Throwback Thursday: Vernon Post

Posted by Alex Espinoza on December 20, 2012 – 5:16 PM

The play call was simple, but it will forever be remembered by the 49ers Faithful.

Vernon Post.

It hasn’t been a year since Alex Smith and Vernon Davis connected on their 14-yard, game-winning touchdown in the closing seconds of a 36-32 victory against the New Orleans Saints in the NFC Divisional Playoff round, but Davis’ catch is already up there with some of the greatest moments in 49ers history.

But is it better than The Catch?

The Catch (No. 1) and Vernon Post (No. 2) are currently the top two vote-getters in the Faithful fan polling of Candlestick Park’s greatest moments on FarewellCandlestick.com presented by SAP.

Want to make your voice heard? Friday marks the final day for the 49ers Faithful to rank their top 10 plays in Candlestick lore.

49ers center Jonathan Goodwin might be a little biased, but he knows who he would vote for.

“Got to go with Vernon’s,” Goodwin said.

The 49ers faced a 32-29 deficit with 1:37 left in a topsy-turvy game for the ages. But Smith and company quickly moved down the field, starting from their own 15-yard line before reaching the New Orleans 14 with just seconds to go. On a 3rd and 4 play, Davis ran a post route from the left side of the field and held on to the ball at the goal line despite a bruising hit from Saints safety Roman Harper.

Goodwin was one of the first players to greet Davis in the end zone, as the veteran lineman celebrated the imminent victory against his former team. Perhaps it’s no wonder why he picks Vernon Post over The Catch.

“A play like that to win the game?” Goodwin said. “To drive down the field like that and make a play, it was a great feeling, great moment for the team. Hard to put it in words.”

It was also a great moment for the fans. Here’s a video from Tom Stock capturing the Faithful’s reaction to Vernon Post.

Tags: ,

18 Responses to “Throwback Thursday: Vernon Post”

1. By Daniel Forte on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

I like to call it “the throw” as opposed to Vernon post

2. By Greg Chin on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

I called it “the grab” as another name as “the catch III”.

3. By ryanocerosthe1st on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

I call it “The TD to VD”. That’s an unmistakable name there.

4. By Joseph on Dec 20, 2012 | Reply

As much as I loved that Alex-to-Vernon moment and what it represented, as well as much as T.O. left such a bad taste in our mouths, I think Steve Young-to-T.O. in the 1998 playoffs should be number 2. People forget how the Packers had our number and what a rivalry that was in the mid-1990’s. I was at that game and my seat was in that end zone, and how Favre took the lead late, Jerry Rice fumbled (the refs blew that call) and how such a promising playoff game was suddenly going south. Also that was the only time we ever beat Brett Favre in a Packers uniform – we ended up going 1-10 against him or something like that.
    The Cowboys had our number in the 1970’s which made the 1981 Catch all the more sweeter. We aren’t really in a rivalry with the Saints. I would still give Vernon’s #3 all time. Also we needed a TD to win vs the other two, Vernon’s we could have kicked a FG to send it into OT.
    In either case they are all amazing and proud to be a lifeling 49ers fan!

5. By Bill J Liggons on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

I gotta be the catch because that resulted in a superbowl championship. Also it marked a win over the Dallas Cowboys who had the niners number until that game. Clark’s catched changed a culture. We lost the next game after Vernon’s catch.

6. By Carroll on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Lifelong die hard fan here. This was an amazing video, especially the flashbacks to past greatness. It brings tears to my eyes every time I watch it.

7. By Humble Gold on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Die-Hard Fan, and living the resurgence of the 49er Empire, alive and well.
    Proud of the Coaches and Players alike. Poise and Winning attitude forever.
    Love the Niners.

8. By Steve on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

As a fan too young to see the glory of the 80’s, this is my favorite play in 49ers history. And I was there to see it live. Nothing can compare with that until I see them win their next Super Bowl!

9. By Jason on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

What you did to Alex Smith was cold blooded, put him back in.

10. By Mike on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

As a lifelong 9er fan, I have to “stick” with Clark’s “The Catch.”

11. By Prince916 on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

That catch from Smith to VD, epic, all I can say. very Emotional as a niner fan. My heart still pumps fast everytime I re watch it. Very emotional, I say. VERY!

12. By Niners82 on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Let’s get this right folks it’s 3rd and 3 not 3rd and 4 no matter how it looks like on film it will always be 3rd and 3. Just like the immaculate reception leave the mystery alone people like it how it’s called the first time so stop changing it. That play is called “The Catch III”.

13. By Hermie on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

To me “The Catch” was the ultimate as Bill said, Dallas seemed to have the 9ers number dating back to ’70-’72 when we should have won our first couple of SB except for Dallas…I hate them to this day and root for anyone playing against them!! The first Glory Days of the 9ers!!

14. By cody on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

Smith and vernon always had something there and that catch sparked all of niner nation. no team can stop the smith-davis matchup, its one of the greatest of all time shame it ended with kap.

15. By Shawn in MA on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

As wonderful as the playcall was, as great as Vernons hands were holding on after that hit… Vernon walking to the sideline, starting to weep and hugging Harbaugh is what made that play one that will last in my memory.

16. By Mark on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

I loved the Vernon and T.O catch. I love the fact that my YouTube video made the clip at 3:55 of my brother (49er fan) checking our friend Lay and flipping over his couch with my brother (a saints fan) watching in disbelief.

17. By Lal on Dec 21, 2012 | Reply

VD catch from Alex Smith has to be the best because we were not losers of the NFL ANYMORE. VD was crying b/c losing is all he knew w/the Niners; all of them were losers until that catch. This Niner team had not won a meaningful game before the Saints for like a decade. The Catch did the same thing in the 80’s, but I believe they ran the same play twice before that one worked, and it did not involve an intense hit that VD took. In addition, I don’t know if anyone recalls a MNF game vs. the LA Rams in 89. Was that in SF? If so, the TDs by John Taylor were awesome. It was an epic comeback win. Go Niners, Go Alex!

18. By Sal on Dec 25, 2012 | Reply

Was the best NFL game I experienced in my life. Had everything, the underdog story, everyone thinking we were going to get shut down and Alex Smith not worthy of out Scoring Brees. Then he did the impossible to Vernon Davis and put the 49ers back on the map! Vernon And Smith, Just wished we had one more chance to see them together.