming.” Yes, blahblahblah…I actually agree with you because here is what I see coming if and when the 9ers have to face Alex.

Alex will be sacked 4 times with 1 interception…He will have a total of 168yds pa s s ing and 10yds rushing. I can hardly wait until we play the Chiefs…unless of course Alex does not win the starting job!!

46. By Hermie on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

“The hatchet cannot be buried. Alex Smith will be bent on destroying the 49ers when they next meet.”

Like I said above I can not wait until the 9ers can face an Alex Smith led Offense. I might have been a little low in the sack category above…but I stick by my prediction.

Oh!! The Kaep led 9ers will win that game 35 to 12!!

47. By Hermie on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

“Anyone who knows football fundamentals understood that Kaepernick’s weakness is having to throw from the pocket.” OK blahblahblah…if nothing else this statement proves you do not know what you are talking about!! I think he threw for 233yds. against Atlanta…Oh yeah, that was from the pocket you dumb F*

48. By Hermie on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Gotta have a little fun here!!

Alex’s lifetime stats: 59.3 percent completion percentage
    6.56 YPA; 81 TDs in 80 games; 63 INTs; 36 fumbles…

Matt’s : Equivalent completion percentage, a HIGHER YPA, slightly more TDs per game, fewer INTs and fumbles per game. A very, very strong argument can be made that Cas sel’s career averages are BETTER than Alex Smith’s…this INCLUDES those last two years for Smith. That’s how pathetic he was his first 5 years in the league. It took two years of solid stats to drag his numbers up “high enough” (running pretty fast and loose with the word “high” at this point) to compete with Matt Cas sels numbers!

49. By tanglung on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

phatablahblah will be back talking SH!T as usual. He needs attention. So let’s give it to him. LMFAO… lololololololol

50. By Hermie on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

There you go blahblahblah…something to chew on!!! LOL

51. By Hermie on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

Blog won’t let you write Cas sel!!! LOL

52. By tanglung on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

He can chew on something he always talks…. LOL

53. By dave g. on Mar 25, 2013 | Reply

49erdefense2012: Its good to be talking draft and moving forward. Harbaugh & Baalke know exactly what they are doing. Its not about winning sizzle points with overpaying big names too eagerly! Its about finding true talent that “Joe Blow” does not have the knowledge to know a real gem in the draft like Kaepernick back then. Looking at it now: Kaepernick ALL day over any other QB! Youth and Upside is through the ROOF! Back then you armchair QB’s would have been no Matt Flynn, no Peyton, etc, etc.

54. By ECKMAN on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

I want them to go for the honey badger in the draft… that kid will be all nuts and awesome!! people say cause hes a “criminal” and “uncontrollable” hes not worth it? I think hes young, I think hes driven and competitive… He wants to be the best he can and to be on the best team, he wants to win! lets draft em:)

55. By rjdniner on Mar 26, 2013 | Reply

eckman just by reading your comment am so thankful that you won,t be in the room during the draft …..