Morning Tailgate: Jan. 22

Posted by Taylor Price on January 22, 2013 – 11:15 AM

The Harbaugh brother talk has officially started, but it hasn’t reached overdrive just yet. There’s still plenty of other storylines to dissect as the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Ravens embark on Super Bowl XLVII preparations.

For starters, Colin Kaepernick’s role on the 49ers offense is one to discuss. Furthermore, Kaepernick’s strong relationships with his teammates is quite remarkable after considering he will make start No. 10 in the biggest singular game in professional sports.

The respect Kaepernick’s teammates have already shown the second-year player was recently noted by ESPN.com’s Ashley Fox.

“There’s the conflict Kaepernick creates for opponents, and then there is the love that his teammates have for him,” Fox wrote. “It was obvious when (Frank) Gore interrupted Kaepernick’s postgame news conference, answering a question for him.

‘He can do whatever.’ Gore said. ‘He’s a hard worker. He’s a different quarterback, how he takes pride and leads us. He’s started [nine] games. Hey, he’s football. If it weren’t for him, it would’ve been a tough game for us.’

Gore looked at Kaepernick and added, ‘You deserve it.’”

It’s not hard to see why the second-year player has earned such praise from veterans.

After leading the 49ers to a 28-24 comeback victory over the Atlanta Falcons in the NFC title game, Kaepernick finished his second come-from-behind postseason win completing 76.2 percent of his passes, good for the third-best single-game outing in 49ers postseason history.

Kaepernick has already showcased maturity and poise and enters Super Bowl XLVII with seven regular starts, tied for the third fewest for a starting quarterback to reach the Super Bowl in NFL history.

John Clayton of ESPN.com discussed key storylines to Super Bowl XLVII and dished out three game balls for championship weekend, including one to 49ers punter Andy Lee.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com reviewed San Francisco’s defensive efforts against Atlanta, plus shared Jim Harbaugh’s comments on facing his brother and David Akers remaining as the 49ers kicker.

Michael Rosenberg of SI.com took an extensive look at the Harbaugh family dynamic.

Chris Burke of SI.com offered an early Super Bowl preview.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee explained why Chad Hall saw action in Sunday’s game over A.J. Jenkins.

Ron Kroichick of the San Francisco Chronicle also examined Harbaugh’s comments on facing his older sibling in the Super Bowl.

49ers.com shared NFC Championship Game notes, plus detailed Harbaugh’s initial thoughts on facing the Ravens in New Orleans.

TV49’S CLIP OF THE DAY

Who’s going to the Superdome on Feb. 3?

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 121 Comments »

121 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Jan. 22”

1. By RED&GOLD on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

This is going to be an all out war. Baltimore’s defense is staggering, while our defense is clear cut and precise. I think Kap is really going to mess up their game plans. All and all I see this to be avery low scoring game.

GO SAN FRANCISCO!

2. By tanglung on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

49ERS FEVER

3. By bow53 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

tip my hat to my main man n. bowman, who disrupted that 4th down and 4 by the falcon, that sealed the deal..and the whole team that fought back from behind, never say never,thats why were off to new orlean…’NINERS BABY!!!!!!!!

4. By SB on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

In Kaep’s 1st playoff game (against the Packers), he broke all time QB rushing record with 181 yards.

In Kaep’s 2nd playoff game (against the Falcons), he broke the ‘come from behind record (17 points)’.

What will Kaep do in his 3RD playoff game (i.e. SUPER BOWL)???

Just sit back and enjoy 49ERS victory in the SUPER BOWL.

GO 49ERS!!!

5. By mfkram64 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

hey 9erdog the locker room looks divided lol!! as far as blahblahblah 49erdef he won’t post till he reads and gets his facts and stats straight…then he will pick a quote from one of us and turn it into some big words of his and make it sound so intelligent but it the end it is all blahblahblah….

6. By johninchina on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Congratulations 2nd half Defense: Ahmad Brooks, Navorro Bowman, Patrick Willis and secondary . . . D line held their own; but where was Aldon “the sack king” Smith? I see him play 50-50 . . . not an every down guy; sorry, let’s get Parys Harrelson back and let Aldon play on third and longs . . . this game will be a battle in the trenches, for sure, and if we don’t get pressure on Flake-o, we will find ourselves behind like vs Atlanta and that’s not a good thing, ever ! Two most physical, solid defenses made it to the Superbowl . . . Offense speaks for itself, so many standout players, just get ahead and stay ahead, but you have instilled confidence in this 49er fan that we can come from behind against anyone; Niners by 7, because we can’t make a field goal ! Don’t even try a field goal, go for it on 4th down, i don’t care how many yards we need; don’t let Akers even attempt a field goal !!! Time to scout the best place kicker in the draft . . . onward Niners, #6 Superbowl Victory coming soon !!!

7. By mfkram64 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

i want to but my qb thing on the back burner and get to something way more important and that is geting ready for the biggest game in the world,,,the super bowl…these guys have to stay focused and get their personal business in order and focus on game film and get ready…this isn’t just another game…want to be ready and not like a team that looks like a deer in the headlights…there r alot of distractions and the team that stays focused and doesn’t get caught up in all the hype…will win….so need guys like moss and some vets to keep everyone in tact..keep eye on the prize!!!

8. By Mutney on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

We can use a special teamer with a big leg for kick offs. We need an automatic FG kicker that has 50-55 yard range. Ray Wershing didn’t have a big leg but he was “Mr. Automatic”. We can find one of those in the draft and not a high round choice either. David Akers is a good man. Thank him for his services and move on.

9. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

YEAH 9ERDOG THE LIAR AND PHATALBLAHBLAHBLAH,,,WHAT A PAIR,,,MFKRAM I COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER,,ONE IS A PROVEN LIAR AND THE OTHER IS PROVEN SELF PROCLAIMED KNOW- IT ALL,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,

10. By tanglung on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

LET’S GO 49ERS LET’S GO.

11. By Jeff on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Where are the Colin Kaepernick haters now?

12. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

im looking forward to the upcoming road trip with my good buddy mario,another die hard 49er faithful, for 10 years mario and his wife have been driving from bakersfield for EVERY HOME GAME at candlestick. I am leaving from my house here on vallejo street in hayward right behind sunset high a week from tomorrow to pick him up in porterville. we will then begin our cross-country trip across america to see our 49ers play in their 1st super bowl in 18 years…if I knew how to post pictures to the site I would share the experiance with all of you fellow faithful. 49ER FANS ACROSS AMERICA,,,LIFT YOUR HEADS AND YOUR HEARTS,,,THE DARKNESS HAS LIFTED, COACH HARBAUGH HAS BROUGHT US BACK INTO THE LIGHT…WE ARE TEAM DESTINED FOR GREAT THINGS,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,,

13. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@ JEFF,,L O L,,,THEY ARE STILL POSTING ON MORNING TAILGATE BLOG JAN 18,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,

14. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@ tanglung,,man,,why would anyone give you 2 thumbs down for saying 49ERS FEVER,,? you keep posting that and dont let it bother you,,whoever it is,,and I got a darn good idea who it is,,just dislikes some of the things you have posted, trust me, I get it all the time,,the truth hurts us all,,just some of us dont know how to,,” DEAL WITH IT “,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

15. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

49ersdefence, I’m responding to your post from the last tailgate. You’re right, I did want Alex to complete the season following his injury. I’m not playing both sides of any coin. I plainly say something that grows more and more unpopular every time Kap takes a snap, I’d prefer Alex regain his position post injury. For some reason, that statement turns me into some kind of Natzi in yours and others eyes for which I will never understand. People who simply can’t stomach differing opinions are to be pitied. Colin has clearly played better than I could have hoped and seems perfectly capable in all aspects. Yet, if it were in me, I’d go back and let Alex finish up the season. Why does that infuriate you so much? And yes, I think we owe Alex… we wrecked his career by putting him in an absolutely no-win situation. You can all point to the money he’s made etc. as evidence that we don’t owe him anything, and that’s fine. That’s an opinion – shallow that it may be, but for many of you, money and titles are all that matter. You had to endure 5 seasons of losing football. You poor thing. He has to live the rest of his life shouldering the entire blame for a team in utter ruin’s. The team no less that represents the city where he and his extended family make their home. He has to listen to all of the comments, “we’d never made the Superbowl if Alex was still the QB” for the rest of his life. Even though he’d just “managed” the team to 19 wins in their last 24 games. But whatever… I’m even getting tired of this conversation, because you, and others, seem to be completely incapable of thinking on any terms other than “In Harbaugh we Trust”.

On another topic, couldn’t be more excited for the guys to finally go to the superbowl. Justin Smith, Willis, Bowman, Gore, Davis, Walker, Goldson, Brooks, etc. etc. etc…. all these guys have put in so much time and effort, so glad for them that they get to finally go to the show.

16. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

@ Jeff and @ 49ersdefence… Can you please tell me who you are referring to as the “Colin Kaepernick haters”? If you consider me in that list then I once again suggest to you that you can simultaneously disagree with the decision to bench Smith and still support Kap. The two are not mutually exclusive. Even Phatal, who has provided much statistical data to support why he thinks Alex is the better choice, has never claimed to be a Kaepernick hater. The conversation gets so distorted with comments like these.

17. By tanglung on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

49erdefense2012. It doesn’t bother me when I get the thumbs down. I know true 49ERS fans know where i’m coming from.Everything I post is really for the true 49ERS fans who truely know what we are witnessing. Go 49ERS Go. I have a darn good idea who’s giving me the thumbs down but all I have to say about that is………………49ERS FEVER…………….;-)

18. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

This from 49ersdefence on Jan 18th blog: “NO TEMPER11 EITHER,,,HMMM? NOT SURPRISING,,THOSE TWO CLOWNS WANTED ALEX TO BE THE QB SOOOO BAD THAT THEY WENT AS FAR AS TO SAY THEY WANTED THE 49ERS TO LOSE BECAUSE THEY FELT BAD FOR ALEX SMITH”. I never said anything even close to this. You accuse 9erdog of lieing, and then you post this? You need to get a life 49ersdefense. You are trying way too hard to blog bully on this site. You and Dave G. are complimenting each other on your profanity strewn posts as if you have anything remotely of value to add to any discussion regarding the 9ers. All you do is self-promote, and ridicule anyone who doesn’t tow your line of beating down others. Dave G. said in a previous post that Phatal “Force feeds” his ideas… as if Dave himself, or others here, promote the healthy sharing of what should be a common interest – The 49ers. It surprises me every time I log on to see that the webmaster hasn’t shut these blogs down because they are deteriorating as to be counter productive. it’s supposed to be a place for 49er fans to chat about their team, instead its a place of nothing but hostility and negativity. That is probably the best indication as to whether or not anyone from the San Francisco 49ers organization pays any attention to these blogs. I think it’s clear they do not, or there wouldn’t be one.

19. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

how does it feel? to be the only one who agress with the things you say? one is the loneliest number? and its a natural human response to try and deflect quotes and comments made by oneself that is disagreed with by all or thought to be ridiculius or stupid. when one is alone in believing what they have said or posted, one will go well out of ones way to prove themselves correct, and in the doing so can make themselves look even worse. if the shoe fits, wear it.,,but almost EVERYBODY agrees that C-KAP has done things during the course of games past which enabled us to win that alex probablly could not have done. but anybody still trying to hammer home any type of stat or situation to argue that alex smith should still be the qb is living in their own mind and is oblivious to what is going on around them,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,,

20. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I no longer read what temper11 and phatalblahblahblah post its not worth my time.,they are still riding the alex smith train and seem to live and die with the guy,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST

21. By Hermie on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Me thinks Phatal and Temper are one and the same!! They never said they hated Kaep…just that he did not deserve to start…and initially how the 9ers could not win with him!!

22. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

TEMPER11-I appreciate all Alex has done. But let me ask you this? Why is Alex Smiths needs and feelings more of a priority to anything else? Do you realize what everything else comprises of? Its not just titles (WHICH IS IMPORTANT-QUIT BEING A BABY!) or money. But you stop and think of all the players, coaches & families invested in the team winning and how they are ALL AFFECTED by every decision. Somehow you are going to tell me Alex’s wants and feelings take precedent over the Frank Gores, the Justin Smiths, Vernon Davis, etc? What make SMITH more important than the rest. You tell all those guys putting their hearts and souls in this game that ONE GUYs feelings is more important than the overall team & see what they tell you. GROW UP IDIOT! You either a baby or racist because is abosultely no logic to your statment.

23. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

And… just because I was accused of ducking the blog because the niners won, I’m usually only on here while I’m at work and in front of my screen. Believe it or not, I actually wanted to celebrate the win with niners fans, but this forum is really – sadly – not a place to do that. I’ve got many fellow niners fans, some who liked the qb switch, others who did not, but we are able to disagree on that point and still be friends, still be fans, still root for the same team, not call each other names, not accuse the other of not being a true fan, etc. etc.

24. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

there is something called reading between the lines, one can say alot without coming right out and saying it…thats why one should be careful with their written word……IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,,

25. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

BY THE WAY TEMPER-THE NEGATIVITY IS FROM YOU AND PHATABLAHBLAH.

26. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

right on ,,once again dave g. your laying it down in a way that can be easily understood by those of us who understand the nature of the game and dont let our hearts mislead us,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

27. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

INSTEAD OF BEING HAPPY WE IN THE SB…WHAT IS TEMPER DOING? WHINING ABOUT ALEX FEELINGS…HOW IS THAT POSITIVE?

28. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

and by the way,,,ANYONE who still doesnt agree with the switch, the way it was done, or why it was done,,,DOES NOT KNOW $HIT ABOUT IT.

29. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

WE WOULD BE HAPPY NO MATTER WHO WAS THE QB AS LONG AS WE HERE! DO YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE WITH POSTIVE & NEGATIVE. WHY ARE YOU SO STUPID TEMPER? AND QUIT BEING A BABY AND START ACTING LIKE A MAN. OH MY GOD…ALL YOU DO IS WHINE. WE IN THE SB FOR GODS SAKES!

30. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

TO THE REAL 49ER FANS & YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE: THANK YOU FOR BEING MY BROTHERS HERE ON THESE BLOGS. You have stuck by JH through everything & truly get it! Every decision he has made has brought us to where we are today. How can anyone, I mean anyone have something to complain about at this point? The ONLY reason they do is because it did not happen the WAY that they said it would or because of some bias they feel. Us winning the SB is the #1 goal and now that we are in a position to reach that they are still b!tchin…its becoming more and more obvious why! It comes down to ITS ALL ABOUT THEM!

31. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Oh and one last thing Temper since you follow football so closely: Will you please finally learn how to spell defense?

32. By tanglung on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Go 49ERS Go………IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST……….JIM that is…….LOL…….

33. By tanglung on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

In just about 2 weeks when the 49ERS win another SUPERBOWL. All will be fine again and all the whinners will say I TOLD YOU SO…..RIGHT………My my my…….Right or wrong, It’s no Alex ok. Let it go now. From the mouth of Vernon Davis, KAEPERNICK is the man….GO 49ERS……

34. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

good grief, I’m being called a racist now? To your (Dave G.) direct question, his feelings aren’t more important, but through all those years, it wasn’t the O-line who was getting blamed for the losses, it wasn’t the receivers, or the DB’s or the terrible coaching… It was Alex that was the focus of fan’s discontent. Nonetheless, If he hadn’t been playing well, if he wasn’t producing with the team he has around him now, then I would have been supportive of the switch. But he was, he was performing at a very high level and given all of my previous thoughts on the subject, thought he deserved to finish what he started. Again, I ask you, WHY DOES THAT MAKE YOU SO MAD? Even Vernon Davis was asked in the locker after this last game about the QB switch, and he said that many players disagreed with the switch, I think he used the word “upset”, but they accepted Harbaugh’s decision and did their jobs. Are you going to accuse Vernon of not being a true 49er fan now? They call it a QB controversy for a reason… it’s controversial. It’s becoming less and less controversial with each win since the switch, but there are still plenty, more than probably care to say it on this forum because who needs the insults – who would still not have made the switch even knowing now how the season turned out.

You tell me to grow up? You tell me to use logic? No. I don’t want to use logic when I root for a team… It’s not just about wins and losses for me. I want to win with my guys, not just the guys who give me the best chance to win. That’s why I didn’t want to bring Peyton in here. Where would the fun in that be? Colin is a 49er so that is far better to me than bringing Peyton would have been, but I wanted to win with Alex. I don’t care about logic… or “growing up” as you put it. This is just football, it’s a past-time. I have enough real life problems to be logical and grown up about outside of the 49ers. I watch for the enjoyment of rooting for my team, for my guys. And nothing would have been more fun than watching Alex come all the way back from getting boo’d (unjustly in my opinion, out of his own stadium to win the Super Bowl. But I will still have great fun in watching the rest of these guys, who so clearly also deserve it, hoist that championship trophy in two weeks.

And 49ersdefense, please tell me it’s true that you will stop reading my posts. That would be truly a gift.

35. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Hermie, Phatal and I are not one in the same. Don’t have any idea how to prove that, nor do I see the point.

36. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I am happy we are in the superbowl Dave. I am continuing to talk about Smith because you and others keep bringing him up. If you are going to continue to cut him down, I will continue to defend him. It’s that simple.

37. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Dave G., what in your estimation makes a “Real 49ers Fan”?

38. By phatalerror on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

To anyone who wants to know what I thought about the game, I will tell you:

• It was nice to see Anthony Dixon redeem his 2011 Conference Championship performance with his single carry for 4 yards to get a key first down late in the fourth quarter. Without that, the 49ers would have been forced into a fourth-and-short or a field goal.

• David Akers has disappointed this year, but without him, the 49ers wouldn’t have been to the Conference Championship in 2011. He should get his ring and retire. Perhaps he may manage one more field goal in this last game.

• The offense continues to look like Paper, Rock, Scissors: Runs get stuffed or break for significant gains. The 49ers struggled on 3rd down when throwing, with Kaepernick converting only 1 of 4 for a first down. Fortunately, there were very few third downs, in part due to the 49ers timely rushing gains, and in part due to Kaepernick’s timely completions.

• Once again, Vernon Davis comes through with a big playoff performance.

39. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

all i hear from them sounds like ” stop making fun of me “,,,”im telling the teacher,,”,,,” sister mary elephant,,,dave g. and 49erdefense2012 are making fun of me and alex smith,,,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

40. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Also, Hermie, I never said that the 9ers couldn’t win with Kaep. I’ll let Phatal speak for himself as I’m not on here everyday – more so as the season went on. I did think it very risky going with a second year player when we were already doing so well. It’s not like we were losing when we made the switch. I fully admit to thinking it was an unnecessary risk. Obviously it turned out just fine for the niners.

41. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

F,U,C,K,I,N,G, RIDICULOUS,,,L O L,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

42. By phatalerror on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

The Green Bay game is what you get when a pocket quarterback plays a solid game, but his otherwise physically imposing defense is poorly coached.

43. By phatalerror on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

The Atlanta game is what you get when a pocket quarterback plays one of the best games of his career, but his otherwise well-coached defense is physically overmatched.

44. By phatalerror on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

In either case, Colin Kaepernick played well enough to win.

45. By phatalerror on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

The 49ers play their next game against a team with a pocket quarterback who is playing the best football of his career and who has a top-tier runningback behind him. Their defense didn’t play according to their standard during the regular season, but has done everything necessary to contribute to their three playoff wins. John Harbaugh’s decision to replace his offensive coordinator has turned out to be a good thing. The Ravens will not be a walk-over like so many of the 80’s and 90’s AFC Super Bowl teams.

46. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,NOT SOME STAT THAT PROVES ONE POINT OF VIEW OR DISPROVES ANOTHER,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,BECAUSE WE BELIEVE,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,BECAUSE WE HAVE FAITH,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,,,INSTEAD OF LETTING NUMBERS MAKE UP OUR MIND FOR US,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,BECASUE HE KNOWS BETTER THAN US,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

47. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

AND ALL I STILL HEAR IS,,,”STOP MAKING FUN OF ME”,,,” SEE HOW RIGHT I AM,,,SEE?? SEE??”,,,IT IS REALLY BEYOND PATHETIC NOW

48. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

from 49ersdefense, “all i hear from them sounds like ” stop making fun of me “,,,”im telling the teacher,,”. That’s all you hear because you are a child. There are complex ideas in my posts that simply go right over your head. Have your wife explain them to you.

49. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

And yes… Dave, I was specifically being condescending.

50. By DMT on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

You guys on this blog are hilarious. The 49ers are in the Superbowl for the first time since Clinton was president, and most of the post on here are people bickering back and forth about nonsense. The Superbowl is finally a 49er game again! GO 9ERS!

51. By tony hallerman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

GO 49ERS THIS IS YOUR YEAR U EARNED IT AND U ARE GOING TO WIN THIS, I HAVE CONFIDENCE IN U THANK U STAFF AND TEAM HOPE FULLY U CAN GET #7

52. By tony hallerman on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

SUGGESTION RACK UP THE POINTS AND PUT ALEX IN THERE FOR AWHILE AFTER WHAT HE DID LAST YEAR HE WAS DOING GOOD SO WHY DID HE HAVE TO GET BENCHED, CHANCES ARE HE WILL GET FED UP AND GO TO ANOTHER TEAM WIN THIS 49ERS

53. By temper11 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Agreed DMT… I know that I’m part of what you are talking about, but I still agree with you.

54. By Hermie on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I believe you Temper!!

55. By Hermie on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Temper…I was very nervous too when Harbaugh made the switch, but I never doubted for a minute it was the right change. Did I feel for Alex…Yes, but not at the expense as a team. My thoughts and feelings have been consistent for the last two years when I first saw Kaep in Preseason, and knew the change was inevitable.

I basically stayed quiet and supported the team and Alex because I wanted the team to win sooooo bad!!

56. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

that the kind of response I expected from you temper11 you act like a child and then try to put it on someone else,,,the name temper give it away you have tempertantrum when someone points out your wrong about something

57. By tanglung on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

49erdefense, That was so funny. sister mary elephant…That’s a Cla s sic….Had to watch the (a s s) in Cla s sic & Cla s s………( Cla ss….Cla ss…..Shut uuuup……Thank You……)

58. By Shaka on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

So many of you guys are just jumping onthe Niners bandwagon this year. There are many of us who who really appreciate the organization: owners, coaches, past 49er greats, etc. I remember watching black & white delayed telcasts when I was a kid. My first game in person was at the venerable Kezar Stadium where we had to dodge the beer bottles that rolled under the bleachers!

59. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

FOR GODS SAKE TEMPER-SHOW ME WHERE I EVER CUT DOWN ALEX. Were you even on these sites when I defended Alex last year and all through the years? Where the h@ll are you getting your facts? I have cleary stated since last year I did not want Peyton. Where you getting your facts dumb@ss. You are truly an idiot. KAP is well deserved…you feel sorry for Alex for what he has gone through teh past 8 years? How about Kap having to go through a mom who gave him up as a baby? YOU CAN PAINT IT ANYWAY YOU WANT- YOU JUST SELFISH AND SEE NO OTHER PERSPECTIVE HERE. Once again I like Alex but you know what KAP deserves it by his performance. You are like an emotional girl.

60. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Just because I see the obvious-“KAP GIVES US THE BEST CHANCE” does not mean I have to hate Alex. I did not like the change at first just like Vernon. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT. DO YOUR RESEARCH ON WHAT I SAID SINCE LAST OFFSEASON DUMB@SS! Its like the reverse of the offseason when I argued with people like Eleven Years for saying I was an Alex hugger for not wanting to sign Peyton or Matt Flynn. Its all about who gives us the best chance to win. Alex gave us the best chance UNTIL I saw what KAP can do. How can you not just appreciate that about KAP.

61. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

TEMPER-YOU DIRECTED A COMMENT TO ME-“To your (Dave G.) direct question, his feelings aren’t more important, but through all those years, it wasn’t the O-line who was getting blamed for the losses, it wasn’t the receivers, or the DB’s or the terrible coaching… It was Alex that was the focus of fan’s discontent.” PROVE THAT I SAID ANYTHING REMOTELY CLOSE TO THAT! YOU IGNORANT AND INCREDIBLY FALSE. You cant even be argued with because you say things to me that don’t even pertain to anything remotely close to what I have been saying.

62. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

I questioned you talking about his feelings but the rest is utter BS. I NEVER BLAMED ALEX AND DEFENDED HIM DUMB@SS! GO TO LAST OFFSEASONS BLOGS IDIOT!

63. By Buzz Clifford?arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com The last time we played the Ravens beat us down like unwanted stepchildren!!!!!! Payback time is now. Watch tons of film of Ravens recent games. Watch between the coorinator switch to see vulnerabilities and gaps.

Mainly watch Rice and the other running back. Suggs was a one man destooying machine last time. Ray is a healthy hungry Ray now.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are strong in every facet of the game. Let’s win this one for Gore. LaMichael is looking good. Let’s grab the 2 disgruntled wide outs ffrom the Packers. Colin could really hook up with those 2 free agents.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

64. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

IS IT ME OR IS TEMPER11 A COMPLETE IDIOT. HE MAKES NO SENSE! SERIOUSLY. PHATABLAHBLAH is condescending…I am not even sure why Temper keeps typing cuz he makes no sense.

65. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

TEMPER11 tells 49ersdefense2012, “There are complex ideas in my posts that simply go right over your head.” IS HE FOR REAL? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

66. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

PHATABLAHBLAH says “To anyone who wants to know what I thought about the game, I will tell you:”.

I DONT WANT TO KNOW OR CARE BECAUSE YOU BIAS AND A HATER AND ARE ONLY MOTIVATED BY THE ALMIGHTY: “I TOLD YOU SO”

67. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

ITS ALL ABOUT US WINNING. HERE IS A TIDBIT-

Whether you like it or not, I like our chances better with KAP. I am not slamming Alex BUT KAP is more mobile than just about any QB in the league if the rush gets to him.

USE LOGIC! EMOTIONS IS GOOD FOR RAH RAH BUT LOGIC WINS.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. ~Albert Einstein

68. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Its unbelievable to me that we are in the position we in and there are HATERS out there who call themselves 49er fans who keep complaining because its not the QB they wanted. They are acting like we did Spygate or Bounty gate…like its somehow tainted because its not Alex. I is absolutely rediculous the things they will say to somehow defend this irration preference. Its so distorted and emotionally biased. ITS ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS. THEY ACT LIKE NO ONE ELSES PREFERANCE MATTERS. You ask Frank Gore and every other guy on that team now who they prefer and gives them the best chance. How can a true 49er fan not just appreciate that instead of looking at rediculous things to pick at. You really must be miserable people. Think about how many teams would kill to be in this position. Its ludacris how bias and unappreciative people are. KAP deserves respect for what he has done! And in no way does that mean I am “cutting” down Alex. What is wrong with idiots like Temper & Phatablahblah?

69. By tanglung on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

49ERS FEVER…..

70. By dave g. on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

NINERS!

71. By phatalerror on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

Irrelevance Alert:

“The Ravens handled the 49ers, 16-6, when the teams played during the 2011 season. Much has changed since then, particularly for the 49ers. Alex Smith, sacked nine times in that Ravens game and 75 times in his past 28 games overall, is no longer starting at quarterback. His successor, Colin Kaepernick, has taken five sacks in his past five starts, counting playoffs.”

This author seems to suggest that sacks taken is a measure of a quarterback’s competence. Let’s test that, shall we?

Most Frequently Sacked Quarterbacks (by rate; qualified quarterbacks):

5 Jay Cutler CHI 38
    6 Cam Newton CAR 36
    6 Tony Romo DAL 36
    8 Ryan Tannehill MIA 35
    8 Joe Flacco BAL 35
    8 Sam Bradford STL 35

In the case of both of these lists, four quarterbacks that rated ‘the worst’ in sacks taken made the playoffs. Aaron Rodgers was in the top two of both lists, and Andy Dalton was in the top five of both. Eli Manning was the least sacked quarterback in the league (both by total and by rate), but for every four sacks he took, he threw more than three interceptions. The Giants didn’t play in the playoffs this year. Of the ten least sacked quarterbacks in the league (by rate), Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, and Matt Schaub were the only ones to make the playoffs.

Clearly, you cannot directly correlate sacks taken during a season to games lost. Nevertheless, the fact that a player opted to take a sack rather than throw a pick like so many lesser quarterbacks do will continue to be twisted into evidence of a want of physical and mental ability.

How many pick-sixes and scoop-sixes did Alex Smith give up since week 1 of 2011? How many pick-sixes and scoop-sixes did Colin Kaepernick give up since week 10 of 2012? Sometimes it is better to know when to fall on the ball.

72. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

the phrase ” lost in translation” may be applied now,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

73. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

how many pick sixes did alex smith throw in his first 9 starts?,,,the world may never know??,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,

74. By tanglung on Jan 22, 2013 | Reply

How many times did phatablahblah make me want to throw up in his face. As many letters he uses in his stats that amount to #2……Go 49ERS Go

75. By jerry gilder on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

The bald eagle still looking good!

76. By Hermie on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Talk about going back to some old blogs…Here is a blog I posted back on Aug. 25, 2011!! I might have been a year and a half off on my one prediction…But

“I am excited because HARBAUGH sees “CK” is our future…NOT Alex!!! Read between the lines what he is saying and CK is his guy…I am convince after Harbaugh’s interview that CK will be starting sometime after week 4, UNLESS, Alex shows him something we haven’t seen in the last 6 yrs.!! HARBAUGH is a savy guy and based on HIS insinuations he knows Alex is not the man!!”

“I am not being dillusional..Playoffs this year!!! and BIG step forward.” Is that putting myself out there far enough!!! :-)

No Brag, Just Fact!!!

77. By mfkram64 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

go watch that falcon game and see how composed kap was with the deafing noise in that dome

78. By mfkram64 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

one play that sticks out is when kap throws a dime to crabs in the corner of end zone

79. By mfkram64 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

he couldn’t get his feet down but he had a chance to make play..my point is that was on first down..if alex was playing they would have never called that play maybe on third down and he would have over threw the rec

80. By mfkram64 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

my piont is this is the confidence the coach has in kap..and it makes defenses think..niners will take shots on first down in the red zone…

81. By mfkram64 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

plays like that r what u r missing if u can’t understand what coach see’s in kap…

82. By mfkram64 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

i agree with dave g…i don’t understand this think about kap..he is a great guy..not in trouble..not a loud mouth..he is a outstanding young guy..some people make it out like he took alex feet from under him or something..he is just doing what he is told…for some reason some people r taking this alex thing way to personal almost like u r in love with him or in some way related to him or something..like i said in alot of my post people say they arn’t bashing kap..but u r when u don’t want to support him..he’s done nothing wrong..all he has done is WIN!

83. By mfkram64 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

BLAHBLAHBLAH….the reason or one reason alex got sacked alot is because he couldn’t read the defense..he wouldn’t audiable out…look up your stats on check downs..how many has kap thrown compared to alex aka check down charlie? he didn’t throw one sunday…if u really watch the game alot of his incompletions the ball is right there and is dropped or the defender makes a good play on the ball…WATCH THE GAME! the first drive one to davis was right there guy made a good play…one to crabs same..one to hall another nice play by defender..WATCH THE GAME!

84. By phatalerror on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

From “Patrick Willis Details ATL Comeback”:

“Willis continued to explain how San Francisco’s 21-point comeback victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 4 of the 2011 season proved to the players that no deficit was insurmountable.

‘We came back to win that game and from then we know we’re a team that’s going to fight, a team that’s going to play for 60 minutes,’ Willis said, before pointing out how the experience in Philadelphia translated to Sunday’s win in Atlanta.”

Who was quarterbacking? Alex Smith. Patrick Willis just explained to you how when the complete team shows up, Alex Smith was capable of leading the 49ers to comeback wins. So please, enough of the ‘Alex Smith couldn’t do that’ nonsense, because he already has.

85. By Eddie on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I agree with DMT! I cant believe me are still arguing about Alex Smith knowing that our team is in the SUPERBOWL!

86. By brandon stumpf on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

personally im from turluck and to see a guy from the town i live in going to the super bowl colin capernick has showed true team endurance good skills hes got a rocket for a hand hes the best ting that has ever happened to the 49ers hes a team player def knows how to get the ball past the field

87. By tanglung on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

If Master Mind Coach HARBAUGH had a VISION, Wouldn’t you all agree his VISION has come true… IN KAEPERNICK I TRUST……GO 49ERS GO

88. By bow53 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

CK7 is gunna be a dangerous qb.in the years to come, as i said all alone that i see a combination of steve young and joe montana,and that to me is a complete qb. in my opinion….so lets get that super bowl win… THATS IT CK7 IS THE MAIN MAN NOW…”NINERS BABY!!!!!!!!

89. By dave g. on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

ITS COMICAL HOW PHATABLAHBLAH copies and pastes all these stats and thinks he has made a point. He really seems to think he has the answers BUT is clueless. You obviously have never played sports or you would know this is a game of matchups. You can go all day about Alex & Kap which is rediculous ta this point. BUT the point of the sacks is that Kap matches up better against the Ravens and gives us teh best chance to win the game. Why do basically the same thing as last year with Alex and expect much different? COMPRENDO DUMB@SS!?

90. By phatalerror on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

“Why do basically the same thing as last year with Alex and expect much different?”

Where is Chilo Rachal?

91. By dave g. on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

ITS COMICAL HOW PHATABLAHBLAH copies and pastes all these stats and thinks he has made a point. He really seems to think he has the answers BUT is clueless. You obviously have never played sports or you would know this is a game of matchups. You can go all day about Alex & Kap which is rediculous ta this point. BUT the point of the sacks is that Kap matches up better against the Ravens and gives us teh best chance to win the game. Why do basically the same thing as last year with Alex and expect much different? COMPRENDO DUMB@SS!!!!? You trying to argue something that was totally not the point & wasted a lot of time doing so with so much conviction. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

92. By tanglung on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I’ve got 49ERS FEVER.

93. By mfkram64 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

the niners gotta get ready for a very physical raven d….they r dirty like seattle..look at how many personal foul penalies they had against patriots…pollard is a dirty player and he will try to take kap,crabs or gore out with a cheap shot..i also think aldeon has to step it up..they have to get pressure on flacco it takes time for those long routes so they gotta get to him and he will throw a duck up in the air for a pick…niner d needs to set the tone right off the bat..make a big hit cause a fumble…..see what ravens d did to the patriots sent a message with those hits it intimatated them rest of game…

94. By tanglung on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Kaepernick and HIS 49ers are bringing RING #6 back to SAN FRANCISCO.

95. By 9erdog on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Kaepernick, I haven’t read one poster here go after him ! Not Temper11′ or phatalerror’ or 9erdog’ for that matter ,, so who’s doing this, get him/her off the board.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

96. By jesus mendoza on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

KAP HANDLE UR BUSINESS WE BE OK….. NINERS WE WILL BE CHAMPS SOON>>>>>>>>>>

97. By dave g. on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

KAP is the man and he brings us swagger. If you don’t see that then you clueless. LETS GO WIN #6!

98. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

you went after him 9erdog liar,,,you said we lost the playoffs when coach h made the switch,,you said the locker was divided, you said kap wasnt ready and he shouldnt play untill next year,you said kap cant read defenses enough,,,you said the door should hit greg roman in the a$$ on his way out the door,,you have complained about everything this year,,your a fence sitter,,you have all year long been saying negative s,hit, and when good things happen you act like you have been behind the whole team the whole time, but its not surprising knowing how big of a liar you are,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

99. By 9erdog on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

So what I said I was wrong BFD! get over yourself dummy !

100. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

that doesnt change the fact that your a fair weather fan and a HUGE liar

101. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

just your mannerisms alone lead one to believe that you havent even been watching 49er games untill they started winning again,,your such a fence sitter while harbaugh has been the coach,,,,THERE IS NO WAY YOU WOULD HAVE WATCHED THE 49ERS WITH ALL THE LOSING THAT THEY HAVE DONE,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,EXCEPT 9ERDOG THE LIAR,,HE ONLY BELIEVES IN HARBAUGH WHEN EVERYTHING IS GOING WELL…

102. By 9erdog on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I think we have a pretty good change of beating the Ravens, I think Kaepernick has come a long way in just a few games.
    Good for him, never had a thing against Kaepernick didn’t like the away some things happened, but thats the way it goes!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

103. By phatalerror on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

Swagger is what you commend when you can’t commend anything tangible in comparison to players who excel at a given task.

Go 49ers. Win this one before the defensive coordinators learn how to stop the NFL’s newest fad.

104. By Al on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

I’ve been 49ers fan all my life, and it’s so awesome that my favorite team will be playing in my hometown in the Superbowl!!!

105. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

hey everyone,,,look,,its tweedle-dee,,,and tweedle-dumb,,,one is hung up on emotions, and the other one is crossing his fingers that kap fails,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

106. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

there goes 9erdog the liar once again,,he says he never had a thing against kaepernick,,,except that for the the whole season he has been saying that kap cant read defenses, and kap shouldnt be playing untill next year, and kap isnt ready,,annd kap cant see past his first read,,go back and look 9erdog liar,,maybe you have a real bad memory and cant remember the things you post,,,,,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,except 9erdog the liar,,he only believes in coach harbaugh when things are going good

107. By jt49 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

well i for one am utterly disappointed by the comments on this board. we are rooting for the same team here people. ya’ll are acting like a bunch of no-good ravens fans, at each others throats like this. im from md, so ill tell you there are no worse fans on earth. guess what, i like alex smith. but wait! i like kaepernick too. get over yourselves, and get behind the team. be proud niners fans, not a bunch of lowlifes at each others throats when you both want the same thing to happen.

108. By phatalerror on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

“well i for one am utterly disappointed by the comments on this board.”

And it all started with me absolutely contradicting the prevailing misconceptions concerning Alex Smith. Amazing how a little bit of truth brought out the worst in some people.

109. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

who empowered you to just have to contradict anything?,,,yes it all started with you and your snide way of telling everyone how wrong they were,,and the way you go about with your condecending way of doing it,,,,jus sayin’,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST

110. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 23, 2013 | Reply

you cant constantly try and tell people how wrong they with that type of snide commenting, and your insinuations,,of course it will eventually turn into a flurry of bad language and insulting,,,no one likes to be told they are wrong,especially when they think they are right,,,your are the glaring example of this,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

111. By phatalerror on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Just because you are wrong doesn’t make me condescending. I *proved* you wrong because you made statements on these boards that were patently false.

You don’t want to be proven wrong? Do your research before posting instead of parroting ignorant writers and fans who didn’t do their own research first. You just make yourself look more ignorant when you dance around the subject by name-calling and baseless allegations.

112. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

I PROVED YOU WRONG WITH YOUR BUCKY BROOKS PUT DOWN AND YOUR SO STUPID I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT ME BEING WRONG ABOUT ANYTHING,,,YOUR SUCH AN IDIOT,,YOU WERE IN SUCH A HURRY TO JUMP ALL OVER WHAT I WROTE YOU MIS-INTERPRETED IT,,,WHAT A MORON,,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,

113. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

I WAS REFERING TO YOU BEING WRONG,,,WHAT A CLULESS F,U,C,K,,,,,

114. By dave g. on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

PHATABLAHBLAH-Research you say? I don’t need research. Thats the point…I see whats happening and whats going to happen. Thats the difference with the smart & the ignorant. I can pull up stats and quotes from experts all day long to back me up. But I don’t need that to know WHAT I SEE. BUT if you insist on needing stats & quotes they all over the internet. Infact there are more pro KAP than pro Smith. I am not going to waste my time on all but here is a sample you weak minded ladys feminine product ; )

115. By dave g. on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

; )

116. By dave g. on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

117. By dave g. on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

Did you catch the #1 & #2 reasons above? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

118. By dave g. on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

PHATABLAHBLAH: Swagger is something you will never relate to. Its what winners have in sports and in life. Those that possess it recognize it in others and those that don’t will never get it.

119. By dave g. on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

And Phatablahblah…another stat for you since you a stat w h o r e:

49ers average scoring with Alex starting: 23.6 points

49ers average scoring with Alex starting: 28.6 points

120. By dave g. on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

MEANT TO SAY:

49ers average scoring with Alex starting: 23.6 points

49ers average scoring with KAP starting: 28.6 points

121. By dave g. on Jan 24, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know about most people but I think that the 5 points per game is kinda of a big dillio (especially with Akers struggling). BUT I guess in your world you have proved me wrong and yes Phatablahblah there is a tooth fairy. Good luck waiting on that change. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!