Niner Talk: 49ers-Packers NFC Playoffs

Posted by Taylor Price on January 11, 2013 – 2:29 PM

San Francisco’s all-time leader in carries, rushing yards and rushing touchdowns has a simple statement for the 49ers Faithful heading into a Saturday night playoff game at Candlestick Park – “Be loud.”

That was Frank Gore’s message in this week’s Niner Talk podcast. The Pro Bowl running back discussed Saturday night’s Divisional Playoff game against the Green Bay Packers, but made sure to urge the 49ers fans to make noise when the home defense is on the field.

Gore also touched on his respect for Ray Lewis, his “Thank You” gifts for the 49ers offensive line, plus his relationship with Roger Craig, one of the best runners in San Francisco’s proud history.

For the Green Bay Packers perspective, we welcomed back Mike Spofford, lead writer for Packers.com, to hear his thoughts on Green Bay’s evolving rushing attack, plus the biggest challenges the 49ers defense presents and his storyline of the game.

Click here to listen to the Niner Talk podcast, which is also available on our 49ers Gameday live App.

Here are some of the highlights from both interviews.

FRANK GORE

[3:30 – Gore’s thoughts on his freshness entering his second postseason.]

“I feel great. I feel a lot better this year than I did last year. I’ve got to say thanks to my coaches, Coach Tom (Rathman), Coach G-Ro (Roman), Coach Harbaugh, they all help me get through the week. And also, lifting with (strength and conditioning) Coach Uey (Mark Uyeyama), it’s helped me big-time this year, keeping me strong, keeping me fit.”

[8:10 – Gore’s message to the 49ers Faithful.]

“I just want to tell the fans, I’m happy to be back in the playoffs and we want all the 49ers Faithful to be there. On defense, be loud to give the Green Bay Packers trouble. We need ‘em there, we need ‘em loud. We need this win to move on to the next round and to reach our goal and that’s to get to the Super Bowl and bring the trophy back to the Bay Area.”

MIKE SPOFFORD

[9:10 – Spofford’s thoughts on Green Bay’s biggest improvements since Week 1.]

“I think it’s definitely been on defense. I think after the Week 1 game a lot of people were wondering if this would be the same Packers defense as 2011 that gave up a ton of points, yards and big plays, but what the Packers did this year was mix in a lot of young talent. They focused the draft on defense and those players were getting their feet wet. A couple of those players have gotten hurt – Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy were not on the playoff roster. But a lot of the young guys have really come along. A lot can happen in four months and the Packers are a different defense, much improved compared to Week 1.”

[17:00 – Spofford’s storyline of the game.]

“I really want to see can the Packers spread the Niners out and block the Niners’ pass rush without the extra help. The Niners aren’t going to want to send too many extra men at (Aaron) Rodgers because he’s so good against the blitz. The whole key is going to be can the Packers front-five against the front-four. If they do, the Packers like their matchups on the outside, spreading them out… I really think that’s what this game comes down to.”

Tags:
Posted in Niner Talk | 50 Comments »

50 Responses to “Niner Talk: 49ers-Packers NFC Playoffs”

1. By Sandi on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

LETS GO NINERS!

2. By Rich De Martini on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

We need every player to step up and thr backups to fill in and give the starters a rest because it is going to have to be an all out effort on every play to get to Q back Rodgers he is going to be tough on us heis smart,experiensed and wants to make sure the Niners know that they should have drafted him.So lets us all hope we do not turn the ball over because it is going to be a close game…..GO NINERS

3. By 49erRay on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

I looking forward to a great game. Go NINERS!!!! Let’s bring home a W…..

4. By tony hallerman on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

i am backing up the 49ers to come with a win go 49ers come with this win

5. By travis gaffney on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

thanks frank for everything love you man

6. By Aaron Jordan on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

This Game sends a chill up my spine when these 2 teams meet up! especially in the playoffs. These year iam especially confident 49ers will prevail! We beat them in week 1 and we beat the best offense in recent memory in the patriots.GO 49ers.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. By Buzz Clifford?arthur.clifford29@yahoo.com on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

GO NINERS!

8. By ben on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

The game will be a great game!It will not be close.We are going to blow the Packers away!!

9. By alex campbell on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

THE KEY TO THIS GAME IS THE TEAM UTILIZING THE ADVANTAGE OF HAVING TWO AMAZING QUARTERBACKS CAUSING CONFUSION WITH THE OTHER TEAMS IS IMPORTANT AND THIS WOULD DO IT…

10. By crabber59 on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply

This just in the “Swami Sez” 49ers-27 Packers-23, also my “Seahawks-23 Falcons 20. Looks like hawks vs. niners for a trip to the SB

11. By mnarcherviasfca on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

livin in mn now packerbackers talkin trash me in there face GO NINERS eddie d hof yeah about time

12. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Definitely starting to get amped-up the morning of which hopes to be a great game…in 49er history!!!

Definitely need a big dose of Frank tonight…early and often. When he gets his 20 touches we win!! Some new play calling wrinkles and more options will keep GB’s defense on their heals.

Packers were forced to game plan for Justin…The week off definitely helped as last week he could not have played. Need to move Aldon around a little more and keep Rogers contained!!

Go get em 9ers!!!!!!!!!!!

13. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Sorry Crabber…Seachickens will NOT make it past Atlanta!! 9ers traveling to Atlanta next week!!

14. By Julio Morales on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. By ogre on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

we shall see~

16. By polo on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

go get it

17. By bobcat2u on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Let’s go Niners. You were one step away last season. It’s time to bring back the glory we once relished. Remeber those days when we owned the Super Dome ? Well, it’s time to take back our building in New Orleans. 9ers4ever.

18. By GSmith on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Go niners we went hard all season don’t stop now!!!!!

19. By GREMLOK on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

SHUT DOWN GREENBAYS RUN AN MAWL AARON ROGER.. MAKE THEM ONE DEMENSIONAL AN MAKE PLAYS DOWN THE FIELD.. AN ITS OUR GAME.. SUPER BOWL BOWND

20. By longtime 49er on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

well i think it will be a good game in the second half then we will break it open . Go niners

21. By JLC on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Here we go niners here we go…………….

22. By GoPackGo on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Poachers 30, Niners 20. Put a fork initial. GO OACK GO

23. By Cribbage on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Pack wins by 10. CK forced to stay in the pocket with Crabber doubled. Pack rushes for 100+ and Aaron makes the Niner fans cry. GoPackGo!!!!,

24. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

LOL…Cheeseheads!!! Your brain has turned to “curd” ROFL

25. By Peter OConnor on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Goooooooooooooooooo Niners

26. By joe cavender on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

ive been a big 49ers fan for many years.we have to have a big running game and our defense needs to put preasure on rodgers or he will beat you.

27. By phatalerror on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Colin Kaepernick gets two thumbs up from me for this game. It wasn’t flawless, but his upside today heavily outweighed his downside. He broke some significant NFL Records with his play, and he put together solid drives. He did the little things. He was everything you’d want from a quarterback.

Beyond the “wasn’t flawless” statement, you’ll get no more hedging from me on this as far as this game goes.

I’d really like to see him do it again.

28. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Phalacio…alll I can say is F U C K you…you dumb a$$…please go to another site!!!

29. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

30. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Wish I could have been in your seat 49er”D”

Sorry for the language, but Phatal…you are so condensending as h e l l.

31. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

I am sorry…you are so insincere…you are pathetic!

32. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Again…sorry for the language…my bad!!!!

33. By phatalerror on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

“Now you can say I didn’t say anything negative…well you did trying to take away from what Kaep did!!”

Excuse me, but why are you complaining? I was critical over Kaepernick’s short-comings, and I was approving over Kaepernick’s successes. What’s condescending or insincere about that?

If I said nothing, you would accuse me of not being around after I was somehow ‘proved wrong’. (Was I proved wrong about anything?)

So with you unreasonable people here, there’s no pleasing you.

But the important thing is, I was here before the game, and I was here after the game. We’ll debate the minutia later this week.

34. By Jeff Morrison on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Total dominance tonight in big plays. Plays 10-20 yards: GB 3, SF 6; Plays 20 or more yards: GB 3, SF 6

35. By ace on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

kaep playing hide and seek with the ball, you could see the green bay defenders talking on the the side line after he burned them like he hide that ball and ran and before green bay defenders realize he has the ball he’s past all of them,lol,hmm if he can do that regularly, its funny to me that an option read play works that well in the nfl awesome exicution

36. By Jeff Morrison on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Correction to above: Plays 10-20 yards: GB 7, SF 15;
    Plays 20 or more yards: GB 3, SF 6

37. By ace on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

second half shutdown defense i love you

38. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Sorry…when someone doesn’t get it…there is nothing else I can say. I do not want to bully…I already used language I should not have!! LOL

39. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Yes, you have been proved wrong about everything!!!!

40. By phatalerror on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

“Yes, you have been proved wrong about everything!!!!”

What?

41. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Phatalerror…yes, you have!!

42. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

All I have heard as far as stats go as how many pts. more the 9ers score…how many 3rd down plays that are turned into 1st downs…No Brag, Just Fact!

43. By Hermie on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

Phatalerror???????? No, I dont’ think so!!

44. By tanglung on Jan 12, 2013 | Reply

49ERS……………..

45. By Ninerman on Jan 13, 2013 | Reply

46. By ogre on Jan 13, 2013 | Reply

All Kudos bestowed to Colin. The entire 49er team; basically all 3 phases. Well done and I truly hope that we continue. This was the game that displayed what JH knew Colin can do. As that potential developes Colin’s game should continue to amaze! As far as Alex; he will find another team and I hope he is very successful. Hope Justin came out OK. Defense did it! Special Teams set it up. If this keeps up (hope it does) ain’t no stopping us. Go Niners!

47. By catalinadelbosque on Jan 13, 2013 | Reply

I know it’s a bit late and now that the Broncos are out, 49ers are my next team! Please have a quick look at my Brit-Girl experience of the Cardinals game : http://britgirlfirstandten.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/cardinals-at-49ers-top-5-moments/

48. By phatalerror on Jan 13, 2013 | Reply

“What are all the alex smith lovers saying now. They only kept alex to buy time for COLIN KAEPERNICK”

Colin hasn’t had a performance like this two games in a row in his career.

He had a great game last night. However, the last time all of the Alex-bashers jumped into this forum to talk trash, Kaepernick came in the following week and put up a stinker, and then they slunk back in quietly over the following weeks. I of course am hoping he can have at least two games like that in a row, because it’s now totally clear that Harbaugh has moved on without Alex Smith. I guess that’s “business”.

Fact: Between 2011 and 2012, the 49ers’ QB2 outperformed most QB1’s in the league. Colin Kaepernick has led the same team to victory. You cannot say Kaepernick *is* a better quarterback. His still isn’t effective at varying his targets, and he is still staring down his primary receivers. I am however upgrading him to the status of ‘Exceedingly Better Version of Tim Tebow’, which is not intended as a knock, but rather a reference to his being everything a coach could want from a quarterback who hasn’t learned pocket skills in a league completely capable of imposing that restriction. The Packers’ roster was overmatched, and the Packers’ coaches outmaneuvered (you may be hearing Dom Capers rumors soon). This is only two games seperated from a game where Kaepernick was humiliated. I’m not sold.

After last night, most 49ers fans are happy the 49ers didn’t sign Peyton Manning during the off-season (which of course would be a back-tracking for Alex-haters everywhere). However, the glow of excitement over a record-setting performance will fade, and Kaepernick won’t be remembered any more favorably than Smith will be if Kaepernick doesn’t do the same thing in Atlanta at 12:00PM PST next Sunday.

49. By JParker on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

Phatalerror…………..Very few quarterbacks have the success Kap had in this game during their careers, but Kap has been doing things like this in college as if it were a common thing to do or expect when he was at the helm of UNR’s pistol offense. I am guessing that is why Harbaugh is embracing that offense and why we are seeing Kap succeed.

50. By tony hallerman on Jan 14, 2013 | Reply

well just 1 more game to reach the superbowl i thought the 9ers did a superb job with the packers there is no reason why they can’t pull it off with the falcon’s go 9ers what a awesome team and staff