• Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM PDT The Fiahtful Episode 1 "The Faithful" is a documentary series by 49ers Studios that is truly for the fans because it is the fans. Narrated by two-time Super Bowl champion Dwight Hicks, the show will take fans on journeys into the lives of the greatest 49ers stories that need to be told.

Kaepernick, 49ers Ready to Rebound

Posted by Alex Espinoza on December 5, 2012 – 6:20 PM

Kap-Header

Colin Kaepernick is ready to bounce back.

After the St. Louis Rams handed Kaepernick his first NFL loss as the 49ers starting quarterback in Week 13, the second-year signal-caller has his first chance answer adversity on Sunday against Miami.

Humble and soft-spoken as usual, Kaepernick addressed a large media gathering in the 49ers locker room on Wednesday. Asked what it’s like to receive his fourth straight start, Kaepernick simply said, “It feels good.”

The 49ers have gone 2-1 with Kaepernick as the starter following Alex Smith’s concussion in Week 10. Regardless of who’s under center, Pro Bowl tackle Joe Staley said the team is always supportive of the team’s leader on offense.

“Colin’s our quarterback and I support him 100 percent,” Staley said. “The whole team is behind him and we want to see him do well, and do everything we can to help him succeed and help the team succeed.

Kaepernick totaled a career-best 84 rushing yards on nine attempts Sunday, thanks in large part to a 50-yard, fourth-quarter run. Kaepernick showed off his long strides as he glided down the right sideline on the long pickup, getting big blocks from Bruce Miller, Frank Gore and Randy Moss along the way.

What’s even more impressive about Kaepernick’s scramble? It was the result of improvisation on a broken passing play.

“That’s the thing that he can do – he can make plays with his feet when plays break down,” Staley said. “He’s a great playmaker, great competitor and we’re happy to have him back there.”

Aside from his skills as a runner, Kaepernick is also pleased with the way he’s progressing in the pocket.

“For the most part, I felt my reads were good,” Kaepernick said. “Got through progressions well and that’s something I want to continue to do moving forward.”

While the 49ers ultimately lost 16-13 in overtime, Kaepernick led the 49ers on a field goal drive with less than four minutes left in the game. Had Greg Zuerlein not made a pair of late field goals in regulation and the extra period, we might be talking about three straight wins for Kaepernick.

“He made plays and he gave us a chance to win,” Staley said. “He made great checks at the line of scrimmage. He was facing some pressure – we have to do a better job of picking up the blitzes – but I thought he made plays with his feet.”

Kaepernick isn’t in this alone. Following the tough defeat, Kaepernick said he received plenty of encouragement from his teammates and coaches.

“The biggest thing was just move on and get ready for next week,” Kaepernick said. “They said, ‘Don’t worry about it. We’re a team. We’ll win as a team, lose as a team and we’ll get ready for Miami.’”

The Dolphins enter Sunday’s contest with the No. 11 scoring defense in the NFL, giving up an average of 20.8 points per game. Miami has proven to be stingier against the run this year (ranked No. 8, 97.7 yards per game) than the pass (No. 27, 257.7 yards per game), but Kaepernick knows the Dolphins are talented after reviewing tape on Tuesday and Wednesday.

“Their front seven. They have a great pass rush,” Kaepernick said of Miami’s strengths. “They’re very good against the run. That’s something we’re going to have to prepare for.”

Game Pass: San Francisco 49ers

Tags: ,

50 Responses to “Kaepernick, 49ers Ready to Rebound”

1. By joe on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Thanks to Alex Smith for almost getting them to the Super Bowl and a stellar record this year. If I was him I’d quit! Once Kap loses another game and Smith comes back hopefully he’ll have enough time to get back in form.

2. By Hermie on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Alright Kaep…Time to show the naysayers that Harbaugh knew what he was doing!!

3. By RED N GOLD on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Kap is a very good quaterback, we have 2 good quaterbacks and people need to accept it. Kap is doing his thing.

4. By otis on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

wise move my friends………………

5. By Kuni on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Kaep is gonna put a hurtin on the Dolphins….kid hates to lose….get yo popcorn ready!!!!!

6. By mainstreamsux on Dec 5, 2012 | Reply

Well, we haven’t had 2 consecutive losses under Harbaugh, and I don’t expect that to change this Sunday. We’re at home, have probably the toughest D in the league, and a QB who wants to make amends. Let’s go Niners!

7. By Ninergirl on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Coach Harbaugh has a winning record and has been right about almost everything since he became the 49ers head coach, but I hope that his decision to go with a young, talented, but inexperienced QB (nothing against Kaepernick, I think he has potential) does not cost the Niners a chance at the playoffs. It does not seem right that Alex Smith lost his starting job after he helped lead the Niners to within a game of the Super Bowl last season. Let’s hope Harbaugh is right, and the Niners keeping winning!

8. By capt capt on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Those that feel sorry for alex need to remember last season as a whole. The defense and akers most amazing season are the highlights of that season because alex couldn’t produce. When you look back in your DVR at the last season like i do. Tried to remember the lack 3rd down conversions, missed chances at the endzone leading to 20-30 yard field goals, deep ball overthrows, and constant missed chances due to chronic checking down. Akers had more points than alex every third game. So alex didn’t score or even eat up the clock! If you look back alex stopped being exactly what a quarterback’s first ability is…to be a deep threat. No other position has the highest chance to move the ball so fast.

9. By james on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

why are we talking about the QB we need to talk about our kicker!

10. By Hermie on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Apparently there are a lot of “so-called” 49er fans that would like to see Kaep fail, just so they can say I told you so!! Sorry Lot I would say. I actually think the kid gives us the “best” chance of winning a Superbowl (yes this year!!)…The kid has done everything he has been asked to do and because of the situation he has been thrust into, has many “fans” talking about his failures after 4 games, when you all gave Alex 8 years…By the time Kaep is done, Alex might be able to carry his clipboard.

I appreciate Alex as being a consummate professional in his job and demeanor and wish and hope the very best for him…If this plays out as expected he will be picked up by another team that I hope he can win a starting job.

Personally, I would love for our defense to have to play against a team he is quarterbacking.

11. By Hermie on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Oh….And, it was no “lock” that we were going to the SB with Alex…Don’t fool yourself, there are some pretty good teams out there we need to get through before hoisting a ring!! But, I believe we have the team to do it. Alex is a professional and will be there if we need him.

Right now we have a very good 5yr. window to win more than one. I am afraid one or both Roman/Fangio may end up with head coaching gigs somewhere.

12. By Peter on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

I think Alex Smith should be the QB. Sorry. I know everyone has moved on but not me and I doubt Alex. He has done enough to be the starter. He has suffered such abuse by the coaches, players, media and fans over his time here that I am just astounded. I hopes he moves to another team and comes back and beats the 9er’s many many times. Personally I am not watching any more games. I have been a 9er fan my entire life and am born and raised in SF. But this is too much. He is a great QB with a winning record especially once he had a decent coach. Offensive Player of the week, come on! Then Kap “loses” the game and you’re all clapping for him? This is BS and I for one am not supporting it. If Alex comes back I come back. If not so be it.

13. By Mannu on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

disappointed in our coach.

These are decisions that in the long term ends up costing the coaching job. I am not willing to accept anything less than the Super Bowl this season.

Nothing against Kaepernick!!!!!

14. By Steven on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

All im going to say is it’s amazing how many people love Alex smith now. I was one of the VERY few who liked Alex when we drafted him and stood by him for years. He has had his issues and what not but the main reason he lost is job is because he does not do the one thing a QB should do and that is throw the ball. And he loves to take sacks and the check down and yes think what you want I love my team but Alex was not the answer at QB. Now on another not what the Hell is up with Aker’s if he makes both Fg in OT vs the rams we are 10-2 and not 8-3-1

15. By Steven on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

All im going to say is it’s amazing how many people love Alex smith now. I was one of the VERY few who liked Alex when we drafted him and stood by him for years. He has had his issues and what not but the main reason he lost is job is because he does not do the one thing a QB should do and that is throw the ball. And he loves to take sacks and the check down and yes think what you want I love my team but Alex was not the answer at QB. Now on another note what the Hell is up with Aker’s if he makes both Fg in OT vs the rams we are 10-2 and not 8-3-1

16. By Ojay on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Like I said before, we as fans are commenting on something that we have no control over. Let the coaches coach, let the team be a team and let the players play. Kap had his 1st loss as a starter. He will be fine for the next game against the Dolphins and hopefully we will not call that dump pitch play ever again. That was the play that cost the game last week.GO NINERS!

17. By truefaith49 on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

get off his nuts he has done nothing since starting to prove he is better than smith,, just cuz he got them in range for a feild goal(50 plus not easy by the way) dose not excuse the fact that he gave more points to the other team off his arm and gave us none!!! the fumble was not ginns fault say what you want that type of play is supposed to be kaps forte and he messed it up horribly i like him in the future but for now i say get him out of there he is wide eyed and scampering not poised and composed like smith

18. By J on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

The Niners need to blow out the fish this weekend! No holding back!!!

19. By J on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Everybody is looking too much into this qb issue! The team need to focus on winning, period! This is the back end of the season and guess what? We’re in the drivers seat with a chance to go to the big dance. So instead of griping about who should start and who should sit everybody needs to pull together. Super Bowl bound baby!!! Who’s got it better than us???

20. By RED N GOLD on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

OUR FANS LET THE MEDIA GET TO US. IF KAP GETS HURT, WHO DO WE HAVE FOR PLAYOFFS….. IF ALEX GETS HURT, WHO DO WE HAVE FOR PLAYOFFS? LETS BRAG ABOUT IT, NOT HATE ON OUR TEAM CUZ WE HAVE DEPTH!

21. By kurt on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

are prob is are kicker. this would be a mute point if are kicker could come through should have 1 less loss and 1 less tie. thx akers but i think your done.

22. By phatalerror on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

All of you people that are blaming the kicker are forgetting that your chief complaint about Alex Smith was that he wasn’t leading the offense to touchdowns. Supposedly, Colin Kaepernick was going to fix that. But now that he hasn’t, instead of blaming the quarterback, you are blaming the kicker. It’s just one more of the numerous double-standards that the anti-Smith camp has applied.

23. By Hermie on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Oh…how many games did Akers win last year for Alex!!!!

24. By chitown ninerfansince81 on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

dude stop with the hate alex kap go niners

25. By Fuea Lutu on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

No worries Kaepernick ! You got a whole lot of other games where you can show what you can do and prove that Harbaugh made the right choice in choosing the starting quarterback :)

#DieHardNinerFan<3

26. By ThunderCloud21 on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

It’s absurd how often you read comments like: “I don’t like Harbaugh any more because he’s not loyal to Alex”!
    Question: Does Harbaugh have a “problem” with morale on the team? Answer: NO
    Are there any signs that players don’t want him as Head Coach any more? Answer: Absolutely NOT
    Should Harbaugh be “discarded” because he appears to have “discarded” Alex? Answer: Are you completely INSANE?

27. By JayHawke on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

@ Steven….I’m not supporting D. Akers or putting him down….but I will say one thing….it all started with the blocked field goal against Minnesota. That to me spells “psyched out”. Until he can go thru his mechanics as he should and not worry about the blockers…..he will still have trouble. I hope he can…..he’s a great kicker.

28. By Rick on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Ted Gin who dropped and fumbled the ball on the 3 yard line is a team jinx. Ball recovered in the end-zone by the Rams. He also did this in the Championship game against the NY Giants, fumbled a kick-off to an eventual Giants win. #19 should go. Bad hands, bad time.

29. By KDB on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Dolphin game doesn’t worry me one bit. The New England game is going to be a real test. If we win that, then I’m good even in Alex doesn’t QB. Yes, I feel bad for Alex but I want to win. I’d rather see Alex win us a Bowl but I’ll take a Kap QB’d Bowl as well. But if I have a prefernce, then that’s it and I’m just being honest. That being said, I don’t want to see Kap fail.

30. By tony hallerman on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

if it is said that kap is good why did he run out of bounds just don’t make sense he better take them to the playoff and then the big superbowl i say alex is better just hope alex doesn’t leave

31. By Art on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

The 49ers didn’t lose to the Lambs, instead they beat themselves. Here are the top 5 reasons why the 49ers loss last Sunday:
    5. Lousy play calling from the coaches.
    4. 11 penalties against the 49ers.
    3. Dropped winning touchdown by tight-end Delanie Walker.
    2. Missed winning field goal by the kicker David Aykers.
    1, Bad luck from week 13!

32. By phatalerror on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Don’t misdirect the blame just because it’s convenient. Good quarterbacks are clutch when they have the lead, and they don’t contribute directly to the defense’s first ten points of the game. Comparing Roman’s play-calling to Raye’s is a most baseless insult of the most ignorant sort.

33. By phatalerror on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Can someone please explain why a good play properly executed though called in a questionable situation is the quarterback’s fault (Alex Smith under Singletary’s run-until-you’re-losing-badly system), but a good play improperly executed though called in a questionable situation is the coach’s fault (Colin Kaepernick’s panic pitch)?

34. By Andy on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

Alex is our QB kap not

35. By Andy on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

no alex did not reach the Super Bowl will never kap

36. By Andy on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

J. Alex

37. By zyrunjackson on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

I almost wonder if Alex Smith fans are loyal to the 49er organization. I can understand if he was Joe or Steve, I’m confused about what’s going on in the bay. I thought we had the blue collar mindset, I thought we believed in Harbaugh.

Now there isn’t a day that goes by that I see an argument about what coach should of done, shouldn’t of done.

YOU FEW OF LITTLE FAITH. I hope Coach reads theses threads I hope you comment in your full name and I hope you stick by your QB , while we the FAITHFUL stick with Coaches decision.

YOU guys are not fans and do not deserve a win from KAP.. GO join the RAMS>>>>>>> I DISLIKE ALL OF YOU.

38. By zyrunjackson on Dec 6, 2012 | Reply

The Oakland Raiders had a chance to grab Alex last off season.. why didn’t they?
    I don’t think they would trade Carson Palmer for him now.

The Miami Dolphins had a chance…why didn’t they?

The list could go on, Seattle, Arizona, Miami, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Kansas CIty, Washington Redskins,

Truth of it all is Cam newton is a better prospect than Alex, IF we would ask for a trade they would spit in our faces. Truth of the matter is Kap offers the same look as Cam in a better system. Truth of the matter is The 49ers Running game and play calling make Alex Smith, not the other way around.

No one in the League is loosing sleep or having NIGHTMARES because number 11 steps on the field.

EVERYONE YOU MUST REGAIN YOUR COMPOSURE. He isn’t a hall of Fame QB
    GET OVER IT> …..Go to another team if you don’t like it. THE RAIDERS NEED FANS>

39. By phatalerror on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

“Truth of the matter is The 49ers Running game and play calling make Alex Smith, not the other way around.”
    Except that this is patently untrue: The 49ers’ running game has suffered since the offense landed in Kap’s lap, and Smith was more productive against better defenses. A falsehood doesn’t become truth because you believe otherwise.

40. By F Dog on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

You haters make me sick. Alex sucks because he cant handle pressure on 3rd down period. We went last season not able to score in the red zone. Lets move on to find a solutions. You broads think with your panties, all emotions. When will men think like business men and go after the super bowl. He is getting 11 million and he is not worth it. Bottom line is that if we dont win a super bowl soon somebody is going to lose their job. Its either , Smith, Haurbaugh, or the GM. Pick big shots. I can tell many of you would ruin a business with your emotion filled decisions. You selfish people, you prefer to make the coach lose his job instead of Smith. I prefer the coach. grow up yall.

41. By KDB on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

Hey RICHARD with EARS, both of you.

The Alex debate is LONG GONE because he has made all of you who said he couldn’t play WRONG, so that’s a done debate.

Let’s win more football games now.

42. By KDB on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

What’s short for RICHARD, that’s right.

43. By Jmoot on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

All I know is we had our chances against the Rams and we didnt win. Alex Smith lives off the Rams…had he been playing we would have won that game. I think Kap will get ripped this weekend by Miami. Hope not but Miami D is stout.

Concerned Fan

44. By Sandi on Dec 7, 2012 | Reply

I hope the OC makes better calls then the last game……………………….BAD…….
    3rd and 20—-RUN, 3rd and 17 RUN…….1st, 2nd and 3rd down RUN……keep running the ball and poor Gore will end up HURT. It looks as thoe they do not trust the QB…….Everyone picked the Niners to go to the SB in 2013, we looked great. But something is WRONG…they are not clicking like a SB team should…..Harbaugh has created chaos……….

45. By phatalerror on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Kaepernick is 18/50 (36%) on 3rd down conversions since Smith left. 34 of those plays took place with 10 or fewer yards to go for a first down, and Kaepernick’s offense converted 15 of those. Kaepernick has never converted 3rd down for a 1st from longer than 11 yards in the NFL. Why blame Roman for calling a run play on 3rd and anything longer than 11?

46. By phatalerror on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

Smith was 32/90 (35.5%) on 3rd down conversions, with 73 of those plays taking place with 10 or fewer yards to go for a first down, and 31 of those being converted (42.5%). While you might conclude that Kaepernick’s stats are better, on 383 1st and 2nd downs under Smith, 119 were converted (31.1%) as opposed to 46/172 (26.7%) by Kaepernick. The offense has stalled more frequently under Kaepernick’s leadership.

47. By canadianninerfan on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

If you remember the knock the great late Bill Walsh took for drafting a certain QB with four superbowls. ( I am not in any way comparing the two) But coming out of Notre Dame Joe montana was critiqued for not having a strong arm not very mobile but with a great team around him and a mastermind on th sidelins won 4 superbowls. People knock Alex for the same things cept alex can run can move the ball and can trhow deep when he HAS to Montana never put up gawdy numbers but was smart efficient and knew how to win games I remember watching the superbowl against the bengals down 16-13 the way Montana marched the niners down the field Alex reminded me of that last year and both Montana and Young had the teams that always seem to give them a hard time Giants for Montana cowboys/packers for Young. Alex has a lot of good ball left and just becaus a kid can throw hard if not for our defenece we would be 1-2 with Kap under center. Love the kid but it is still alex’s time.

48. By MARIA on Dec 8, 2012 | Reply

YA WHAT ABOUT OUR KICKER!???????? WE SHOULD OF WON LAST WEEKS GAME………..WE SHOULD OF GOT MADE THAT FIELD GOAL AND THAT WAS THE GAME THERE!

49. By ThunderCloud21 on Dec 9, 2012 | Reply

Look folks, this QB “controversy” is getting old! It really is! Many of you like the steadiness of Alex…and others like the excitement and explosive potential of Colin. Harbaugh and his coaching staff made up their minds, and they’re going with Colin. Why should we respect that? Because they’re the ones who conduct the practices, talk to them every day, see how they perform under various conditions, and review tons of film all week long! Besides, Harbaugh still has the best coaching record of anyone else in the middle of his first 2 seasons coaching in the NFL. FYI: One commentator above mentioned that “Alex rules the Rams”! 1) You CANNOT compare the 2011 Rams with the 2012 Rams led by Jeff Fisher…difference is day and night and 2) Before he got his concussion, Alex did NOTHING against the Fisher-led Rams…I guess you forgot that the Rams were ahead of the Niners 14-0 before Colin came in and put us ahead. Look at the facts!

50. By phatalerror on Dec 9, 2012 | Reply

“2) Before he got his concussion, Alex did NOTHING against the Fisher-led Rams”
    You didn’t actually watch that game, did you? Alex Smith wasn’t giving up good field position to the Rams. That was totally on the defense. You speak as if Colin Kaepernick came out and immediately put points up, but Kaepernick’s offense didn’t put any points on the board for another four drives. Smith’s quarterbacked through a concussion better than Kaepernick did without one.