Morning Tailgate: Jan. 17

Posted by Alex Espinoza on January 17, 2013 – 10:54 AM

For most running backs in the NFL, their production starts to dip as they approach their 30th birthday. But 49ers rushing king Frank Gore isn’t like most running backs.

The franchise’s all-time leader in yards, touchdowns and carries is still a workhorse in the backfield at the age of 29. Last week against the Packers, the eight-year veteran ran for 119 yards, joining Colin Kaepernick (181 rushing yards) and Michael Crabtree (119 yards receiving) as the only trio in NFL playoff history to feature two, 100-yard rushers and a 100-yard receiver on the same team.

Jim Trotter of Sports Illustrated traced Gore’s career and his ability to bounce back from devastating injuries and still be one of the game’s most productive backs.

“His resiliency is largely due to genetics and toughness, but there is an ample dose of passion in the recipe,” Trotter wrote. “It might not be as public as a Ray Lewis pre-game dance or speech, but it’s obvious behind the closed doors of the locker room, where the soft-spoken 5-foot-9, 217-pound veteran has been known to cry at his locker after losses, or on the practice field, where during training camp in 2007 coaches had to hide his helmet because he kept sneaking onto to the practice field despite having a broken hand.”

Do you want to see the NFC Championship game in Atlanta? 49ers Faithful have until Noon today to enter to win a trip to Atlanta that includes airfare, lodging and game tickets.

Today’s Morning Tailgate also focuses on Colin Kaepernick in the national spotlight, NFC Championship matchups to watch and more.

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times spoke to Kaepernick’s older brother, Kyle, about his kid brother’s success.

Jeffery Chadiha of ESPN.com said Jim Harbaugh’s decision to start Kaepernick will pay big dividends for the 49ers.

Demian Bulwa of the San Francisco Chronicle spoke to Kaepernick’s father, Rick, about the family’s reaction to Colin’s success.

Nate Stuhlbarg of CSNBayArea.com labeled Kaepernick as a new breed of NFL quarterback.

Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group discussed Kaepernick’s ability to bounce back from interceptions.

Josh Dubow of the Associated Press focused on Kaepernick’s role in bringing the Pistol offense to the NFL.

John Parolin of ESPN Stats and Info took a statistical look at Kaepernick’s impact.

NFL.com gives you a behind-the-scenes look of the 49ers-Packers game with the NFL Network show Sound FX.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com discussed Harbaugh’s tactic of placing high school rankings above the players’ lockers.

Evan Silva of RotoWorld.com took a look at three key matchups for both conference championships.

Sports Illustrated put together a photo gallery of 10 storylines to follow this weekend.

Ray Ratto of CSNBayArea.com discussed the possibility of a HarBowl in the Super Bowl.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle wrote about Greg Roman’s ability to keep the opposing defense guessing.

Maiocco analyzed the upcoming chess match between Roman and Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

Maiocco and Branch passed along comments from Justin Smith regarding the brace on his left arm.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee examined the athletic 49ers offensive line.

Sports Illustrated looked ahead to the possible role of Vernon Davis and how he could expose the Falcons defense.

Mike Sando and Pat Yasinskas of ESPN.com went back and forth discussing the 49ers-Falcons matchup.

Farmer previewed the NFC Championship between San Francisco and Atlanta.

Matt Kawahara of the Sacramento Bee noted the players’ mindset entering the second straight NFC Title game.

Kevin Lynch of the San Francisco Chronicle spoke to LaMichael James about Chip Kelly entering the NFL coaching ranks.

49ers.com’s coverage included a look at Harbaugh’s motivational tactics, Justin Smith’s toughness, Kaepernick’s ability to stay calm under pressure, Andy Lee’s return to the South and Jonathan Goodwin’s role on the athletic o-line. We also brought you a look at the 49ers entering the field, Jim Harbaugh’s press conference (video / transcript), along with Kaepernick, Smith and Willis.

TV49’s CLIP OF THE DAY

That’s a good group of 49ers.

Tags: , , , , , ,

102 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Jan. 17”

1. By francisco hernandez on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

U got this cap!!! Super bowl here we come !!

2. By Hermie on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I am willing to carry over yesterdays blog!! Although they are not “STATS” I would say they are givens.

Here are some of the physcal and mental traits Kaep already has over Alex:

Size – Bigger and faster
    Arm Strentgh – no comparison, Kaep is probably in top 5 of NFL
    Pocket Awareness – Better pocket awareness than Alex
    Escapability – Alex has some pretty good ability here, but give it to Kaep.
    Reading Defenses – I give it a draw based on the last two games
    Learning ability – Gee, have to give that one to Kaep too…maybe it is the extra time he spends watching film etc…that Alex does not do.
    Accuracy – Alex 10yds or under, Kaep. 10yds or over.

No Brag, Just Fact!!!

3. By Buzz Clifford?arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com o.k. I think we’re good.

4. By 11yearswithalex on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

attention …attention ……..alex has left the building ………..

5. By tanglung on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I’ve got 49ERS FEVER………GO 49ERS……….

6. By gary potter on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

11 still waiting for your answer about the 90 mil contract. LIAR

7. By bow53 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

pound this B.O.N.E. H.E.A.D.(11) gary p…..

8. By tanglung on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

We shouldn’t pay attention to what the i d i o t says and i’m not mentioning his name (11yearswithouabrain). The i d i o t thrives on our response. LET’S GO 49ERS

9. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Hermie… to your list:

Size – Bigger and faster? Agree.

Arm Strength – Agree that Kaep is better but I personally don’t put alot of stock in this. In my opinion, Alex didn’t go deep very much, not because he couldn’t, but because I think fundamentally, he’s a more conservative QB. I think he subscribes fully into the “Take what the defense gives you” philosophy. I think a good game manager is highly UNDER-RATED – especially when you have the defense that we do. That’s not to say that Kaeper is giving games away, clearly he is not, but that was the main concern for me (from an un-emotional standpoint) at the time of the switch.

10. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

poof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so frustrating…

11. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

why do all the “poof’s” make it through?

12. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

god I hate this freaking thing sometimes.

13. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

“Pocket awareness” – I think this is misleading. When Kap sees a whole, he just runs through it.

14. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

So he isn’t in the pocket nearly as much as Alex was.

15. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

test?

16. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

“Escapability” – Agreed, give it to the Kaeper.

18. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I give up… this site, with it’s inconsistency is such a waste of time. Can some 9er fan IT whiz please fix this f-ing site!

19. By 49er-n-memphis on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

What the heck is this guy talking about. Stop waisting your time eith all this nonsence. N Harbaugh We Trust. POINT BLANK, STOP ALL THE WHAT IFS N ROLL WIT IT OR GET ROLLED OVER!

20. By tanglung on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

SAN FRANCISCO FORTY NINERS……….

21. By tanglung on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

It’s words like p@ss have to be typed a certain way or it thinks your typing @ss/a$$.

22. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

its really nauseating watching this person post with different screen names thinking he is fooling everyone,,its quite obvious,

23. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

49er-n-memphis if you are talking about me, I was trying to respond to a post that was comparing two 49er QB’s. If this isn’t the appropriate venue for that discussion what is? Thanks tanglung. I’ll watch out for that.

24. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

if we all just posted “ra ra 49ers” “go 49ers” all day, wouldn’t that be boring? At least to me it would be. I realize that there’s been a lot of QB talk, but there usually is on any football blog. You don’t get as much discussion on other topics, because we pretty much all agree on everything else. What’s to discuss? Who do you think should start this week Crabtree or AJ Jenkins? That is about a 2 second conversation. I usually only post when I disagree with something and therefore have something to add to the discussion – a different point of view.

25. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

49erdefense2012 are you referring to me? If not, I apologize, but if you are, I’m not quite sure 1) why anyone would do that – what’s the point? or 2) how I can prove that I only post under this “handle”. For all I know you yourself post under a few different names. I’m not suggesting you do, primarily to my reason number 1 above, but it’s easy to throw out that accusation. What would be my motivation for posting under different names?

26. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Temper11-you blog too much stupid sh!t. You overly defend Phatabalablah like he is your girl (not sure what that’s all about) and you just say a lot of stupid & naive things.

27. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

dave g, – you blog too much stupid sh!t. You overly criticize Phatalerror like he stole your girl (not sure what that’s all about) and you just say a lot of stupid & naive things.

28. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

You’re right, that is much harder than taking a position and backing it with statistics. Man, I really don’t give you guys enough credit. (sarcasm)

29. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

uhhhm “I am rubber & you glue”, what a geek. HA!

30. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Oh..wait, you a geek time infinity! HAHAHAHA. You such a dork…nice comeback cheesed!ck.

31. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

BTW Dave, you really exerted your “Alphadogness” on that last post! That was really impressive. I’m feeling very put-in-my-place right now. If you could see me, I’m cowering in the corner because of your mad alpha-dog words. Way to go… scary.

32. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Ouch! you called my names, that really hurt! Oh wait, I’m not 4 years old anymore, I forgot. But you are right, these are really insightful posts that you are putting up. Really well considered and thoughtful. I’m aghast at how you could know that I have a d!ck filled with cheese! Must be your Alphadog stature shining through again. I’m amazed!

33. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

YOU DONT GET IT DUMB@SS. I am not afraid to be wrong! Its symbolizes the basic difference between us. I put myself out there with no fear. You use words like “it makes me nervous”, “its risky”, “he is unproven”, etc, etc. with trepidation. I say F that. This is what I believe and this is what I am doing and saying. COMPRENDO THE DIFFERENCE in our profiles. Any expert profile examiner could go through our blogs and knows who kicks @ss in life and who does not between me and you Temper11, Plablahblah or whatever your name is (aka omegas). Your types all blend in together. Yeah you the fools who normally work for me!

34. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

My post was not the “I’m rubber, your glue” comeback as you thought. Once again, I was aiming a little higher than playground politics here. I was pointing out the irony of your own post. You accuse me of being somehow obsessed with Phatal because I defend his posts, I was showing you your own obsession with him by constantly viciously and needlessly attacking him. My apologies if you are in fact only a child. I mean no offense and had no way of knowing.

35. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I take the hot girl home while you trying to think of what to say so you don’t get rejected. THATS THE DIFFERENCE LOSER AND ITS OBVIOUS FROM ALL YOUR WEAK @SS THOUGHTS AND BLOGS. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I am done with slapping you b!tch. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

36. By DYENNY on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

GET REDY FOR THIS . KNOCKING OVER RATED RYAN ON HIS BACKSIDE WILL GIVE HIM HAPPY FEET AND THAT WILL BE WHEN THE TURNOVERS START. THEY HAVENT PLAYED A DEFENSE LIKE OURS ALL YEAR . TIME TO THE NFL TO WATCH 4 DIFFERENT PLAYERS TO SCORE A T.D. THIS WEEKEND. WE HAVE THE BEST TEAM IN EVERY CATAGORY OF ALL TEAMS LEFT IN PLAYOFFS . LETS GO NINERS. HERMIE NICE BREAKDOWN. RATHER SEE THAT INSTEAD OF A BUNCH OF PEOPLE ARGUING AGAINST EACH OTHER.

37. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Phatal is a weak “know it all” and deserves everything he gets for trying to be condescending to others. I don’t give two sh!ts whether you like it!

38. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

ha ha ha… again with the self aggrandizement. so lame. You hold up the exampel that “putting yourself out there”, ON AN ANONYMOUS BLOG” is evidence that you have no fear? Very impressive once again. Who is afraid of being wrong here? If I were afraid of being wrong, why would I, or Phatal, or anyone even bother posting? I’ve already admitted to being wrong. I didn’t think that Kap would be able to not make the kind of mistakes that young QB’s tend to make under pressure. I’ve been wrong. He’s been lucky on a few occasions, but he’s really played great. I’m not at all afraid of being wrong and am in fact, often wrong – more so than I’d like to admit. And, by the way, I am an expert profile examiner and my expert opinion is that I’m totally kicking your @ss.

39. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

My hot girl is already at home and she rejects me way more than I’d like… it’s called marriage. You are so not impressive with your big Alphadog talk. Do you have anykind of support structure around you that can help you?

40. By Hermie on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Temper…I liked that you tried taking my points and commenting. Don’t get me wrong, one of mylast blogs before Alex went down was that I believed he could get us to the dance. Do I believe Kaep gives us a better chance…yes, I saw that in his first preseason game “last year”, not that he was ready last year.

This is a big game for him coming up…lost of pressure and I hope he keeps his composure. I do not believe Alex gives us the come from behind capability that Kaep gives us.

He will continue to make mistakes as all QB’s do…but right now we have the team that can help him get over them!! Montana and Young lost some Championship games, but never a SB!!

41. By Hermie on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Let’s hope Kaep goes 1 for 1 in Championship appearances…until next year!!

42. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

In regard to Phatal’s condescending tone, it’s hard not to be condescending when the people your are debating resort to childish insults,foul language and paranoid accusations as their only means of communication.

43. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I have first hand experience with this very thing.

44. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I dont see ho dave g using his name is being annomys,,jus’ sayin’,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST

45. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Agreed Hermie, I’d point to the Saints game as evidence that Alex can turn it on when he needs to… it’s just that over the last two years, the formula for success has been get an early lead, don’t take big risks and let the defense do it’s thing. Alex has managed 19 of 24 games in just that fashion. He didn’t win them all, as I’m sure a few of you are already typing to point out, but no one does. I thought making the move would upset that equation, but it hasn’t. And I’ve been pleasantly humbled by that fact. Tanglung gave me the key to posting, so hopefully I’ll be able to respond with more consistency. It cracks me up that people can get away with callling me a cheesed!ck on here and that goes through fine, but if I write the word p@ss without substituting characters for letters, my post gets blocked! Computers….

46. By 11yearswithalex on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

wow ok so dont believe i have to do this but ok if it will help you sleep or at least find something else to do here we go ……alex signed a 6 year deal for 49.5 mill plus 24 guaranteed …that is all ready almost 75 mill …but we shall go on …..in 2009 and 2010 he was to make 10 mill each year they restructured it to 4 each year …..so instead of 20 mill he made 8 plus a small base salary so say 10 after all said and done so 39 mill with rookie contract and 24 all ready guaranteed so 63 million …..then after the lock out he signed a 1 year deal for 5 million and after that he signed the famous 3year 24 mill contract so 87 million ..sooo sorry for the confusion and yes he will not get the remaining 2 years but he still signed for it

47. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

49ersdefense, it’s an internet blog. even if I told you my name, Mike J, or even my full name, Mike Jensen, is it my real name? Who knows. It’s like all this BS of, I have the hottest girl friend”, “I have the best job”, “I have been a niner fan the longest”, “I don’t have a d!ck filled with cheese”. It’s all meaningless BS. I or you or Dave G, or anyone can reinvent themselves on the internet into anything that they want, and the louder they are about it, the less believable it is. That’s why I always try to steer the conversation away from that kind of stuff. It’s meaningless. Ideas, communication, debate, different view points, discussion, etc. are the only thing that matter here.

48. By 11yearswithalex on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

THAT IS a huge sum of money for a QB who can only throw checkdowns and goes 3 and out more than any rookie QB ….what a waste of money and time the niners wasted

49. By 11yearswithalex on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

but now we have the kaeper ….and he is a keeper and will be well worth any money he will get after next year …..with walsh we were the west coast …with harbaugh we are the pistol ….thats pistola is spanish in case you did not know ….and also a part of a flower ……used for …well i am sure we are all educated people here ……….

50. By 11yearswithalex on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

hey anyone see who the niners are eyeing inthe draft all ready …..huge DT mauler and a corner with speed and shut down skills …..names to be comeing soon as per sources the niners are building a juggernaught and the NFL better be on alert ….GOOOOO NINERS

51. By 11yearswithalex on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

alex retire before some team puts you out there to get blasted and you get hurt ….just saying best of wishes and yes thank you for the saints game ….man i still like the face of brees after that game lol …..too funny

52. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I’m admitting that I don’t know much about this… DID EVERYONE HEAR THAT, I fully admit I don’t get into all the contract stuff very much if at all, but I thought that 49.5 million signing and 24 mil guaranteed meant that 24 mil of the 49.5 was guaranteed, not that it is 49.5 plus the 24. Am I wrong on that?

53. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

My second point… who cares, whether you think he stunk and was the sole reason we had so many bad years, I think he gave everything he had… It’s not like he wasn’t trying his best to succeed.

54. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

If he just took the money and then threw on an extra 50lbs, and then didn’t show up for camp, etc. then I think you’d have a gripe.

55. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

but you all know what he was put through here from the day he stepped off the plane. He was put into a bad situation and he did the best he could.

56. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

If you don’t think he was worth the money we gave to him… be mad at the GM or whoever made that decision, but hating on Smith because you don’t like the style of QB he is makes no sense. It would be the same thing as my wife being mad at me for having a dog… even though I had the dog before we got married, not like it came as a surprise. Alex doesn’t owe us anything he hasn’t already given us. He worked hard and got abused while here. And now we are kicking him to the curb right when things have turned the corner. I don’t like it, but I’m getting over it – slowly! ha ha ha ha…. Go niners and Goooo Kaep! Nothing but love for you Kaep. I don’t begrudge you making the most of the opportunity given to you! Go win the f’n superbowl dude. I’ll be Kaepernicking along with everyone else!

57. By DMT on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Has anyone seen Bruce Miller and Sourdough at the same time?

58. By rypat on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Definately agree with a nasty DT and CB in the upcoming draft.

I hate to call him out but Aldon needs to step the F@ck up! Correct me if I’m wrong but he hasn’t even sniffed an opposing QB in 4-5 games! What up with that!?!?!?!?!

59. By mfkram64 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

look temper11..phataleblahblah gets what he deserves….he keeps on comparing alex to kap,,,like i said 3 weeks ago we all get it…he loves alex..quote”alex is better than colin” i guess he loves alex NO? we all have moved on and so has the team with kap. as qb…blahblah what was alex’s stats his first 8 starts? how bout last 7 years? i’m not bashing on alex just want to make a point…it’s easy to use his last year and a half how bout his first 2 years? cuz stats doen’t lie…he tells dave g. we will see about kap so be ready…yes how bout if they win it all blahblahblah? u better be ready..of coarse u will pick one part of his game and give us your BLAHBLAHBLAH!!!

60. By mfkram64 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

i agree aldon seems tired to me…niners need a big game from him this week…make life miserable for ryan…put pressure on him and he will throw picks…

61. By mfkram64 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

as usual 11 years u r so off base..who cares about alex and his money or next years draft…they r in the nfc champ. game sunday..draft? r u serious? who cares right now about draft picks,,,all i know is they will be picking 32 and 9…9ers won’t be in the pro bowl game…cuz they will be playing in the SUPER BOWL!!!

62. By temper11 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Test

63. By ace on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

ty temper for putting that into perspective, alex with no brain shhh already, and ty harbaugh for bringing happiness to the 49er family, and the falcons well its gonna feel like a truck hit you sunday,abraham is playing sunday, not me,abraham but the falcons sack leader abraham, i dont think an injured older dl is gonna be able to do much, against the speed and running ability this team has, i dont follow the falcons but it seems their team is built aroung the offense and their defense is getting old, so no chance in my book 49ERS ALL THE WAY, LETS START SCREAMING GOOOOO NINERS !!!

64. By ace on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

what else would you expect from al davis on crack(11 years with no brain) we have extra picks next year noone cares about next year, its all about this sunday leave nothing in ur tank use it all leave it all on the feild, loved that part in micd up when willis asked bowmen if he could give his all for 15 mins for the last quarter,60 mins give ur best WE WILL WIN, LETS GO TO THE SUPER BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWL !!!

65. By ace on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

has there ever been a better dou of inside linbackers than willis and bowman ? no
    there really isnt a more talented or more fun to watch defense than we have,and if you havent heard its defense thats wins championships, unleash the beasts on sunday compete like we know you can and “return with humble hearts” wait no fuc that last part, go for the throat and stomp on their heads till the whistle blows

66. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Temper11-You really are not very bright..you take everything soo literally. You don’t get the point because your brain cannot see the point unless its directly painted out for you. A representation of a different mindset is being highlighted here. Its not whether you are picking up girls in clubs. Are you really that simple minded? LET ME TRY TO TYPE IN SIMPLE TERMS FOR YOU: Numbers and stats are very useful information BUT it can cause you to miss very important things. In your mindset you fear and are very nervous of making a choice unless you have the safety net of historical data & “experts” backing it up. I understand that because its what the majority does. There are then those who blindly don’t do this and make terrible decisions based on emotional up and down bandwagon jumping. Then there are those who take stats & historical data into account but use their mind and instincts to guide their decisions because they have a strong belief in themselves & what they think for themselves. You can call it what you want but it has worked very well for them in the past and I trust their instincts incredibly. I don’t need to pull up stats to tell me KAP is going to be great. I don’t need “experts” to tell me. I see it with my eyes. I see how the players gravitate to him. I see the transformation going on with the team. You see running QB and are solely going based on history. I see there is something different about this one. I see it and believe in it and I don’t need some sort of backup from a person or numbers to stand by it. I believe in my gut and my instincts. Why do you think QBs are the toughest position to draft?

67. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

I believe in KAP and I believe in myself. I make no excuses for thinking highly of myself and my track record of making good decision and being right most of the time. If you not comfortable with it thats your problem. I am not going to act like I am not too confident to make you feel better about yourself. I love me. It must suck not to trust your instincts enough and to need some sort of safety net but it aint me. THE BOTTOM LINE IS I AM INCREDIBLY HAPPY WE HAVE KAP AND IF YOU DON’T SEE THE GREATEST THATS HAPPENING THEN YOU JUST NOT OBSERVANT ENOUGH. GOOD LUCK COPY AND PASTING STATS. I wonder how many Patriots fans wanted Beldsoe back in to replace Bledsoe in 2001? It sounds silly now but it was a reality then. The numbers and everything else said Bledsoe in 2001. I wonder how many of those fans are admitting that today.

68. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

KAP will prove all the doubters wrong. If you a true 49er fan then you want to see him do great. Not sure why these idiots are still going on about a QB controversy. KAP is the man! Just accept it and be happy where we at if you a NINER fan. Harbaugh has done a great job! Geeeeeeeeez

69. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

Just think where the Patriots would be today if they stayed with Bledsoe instead of a skinny kid with terrible scouting combine stats drafted in the 6th round in 2000? Bellichick had a belief regardless of what anyone thought with no stats to back it up. Thats how you achieve greatness..not by playing it safe. Yeah Bledsoe was good BUT he was not great. We want to reach for greatness so if we have it and believe its there, lets roll with it and go for it and bring that title where it belongs!

70. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

BTW: KAP is not a skinny kid with a terrible scouting combine stats drafted in the 6th round so there was much more doubters in that scenario.

71. By dave g. on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

RED & GOLD!

72. By gary potter on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

11 you are full s$$t. 49.5 mil with 24 mil guaranteed is not 63.5 mil stupid. it means only that 24 mil is guaranteed and team can void remainder at their option.it comes out to 8 +mil a year for 6 years.

73. By gary potter on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

i meant to say if contract went full 6 yrs.

74. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 17, 2013 | Reply

EXACTLY DAVE G.,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,,

75. By tanglung on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

All I have to say is ………………………………………………………49ERS

76. By Hermie on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

ALL OF THE COACHING VACANCIES ARE FILLED!!!!

Could not have worked out better…I thought for sure we were going to lose Roman, Fangio or both!!! Whoa Whoa!!!! Continuity is the best we could have hoped for…another year under the same system!!!

77. By mfkram64 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

i tip my hat to people who really get what’s being said..thx dave g. so well put!! u hit it right on….u put it in words and explain it perfect….me i’m rough around the edges but that is exactly what i have been saying to blahblahblah…now lets get ready for sunday……need to play their wr’s physical…white is small but a burner and jones is big and fast..i worry about him more..need to shut him down early..need the smith boys to be on ryan’s back all day!!!

78. By gary potter on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

11 any answer to my post?? your 1st attempt was not to sharp. LIAR but that was just like all your post (NONESENSE)

79. By bow53 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

hermie i hear u bro. our coaching staff will be intact in the year to come, thats great news for a start……”NINERS BABY!!!!!!

80. By bow53 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

keep on pounding gary p..this B.O.N.E.H.E,A.D. (11) is not awake yet,playing late w/ his vdeo games…….

81. By 9erdog on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

How does anyone prove a Negative ,, just asking?

82. By temper11 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Dave G – You can’t really get on Phatal for being condescending when you post this kind of drivel. You’re the one who bragged, as if it were relevant in any way to the conversation of football, that you’re taking home chicks from a bar, then said it’s not about taking home chicks, then talked some more about how awesome you are and how much self confidence that you have which gives you the ability to walk WAY OUT ON THIS LIMB to proclaim that Kaepernick is a great QB. Man… you are right, you are taking a big risk there. If he turns out to be a bust, you’ll lose everything. Oh wait, this is just a FREAKING INTERNET BLOG… you won’t lose anything. Stop acting like you are jumping on a live grenade here. Typically someone who believes in himself and is full of self confidence doesn’t have to keep telling himself and everyone around him how awesome he is all the time.

83. By 9erdog on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Colin and Alex have the same 2012 record 6 2 1/2

84. By temper11 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

In an effort to bring the conversation back to football…. Goooo Niners! Go Kap! Go Smiths!, Go everyone. Can’t wait for the game on Sunday.

85. By 9erdog on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

the most important thing for a QB is not a canon for an Arm, but his footwork!

86. By temper11 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

mfkram64. Not to open this can of worms again, but you brought it up…. I don’t think it’s fair to compare Alex’s start with the 49ers to Colin’s. Colin is benefiting from the fact that he has arguably the best offensive line in football in front of him. Smith had a bunch of paper dolls in front of him when he started. Colin has a now veteran Crabtree along with Davis and Moss, Alex didn’t have any of that when he started. Crabtree has really only just started playing to his potential this year. Davis wasn’t a productive member of the team until Singletary benched him. Colin also has the benefit of playing opposite one of the best defenses in the league. Our secondary when Alex started, and for several years after that, was nearly non-existent and couldn’t get off the field on 3rd downs. Furthermore, Colin has the benefit of Jim Harbaugh and his very solid coaching staff. Alex had many coaching staffs, none of whom knew how to effectively use the player they drafted. And finally, Colin has the benefit of Alex Smith. He’s had a full year and a half to mentor under Smith who (whether you like Smith or not) is a 7 year veteran, knows how to read defenses, knows many different offensive schemes and is probably the smartest player on the field at any given moment. Smith had no one to mentor under, coaches who didn’t know how to use him, was thrown on the field with almost no one around him and expected to turn everything around. I understand that you are in favor of the switch, and I respect that, but I don’t think the comparison between these two players starts in the NFL is a fair comparison to make. That being said, I hope that Colin takes every advantage and wipes the floor with the Falcon Defense! Go niners!

87. By Hermie on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

AND, Kaep seems to have both!!

88. By 9erdog on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Aldon Smith may not have been doing so well these last couple of games, because so much of his success is depended on Justin Smith. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

89. By tanglung on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I like all the players on the 49ERS but Most of all, I love the 49ERS………………………….GO 49ERS

90. By 9erdog on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

temper11: you nailed it, brief and to the point! (can of worms?)
    Alex also had shoulder surgery which also held him back, sorry but I had to bring that up.

91. By temper11 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

agreed tanglung. I want the superbowl for all of them… Gore, Willis, J Smith, Goldson, Whitner, Crabtree, Davis, Walker, Smith and Kap, Williams, etc etc. etc. They’ve deserved this success and I hope they can carry it right on through the superbowl.

92. By temper11 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

agreed 9erdog, but the shoulder surgery wasn’t in his first two years I don’t believe. I could be wrong on that, but it seems to me that came later. Mfkram specifically called out the first 2 years for each player, so that’s what I focused on. And by the way, maybe if their positions were reversed, Kap would have overcome all those adversities and won in spite of them… one can make that argument, and there are many here that may indeed make that argument. Personally, I don’t think that would have been the the case because in my opinion, football is a team sport. You need everything to work together. One guy can’t do it all on his own.

93. By ogre on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

We shall See! This will be the “Electrickoolaidacid Test”.

94. By 9erdog on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Third season, my bad!

95. By temper11 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Third season was earlier than I thought. I would have guessed fourth.

96. By 9erdog on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I got to thinking that maybe you were right so I went back and double checked. Only because some here see a mistake as a open wound, and then the feeding frenzy starts! And those that would do that, think that they know it all, and so they post with self imposed impunity, that they are the true fan, and all others are 9er wannabe’s.
    IMHO we have a lot of room on this wagon and everybody’s welcome aboard. Good luck 9ers!

“And in his third season, he seemed on his way to delivering on that promise when on September 30, 2007, Seattle defensive tackle Rocky Bernard burst through the heart of the San Francisco 49ers offensive line and took him to the turf. The 300-pound Bernard landed on top of him, separating his shoulder.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1248734/From-pick-years-injured-Now-San-Francisco-49ers-quarterback-Alex-Smith-star-Wembley.html#ixzz2IMBNMIaW
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook”

97. By polo on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

this is in response to all these alex smith haters (hermie)please stop comparing they are both good dont 4get alex already took us where KAP is going sunday dont act like we already won the game KAP could choke and might need ALEX to come in and save the game we should be thankful we have 2 good QBs .ALEX on standby .we love u KAP but us true 9ers want to win the game by any means .so lets go team .TEAM
    is the key its not just KAP or ALEX its us

98. By temper11 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Never doubted you 9erdog. And had you been wrong, wouldn’t have bothered me a bit. I know what you mean about people utilizing a harmless irrelevant mistake as an opportunity to discredit your original point.

99. By dave g. on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Temper-it must suck to be so simple. I am not even sure why you even inserted yourself into something that you will never even get anyway. You too clueless to even get a point when it is made. You too hung up on words and can’t really see the content. How do people like you even get through the day? Its mind boggling.

100. By dave g. on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

I like Alex and always have but to keep going on and on and on. Really????? I always backed Alex but honestly how someone can’t see what KAP can do is just idiotic! Where does this whining come from? Ego? And if you feel sorry for him…get over it. He has made more money than most will see and he is set for life! I like the guy & appreciate all he has done but geeeeeez. Steve Deberg was a nice guy but are people sitting around feeling sorry for him? And he made much less than Alex. Do you see where our team is? Just root for our team and STFU already.

101. By Hermie on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

Polo…I have only thrown out “stats” when “others” were trying to shove Alex stats down our throats!! If you weren’t a newby…you would have seen I have backed Alex and said I thought he could get us to the dance…just before he was hurt as a matter of fact.

I am the one that keeps saying stats are basically meaningless and use them to support that!!

102. By Hermie on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

But, I believe Kaep is better all the way around. What Alex has over him now, Kaep will learn!! He has only started “8” games!! Wow!!