Morning Tailgate: Dec. 24

Posted by Alex Espinoza on December 24, 2012 – 12:00 PM

The 49ers suffered a humbling 42-13 defeat in Seattle on Sunday night, but still woke up on Christmas Eve with a half-game lead in the NFC West over the Seahawks. With a victory on Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals at Candlestick Park, San Francisco will capture their second straight division crown.

Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group examined the lopsided loss and what it means for the 49ers. “Both the 49ers and Seahawks are assured playoff berths,” Inman wrote. “The 49ers clinched at least a wild-card spot a week ago after outlasting the New England Patriots 41-34. The Seahawks earned their playoff ticket with Sunday’s prime-time win.”

The rest of today’s Morning Tailgate looks at the defeat and possible playoff scenarios for the 49ers.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle recapped the big win for Seattle and big loss for San Francisco.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee noted that the 49ers still control their destiny in the NFC West.

Ray Ratto of CSNBayArea.com discussed the importance of Justin Smith.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com passed along comments from Jim Harbaugh regarding Smith’s health.

Mark Purdy of the Bay Area News Group wrote that the dynamic of the 49ers’ season changed with the loss.

Ann Killion of the San Francisco Chronicle looked at the NFC picture after the 49ers’ loss.

Maiocco wrote that Colin Kaepernick can learn plenty from Sunday’s loss to the Seahawks.

Tim Kawakami of the Bay Area News Group said the 49ers need to regroup after Sunday’s defeat.

Inman discussed the impact of losing Vernon Davis to a concussion early in Sunday’s contest.

Branch noted the injures suffered by the 49ers.

49ers.com’s coverage included a wrap up of the game (story / photos) and a look at LaMichael James’ big contributions to the special teams unit. Scott Kegley and Taylor Price also broke down the defeat in the latest Cover 2 Presented by AAA and we brought you press conferences from Harbaugh and Kaepernick.

TV49’s CLIP OF THE DAY

Aldon’s got the Christmas spirit.

Tags: , , , ,

39 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Dec. 24”

1. By Lauretta Gomez on Dec 24, 2012 | Reply

This was my first NFL game ever. My boyfreind purchased tickets while I was in the hospital because SF was coming to Washington to play SeaHawks, two of my favorite teams, me being a California native. He spent a lot of money to get me end zone seats not including everything else and I was so excited I actually had tears of joy until the game started and many Seattle fans turned into a bunch of disrespectful and some of the most disrespectful people I have ever seen. If I cannot take a child to a game to getthe feel of the love of the game then I no longer want to go myself. What happened??? I saw grown men being vulgar and disrespectful to the elderly and disabled!! Rude and disrespectful after the pledge of allegiance to our great country. My next live game will be in SF and I hope I am not dissappointed and actually get to see some bright eyed youngsters still falling in love with the game instead of hateful propaganda.

2. By fan-no matter what on Dec 24, 2012 | Reply

Pretty obviious who’s the real heart of the 9er’s D . In six quarters without Justin Smith, the D has given up 70 points and over 200 yards rushing! Nuf said. Hope he returns for the playoffs. If not, it’s a quick exit for us!

3. By 1counselor on Dec 24, 2012 | Reply

I was so excited to get home and watch the Niners play some ball, but early into the 1st quarter I lost the excitement as I realized the team was not gelling together on the field. Simply said by Kapernick in his press conference the team did not play well. I watched Culliver and Rogers as they watched the Seahawks wiz right by them. Thank goodness for Willis as he caught the ball that gave us good territory to kick for three points. O’ and Akers needs a new leg. Hopefully, Davis will return feeling better for the playoffs. No matter what I feel like Coach Haubaugh and Kapernick are leading the team in the right direction and sometimes shift happens so hold onto your grace Niners and roll with it ! ! ! GO NINERS…

4. By DMT on Dec 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey Lauretta, that’s what hi definition TV is for, so you don’t have to subject yourself to idiots.

5. By ogre on Dec 24, 2012 | Reply

this was not an isolated incident. just goes to show: when you lose your honor you are nothing more than a shell. niners may get to the playoffs(it would be nice to see Arizona finish with a win) but one and done. the team deserves better but harbaugh doesn’t! no matter what song & dance you do for tv and your job: you broke the team “golden” rule. so for every player (no matter whom-except Kapernick) in their heart its “who’ll be the next in line?” your ego will never let you make it right. from coach of the year to the dumper. better luck next year.

6. By Ladybug on Dec 24, 2012 | Reply

To Lauretta: I am so sorry about your Washington experience, but honestly, I do not expect any better behavior from the Seahawks fans. They are brash, arrogant and rude. They use air horns and scream and yell to increase the acoustics in the
    stadium when an opposing team has the ball, and keep quiet when their team has the ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if the sound people also up the noise level through the sound system. No wonder the Seahawks win at home a lot.

As for the fan experience in our own stadium, I have found people to be friendly, and chatty, and all in all creating a good atmosphere to enjoy the game. I sat near some people who were supporting the other team, and while some of “our folks” did tease them and make jokey comments, none of it was rude, and eventually they all were discussing the various merits of both teams players.

I was so distressed at the play of the 49ers on Sunday night, that I could barely watch….it hurt so bad…knowing they play at a much higher level than they showed. I don’t know what went wrong….still tired from the over-the-top effort in New England?…..too many injuries to key players?…..Having to play in freezing rain for the 2nd week in a row?…. who knows. But I guess every team has a “Black Sunday” where nothing goes right and the energy just is not there.

I know the team will get it together for the Arizona game ! GO NINERS !

7. By DMT on Dec 24, 2012 | Reply

Did you know that this team has not won three games straight at any point during this season? Hmmm, last I checked, you have to win at least three in a row to win a title. Jus sayin.

8. By Mark on Dec 24, 2012 | Reply

I jokingly predicted the 49ers would lose to the Rams at home because of the WWLWWL pattern, and it happened. Same thing for the next Rams game. It sucks we had to play a good team this time for the third game.

9. By RED N GOLD on Dec 24, 2012 | Reply

TO PLAYERS AND COACHES, ALL US REAL FANS ARE STILL BEHIND YOU GUYS 100%. SO GET UP, DUST OFF THE DIRT AND PAINT THE POST SEASON RED N GOLD!!!! LETS BRING THAT TROPHY BACK TO THE BAY

10. By Humble Gold on Dec 24, 2012 | Reply

ditto ditto ditto ditto. ditto ditto, NNOOOOOO WWAAY

11. By Hermie on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

Now we have Ogress and Phalacio…same person trying to make themselves look better.

12. By Hermie on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

Justin definitely showed what he brings to the team…definitely the MVP of our “D”!! Need Justin and Vernon to be in the line-up!! Also, we are not going to win giving Frank the ball only 6 times!!! Don’t know what the Roman and Harbaugh are thinking!!

13. By jamie on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

Too many significant injuries to overcome especially J Smith. I would bet he is done 4 the year. The D line gets little push wthout him. Just like last year we are thin at WR goin into the playoffs (Manningham is done Im sure) and V Davis may miss some time. They will be making a quick exit from the post season unfortunately.

14. By jamie on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

Also I believe the entire D is spent. Lack of depth, physical play, and no subbing has caught up to them. I think they are beat up and worn down. Most likely gonna have to play wilcard weekend which means no rest…..not good.

15. By jamie on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

I think the worst part about the other night was the ZERO sense of urgency displayed by the offense after being down 21+ points.. Taking 4ever to get the play called, get out of the huddle and lined up. No faster pace WHAT SO EVER. I blame this entirely on coaching. They waited until less than 2 minutes to go in the game to go no huddle…..Seriously???!!!!!!! I understand its tough to go no huddle when its so loud but come on guys…Ur D wasnt stopping anyone that night and u needed points…fast.

16. By gary potter on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

jamie: well said, all your posts make sense. i quit watching after it was 21-0, first time ever that i didn’t watch complete game no matter what the score. we have a ton of draft picks this next draft, i hope they are used better than this last draft. Merry Christmas niner faithful includes 11 also.

17. By ace on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

so following this formula 2 wins followed by a loss we would beat the cards,get 3rd seed face the bears, beat the bears, and go to green bay to lose to the packers ?…..no we can beat the packers, well we did back with the other qb, and playcalling that we used with him, should be very interesting. gooooo niners

18. By millville9er on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

OH OH ! Vernon got a concussion. Watch out Vernon your coach is a “close line”, leaves you hanging. Wonder who Harbaugh has wanted to replace you with?

19. By ace on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

that asuming the vikings dont beat the packers, the vikings can do us a huge favor if they beat green bay at home i believe that would put us in the 2 seed with a week off and our 3rd game would be at the falcons for nfc championship

20. By ace on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

as soon as we figure out how to win 3 games in a row, i say give gore more carries, take some pressure off of kap and our defense, with power running formations we still have enuff lineman to do that, and bring back that using a dl to lead block with an oversized line,i think thats a better way to soften up defenses then throwing deep incompletions,goooooooo niners !!!!

21. By DMT on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

The bloom I off the rose with Harbaugh and his overrated coaching staff. You’re not a very good coach if you can’t have your team prepared to play for more than two weeks in a row.

22. By SHIP on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

DMT…where wer we before Harbaugh? Quit being so dramatic. People like you are never happy. I would not trade any coach in the league for Harbaugh. When we win A SB please get off the wagon. As for the 3 games in a row concept, why are there so many negative people on this site? Its one game at a time. I have seen us finish a season 13-2 and lose in their first playoff game. I have seen us go 10-6 and win a SB. Just cuz you can bank on you being loser in life don’t mean you have to equate it to the 49ers. Why are you people so up and down…what kind of fans is that?

23. By SHIP on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

You people are the worst fans! You turn on the coach because we lost to the Seahawks? WTF? What is wrong with you people acting like we are done? I hope I never see you taking credit and getting excited for us when we win it all under Harbaugh and our great coaching staff. We have had some miserable coaching staffs before Harbaugh. DId we forget Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan & Mike Singletary with his rants and revolving door of undeserving offensive coordinators. STF people and appreciate what we have instead of what we don’t have. No team has it all!

24. By ace on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

im not down on harbuagh his still awesome coach,its just a pateren that has devolped this year for some reason. every game is still the game
    like the next game we need to win.gooooo niners !!! i still wanna see harbughbowl called it niners ravens superbowl would be awesome, cuz we still wanna beat the other harbuagh, lol…niners trime lets go get some !!!

25. By SHIP on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

The pattern you seeing is called todays NFL idiot. Look at the number 1 seeds in each conference. They have been whomped on by other teams! Whats your point?

26. By ace on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

i agree this is hands down the best coaching staff weve had in some time following some really bad ones, i loved singletary, but he was not ready at all to coach the niners, i wanna see us play with that fire that is inside us fans , like when whitner hits a receiver and flips him upside down, focus that anger, into devasting football,knock people off the ball,if if they catch it rip it away and bends them like pretzals plz, lets go show them we are the niners !!!

27. By ace on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

the point is its odd, that we have this up and down play, it is the nfl so its hard to win, but this team is hot and cold, i just wanna watch the niners in the superbowl plz, its becoming crunch time, lets go niners lets go !!!!

28. By ace on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

and ship “idiot” you dont know me like that brosky

29. By ace on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

the seechickens out played us and it was very dissruptive with that crowd noise lvl, thats why they won

30. By ace on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

and for gods sake frank gore time, im just saying let that beast lose= wins

31. By ace on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

balance ,running, throwing,defense and specail teams, that formula we need for the superbowl, we have to scream it out cuz we want it sooooo bad this time,
    LETS GOOOO NINERS LETS GO !!!

32. By tanglung on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

First of all, Merry Christmas to you all.
    Man, What a game. Have to give a hand to the Seachickens, They really took it to my 49ers. Hopefully the 49ers can get healthy for the playoffs.
    No comments from 11years. HMMMMM

33. By phatalerror on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

“No comments from 11years. HMMMMM”

The problem is that now that Kaepernick has put up two big stat lines in six games, there’s a dozen more uber-vocal anti-Smith fans voicing their allegiance to Kaepernick. In a few days they will be parroting the line from the local radio shows: ‘It was a total team failure, and therefore you can’t put it on Kaepernick.’ This, of course, is intellectually dishonest, and was never the standard Smith was held to under the same number of years of coaching by Harbaugh as Kaepernick. Kaepernick could sneeze, and he would be praised because he did it explosively.

34. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

my good buddy SHIP, bringi you the TRUTH,,like it it is,,I could not have said it any better bro’,,,I have been saying all year long that this reminds of the year we went 10-6 and won it all,,was that 88? 84? cant remember off hand just got back from oregon and had to watch the game with some wanna start a fight seakawks fans,,they didnt want none,,,SHIP,,,keep bringin the truth,,only us “FAITHFUL ” understand what your sayin,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,,

35. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

@ phatalerror,,,first play of the game,,a wide open manningham,,well overthrown
    im hearin ya brother’

36. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

that 1st play of the game should have been 6 and changed the momentum of the game,,we went downhill from there, and I HATED seeing the cheater, ” I TESTED POSITIVE FOR ADDERALL CUZ I DRANK FROM A TEAM-MATES WATER BOTTLLE RICHARD SHERMAN returning the blocked punt for a td,,,his post game comments against coach harbaugh is a reflection of his team,his coach, and the seakawks fans as posted by the girl at the start of this blog,,,,

37. By Raju on Dec 26, 2012 | Reply

After Jim Harbaugh became head coach Alex Smith started 25 games, we had almost no injuries in the offensive line. The week before he was injured someone in NFL dot com wrote “I don’t know how 49ers are so healthy late in the season”. I was thinking while reading why this guy is writing like this. After Colin Kaepernick started, look at the number of injuries we have in the O line. I don’t know the play calling or Kaepernick but I feel Alex Smith is better in terms of everything including safety of the players.

38. By bow53 on Dec 26, 2012 | Reply

as much as i hate the decision, i do believe that ck7 is gunna be in the saddle thru out the regular season and the post season,.i hate to think that we’ve seen alex in his last year as a 49er, cuz’ his due 8.5 mil. come march if his still in the roster by then,the franchise is gunna be using that $$$$$ some where else , free agency or something??well, heckl we have’nt lock up dashon yet, i’m pretty sure we have to sign him some how,so, what i’m saying here is , it is what it is right now, and as 49er faithful i will support what we have right now….bottom line here were still fine standing wise….

39. By 9erdog on Dec 26, 2012 | Reply

yep! you want to shut the crowd up, you make those plays!
    I knew our defense would be hurting without the Cowboy, but without Justin we looked one dimensional on defense. I really felt for our guys when they were trying to run down Wilson!
    When we’re winning Kap, looks all smiley, but when we’re losing he looks lost, it will take time!