• Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM PDT The Fiahtful Episode 1 "The Faithful" is a documentary series by 49ers Studios that is truly for the fans because it is the fans. Narrated by two-time Super Bowl champion Dwight Hicks, the show will take fans on journeys into the lives of the greatest 49ers stories that need to be told.

Morning Tailgate: Jan. 2

Posted by Alex Espinoza on January 2, 2013 – 11:18 AM

The New Year is here and the 49ers are already back at team headquarters getting ready for their Divisional Round matchup next week. Players were given Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off this week, but it hasn’t stopped some 49ers from working out at team headquarters on their own time.

Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group relayed comments from Jim Harbaugh’s appearance on KNBR Wednesday, when he said the 49ers are preparing to play in “three Super Bowls.” Harbaugh also touched on other topics like Justin Smith’s health and the Stanford victory in the Rose Bowl.

“Watching Stanford win the Rose Bowl on Tuesday also gave Harbaugh a thrill, and fondly recounted how he sat in some of those Stanford players’ living rooms while recruiting them in his days as the Cardinal’s coach,” Inman wrote.

The rest of today’s Morning Tailgate looks at the potential impact of newly-signed kicker Billy Cundiff and a look at 49ers front office members and assistant coaches who could be candidates to fill positions for other organizations.

Sports Illustrated put together a photo gallery recapping the top sporting events from 2012.

Pro Football Focus offered its 2012 All-Pro team and Patrick Willis headlines a group of 49ers to receive recognition.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee listed potential 49ers personnel who could be offered jobs with other teams.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com noted that 49ers Director of Player Personnel Tom Gamble could be a top candidate for vacant general manager positions across the league.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle wrote the kicker competition should be something to keep an eye on heading into next week’s contest.

Barrows analyzed the dynamic between Cundiff and Akers.

Branch looked ahead to the possibility of A.J. Jenkins contributing to the 49ers during their playoff run.

Barrows took questions from fans regarding the potential of turnover in the 49ers front office and coaching staff.

Branch recapped Harbaugh’s appearance on KNBR Wednesday.

TV49’s CLIP OF THE DAY

Ray Lewis’ pending retirement was welcomed by running backs around the league.

Tags: , , ,

40 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Jan. 2”

1. By Patrick Lehre on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I think LaMichael James meant to say, “I hope I do not have to get tackled by this man!” LaMichael, there’s still a pontential possibility for a Harbaugh Bowl!

2. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

here we are, a 1st round bye, a home playoff game, and a young,quickly improving qb running the offense. I believe that the biggest key to advancing to the super bowl is not wether or not kaepernick can do it, or if some wr other than crabtree can step up and start making plays,, I believe its the defense,,,if the defense can play like it did against the patriots right up untill we lost justin smith in that game,,,we can win it all,,,the defense shut down tom brady and crew completely,,,when we lost justin smith the patriots gave us all we could handle, but with the time to prepare and hopefully get justin back in some form, and time for rickey-jean to get some more reps,,,the defense can lead the way to the super bowl. we have seen this defense play lights out this season,,,where nothing seemed to work for the other team. that is the defense that needs to take the field for the next 3 games….bill walsh said it best,,” offense socres points, but defense’s win championships “

3. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

its funny, if arizona hires andy reid, you guys do realize that every coach in the nfc west, except for coach harbaugh, comes from the bill walsh tree.,,pete carroll, jeff fisher both are former defensive co-ordinators of the 49ers and were very good at it. andy reid learned just about everything he knows from mike holmgren, hands down the best offensive coordinator the 49ers ever had. I know we had mike shannahan as well, and he was pretty good too., but im getting off the subject, my point is this: we need to win the super bowl this year…this will be our best window of opportunity to win it for the next 3-4 years. I believe that the nfc west has become the toughest division in football and will only get tougher. I see every team in the west with a winning record next year, and it will be because of their respective defense’s

4. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

49ers vs arizona: 1st qtr total yrds: arz 128: sf 15,,,from the start of the 2nd qtr up untill 6:49 left in the 3rd qtr, arz gained only 10 total yards while the 49ers racked up 279, that is the kind of defense I know we can play and need to play to pave the way to new orleans. the offense will do what it do, but we need the defense to play like I have described above for 60 mins. do that, and will be hoisting the lombardi for the 6th time

5. By Larry Lawson on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I must have told a secret, because my comment wasn’t printed.

6. By Humble Gold on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Only if you told the Truth

7. By Niners82 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I don’t know how Kaepernick will do in the playoffs but let hope he keep doing what he’s been doing so far and with the defense help we will win games. That is the only reason I can see us in N.O. comes feb. GO Niners let go get that 6th Lambardi now.

8. By sevenrayz on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

If we can get Colin and Vernon on the same page we’ll have the best Offense in the playoffs. And Frank, take a few days and come back with fresh legs so we can run over the NFC!

9. By mfkram64 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

hey buzz don’t want to be a buzz kill but your last post they can’t play the vikes next round…hello! to me sighing cundiff is just to give akers a wake up call…dave g…so funny man i agree…if the niners don’t score on every drive it’s doom and gloom for some of these people…u forgot the qb has to be 100 for 100 lol! look at the vikes game it came down to a fg and quess what it got the niners a second seed thank u very much mr. walsh kicker for vikes….hey the vikes should of never let it get to a fg for the win pahtalablahblahblah……

10. By 805faithful on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Yes, We”re going to need our good D out there for the next three big games, the Niner Defence that showed up to the Packers/Bears/Saints/Patriots game. I don’t have much faith in our kickers,but let’s just hope that two negatives can make a positive. It’s time to get back to our BEAST mode and show the rest of the league that the NFC west is back and were the best.

11. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

with the extra time off, the o-line can get some good prep work in and we can run the ball down the throats of however we play. last year in the playoffs, iupati was unstoppable,a mauler, anthony davis killed it on traps and kick-outs, this line was drafted to RUN BLOCK, and thats what they do best, each guy was chosen because of his ability to crush it on run plays, staley, mich state.,run heavy offense,,,iupati,idaho,three back sets most of time, a run only type of offense,anthony davis,,rutgers,,yeah like I need to say anthing about those greg shiano teams when davis was there,,boone,ohio state, a pro set style of offense and heplayed tackle when he was there so naturally he’s killing it playing guard, and goodwin is a consumate pro.,POUND THE ROCK,,,AND THEN POUND IT SOME MORE,,LET JAMES FLY TO THE SIDE,,AND THEN UP THE MIDDLE WITH GORE !!!!! THROW TO THE OUTSIDE, TO CRABTREE AND MOSS,,A TD TO VERNON,,,CK7 WILL TOSS,,HARBAUGH TELLS G-RO,,THIS PLAY YOU WILL CALL,,AND WATCH OUR OPPONENTS,,,AS THEY ALL FALL,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,49ERS 2012 !!!!!!

12. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

should have spelled whoever not however we play at the start of my post above

13. By Buzz Clifford on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

It will be Brady vs. Mr.All round athlete. My money is on Kaep.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you in New Orleans. I really don’t know who’s allowed to play whom don’t understand that aspect of the game. I think it’s through the packers?????????????

14. By SHIP on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

I agree with the theory that Harbaugh really wants Akers and only signed Cundiff to help push Akers into a sense of fear to improve especially with the playoffs coming. I want us to do it with Akers because I believe he is better than Cundiff when they both at their best. He will snap out of it but he MUST DO IT BEFORE THE PLAYOFFS START. Akers hit a 63 yarder to tie the NFL record earlier this year. If it is physical & he can’t heal then we will have to make a change BUT if its in his head, then I believe he will snap out of it. HE HAS TO. Cundiff actually makes me more nervous for some reason. And I want to win it all with Akers because helped us out sooooo much last year! But at the end of the day, it is not about who you like or want, its about producing. These guys get paid big money to make FGs under 50 yards. Anything more is icing on the cake BUT you gotta make 50 yards or less!

15. By SHIP on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

We need Austin Rehkow, of Central Valley High School in Spokane Valley WA. He kicked a 67-yard field goal. We need to sign him right out of High School!

Look closely at the line of scrimmage of where he kicks!

16. By SHIP on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Buzz Clifford: The #1 seed plays the lowest remaining seed left out of this weekends 2 NFC matchups and the #2 seed plays the highest seeded team left out of this weekends 2 NFC matchups.

17. By SHIP on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Maybe this will help:

18. By SHIP on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Dave G…you kill me man! Thanks for setting people straight who really deserve to be set straight on these blogs. Some may take you wrong on these blogs BUT what you tell them is true…they just can’t handle it. You just exposing how rediculous they sound. HAHA!

19. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

yes ship 100 % agree that cundiff was brought in to help motivate akers, like I said earlier, I think part of akers record setting season last year was his determination to prove the eagles wrong for letting him go, that he still had it, he proved them wrong alright,,and I think akers will once again find that fire, that determination, to prove people wrong once again, that he can still do it. but yes, he has got to get it worked out before the playoffs start, I dont want to have to rely on cundiff,,,AT ALL, and that kid from washington is all over the nfl scouting reports by now with that kick.

20. By jamie on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Nervous. Not gonna lie. It was less stressfull when they were bad! HAHA!!! Lovin it though! Need some slot contribution from 17, You were a 1st rounder kid!!! Show em why they drafted you! Need to get the ball to 85. Crab will be the main focus of any defense we play. Cant double em both. Get on the same page with 85 Kaep. Natural born post-season playmaker!!!!. L James…your time for a huge play is now!!!!! Defense…..well…..what can I say…..dominate like you are capable. Leave nothing on the field!!!!! J Smith…doubt youll be back…tough to get strength back in a torn tendon without surgery. It makes me sick to think that but Im being realistic. That being said… RJF… play the next 3 games like they are your last!!!!! I dont know who I want to play next week…doesnt matter…gotta beat 3 to take it. Remember how u felt walkin off that field last January in OT after they kicked that fg……its time to get that taste out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. By dave g. on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

This girl can breaks it down best!

22. By Buzz Clifford on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Jacobs not needed with Anthony Dixon power back # 24. Jacobs got cut today.

Jenkins will step it up. Can you imagine how scary that first game was. He’s got lightning speed and runs great routes.

23. By Buzz Clifford on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

Ship you are the brightest and most well tead of us all. Thanks for that page that tells whom plays who.

So we shouls kinda get ready for Houston and Arian Foster.

24. By LU on Jan 2, 2013 | Reply

WELL LET’S SEE…IVE BEEN A 49er SINCE THE EARLY 70’S..AND THROUGH ALL THOUGHS YEARS THE 9ERS HAVE ABLE TO THROW THE BALL DOWN HILL…THAT’S THE 9ers WAY..THIS RUN GAME IS OK…BUT TO BE ABLE TO THROW THE BALL AROUND…WELL THAT’S PRICELESS…….

25. By 9erdog on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

West Coast Offense, eh?

26. By temper11 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

test…

27. By temper11 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

I don’t understand all this talk and concern over the kicker. I thought with Kaep under center, the field goal kicking position would became irrelevant? Aren’t we supposed to be scoring 50 or 60 a game now that we removed the one component that was holding this offenses true potential back?

28. By Humble Gold on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

We do appreciate the brief and to the Point commentary…..
    These long winded winding storybook tales are a bit of wasted breaths.
    Less mouth and more Action would do just fine for all the 49er Fans.
    Thank You.

29. By temper11 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

It’s a freaking blog… less mouth and more action? What do you propose?

30. By temper11 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Kiss my a s s. Is that to the point enough for you?

31. By bow53 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

o.k.let me shift gear here,i’m thinking ahead, i believe wil be facing the opponent of the 1st week,the green bay packers, where akers kick that 63 yarder ..even though w/ sign cundiff,J. H. still gunna stick w/ akers, i hope he gets his head together,cuz’idon’t wanna the special team messing us up again, 2 years a row, and as far as ck7 is concern, in the words of the great bill walsh to steve young “I BELIEVE HE CAN DO IT’ on our defense will be solid once again.. NINERS BABY!!!!!

32. By 49erdefense2012 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

hey temper11,, im pretty sure Humble was giving you a compliment,, well, at least we know why you call yourself temper, you obviously have a bad one

33. By temper11 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

woops… I think you might be right 49ersdefense – thanks for pointing that out. Sorry about that Humble if I misunderstood. I’m just still bent about A Smith. I’ll actually be happy to see him go so I can get fully behind my team again. Don’t get me wrong, I’m pullin’ for the boys in the upcoming playoffs, Kaep included, but it just physically pains me to see A. Smith sittin’ on the sidelines.

34. By Rosa on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

If are defense doesn’t play well, we’ll be watching everyone else play in the following weeks. Our defense hasn’t been the same, like last year. Players were afraid to cross the middle, cause we were knocking heads off. I am not sold on Kaepernick yet, he has played badly, especially against Seahawks, Rams, and he got better in the 2nd half of the Cardinals game. Last year Alex went to Seattle and we not only won the game, we gave them a beat down. The sports media keeps talking about the first time that the Rookie quarterbacks picked in the 2012 draft are in the playoffs, but they never mention Kap. I’ve tried to get through Sirius Radio, but haven’t been able to. SF never gets the respect. We need to play hard to show we are the best in the the NFC

35. By temper11 on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Kaep isn’t a rookie – that’s why he’s not lumped in the discussion with Luck, RG3 and Wilson. They are all first year players.

36. By Gayle Blankenship on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

All I know is Vernon baby…I love you. I am sure my man don’t mind me saying this but if you ever need some luvins, I have plenty for you! You rock!!!!

37. By SHIP on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Rosa…were you getting your info? You obviously only follow casually. 1) Kaepernick is NOT technically a rookie 2) How can you say Kaep has played badly??? Without that performance against the Patriots we loss that game and the division!? WTF are you talking about? Sure he has not been perfect BUT what QB has? 3) You really blaming the Seattle loss only on Kaep? Really? You need to learn football before you blog things you know nothing about.

38. By SHIP on Jan 3, 2013 | Reply

Oh yeah and 4)…and you really don’t think WRs are not fearful of getting lit by Whittner and Goldston this year? What games have you been watching?

39. By Hermie on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

SHIP…I was wondering where Rosa was coming from too that Kaep has been playing badly!! I think he has done everything they have asked of him!! Need that “D” well rested and ready to play smash mouth!!

40. By dave g. on Jan 4, 2013 | Reply

Right on Hermie & SHIP. Thats a head scratcher.