Morning Tailgate: Jan. 31

Posted by Taylor Price on January 31, 2013 – 8:54 AM

Justin Smith’s hard-working ways come into greater focus thanks to a remarkable story from ESPN.com’ Elizabeth Merrill. San Francisco’s four-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle doesn’t seek out attention, but this story certainly explains the roots of Smith’s work ethic.

Smith owns the Railwood Golf Club in Holts Summit, Mo., a course that costs $25 to play 18 holes with a cart.

“Just Smith wanted it this way,” Merrill wrote. “He didn’t want to gouge the working man who couldn’t take a Monday off to hit golf balls. Smith would prefer, though, that you didn’t know he’s the owner of this golf course nestled in the rolling hills of Central Missouri.

“His name is not on the voicemail, or the website, and that seems typical. Smith is 6-foot-4 and 285 pounds, and one of the most important players on the San Francisco 49ers’ vaunted defense, but he prefers to remain in the background. When his teammates are getting sacks, it means Smith is doing his job. Smith has a goal. When he’s finished with football, he’d like to be able to go to the grocery store without anyone recognizing him.”

Check out more of the top Super Bowl XLVII headlines after the jump.

Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News shared the initial practice reports for the 49ers with both starting outside linebackers limited in action.

Inman also offered the best quotes from Wednesday’s availability.

Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News can’t get enough of the Harbaugh family.

Steve Corkan of the San Jose Mercury News shared Ed Reed’s comments on defending the 49ers zone-read plays.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee shared how Vic Fangio’s family supports the 49ers from Baltimore.

Mike Sando of ESPN.com checked in with Aldon Smith, who looks to end a recent sack-less stretch of play.

Matt Maiocco and Mindi Bach of CSNBayArea.com discussed how the 49ers are handling Super Bowl hype.

Maiocco also examined what led to the 49ers choosing Colin Kaepernick as the team’s starting quarterback

Maiocco also continued his matchup series by discussing Patrick Willis facing Ravens fullback Vonta Leach.

Chris Brown of Grantland.com broke down Joe Flacco’s arm-strength and how it leads to success for Baltimore’s offense.

TV49’S CLIP OF THE DAY

Sounds good.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 33 Comments »

33 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Jan. 31”

1. By tanglung on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

49ers #1

2. By Hermie on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

There is no question in my mind whether these guys are ready and focused. These guys are just as hungry as the Ravens and I do believe they are peaking at the right time. The defense once again go the rest they needed, so all have fresh legs again, Justin is 2 weeks healthier…Who’s got it better than us?????

3. By bow53 on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

“NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!

4. By 11yearswithalex on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

duuuude even closer to superbowl woooot …GOOOO NINERS ……….

5. By DYENNY on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

I CANT WAIT TO SEE OUR GAME PLAN AND IF IT WORKS .YOU GUYS KNOW YOU CAN USUSALLY TELL WHERE YOU STAND AFTER MID WAY THROUGH FIRST. I THINK WE CAN REALLY RUN KAP ON THESE GUYS.

6. By DYENNY on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

THIS HAS BEEN THE LONGEST WAIT FOR THE SUPERBOWL IV EVER BEEN THROUGH LOL . GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 49ERS

7. By temper11 on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

DYENNY, I know what you mean… Last week I just tried to completely put it out of my mind becuase when your team is in the bowl, 2 weeks feels like 2 years. When Monday morning finally rolled around though, I’ve been biting at the bit. I’m ready for kick-off!

8. By bow53 on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

TELL ME ABOUT IT BRO’S….this wait is like forever……….

9. By DYENNY on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

IM GLAD TOO SEE IM NOT THE ONLY ONE . MY WIFE THINKS IM CRAZY. I TRIED TO EXPLAIN IM A HUGE FOOTBALL FAN AND SUPERBOWL IS ALWAYS THE MOST WATCHED EVENT ON TV IN THE WHOLE WORLD . BUT WHEN ITS THE TEAM YOU PULL FOR WOW ITS A DIFFERENT EVENT ALL I CAN SAY IS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO49ERS LETS GO NINERS WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO LETS GO 49ERS IM LOSING IT BRING ON SUNDAY PLEASE GOD

10. By tanglung on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

It’s ok to lose it. 18Years is a good enough reason to. And when THE 49ERS WIN this Sunday, All the TRUE FAN’S are really going to lose it. Actually I lost it when THE 49ERS WON against the falcons. GO 49ERS GO

11. By mando on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

i think greg romans been saving his best for last meaning our offense is going to explode!! we’ll most likely see things us as fans don’t expect he’s sneaky and by far the smartest coordinator out there right now! LETS GO NINERS!! STAY ON YOUR GRIND!!

12. By Buzz Clifford?arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com

The Niners should take Greg Jennings from the Packers and his bookend and Donald driver for a one year contract. Take Donald out of retirement. Donald has not lost too many steps.

13. By Buzz Clifford?arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com as my grandson would put it. Just 2 more sleeps PaPa.

14. By Buzz Clifford?arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com

Our biggest vulnerability bar none Terrell Brown, Cris Culliver and carlos Rogers. Joe Flacco is the best long ball quarterback in the history of the game. He is an angry young man with a lot to prove. He has no emotions either so he is really dangerous. He will go up over the top to Anquan Boldin and Tory Smith 2 of the best receivers o ever play the game.

Next year we are going to pick up Larry Fitzgerald and Greg Jennings and the other bookend of hepaclkers name escapes me.

15. By temper11 on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Ha ha Buzz… I say that to my littles all the time. Usually it’s for Christmas or for Birthdays though. This feels like I’m waiting for Santa Clause though. Hope he brings me a nice big “W”!

16. By Buzz Clifford?arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com We need better receivers now that we have the 94 mph Quarterback at the helm. We need some young Randy Mosses.

Dixon the other power back shoulld be spotting the aging Gore all day long.

Like a young pro tennis player Anthony Dixon does no realize the magnitude of the moment. Youth is supposed to be that way right Colin/!

Watch out for Bernard Pollock

17. By DYENNY on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Been watching the coaches show say how the 49ers wont be able to cover the receivers or rice receiving out of backfield. I DONT THINK THE RAVENS HAVE SEEN A STRONG DEFENSE AS FAST AS THE 49ERS ALL YEAR.

18. By DYENNY on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

if we score first . I sure like JAMES SPEED GORES POWER AND KAPS ARM AND RUNNING THREAT. I COULD GO ON ALL NIGHT BUT. ADD MOSS /CRABTREE/VERNON/ DELANIE WALKER/ EVEN MILLER/AND ON AND ON LOL.

19. By DYENNY on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

I HOPE OUR DEFENSE ARE READING SOME OF THIS THE 49ERS CANT STOP THE RAVENS BULL$HIT. LETS GO 49ERS . LEEEETTTTTTTS GOI CANT WAIT WE NEED TO GO KICK THEM SO HARD THEY GET ON THE BUS AT HALFTIME AND BEG THE COACH TO TAKE THEM BACK TO BALTIMORE

20. By DYENNY on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

( MANDO ) I AGREE WITH YOU THAT ROMAN AND HARBOUGH HAVE BEEN SAVING SOMETHING FOR SUPERBOWL. THIS AINT THE SAME 49ER TEAM THEY BEAT 16 TO 6 LAST YEAR. MANDO I THINK THERE IS A REASON WE DIDINT GET ALOT OF SACKS THE LAST 5 GAMES . WE DIDNT SHOW OUR HAND

21. By DYENNY on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

TEMPER 11 THATS FUNNY I HOPE E COMES THROUGH FOR ALL 49ER FANS .LOL THAT WAS GOOD

22. By DYENNY on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

BUZZ THATS A YOUNG 49ER FAN GOOD JOB . MY PROBLEM IS MY 24 HOUR DAYS SEEM LIKE 48 HOUR DAYS. I WATCH STAT SHOWS WHENEVER TV IS ON ./ I MEAN THE ONES IVE ALREADY SEEN . I DO THINK IM LOSING IT.

23. By phatalerror on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

I’ve been filing my taxes during this past week, and that has sped time along up until now. In 72 hours, we will all see how the 2012 49ers’ season turned out.

No matter what happens, it will be awesome.

24. By tanglung on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

…..SUPERBOWL NINERS SUPERBOWL……

25. By John Corey on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Well, I can’t wait for Monday niight. Coz that’s when I get home from work. THEN I’ll be able to watch the game. Living in Australia, Sunday in US is Monday in OZ. God help anyone who mentions a word to me on Monday at work if they know the result. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 9ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. By Buzz Clifford?arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com

That’s pretty much it. Niners 56 and Ravens 42 first quarter 0 to 0

Joe Flacco will try to connect with Anquan Bolden and Torey Smith all day long. These guys are such good receivers the ball just nees to be in the general vacinity. Heck they do tip drills, they do juggle drills like Larry Fitzgerald. Anquan’s old bookend.
    Ravens have two great running backs but lke Gore Ray Rice is their meat and potatoes running back.
    All the players will be hyperventilating in the first quarter. Hence the first quarter score 0 to 0.
    With the mergeance and acuazition and utilization of Kaeperneck we just have to many weapons and options. Like the pro tennis player with an arseal of shots,
    Suggs with a 90% Achilles heel and other stuff won’t be able to come after Kapernect for 60 minutes. He was able to come after Alex because Alex was very predictable. Again Niners 56 and Ravens 42

27. By Hermie on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

I guess you are betting the “over”!!! LOL

28. By mfkram64 on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

it’s to funny..i was reading the post on jan.30th…blahblahblah…u r still complaing about the second rams game…”he made to many mistakes” ya he got a safty and had a bad pitch play..but in the end he didn’t drop a sure td..it was walker right? and he didn’t miss a fg..it was akers right? take some of your own advise and watch the game….when they loss it’s his fault when they win it’s the other teams fault…u keep bashing this kid….u make no sense…..and buzz sorry buddy but flacco isn’t the best long ball qb ever and smith and bolden arn’t the 2 best wr’s ever…they r all good but not great…the niners need to get to flacco and they need to jam smith at the line..throw off his timing..they need to go 4-5 wide on offense let lewis cover someone he is slow their linebackers don’t cover good…niners need to score 31 to 38 pts…the way the d has been playing and i agree with bow53 the corners r soft and let up to many td’s last two games so ravens will score 24 to 28 pts..i like 34-27 niners………….

29. By tanglung on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

I really don’t see the scores that HIGH. The Ravens aren’t going to score that many points. THE 49ERS DEFENSE will show up and THE 49ERS offense will be flying all over the place. Go 49ERS GO……

30. By ogre on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Double blessed! Gold panning this morning and a Super Bowl victory Sunday.
    God Lord it don’t get better than this. Who’s Got It Better Than Us? Nobody!!!!!!
    GO NINERS-#6

31. By temper11 on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Got my gear on early… may not take it off until we have secured number 6! Party is planned. Lots of unhealthy food in the freezer, all that remains is the opening kick-off. Is it Sunday yet?

32. By DYENNY on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

IT SEEMS LIKE THE MORE STA SHOWS I WATCH THE MORE PLAYERS AND PLAYS RUN THROUGH MY HEAD.RANDY MOSS COULD HAVE A GOOD DAY . WALKER AND DAVIS COULS TOO . SEE LOL TO MANY WEAPONS AND TO MANY OUT COMES .

33. By DYENNY on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply