• Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM PDT The Fiahtful Episode 1 "The Faithful" is a documentary series by 49ers Studios that is truly for the fans because it is the fans. Narrated by two-time Super Bowl champion Dwight Hicks, the show will take fans on journeys into the lives of the greatest 49ers stories that need to be told.

Morning Tailgate: Jan. 9

Posted by Taylor Price on January 9, 2013 – 10:36 AM

Patrick Willis’ potential role against the Green Bay Packers has already been discussed at great length this week. But to his credit, the six-time Pro Bowl linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers said he’s eager to carry out whatever responsibilities are asked of him from defensive coordinator Vic Fangio.

If the Packers elect to use four wide receivers at a time in Saturday night’s Divisional Playoff matchup, Willis could very well be on the sideline in the 49ers dime defense in favor of fellow Pro Bowl linebacker, NaVorro Bowman. San Francisco’s “Mike” linebacker, played by Bowman, covers the middle of the field in the 49ers dime defense.

However, the likelihood of the Packers throwing even more against the 49ers isn’t a guarantee. After all, Green Bay has evolved into more of a balanced offense ever since San Francisco opened up the 2012 regular season with a solid, 30-22 road victory at Lambeau Field. Furthermore, wide receiver Jordy Nelson was reportedly missing at Tuesday’s open portion of Green Bay’s practice. Nelson suffered a leg injury in Week 17 and later limped off the field late in Green Bay’s Wild Card win over Minnesota. Both teams will release the first injury reports of the week later today.

It’ll be interesting to see if the Packers test their improved running attack against the 49ers or utilize their numerous playmakers at the wide receiver position. Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com and Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee both examined the possibility of Willis being on the sideline in situational packages against Green Bay.

Regardless of the personnel Green Bay utilizes on Saturday, Willis will surely find ways to impact the game.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle discussed Joe Staley’s motivation for a rematch with Clay Matthews and the Packers.

Branch also shared the comments of newly signed Billy Cundiff, who is hopeful about his chances of kicking in Saturday’s game.

Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News looked at the quarterback matchup between Aaron Rodgers and Colin Kaepernick, who both grew up as fans of the 49ers.

Mike Sando of ESPN.com examined the production of tight end Vernon Davis throughout the 2012 regular season.

49ers.com examined Willis’ unselfish comments, shared Packers conference calls and looked at Kaepernick’s eagerness to make his postseason debut.

TV49’S CLIP OF THE DAY

#QuestforSix.

Tags: , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 94 Comments »

94 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Jan. 9”

1. By bow53 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

i’m not gonna lie here about how i feel about this coming game,i’m a bit tense but then again i should stay positive,i’m hoping that the defense will step up ,playlike theres no tomorrow for, one thing the cowboy (justin) is not gonna be a 100% but his presence is gonna iintemidate a lot of players fr.the opposing team,but i know in my heart that he’ll give everything he got in order to win, offense wise i hope they execute well on there plays, and who ever is kicking, god bless ‘em, cuz those field goals score is gonna be cretical on a playoff games, but one thing for sure is gonna be a slugfest, i hoping that the bye week is to our advantage and were playing home,just get ready who’s ever is going to the stick theres gunna be a lot of cheese around.. but then again in the words of 49erdefense in harbaugh we trust…count on that…..

2. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

thats more like it. dixon calling out the fans to make ‘a ‘shake, @ the ‘stick,

3. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

someone mentioned why there are always so many other teams fans at our home games, I will explain a reason albeit maybe a small reason as to why. there are people who are season ticket holders who dont live in the area or close enough to go to every home game. they sell those tickets to make a profit, I dont see how that is supporting ” our ” team but that is a matter for another day, but when you make those tickets available to the public other teams fans gobble them up. case in point, the 2 rows behind me the guy moved the oregon 7-8 years ago but kept his season ticket, he sells every game day ticket!!!! and all around the south end zone upper box rows its the same story, they are great seats mind you but really? holding onto a season ticket that you have no intention of using is keeping some other fan who lives around here from being able to experiance the faithful on gameday, there have been tons of the other teams fans behind me all year. someone even posted on here that he lives on the est coast but still owns his season ticket, how many games does he go to? how many times has his tickets been sold to another teams fans? how does not living near the stadium make you less of a fan? ,,,,see what I mean?.

4. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

its a small point but straight to the heart it cuts. it bugs me big time knowing that the dude behind me puts his tickets on stub for a profit and doesnt even care if another teams fan buys them. its our house, give those tickets to a 49er fan who will use them.,,,

5. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

and yes, I know someone who does the very thing im rageing about, but he will be there on saturday, he uses the tickets if they make the playoffs, how more fair weather can you get then that? he is always boasting about how much he makes on his ticket sales…..and he has been doing that since 1997, selling his seats to the highest bidder on what ever site he uses, showing up only for really big games and his seats ALWAYS seem to be used by the other teams fans.

6. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

yes bow53, we all must ” TRUST IN HARBAUGH ” this game, for no stat now that can be posted will effect the outcome. stats are mis-leading, argumenative, and quite useless. according to the nfl media, statistically we are going to lose to the packers, and you know what, statistically, they are better in alot of offensive catergories, I guess we shouldnt even play the game then right? I mean, the stats say we cant win and stats are always the best way to determine the outcome of a players and teams potenial and ability to win games right?, a bit brash but I think you see my point, you have to play the game, stats be dammned. IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST SF 49ERS DEFENSE 2012

7. By bow53 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

one thing about the packer fan, there waiting list to be a t. holder is about 15 to 20 years and 10 if ur lucky, they expanded there stadium for about 3 thousand seats , guest what? gone on 60 minutes thats why some fan travel to see them……just get ready niner nation, its gonna be one hell of a game…..

8. By mfkram64 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

i agree bow53..slugfeast…they have alot of weapons and i think when the niners r in a 4th and mangable go for it inside the packers 35…cuz kicking fg’s won’t beat the packers..need td’s….and a fg is hard to come by lately…but we stand behind the team and give them all good vibes…..special teams to me is going to be a huge part in this game..they have cobb back and he is good..so the niners have to be ready and it’s time someone step up on punt returns for the niners…field positon field postion…..all i can say….

9. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Im listening to the live press conference right now and have heaard from coach harb’s, frank gore, and am now waiting on goldson to take the podium

10. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

the more I hear the more I want sat. to be here already. ball security is paramount this game. I have been to every single home playoff loss to the packers and turn-overs have always been the deciding factor, as like with any other playoff game, but when your there watching it happen its almost heart breaking. I wann se frank gore pound the ball and get 125 trds rushing with 1 td,, and lamichael james get 80 rushing yrds,,keep the ball away from rodgers with run game ball control and work the clock, we score 28- 31 points we should win with that formula. WE NEED OUR DEFENSE TO RETURN TO 2011 FORM. CARLOS RODGERS, DASHON GOLDSON AND DONTE WHITNER NEED TO TAKE THE BALL AWAY….wow,, im already yelling at the tv

11. By johninchina on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

It would be nice to see Frank Gore have a big day; but that means “big” blocking up front and from our FB Bruce Miller. Can’t wait to see the game plan in execution for our offense. Using LaMichael James in ways not seen yet; so many options, wouldn’t you love to be OC for our Niners? Defense, play inspired, play together as one, and play with fire!!! Excellence, energy and endurance . . . it will be a brawl but it’s a game too . . . so enjoy and live in the moment! Niners by 10 . . .

12. By 11yearswithalex on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

just like niners like it…. underdogs and being told they lose ……..i do expect some hard hitting ….we need to curb the o-line penalties that we had dureing the season against the rams that cost us games …..i am looking for some new stuff that coach has been holding back ….and yes Lamichael is really fun to watch all props to gore of course but if james can get some wide runs and then throw the pistol at em they wont know what to do just like the bears ……..gooo niners show em who is king

13. By dave g. on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

NINERS! Its great to see people discuss the entire team and man it feels good to see our NINERS where they at and the ooportunity ahead of them. I hope the blogs continue in this way and people can finally accept all our players and stop going on about continuing a QB controversy. PLEASE STOP…we better than that. Appreciate where we at AS A TEAM & back up KAP!

NINERS!!!!!!

14. By Belisario Flores on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Es un gran jugador en su posición mis respetos a ese gran atleta de alto rendimiento y mis mas sinceros deseos para que ganen el Súper Bowl

15. By mfkram64 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

they need good front four pressure cuz with all their weapons they need to keep rest of the guys in coverage….i expect the d to hold their own ..i said earlier special teams what i didn’t say is kicking that ball out of end zone on kickoffs to me thats huge no chance of a return…give rogers a long field even on punts…short field he’ll kill us…keep them far away….get fired up…it’s only 2 days away……cowboy looks ready to roll… also is rested…got fresh legs baby! get those 9ers fired up to melt some cheese!!!!!

16. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Once again… I challenge you to find a single post in which I or phatal or anyone has said something disparaging against Kap. You ask for us (as a fan base) to support ALL our players. That is what we have done.

17. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

blah blah blah, and yet he still wont let it go…loser

18. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

and yet you still wont quit with the name calling… like my children. What am I not letting go of? I was accused of not supporting my team. Not true. I simply stated as much.

19. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

was I talking to you temper? did I name you? no. in fact I was talking about 11years with no brain,,,

20. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

but since you piped up, no, you cant find a disparaging post youve made about kap, in fact in going back and looking at things you only started posting on here in late november,,,,,which makes you a jumper on the phatalblahblahblah band wagon,,,

21. By SHIP on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Temper11: You remind me of my ex-wife. Blah blah blah…never let sh!t go. You right and everyone else is wrong. Happy now? Now will you please go paint your nails and buy a new outfit and feel good about yourself….

22. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

you seem a bit insecure, I doubt you really have children, do you have a stat that shows you have actually had sex?,,,because if you cant produce stats and numbers to prove it then it certainly must not be true, for that has been yours and phatalblahblah’s arguments for alex

23. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

whats up ship? I know your ready for saturday,,,

24. By SHIP on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

You know it 49erdefense2012! This is what its all about. RED & GOLD!

25. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Hilarious. you people are a joke. Comments about my sexuality, supposed lack of a sex life, apparent insecurity, fantasy wife and children. I thought you wanted to talk about the 49ers. Dave G, you haven’t addressed 11 in days… we just spent all day yesterday arguing about my apparent lack of support for Kap. So to say you weren’t referring to me in your post is either a lie, or bad writing for not then naming who you were speaking of. At any rate, it doesn’t matter as the lot of you are so pathetic with your insults as to be pitied. School bully’s that grew up, got fat and now can only attempt to bully on blogs.

26. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

49ersdefence, I very rarely use stats in my post. I don’t take the time to dig them up, but I’m not afraid of them, as you are when someone does take the time. They are a tool, a form of measurement. they don’t tell the whole story but they are a means of corroboration to a point. Good grief, is there an adult 49ers blog that I can join?

27. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

49ersdefence2012, I’m not sure what you are looking at, but I’ve been on this blog long before late November. I think we had to change our handle because of the new system or something. I think I was just “Temper” before. But once again I’ll say it… you don’t hold any kind of grand poo-ba seniority based on the length of time you’ve been posting. As much as you want to claim some kind of “king of the blog” title, you’re not… you’ll have to live out that fantasy in some other way.

28. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

its 49ersdefense, get it right, or didnt they teach you how to spell in grade school

29. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

and now all you can do is try and save face and say that you dont use stats? you have been clinging on to every stat that phatal has posted dont try and deny, and no you havent been posting on here, I went back and looked all the way to september and there and been nothing temper or temper 11 so now what I did my research and your a proven liar, just like 9erdog,,,

30. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

that’s it… focus on the meaningless trifling detail… very impressive. By the way, “didn’t” needs and apostrophe.

31. By 49ersDaBest on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Convert on 3rd downs, and scoring touchdowns in the red zone.

32. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

temper the f,a,g,g,o,t

33. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

you are such a fake

34. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

whatever dude… ask KDB who I haven’t seen on here in a while (and I can’t say that I blame him). I don’t need to prove anything to you. I don’t cling to Phatal’s stats, I applaud him for submitting well reasoned and comprehensive posts. He certainly devotes more time and energy into his posts than anyone else I’ve seen on here. Most of you just come up with clever alter-names to those you don’t agree with like 11yearswithnobrain or Phatalblahblah. Childish.

35. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

a fake what?

36. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I mean seriously, you just cant talk about anything but oh alex got the shaft, everyone agreed with you and phatl weeks ago but your so blindly driven by proving that stats make you right about alex that you missed the entire reason why people stopped talking to you in a polite manner, no one likes a know it all more so when they only pay attention to the thjings only they think are right

37. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

f,a,g,g,o,t? What are you British?… you claim to go to all the games, I’m not even convinced you live in the country.

38. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

dont need to prove a thing to me I know what kind of a fan you are, you know d,a,m,n well that in 2009 you were calling for alexs head

39. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

go suck your mothers p,e,n,i,s

40. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

you obviously enjoying sucking on phatals

41. By SHIP on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Temper sounds in love with Phatalblahblah…dude you that impressed with a dude that copy and pasted from different sites? Ask him out to dinner and call it a day then.

42. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

and your so easily goaded into exchanges that Im pretty sure your an idiot

43. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

all I have to do is poke you and you get all defensive,,,L O L ,,,CLOWININ’

44. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

We haven’t talked about Alex in a while, I just keep responding your incessant personal attacks. I’ve said a million times, I’m not interested in proving that I’m right about anything… I’m giving my OPINION. Why that makes you so freaking angry is baffling to me. I only pipe up about Alex when someone says something like, “oh, our offense is so much more dynamic now than it was with Alex.” That’s the only time I feel the need to step in and disagree… I’d be happy to move on to other topics, but I will not shy away from a comment like that. If you want to quite with the personal attacks and talk 49ers, I’ll be happy to oblige.

45. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

amen ship, dude is all over bleacher report posting the same old tired $hit

46. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

Dave G… this is who you want to throw in with? You’re better than this.

47. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

phatal wont move on from the alex should be ther starter, even after efveryone has asked to move on to other subjects, he persists, it gets ANNOYING,,and when you keep egging him on agreeing with everything he posts it makes you a mark, jus sayin’, look at the blog today everyone talking about sat. untill you nistook my post towards 11 as towards you, I didnt name him because he should know by now, dude said last week that we werent going to win anything, then see his post

48. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

this blog site is lagging way behind my typing I know I dont spell as bad as I point it out to others,,,L O L ,,,

49. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

right… and I specifically was trying not to be confrontational in that post. All I said was that I do indeed, and have always supported Kap. That’s it. Wasn’t trying to be controversial… wasn’t trying to wreck the Koom-by-ya… that was going on. I thought you took a shot at me, so I responded.

50. By DYENNY on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

YOU ALL ARE NEW UNLESS YOUVE CHANGED YOUR NAMES. DAVE G. I REMEMBER YOU . THE BAND WAGON JUMPERS REMEMBER THE ALL CAP SPELLING YENNY

51. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

94541, 30 MINS FROM ‘THE STICK BABY

52. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

YES DYENNY, YOU AND I WERE CALLING OUT DRAFT PICKS YOU NAILED LAMICHAEL JAMES IN THE EXACT PLACE HE WAS DRAFTED

53. By DYENNY on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

ILL SAY IT LIKE THIS ./ IF WE HAD JUSTIN ./ MANNINGHAM DAM WHAT A LOSS./ KYNDLE HUNTER . WE WOULD BE WELL RIGHT WHERE WE ARE NOW LOL TO ALL YOU NON BELIEVERS WE ARE GOING TO PUT THIS D FENCE AND OUR OFFENSE THIS IS WHAT MOSS AND V. DAVIS IS FOR . / CRAB IS IN A ZONE MY 34 / 17 SCORE WILL BE TR

54. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

You’ve got a potty mouth 49ersdefense2012, but you’ve got one hell of a memory.

55. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I have a truckers mouth, but hey, Im a trucker,,and yes I do have one h,e,l,l, of a memory, much to the chagrin of my wife

56. By temper11 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

well… can’t say it’s been real fun, but my workday is done. Going home to my non-wife and non-children so I can dress up in drag (because apparently I’m a f,a,g,g,o,t) and call up my shrink to try and hammer out my insecurities. Looking forward to sparing with all of you again tomorrow. Go Niners!

57. By DYENNY on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

I love it . ME AND YOU WERE THE ONLY ONES WHER WE .NAILED THE DRAFT PICKS. AND I HOPE WE CAN DO HOMEWORK LIKE TRUE FANS INSTEAD OF GUYS OR GIRLS WITH 2 TEAMS .LOL. . MAN IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE MANNINGHAM / HUNTER AND JUSTIN. BUT YOU ILL CALL THAT WALKER DAVIS AND MOSS TO KEEP US IN IT . only because our running game will have 140 YARDS .AND 2 T.D.’S . AT HALF. I HAVE PREDICTED 34- 17 NINER NATION .

58. By DYENNY on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

GO NINERS THIS IS NUMBER 6 . I WILL BE SCREAMING VICTORY WE HAVE THE BEST TEAM IN N.F.L./////WHEN WE CAN ALL TALK AT SUPER BOWL AFTER SHOW YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

59. By DYENNY on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

HEY AND ON THIS NOT ENOUGH OF THE CAPS LOCK B.S. IF YOU WERE AT A GAME WOULDNT YOU YELL EVERYONE SHOULD ALWAYS CAP THE LITTLE GUY WHO SAID TEXT CAP LOCKS WAS YELLING WASNT A YELLING AT THE T.V. THROWING FOOTBALL IN THE FLOOR REAL FAN. LAST TIME I TALK ABOUT THIS FOOTBALL IS OUR REAL ./RELEASE/ RAGE/ FAN? WHICH STANDS FOR FANATIC.

60. By phatalerror on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

“I wann se frank gore pound the ball and get 125 trds rushing with 1 td,, and lamichael james get 80 rushing yrds”

You want to see it, but you most likely won’t see it.

At 4.7 yards per carry on the season, Gore will have to carry the ball approximately 27 times, and James will have to carry the ball around 17 more times. The 49ers carried the ball 44 times against the Jets in week 4, and they rushed for a total of 245 yards. Of course, that was Mark Sanchez’ Jets, who put up a bagel for the final score. The statistical improbability of the 49ers rushing 44 times for 245 yards is very high because the Packers on a bad day this year were superior to the Jets at their best.

Where do you come up with random projections like this? Do realize that the 49ers haven’t cracked the 200 total yards rushing mark since Alex Smith was quarterbacking? Do you realize that Gore hasn’t had more than 23 carries in a game this season? Do you realize that James hasn’t had more than 8 carries in a game, nor has he totaled 50 or more yards?

And as for the Packers’ opponents this year, they’ve never allowed any team to rush more than 37 times in a game. The 49ers rushed 32 times against them in week 1. On average, the Packers held opponents’ offenses to only 26 carries per game. The Packers haven’t given up a 200+ yards rushing performance until now.

Colin Kaepernick will have to be awesome on Saturday if the 49ers are going to have a chance to sustain drives long enough to rack up 40+ carries. Five turnovers from the Packers wouldn’t hurt, either.

I’m just saying.

61. By DYENNY on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

WANT EVERYONE TO CALL DRAFT WITH THE CHAMP THIS YEAR

62. By DYENNY on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

PHATA./// YOU NEED TO ARGUE WITH SOMEONE WHO DOESNT KNOW YOUR NOT A 49ER FAN . I CAN BE POLITE AND SAY I CANT TELL YOU THAT WE WILL HAVE 200 YARDS RUSHING.LOL. AND CAP MIGHT HAVE 40 HIMSELF . BUT WATCH A LIFE LONG 49ER FAN TELL YOU WE WILL BEAT THEM AND BY A LARGE MARGIN. OUR DEFENSE ILL REFUSE TO LOSE THIS GAME.

63. By DYENNY on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

GORE AND JAMES 200 YARDS 2 TOUCHDOWNS./ 2 FIELD GOALS./ I TOUCHDOWN BY CRABTREE./ ONE RUSHING TOUCHDOWN BY KAP.

64. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

where do you come up with them d,i,c,k,w,a,d,? it aint no different than your GUESSES,,YOU ARE ONLY PREDICTING,,,change back to temper, you post shorter comments when your logged in as him

65. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 9, 2013 | Reply

unless they rip off some big chunk yardage,,,something your numbers cant determine, you have to believe they will happen but since your not a fan of the 49ers I guess that type of thinking escapes your self absorbed brain

66. By Ching on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

You eva have garbage truck behind restaraunt wake you up at 3am? Ching dont like this! Hey Mista NINERDEFENSE2012, why you so grouchy? What happen, garbage truck wake you up?

67. By dave g. on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Phatalerror: Please stop…its really tired to hear your constant whining and then after another novel finish with the most annoying line of all: “Just Saying”.

68. By phatalerror on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

“unless they rip off some big chunk yardage,,,something your numbers cant determine”

The Packers’ defense has allowed 63 20+ yards plays during the regular season and were ranked 18th in the league in giving up such plays. They ranked significantly better in the 40+ yards category, tied for 11th in the league, giving up only 9 all season.

Here it comes…

I’m just saying.

Go 49ers.

69. By phatalerror on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

One more:

When the 49ers played against the Packers earlier this year, the Packers’ defense gave up 5 20+ yard plays to Alex Smith’s offense (3 completions and 2 rushes), a better-than-average performance against the Packers’ defense.

The 49ers’ rushing game has only had 17 rushes go for 20+ yards during the entire season.

70. By 49ersdefense2012 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

while watching inside the nfl last night the cameras showed flappy mouth richard sherman once again acting like a punk kid and talking $hit to the fans as they were walking out of rfk stadium, there is nothing professional about the dude. as a coach of pee wee football I tell my kids to win with respect as well as lose with it. so, in the middle of shermans childish behavior redskins tackle trent williams walked over and told sherman yo’ man let up already, y’all won, sherman then turned his trash talking mouth on williams, who asked c’mon dude stop already, sherman kept up the verbal jarring and williams said, dude, you better stop, sherman replied with what you gunna do about it, williams then said, punch you in your $hit talking mouth, sherman then said, go ahead and do it boy, and then,, BOOM,,,williams delivered a straight right open palmed SMACK right to the chops of shermans $hit talking mouth,,,loved every minute of it

71. By mfkram64 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

blahblahblahblah…..do u think the packers or packer fans care rogers is their leading rusher some games? their rushing sucks…they went 15-1 last year…this year they r the hottest team with denver…gore hasn’t got as many yards and kap has picked up where hunter is missed…watch much football lately? wilson runs all over and keeps drives alive as did griffin and luck…rogers has made it an art for the packers..so give it up..they beat the packers 17 weeks ago..by the way akers hit 3 fg’s for your boy alex that day…this is the here and NOW! 5/20yds@78(74)<12~67@4%=F'IN SHI$! like i said before 9ers r 1-4 in playoffs against packers so i guess they should just stay home and go to champ. game…14pts underdogs patriots beat rams in 2000…tell giants 07 17 pt dogs beat patriots…what do the numbers mean?

72. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

yes, if they rip off some big chunk yardage, something you have to believe in, but since you cant come up with something that is your own, always having to rely on numbers to determine what you are going to say, dont you have the ability to form an opinion of your own? without having to have someone else do your thinking for you? you seem unable or unwilling to post a comment that doesnt include a bunch of numbers that you had to search for. and,furthermore, you call me blog bully and others as well, but what do you do? you CONSTANTLY, degrade, put down, and nitpick other peoples comments that arent even directed at you. there is no difference between the 2 of us with your blog bully label aside from my language. look back at your posts phatal, ANYTIME some posts how they feel about what may happen saturday, you just HAVE to post some numbers trying to prove how wrong someone is for posting how they feel or wish for to happen on saturday,,,ITS NO F,U,C,K,I,N,G WONDER MYSELF AND MANY OTHERS CONSTANTLY ATTACK YOU VERBALLY,,,BLOG BULLY INDEED,,, TRY LOOKING IN THE MIRROR,,, YOU ARE NO DIFFERENT,,,

73. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

I posted something similar to that mfkram just the other day, but yup since the numbers dont favor the 49er s at all, how come phatal doesnt just come out and say the 49rers are going to lose? I mean with his relying on numbers to do his talking for him isnt he saying that the 49ers dont have a chance against the packers, I mean even if alex WAS the qb, with the numbers that phatal has posted and the numbers stacking up against the 49ers the 49ers wouldnt have a chance to beat the packers at all, with alex throwing the ball, isnt that right phatal? , so since you believe your right, and your numbers say that the 49ers cant win, so why dont you just come out and say it?,, I am willing to be you wont do that, dont want people to finally see that your not a fan of the 49ers ,,,right??

74. By lady 49er on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

while I dont care for your language 49erdefense, I myself have thought the very same thing about the person who calls themselves phatalerror, I mean, how can you call yourself a fan with all the negative type of numbers posting being done by that person? a 49er fan posts that they want big games from our rb’s and then a comment is posted about well your not going to see it happen? who are they to try and trample on someones hopes for a great game outcome?. do you even stop to think that maybe there is a young kid posting his hopes for saturdays games? and who are you to try and bring everyone down or sway someone from thinking we will have a big game to oh wow look at those numbers against us. like I said, I dont care for the language, but I just as much dont care for continual attempts to try and lessen anything that has been done, what is being done, and what might be done. I know im new to posting here but I have throughout the year have read all the morning tailgates,,,go 49ers

75. By mfkram64 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

blahblahblah…move on! your like the guy who gets dumped! the girl gets a new guy and has moved on weather he is better or not she doesn’t care..she has moved on! so LET IT GO ALREADY! coach made a move and his gut feeling is kap. is his guy…i’m sure he looked at alex’s numbers…but he went with what some people have and that is a so called GUT FEEELING! people like u don’t go against the odds…if 4 of 5 do this or that u go with the %’s…u r not a risk taker…sometimes in this game u have to be…it’s not all numbers and x’s an o’s..it’s called EMOTIONS! something numbers don’t have!

76. By temper11 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

welcome lady 49er. Good luck.

77. By mfkram64 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

by the way phatalblahbllahblah…this post was on a roll with excitment about sat.’s game and getting pumped up! u come along and throw in the ultimate BUZZKILLINGTON OF EM ALL! u r not a real FORTY NINER FAN! take that to your adding machine…

78. By phatalerror on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

“how come phatal doesnt just come out and say the 49rers are going to lose?”

Because I don’t necessarily believe they will lose. However, the trends do suggest that if the 49ers win, it won’t be on the back of their running game.

Call me a buzzkill, call me pessimistic. I’m just saying there is a distinct chasm between what some fans believe the 49ers are capable of and what the 49ers are actually capable of. My being a fan of the 49ers doesn’t blind me to their flaws. However, you clearly are blind. Wishing that Ted Ginn performs like a top NFL receiver this weekend won’t make it happen. There is about as much chance for the 49ers running game to break 200 yards unless the Packers play their worst game of the year and Kaepernick plays his best game of the year.

Go 49ers.

79. By dave g. on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Lady 49er & Mfkram64: You are absolutely right. Phatablahblah is like Debbie Downer, then he follows up with the most annoying phrase recently: “I’m Just Saying” like it means something.

80. By dave g. on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

And he has to “copy and paste” to reference what he is responding to like we idiots. And Temper, don’t even try…you know you been all over Plahtablahblahs jock. NINERS!!!!!!

81. By dave g. on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Phatablahblah: I know you think you intellectually superior than us. I can tell your type. You are like that guy who spends a lot of time with his counter arguments on a blog like you think you a defense lawyer but you more like Patton Oswalt from the movie the Big Fan but are the last to recognize it. You probably do a fist pump by yourself like you done told us! HAHAHAHA!

82. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

I now understand phatalerror. his way of thinking is to expect the worst, and when the 49ers do better than what he was expecting, he can celebrate with the rest of us. ,,,BUT,,,if they lose, and dont have ” statistically ” a good game, or if their numbers on offense resemble in any way any stat he has posted, he will be able to say ” see, I told you all so..,,,,,so I now understand his way of thinking,,dont really agree with it, but whatever gets you through the day, I guess..

83. By dave g. on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Phatablahblah: We all know our team is not perfect. For Gods sake who is? You just want to debate because you want to think you are superior. Rooting for a team is to throw all that aside and just root for them with hope & wishing we play above ourselves. Thats the fun and enjoyment of rooting for our team. You must be a miserable person to keep feeling this need try to school us on reality like we living in the clouds. Do you really think we are stupid. We rooting for our team to play above itself and to slap you with reality…you have no control over any of it and neither do us but teh difference is we know that and just want to enjoy rooting for our team and hope we win 100 -0 regardless of whats possible. A miserable person like you will never get that.

84. By dave g. on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

aka Phatablahblahblah

85. By temper11 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Sorry all, I would love to just join in on the public stoning of Phatal, but I actually like his posts. I think the stats are interesting. It doesn’t mean that I don’t also hope Frank breaks it for 200 yards and Kap throws for 4 TDs… I don’t see how he is being negative. He’s a numbers guy. He’s just stating previous fact. Don’t see anything wrong with that. And he does it without calling anyone derogatory names.

86. By temper11 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Derogatory names like those that I’m sure will be thrown at me any second now…..

87. By temper11 on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Has anyone else noticed that the board has suddenly stopped eating their posts? Suddenly everything is going through with with no problem. And, I’ve probably just jinxed it….

88. By ogre on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Temper11~ seems that editing has loosened up. Things got constipated with 11 years & family. Ray-Ray isn’t allowed to yell in the house; usually outside. And yes it is a proven fact that ranting and raving, cursing, etc. are signs of an inferiority complex. seek help. NOW FOOTBALL~ GO NINERS

89. By phatalerror on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

“Rooting for a team is to throw all that aside and just root for them with hope & wishing we play above ourselves.”

I thought you were a 49ers fan, not a Browns fan. Browns fans are the ones that must hope beyond hope that their team will somehow not place last in their division.

The 49ers are of course better than that. In fact, they were considered a Super Bowl favorite prior to week one and after week one. The 49ers have had ups and downs since then (like any NFL franchise in a sixteen game regular season). With that acknowledged, the 49ers have looked like the pre-week 17 Giants of 2011: Capable of tremendous wins, and vulnerable to the most undignified of defeats.

Can the 49ers win this weekend? Absolutely. Even with Justin Smi starting and Billy Akers kicking. Even with the no-longer top-ranked rushing game and an inconsistently explosive offense.

But which incarnation of the 49ers looked more Super Bowl ready? Which one looked more like the 49ers from the eighties and early-nineties that continued year-to-year as a shoe-in for the playoffs? Which incarnation looked balanced in all three phases of the game? Certainly, the version of the 49ers that looked like *those* 49ers needed only to play at their customary level to beat most playoff opponents into the turf. The 49ers are literally one starter away from looking like *those* 49ers, and not *these* 49ers. *These* 49ers look like they do need to play above themselves. That shouldn’t be necessary.

I’ve already bought my bag of chips, and dad’s got an I.P.A. waiting in the refrigerator for me. The call out for a delivery pizza will complete pre-game preparations. We’ll watch the game together, yell at the TV over bad calls, and high-five on touchdowns scored by the 49ers. There will be no “what ifs” if the 49ers can win this weekend. And the next.

And, yes, I will be wishing for the 49ers to play above themselves. Because, indeed, they will have to. I’m also enough of a fan to know that it shouldn’t be like that. There are no easy games in the NFL, but I didn’t go into the Saints or Giants games last year with this degree of foreboding.

90. By SHIP on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Is this Phatalerror for real? The guy cracks me up. Whats with all the copying quotes dude? The funniest thing is you really think you smart but you really just want to argue every point and disect every word like a biochemist investigating on a cellular level. Your arguments are all based on somehow thinking you superior. Extract the stick out of your @ss and just take rooting for your team as just that. I suppose you will copy “extract the stick out of your @ss” next and have an argumentive breakdown on that. HAHAHHAHAHA. I am sure you popular with the ladies. LOL

91. By dave g. on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

In Phatablahblahs relentless pursuit to feel superior he has made one fatal mistake which is quite common with those who are full of feces. HE HAS CONTRADICTED HIMSELF AN INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF TIMES THROUGHOUT ALL HIM RAMBLINGS. Thanks for the laughs Phatablablahblah.

92. By dave g. on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

I did not realize OGRE had a Phd to diagnosis an inferiority complex. Its a proven fact he says….you people kill me how you really are not saying anything but it helps you feel better about yourself. And I am sure it helps you to sleep better at night believing those proven facts in your mind! What a douche!! HA!

93. By phatalerror on Jan 10, 2013 | Reply

Point out just one contradiction within the scope of what I was discussing, and you win the thread.

94. By ogre on Jan 11, 2013 | Reply