Manningham Doubtful; Jenkins Ready

Posted by Alex Espinoza on December 7, 2012 – 5:00 PM

Jim Harbaugh didn’t even need words to affirm the news: A.J. Jenkins could finally step between the lines for some NFL regular season action on Sunday against Miami.

Harbaugh nodded his head on Friday when asked if the first-round pick wideout could see action to help fill the void likely to be left by Mario Manningham. The veteran receiver did not practice this week with a shoulder injury and was listed as doubtful on the final injury report.

“I’ve seen progress from A.J,” Harbaugh said. “He’s been on his assignments. He’s executed well when he’s been out there. So, he’s given great effort. Football rewards that effort.”

Jenkins was picked No. 30 overall by the 49ers in April’s draft after catching 90 passes for 1,276 yards and eight touchdowns at Illinois. The young talent recently told reporters that he feels comfortable at all of the receiver positions, while emphasizing his ability to play in the slot.

Though Manningham will likely be sidelined on Sunday, starting cornerback Tarell Brown – the team’s other biggest health question mark at the beginning of the week – sounded confident he’ll be able to play.

“I’ll be fine,” Brown said Friday. “Just listening to the trainers, doing what’s best for my body and going off what the team wants me to do.”

Brown said his injured hamstring has been nagging him for some time and that he benefitted from sitting out Wednesday’s practice to heal.

“I’ll be ready to go on Sunday,” Brown said.

The 49ers will be trying to bounce back from last week’s tough 16-13 overtime loss at St. Louis. Under the direction of Harbaugh, the 49ers are yet to lose consecutive games, winning all five contests following a defeat since the beginning of 2011.

After each loss, Harbaugh said he noticed the players on his team seem to be “ticked off.”

“Usually when you’re ticked off you’re going to do one of two things,” Harbaugh said, “you’re going to come back and do something about it, or you go cower in the corner and shrivel up in the fetal position. Probably one of those two things is what people do. So, come back, chest somebody up and let’s do something about it.”

Given the amount of top-notch character guys in his locker room, Harbaugh hasn’t been surprised to find out the 49ers respond strong in the face of adversity. Looking forward to Sunday, Harbaugh said it will be tough challenge to establish the run against the Dolphins.

“They’re as good and better in some areas than we’ve faced,” Harbaugh said. “It’s a tremendous front seven, excellent defensive line and a secondary that’s big, athletic, can run.”

Tags: ,

22 Responses to “Manningham Doubtful; Jenkins Ready”

1. By Doc holliday on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

They are ticked off because a lot of these player are coming to the end of there career and you replace the no 1 rated QB with Kippersnack when they had a chance at supper B.

2. By bigmikeisathome on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been a fan since I was a Cub Scout in Santa Rosa,in the 50’s…I have autographs from some of the past greats{Nomelini.Perry,St. Clair.Tittle}You guys have two REAL good QB’s….Use them as you will,and kick some Florida behinds

3. By Faithful49er on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

I think kap is going to start to get into a rythm and the team should be alright..I on the other hand have always been an Alex smith guy and I feel really bad for him.. I personally will never blame him if he leaves now..He deserves to be a starter where he is wanted

4. By TheGhostofOak on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

I’m curious what the chemistry is between Kaep and AJ? Both the guys must have practiced together a lot.

5. By TheGhostofOak on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Seriously, aren’t we over the Alex BS by now? Give it a rest arleady. Move on or commit suicide. I’ll be fine with either.

6. By faithful12 on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Kap all da way, SB bound! yeah not Smith, hehehehe!

7. By tony on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

fed up with hearing bout how great smith is. Last year with a solid defence, run game, and kicking game we still didnt make the sb, so what makes people think it would be different this year ? just cause we got to nfccg people seem to think we will automatically get to sb with smith this year. He did great against saints, but i dont think he has matched that perfomance since, and lets not forget we beat them at their place this year. If not for mistakes out of kaps control we would av won 44-21. we too inconsistant as a team to win sb, i think we can get there with kap if we dont keep gettin sloppy and our oc calls open attacking game.

8. By ninersfanfor30years on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Smith played good enough to get us to the Super Bowl last year, it was two rookie punt fumbles that cost the game. I think Kap is the future for sure. . . . but why make the transition at this point in the season???? We wouldn’t be calling a pitch option on our own 5 yard line if Smith was in there (Rams game), I think we should have stayed with Smith throughout the season, as even Peyton Manning had to go through his growing pains as a first time starter, and now Kap will be going through them when we are only 1.5 game lead on the Seaturds and the playoffs. If you wanted Kap, should have started him first game this season like RGIII or Luck, either way, it’s clear to me Kap is the future and an awesome QB, but I just think it’s bad timing, and as for Smith, he deserves to start where he is wanted and I am thankful we have him and wish him luck next year, as I do not see him coming back.

9. By Humble Gold on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Can’t Beat New England, Cant Beat New York, Cant Beat St.Louis…..
    Second place, not really bad, but who wants to keep knocking on the door??
    We won’t blame Alex Smith IF he decides to leave, like other QB’s have done!

10. By smuman on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Looking forward to seeing what Jenkins can do. No better teacher than experience if nothing else.

11. By Iron Mike on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Any body remember the wide open shots Captain Checkdown missed in the NFC Championship? I’m speaking of the 2 shots to a wide open Veron Davis. Particularly the one which he had NO ONE TO BEAT!!!! Thank you for 7 years of being the least talented qb in the league Alex. Im shure you will not be a starter anywhere else.

12. By Jake Gray on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

@ Doc holliday
    only thing for supper is dolphin steaks

13. By tanglung on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

OK Kaep is the qb. But I believe Alex Smith should get a little respect. Alex did get the 49ers to this point. You Alex haters are just mean.

14. By 49thsamurai on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

To me it seems there are two kind of people discussing this so called QB controversy. People who are loyal to Smith (god knows why you would be loyal to a player who has proven he has reached his peak and it’s not that great) and people like me who are sooooo much more happier that Harbaugh is our coach than whoever starts at QB. Bottom line is Harbaugh is the best coach we had in a long long time so what he chooses should be fine with all Niner faithful. Go Harbaugh go Kaepernick/Smith and most importantly GO NINERS.

15. By crabber59 on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

About time putting 1st rd. pk Jenkins into some nfl action. Niners drafted Jenkins and James 1-2 rd. and neither has played a single sec. of a reg. season game yet. I don’t want to think the 2012 49er draft is a bust.

16. By 49ersalldaykid on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

I admit I hated Alex Smith but just like any other qb we need to move on if he doesn’t get the job done. He lacks the deep threat and we cant go to the superbowl if we game manage. Alex Smith struggles with elite defenses and can’t will always be the me Alex Smith. I don’t lke the change but our defense is not going anywhere. Our defense is way too talented that if Kaep makes a mistake and learn from then we can be a threat in the playoffs. Bottom line Alex Smith can’t play teams like Minnesota, Giants and Seahawks teams with great defense. Alex Smith will never change and we can’t settle for mediocre qb. Kaep will be ready for playoffs and so will our defense.

17. By Michael Kimbrough on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

It would seem to me that anyone posting comments supporting Alex Smith are actually Raider fans who have nothing to do but hang out at the 49ers website. Kaepernick won his first two starts and his worse game wasn’t all too bad. I used to be disgusted with Alex, now I think last season earned him my pity, but never did I really think he was good enough to win a game from behind. The Saints basically are an offensive team that hit our brick wall of a defence. Everyone in our division knows that the best way to beat us is to play great defense. That’s where Kaepernick can fill the gap in our offensive dynamic. Raider fans are welcome to keep posting anti-win messages.

18. By Jeremy Caudell on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Just go out and win. That’s all that matters. It’s their time to win and with Harbaugh at the controls it doesn’t matter what QB is in. Like Alex but Kaps the man now. Go 49ers. Can’t wait to see them in the play offs.

19. By stan78 on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Alex Smith signed a 4yr contract in the before season. Threre’s a few teams that could use a starting Qb with experience like Arizona talk about a Qb quandry.All I’m saying is Smith want out next year the 49ers could trade Smith for draft picks or some other compensation.

20. By ogre on Dec 9, 2012 | Reply

Mr. Smith signed a one year extension. When you have suits making decisions on paper (and they are brilliant) , and those paper moves get put into the “real life” players. Its not whether Kap has the better skills (he does), but they are not developed yet. Do not think that this is the best time to make the change. JH is an outstanding coach; but he is susceptible to error as everyone. Bad timing & lack of character will be the undoing of this team for this season anyway. In an honest world there is a right/wrong way of doing things. When money holds sway over; hard work, dedication, sacrifice. You become the personel whor* of that money source. I do believe that this is going to be the “undoing” of this team for this season. We shall see. Dolphins 26 49ers 20. Sad too see. Hopefully Alex won’t “pick up the call” when things go south. Time to stop being that nice guy; very few give you the respect you deserve!

21. By mikey49er on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

right now all is dandy wait till we play new england and seattle and arizona and i will guarantee people will start crying for smith back

22. By Nicholas P. Gartner on Dec 10, 2012 | Reply

Nothing Kaepernick has done would prove Harbaugh made the right decision. The 49ers are the best team in the NFL. They could win with my kid sister at quarterback. Smith was the win now quarterback, Kaepernick is the future. If Harbaugh was so intent on opening up the offense, why did he not do it with Smith in there?