Morning Tailgate: Jan. 15

Posted by Taylor Price on January 15, 2013 – 10:14 AM

Get used to hearing about Colin Kaepernick.

San Francisco’s starting quarterback continues to become a household name now that the second-year player is gracing one of four regional covers for Sports Illustrated.

It’s certainly well-deserved. The youngest starting quarterback in 49ers postseason history had a game for the ages  against the Green Bay Packers – 181 rushing yards – the most by a quarterback in any game. Ever.

Furthermore, Kaepernick threw two touchdown passes and rushed for two more, joining Hall of Fame quarterback Otto Graham and Jay Cutler as the only players to throw and rush for a pair of touchdowns in a postseason game.

Now, Kaepernick is 6-2 as a starter with a 98.7 QB rating to go with 12 touchdown passes , four interceptions, as well as 419 rushing yards and four rushing scores.

Find out more about Kaepernick’s postseason mindset by picking up a copy of the cover story written by SI’s Austin Murphy.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle shared former New York Giants quarterback and CBS commentator Phil Simms’ thoughts on Kaepernick against the Packers.

Branch also wrote about Jim Harbaugh’s comments on David Akers remaining as the 49ers kicker.

Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News shared a transcript of General Manager Trent Baalke’s weekly radio appearance on 95.7 The Game.

Inman also shared details from Willis’ weekly interview, including info on how he watched the Falcons-Seahawks game over FaceTime with Ray Lewis.

Dan Brown of the San Jose Mercury News checked in with Jack and Jackie Harbaugh for conference championship viewing plans.

Jerry McDonald of the San Jose Mercury News checked in with Kaepernick’s college coach, Chris Ault.

Steve Corkran of the San Jose Mercury News looked at Harbaugh’s praise for the 49ers offensive line.

Matt Kawahara of the Sacramento Bee examined the 49ers early preparation for the Falcons.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee discussed how the 49ers aim to handle the Georgia Dome’s noise.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com begins his matchup series with Justin Smith vs. Justin Blalock.

Mike Sando of ESPN.com looked at Michael Crabtree’s recent production in comparison to the NFL’s elite.

Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times wrote about the 49ers looking for the franchise’s first road playoff win in 24 years.

Jim Corbett of USA Today believes Kaepernick presents the Falcons with the biggest test they’ve faced all year.

49ers.com looked ahead to the NFC title game and also shared the NFC Divisional Playoff Gameday cover story with Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman.

TV49’S CLIP OF THE DAY

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 59 Comments »

59 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Jan. 15”

1. By ben on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

this guy , this special guy is finaly our future and i wish the best for him!!!

2. By Hard Truth on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

UH, scuse me, but there was this guy who wrote about Kap long before anyone else, long before Harbaugh…

Bleacher Report 2009, 2010 – Hard Truth.

3. By Hard Truth on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Kap has been doing this all along. He is doing exactly what he did at Nevada. Only now, he is not being ignored by the media. The big question is why was he ignored for so long? How did all the so called “experts” miss him? In retrospect, nothing he has done is surprising. He re-wrote the NCAA record books for dual threats while undert the radar. Why is anyone surprised that he is doing the same thing now? Maybe he should have been the #1 draft pick in 2011? Maybe he should have won the Hesiman? He was clearly the pick of the 2011 draft. It was Kap, not Cam. Finally, has anyone noticed? Nevada, Coach Ault, Colin Kaepernick and the pistol offense are turning the NFL on its head! When will Nevada get some respect?

4. By mrscurtis on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I really would love to meet the niners at the gate when they touch down in Ga. I know they will be here on Friday 18th but I don’t know the time if any one know the time let me know I want to give them some Ga. Love from Their Biggest Georgia Fan! I have been a 49ers fan for over 30 years. I’m 49 and I’m a 49ers Fan that lives in Ga and I’ve never been a bird fan.

5. By Buzz Clifford?arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

INSIDE A VERY BIASED NOISY DOME. This guy (I’m gonna say it) Matt Ryan iis better than Brady and Aaron Rogers. He’ll hook up with (not modern day vernaclar) 6ft5 Tony Gonzales all day long. This game will go down to the last second hailmary or Akers or the other Matt field goal.

NOISE, Matt Ryan, Tony Gonzales, Michael Turner and some Julio Jones will be factors. Roddy White not so much of a factor.

Again they have not seen Navarro, and Patrick and Ahmad, the Smith brothers and mean spirited Dashon Golson and his partner in crime Donte Whitner. Also With that pressure Matt Ryan will throw to Carlos Rogers, Chris Culliver, and Terrell Brown will take it to the house.

Our young whipper snapper Anthony Dixon will have 2 touchdowns this game. Also Crab and Randy hit down ball u miss. Crab that was outstanding the way u hit down a ball u bobbled so it couldn’t bee taken to the house.
    Smashouth football guys. Like Jim their coach is not too shabby.
    In Harbaugh we trust. arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com Make that typo smashmouth football.
    Make Matt Ryan a non-factor. Then go to the Big Dance. Buzz Clifford Central Coast of California

6. By 11yearswithalex on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

several said it before as well as I …..this kid comes to work early everyday and with a skill set all his own and knows how to use em …he does not need a coordinator to tell him how to play ….he plays his way and wants to do better all the time …..he stands for his players and points em out rather than himself …….we should all be thankfull and get on board because he will only get better as will the team …….GOOOOO NINERS …….and thank you kaeper for rescueing the team from the years of blahness

7. By michelle on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

love you guys!im so exiced for this team.this team reminds me of the good old days with joe and jerry!colin is great, so into him.love alex still.i even go my 5 year old is asking me when the next game all week.i have been a niners fan since i was 5. i was a pee wee cheerleader at that time.sunday at my house was awsome.morning were my games then hurry home to watch 1:00 game.Jerry Rice (goat) inspried me to keep going in life.never give up on your dreams.football was my way to show the world i can do anything.so thank you.i can feel it since last year superbowl winners!!! GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!

8. By Buzz Clifford?arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Kaep scan field for every open guy not just Crab and Randy laMichael was open short a couple of times.

9. By tanglung on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

10. By Vikki Green on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I am PROUD 2 B a NINER, “WHO’S GOT IT BETTER THAN US” “NOOOO BODY”!!!

11. By Vikki Green on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

WE NEED A SIX PACK, AND I DON’T MEAN BEER!!!

12. By bow53 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

i’m beginning to realize why ? the switch occured , ck7 has wider vision than alex, don’t get me wrong i’m not a alex hater, o.k., but to be where we r right now, i would embrace it in an instant, were back in an nfc championship,against mike nolan’s defense, only difference is he knows alex smith not ck7 thats the good part,and i’m confident that r defense can get to ryan easy , i see at least 3 sacks here, were slightly favor again, on a hostile environment,but if we play like we played the last game, i would say will be alright…….

13. By dhnf on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

That video gives me the chills.

14. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

@ hard truth, I myself being a very HUGE college football fan and an avid cal beas and stanford cardinal supporter, saw 1st hand the skills of kaepernick, it was with great dismay I watched kap shred the bears. his skills we on display then, I remember telling my wife, man this kid is good, but the national media kept up with the whole ,” yeah,but he did all those things against a weaker conference” type of analyisis. and of course, with all of the s.e.c hyperbole and that being the quote un quote cream of the crop conferences, it seems that kap accomplishments were very over looked or overshadowed if you will by the big tv money conferences, the S.E.C. the BIG 10, and so on, now with the job that coach harbaugh has done with qb’s during his coaching career, san diego state and stanford,, when he was hired by the 49ers.I thought to myself, well he will keep alex smith because of the lockout, the guy gave us the best chance to win at that point due to his familiaraity with the 49ers playbook, try and get the most out of the guy and draft a qb he can develop. as I watched the draft unfold when they announced that they had moved up to take colin kaepernick, I was very excited, my wife said isnt that the guy who killed cal in that game when cal could have been ranked # 1 with a win over nevada? I said yup and we just might have the qb of the future, it will all depend on if harbaugh can groom him into an nfl stly of qb,,,little did I know that not only would harbaugh groom him into a sucessful nfl qb, but together they seem to be changing the very of style of play from todays nfl qb’s,,,AND IM LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT,,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST

15. By Susan on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I’ve been a 9er fan since 1981, through the good and the bad–and I am LOVING the Harbaugh regime—I’m cautiously optimistic we will come away with a win on Sunday, and the 9 hour drive and back will be SO worth seeing the up and coming 9er DYNASTY–yup, I said it..DYNASTY…stay focused, play smart, and let’s take this train to New Orleans—9ers all the way!!!

16. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

now, at first, I didnt think kap was ready to take over the starting duties, due in part to the multiple local media reports that at that time were reporting that kap still didnt quite have the playbook down and was still having trouble making his reads. at that time there was not a whole lot of game film on kap to either disprove or agree with what the media was reporting, so when coach harbaugh made the change I didnt think it was the right one, even with my knowing the very limited style of play that alex smith had. im a true fan of my team and support whoever the qb is unless he is just a complete bust. but, I said well coach knows wayyyy more about who is best to play at qb than I, so i supported the move, and after going back and looking at all the preseason game and regular season games I have on my dvr, it is quite clear to me at least why harbaugh made the switch, you have to listen to your head and stop feeling with your heart to understand why coach harbaugh made the move, so to some, it seems like alex got dissed or was given a raw deal, but in truth,coach made the switch because he felt that kap is going to be a much better qb than alex.,,and so far kap has not shown us any reason not believe in harbaugh’s choice,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

17. By tanglung on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

49ERS defense shut down the packers in the second half last week. The 49ERS defense will start off STRONG and stay STRONG the whole game in Atlanta. Can you say SUPERBOWL 49ERS.

18. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I heard an interesting interview with donte whitner about playing on the road. he said when they are on the road the defense can really key in on what the other teams offense is doing and going to do because its always pretty quiet. very different from playing at home when we 49er faithful our screaming our heads off when the other teams offense is on the field. whitner says its a bonus for the defense at least playing on the road it enables them to hear the qb’s cadence and audibles and in turn make their own adjustments,,,whitner went on to say with a laff, sometimes its our own crowd that may cause us to make a mistake in coverage because one of us didnt hear the dfensive audible or adjustment call..PROUD TO BE ONE OF THE 65,000 FANS THAT GO TO EVERY HOME GAME AND TRY AND HELP OUR TEAM TO VICTORY,,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

19. By ace on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

thank you 49ers , my lunch was , sweet to eat thx, and ty hard knox chicken sandwhich very good, too bad there isnt better food to eat around the richmond dist, cuz im betting lunch again vs falcons, go get my lunch lol and the superbowl !!!! goooooo niners !!!!

20. By 9erdog on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

“richmond dist” raise on 6th ave French hospital my Son was borne there, nothing on Clement St to eat? Chinese is good!

21. By ace on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

i dont watch college games much and never heard of kaep before we drafted him and honestly didnt think a smaller school could produce such a talent cuz if he was that good why wouldnt he go to a bigger football school ? and then in preseson he didnt win the starting job and didnt run away from everyone on the field like he is now and in preseason games he looked slugish and seemed to take a while to get up to speed and this is the same kid, how sweet it is to be wrong so wrong great job kaep keep it up !!!!gooooo niners !!!!

22. By ace on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

yeah i work in the richmond at ace on geary and sooo bored with the same chinese food all the time yeap maybe im spoiled having been born in the city, definitly feel spoiled now cuz the niners are eating up oppents and spitting them out mmmm tasty

23. By ace on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

so come buy some light bulbs at ace ask for ACE !!! and ill give you a 49er discount for 49er fans opps hopefully my boss doesnt read this, wait i know he doesnt cuz he’s the one beating against us and buying my lunch lol gooooo niners !!!!

24. By johninchina on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

tanglung, you’re exactly right, “shut down” is our D’s name and we will build on that second half vs Green Bay and blow up that Dirty Bird offense . . . come out on fire and play at peak level for 60 mins and it’s off to New Orleans ! G Ro, nice play calling and scheme; can we open it up for LaMichael a little more ? Frank, you are still the man and the Kapper is evolving, seems to get better each game . . . hard working professional, congratulations Kap ! Now goooo niners !!!!! I say 49ers by 20 . . . no problem !

25. By ace on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

yes sat it SUPERBOWL 49ERS WOOOT !!!!

26. By 9erdog on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Cover of SI Colin Kaepernick ! HOLLY SH_ _ _
    “SHOUT IT FROM THE MOUNTAIN, JIM —
    YOU WERE DEAD ON ABOUT COLIN KAEPERNICK”

27. By 9erdog on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

ooop’s here you go!
    >> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1485814-san-francisco-49ers-quarterback-colin-kaepernick-on-the-cover <<

28. By Humble Gold on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Kaptain Colin is driving this multi-talent 49er team to Top-Spot.
    In Harbaugh we Trust.

29. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

NOBODY BELIEVE ANYTHING 9ERDOG TELLS YOU. THIS IS THE SAME GUY WHO SAID IN AUGUST THAT HE LIVES IN GREEN BAY AND THEN 2 WEEKS LATER POSTED THAT HE LIVES IN SEATTLE AND THEN SHORTLY AFTER THAT TOLD SOMEONE ELSE THAT HE LIVES IN THE CITY AND WAS BORN AND RAISED THERE. YOU CAN RESEARCH THE DUDES LIES ON THE MORNING TAILGATE BLOGS FROM JULY AND AUGUST,,,9ERDOG/RJDNINER/CRABBER59/AND ALL THE OTHER SCREEN NAMES YOU USE,,,,GIVE IT UP LIAR!!!!! YOU GOT BUSTED IN YOUR LIES AND AFTER MY WIFE POINTED THEM OUT TO YOU YOU PULLED A DISAPPEARING ACT FOR A WEEK TO TRY AND SAVE FACE…I DONT FORGAT A THING ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO BULL$HITTERS SUCH AS YOU,,,YOUR A HABITUAL LIAR !!!!!!!

30. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

AND SO NOW YOUR SON WAS BORN AT FRENCH HOSPITAL NOT CHILFRENS HOSPITAL LIKE YOU POSTED JUST A WEEK AGO? WHAT? YOU CANT REMEMBER WHERE YOUR SON WAS BORN? YOUR SUCH A LIAR YOU PROBABLY DONT EVEN HAVE A KID,,,, LIAR,,,PROVEN LIAR,,,,

31. By Mutney on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Sorry mrscurtis. I’ve lived in Goergia for over 20 years and been a die-hard Niner fan for over 50 years. Also was a former season ticket holder when you had to be tough just to attend a game at Kezar. Actually, there are quite a few displaced Niner fans in Georgia. Our boys will bring another Lombardi home and we’ll all be proud no matter where we live. Go Niners!!!

32. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

SERIOUSLY DUDE, YOU HAVE GOT A SERIOUS PROBLEM WHEN YOU START USING GOOGLE AND YELP TO TRY AND ENHANCE YOUR LIES,,,9ERDOG THE PREVERBIAL LIAR,, THE HABITUAL LIAR,,THE GUY WITH 3-4-5 SCREEN NAMES HE POSTS WITH JUST TO HAVE ANOTHER NAME TO CONVERSE HIS LIES WITH,,,,P A T H E T I C ,,,,,,

33. By 11yearswithalex on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

hey is this thing on

34. By Jaydee on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

he threw for the same yards as alex in the regular season.. its his first year as we know, starting.. bye alex. thanks for your time. CK7 #QUESTFORSIX

35. By Ladybug on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I celebrate my 77th birthday on Sunday…and my family and I are going out to dinner that evening….and we WILL celebrate the 49ers win over the Falcons…Yes siree….The Falcons wont know what to do defensively…..one on one? CK runs down empty lanes like a scampering bunny….Zone defense? CK throws to anyone and gains first downs…all in a row.

The best birthday present in the world would be a 49er victory ….
    Gooooooo NINERS ! ! !

36. By 9erfansince86 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I decided the move to CK7 was the right move in the loss to the r@ms… Why… Because after he fumbled it, he put the team on his back, broke off a huge play and put us in a position to win the game, twice. Unfortunately the kick game didnt go our way but that’s how football is. Once he responded to that kind of adversity I was like, man he’s only going to get better and will be ready for the playoffs. Every game will not go his way but its about staying in there and finding a way to win. That’s what Br@dy and the M@nnings do. I love it.

37. By 9erfansince86 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

I saw him play against Boise . awhile ago and he had a great game but to be honest didn’t read to much into it. When we drafted him, I was like ok this is a risk but if we can develop him it could pay off. I had no idea about his champion spirit and hard work ethic and that’s what JH sees. He doesn’t just draft big talent that can contribute right away, he drafts guys with raw talent and the willingness to learn. He doesn’t get too big on if they can contribute now with no coaching… he wants to coach.

38. By gary potter on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

happy birthday Ladybug. I got you by 2yrs 1 day. i will be 79 on sat and celebrate with you when we win sunday.
    go niners

39. By tanglung on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

11years, NO the thing is not on. So go away…………………

40. By phatalerror on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

To the user who said Matt Ryan is a better quarterback than Aaron Rodgers:

I’ve never heard a coherent explanation from anyone as to how that could be the truth. Did you care to explain your statement?

41. By Hmrhead1 on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

Happy bday to our old school fans Potter and Ladybug. Hope u get ur wish…

And that wish better not be “hitting the lotto!”

42. By gary potter on Jan 15, 2013 | Reply

from frankie a, yat, brodie montana, young, as, now ck7, i have been lucky to witness the greatest OBs in niner history. ck7 will take us all the way.

43. By mfkram64 on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

hello

44. By mfkram64 on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

45. By phatalerror on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

“phatalblahblah…everyone on this site is excited about this kid and OUR NINERS!!! not u..all negative when it comes to colin!!!!”

What do Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers have to do with the 49ers?

46. By mfkram64 on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

they faced rogers and now ryan…i was referring to your post yesterday…”he isn’t even the best qb on the roster” says WHO? YOU?

47. By mfkram64 on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

we r not worried about next year or last year of last week…kap. is the qb and that’s it…he is leading th niners into the champ. game this week..and all u have to bring to the table is negative bullshi!!

48. By phatalerror on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

“…and all u have to bring to the table is negative…”

Too bad. Ignore me. It will be better for your health. You never brought anything to the table in the way of legitimate discussion anyway.

49. By mfkram64 on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

yes i have u r know as BLAHBLAHBLAH!!! everyone knows u!!!!u r so narrow minded u think everything u say is gospel!!! u r a monday morning after the fact guy PERIOD! that’s easy to be….

50. By mfkram64 on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

come on get the last word in!!! i deal with people like u all day…legitmate? so everything u post is legitmate? says WHO? YOU? again u r a joke….

51. By ogre on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

different strokes for different folks! Go Niners

52. By 9erdog on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Lady bug, A very happy birthday to you, that with the 9ers win you should have a great day for sure!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPONINERS!

53. By 9erdog on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

“Madden Picks 49ers to Win It All”
    >> http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d9r9k?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers <<

54. By 9erdog on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” – Mark Twain

55. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

NEVER BELIEVE A LIAR,,,,,,,49ERDEFENSE2012

56. By dave g. on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Phatalerror – You scared to say someone is great before it happens. You play it safe and state the proven, the obvious, copy and paste numbers BUT you afraid to call the less obvious. The brave are not afraid to say before it happens and the smart will tell you whats going to happen before it does. I gather all the intangibles and less obvious aspects AND I foresee whats going to happen & I’m not afraid to say it. What Alex is doing is severly being under-estimated by you & if you are just categorizing him as a running QB you are obviously not observant enough. There has been a lot going on with this team since KAP took over…they are transforming into something special and defenses are scared to death-are you looking at the players on both sides-seriously?. Yes…there are those who are jumping on the bandwagon for KAP blindly BUT really look free of bias and open your eyes. This kid is a special one. This is not Michael Vick or Vince Young or even Randall Cunningham. THIS KID IS SPECIAL so you either protecting your ego or you just not as smart as you think you are! Seriously. YOU REMEMBER THAT I TOLD YOU WHEN YOU SWALLOW THAT PRIDE DOWN HARD!

57. By dave g. on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

Phatalerror-Anyone can copy and paste numbers and stand behind it. Wheres the insightfulness there? Try predicting things before it happens? THATS WHAT I DO BEST. I have a track record of being an Alpha Male and it will continue. You know what else will continue? You being an Omega Male. Its just a fact!

58. By phatalerror on Jan 16, 2013 | Reply

“Phatalerror-Anyone can copy and paste numbers and stand behind it. Wheres the insightfulness there? Try predicting things before it happens? THATS WHAT I DO BEST. I have a track record of being an Alpha Male and it will continue.”

For a moment, I questioned whether my previous submissions here had really made me appear as an arrogant egotist. Then I read this.

You’ve upped the ante here. I was projecting. You are prophesying. If you end up wrong on this one, the humiliation will be immense.

59. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 18, 2013 | Reply

all sarcasm aside, with no insults or anything like that, a casual observer,meaning a buddy of mine who was over my house re-watching some of the regular season games on my dvr, was reading alot of your posts and he said wow, that phatal error guy sure comes off like a know-it-all, or arrogant huh? does he even watch the games more than just when it was televised?,,,,thats why I record and re-watch all the games I can so when I formulate an opinion its not created by the media or a bunch of possible misleading stats…..IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST