• Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM PDT The Fiahtful Episode 1 "The Faithful" is a documentary series by 49ers Studios that is truly for the fans because it is the fans. Narrated by two-time Super Bowl champion Dwight Hicks, the show will take fans on journeys into the lives of the greatest 49ers stories that need to be told.

Morning Tailgate: Nov. 30

Posted by Taylor Price on November 30, 2012 – 10:19 AM

team

Time and time again the San Francisco 49ers have proven to be a united front. Two recent examples shed a bright light on the team-oriented locker room.

According to CSN Bay Area’s Matt Maiocco, teamwork was involved in the recent five-year contract extension for All-Pro linebacker NaVorro Bowman. Three players, Vernon Davis, Carlos Rogers and Ray McDonald, all restructured their contracts to give the 49ers enough cap flexibility to sign the talented linebacker long-term.

The other example would be the professionalism shown by Alex Smith in the wake of Jim Harbaugh’s decision to start Colin Kaepernick Sunday in St. Louis. In order to understand the potential reasoning for the move, Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports caught up with a cast of Harbaugh’s former teammates to learn more about the 49ers coach’s playing career as it relates to his coaching decisions.

Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk told Silver, “I’m pretty sure about the fact that this is not a game-playing thing for him. It’s for the greater good of the team. There is no personal gain for him. Everything he does is for the greater good of that team, and he’s not going to deviate from that.”

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle looks at the team’s rematch with St. Louis and how the 49ers are not underestimating the Rams the second time around.

Branch also shares Vic Fangio’s comments on his hard-hitting safety tandem.

Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News examines the latest injury report for the Rams and 49ers and its potential implications for cornerback Carlos Rogers.

Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com looks at where the 49ers linebackers rank with the NFL’s best linebacking groups.

Ashley Fox of ESPN.com writes that Harbaugh made a decision on his starting quarterback than any coach would make.

Adam Schein of NFL.com believes Bowman is one of his nine players who can be trusted to perform every Sunday.

Dan Arkush of Pro Football Weekly looks at the competition for Frank Gore’s backup running back duties.

49ers.com examined Michael Crabtree’s third-down production and relationship with Colin Kaepernick, shared details on Aldon Smith’s NFC Defensive Player of the Month honor and highlighted one of the greatest moments in Candlestick Park’s history.

TV49’S CLIP OF THE DAY

RT – worthy.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 55 Comments »

55 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Nov. 30”

1. By bow53 on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

thanks to v. davis, c. rogers and mcdonald for helping out, to extend the contract of my main man, BOWMAN, now thats what u call team work, were signing up good quality players, hoping the next guy to be lock up is dashon goldson, we are really heading in the right direction, glad to be a niner fan….

2. By 11yearswithalex on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

wow yeah whole team is in it to win it …sounds great …been a long time since this team said …..hey we want to win a superbowl and we will do what it takes to do so ……ahhh i miss Eddie D…….but he does have the young yorks ear and that can only be huge for him and the niners ……great work guys whole team is makeing a statement …..and it is good to be a niner fan …..GOOOOO NINERS

3. By 11yearswithalex on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

RAISE UP YOUR 49ER FOAM #1 FINGER FOR THE GREAT BILL WALSH ….THE NINERS WILL ALWAYS BE GREATFUL FOR HIS EFFORTS AND TALENT THAT BROUGHT THIS CITY TO THE LIME LIGHT AND PUT IT IN THE RECORD BOOKS

4. By Tom in NJ on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

different subject here..was on espn and was watching a video on Colin’s tatooes! I dont get the media, they are always looking to bring somebody who’s doing good DOWN! I don’t have tattoes or could get one myself but I do know that they MEAN something to people who have them and they inspire them to do what they do!They are always there to remind them and or inspire them! Colin thought hard about the ink he has on! I also know that Colin is a good kid who worked hard to get where he is at! Don’t try to bring the young man down and try to say that because he has a tattoe or several that he is something that he is not! THE BOOK ISN”T ALWAYS WHATS ON THE COVER!” Before you open your mouth about somebody you don’t know get to know them first you idiots!

5. By 11yearswithalex on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

YEAH saw that as well …what is up with that i thoughtout right slander was a no no ….then the writer says…. hey i have 2 minority raced kids …….. who cares ..so that means you can bash a guy because he has tatoos at the QB position and link it to a racist remark ……i ………. can not believe that they even printed that garbage ……the media is wrecking this world right from under us ………he should be fired and sued….and then sent away ..far away no room for that garbage

6. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

the guy named whitley that wrote the article that goes with that video should be ashamed of himself. to use his adopting of black children. I was adopted at birth as was CK7. his parents set an example for him to follow. his tats are biblical in nature and are some of the things that inspire him to better today than he was yesterday. kap has never been in trouble with the law. had a 4.0 gpa while at reno
    he destroyed the record books, and I watched him personally kill the cal bears chance at a #2 BCS ranking. keep proving everyone wrong about you CK7 and reap the rewards

7. By 11yearswithalex on Nov 30, 2012 | Reply

…..wow hmm well said ….and yeah well done ….what was said …i like that

8. By 9erdog on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

POOF!

9. By 9erdog on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

how many Poofs must a man have to post, before he’s allowed to speak out? The answer my friends is blowing in the wind, and yet I try again!

10. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

sundays game at arrowhead is insignificant, what a horrible situation. my wife is still crying for all involved,, many prayers go out to the family’s ,coaching staff, and all effected by this. a sad day for family friends and loved ones.GOD give them strength

11. By 9erdog on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

amen

12. By dave g. on Dec 1, 2012 | Reply

NINERS!

13. By 9erdog on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

Somethings of important’s about the Alex benching that could be very bad for NFL players IMHO!! This benching sends a very bad message to players about reporting injuries ‘Hindsight’ being key, knowing what he now knows, Would Alex have told coaches about the blurred vision?
    If anybody saw the Brian Gumbo show the other night about Concussions? and what they’re learning is pretty sad! It brings new meaning the word Jock!

14. By 9erdog on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

seems pretty much up to halftime anyway, that our defense is keeping us in this game! Bit of a switch here Terry and the boys are making excuses for the Kap’ shoe would of thought ?
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!
    Come on offense wake up ….

15. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

bad decision making on CK7’s part,,he dont look so good today

16. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

the ” pesky ” rams as ace put it the other day are playing inspired football,,or is it us just not executing properly?

17. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

what a dumb a$$ f,u,ck,ing play call, ck7 should have never tossed that back to ginn

18. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

that play would never had been called if alex is the qb in this game, I have seen enough, lousy plays today to want alex back at the helm

19. By 11yearswithalex on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

worst playcalling ever did not see one screen or real playaction rollout ….and with 5 minutes and 1st down settle for a long fg try …bad coaching there should have tried for more yards to make it easier try …..worst ever against a team that plays us tough all the time and now has a good coach and players …and a GAME THAT WENT NOWHERE FAST …..overtime again and a coaching fail again …let the guys play they are here to be professional and win games dont take the ball away from em let em help the team out ……long fg try for the loss

20. By gary potter on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

got just what we deserved

21. By 9erdog on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

hmmmmmmm?

22. By ogre on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

Can’t mess with Karma. Looked like the niners of the past. Really thought the D would win it for Kap again, but I guess what goes around – gets around. Look- with losses to NE, & Seahawks the niners still get in. Problem is they don’t get all the perks: homefield, 1st bye. Then they have too play AWAY. Would have been nice to MANAGE our way as last year, but heh coach knows best. Good Luck!

23. By 9erdog on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

Had Alex played this game, I’m sure somebody here would be talking Alex down, rather then bashing the coaches!
    After last week and this game today I would think its an easy call to put Alex back as the starter? Kaepernick is the future but the future is just that, the future!
    I thought you could see that the team needed its captain today!

24. By gary potter on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

no blame on ck he didn’t call plays

25. By 9erdog on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

This whole mess could be a real disaster, I’m thinking that coach got a little to cute for ‘our’ own good! I’m just hoping that everything can be put right, and locker room is not dived! Whats coach gonna do? IMHO the right thing to do is to put Alex back at the controls, I just hope that coach does’t get bullheaded and does what is more then likely the right move, in
    giving Alex his job back. And get this team back on tract!

26. By dave g. on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

This game is not about the QB just like it was not about the QB with Alex. We can blame a lot of things but I will come out and say it: David Akers has really been letting us down. You look at our losses you tell me how different the outcomes are if Akers plays the way he did last year! Common Akers!

27. By 9erdog on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

Myself I have no problems with Kap, he just needs more time thats all IMHO! So get Alex back at the helm and get this wagon back on the road, to da Super Bowl!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

28. By dave g. on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

What is going on with Akers??? Seriously!? We need to make a change cause these misses cannot be happening in the playoffs! Its not about what he did last year. Its about what he is doing now.

29. By dave g. on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

David Akers is just seven-for-15 kicking from 40 yards and beyond. Zuerlein is seven-for-11 kicking from the 50 and beyond. Rams have a better kicker right now whether anyone wants to admit it. I don’t like it but its a reality we need to face & we need to fix ASAP.

30. By Jake on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

I dont know Kap looked bad and if it wasnt for the def last week we would of lost against the saints put Alex back in

31. By dave g. on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

We can win with either QB. There are so many people on these blogs that are incredibly biased. Its all based on who they have promoted. Alex vs Whoever. The minute “their QB” loses they blame something else, the minute “the other QB” loses, it all their fault. Ahhh but when their guy wins, it becuase of that guy and when “the other guy” wins another part of the team bailed them out. You people kill me…The egos are rediculous. The truth is we can win it all with Smith or Kap and they are not the reason for the losses just like in last years playoffs was not a QBs fault. PLease stop the nonsense with the egos.

32. By dave g. on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

The loses we have had a due to other parts of the team and not Kap or Smith. Face the truth. There has been some bad play calling (risky) at times and our special teams have not been very special. Those two areas are our biggest weakness no matter the QB – Smith or Kap so stop the madness and be real with yourself. We fix those areas and stay healthy then we are good.

33. By gary potter on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

dave g: i agree, coaching staff must look in the mirror. this loss was not players or akers fault, it was terrible play calling

34. By dave g. on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

It was unbelievable to me last year how the anti-Smith clan wanted to blame our NFC Championship loss to Smith last year. The loss was because we lacked depth with healthy WR’s and “3 FUMBLES!!!!!”. This year our losses have not been due to a QB- Smith or Kap. Be real AND stop blaming a QB to protect your “I TOLD YOU SO MENTALITY”. I don’t care who the QB, I don’t care about I told you so’s, I CARE ABOUT THE SF49ERS WINNING A SUPERBOWL! I am not worried about the QB position becuase Harbaugh knows that area more than ANY OF YOU so shut up with that nonsense!

35. By dave g. on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

There has been something going on with Akers though whether people want to admit it or not. I am all for loyalty but take of the blinders for Gods sakes! He is missing kicks he was making last year! Am I the only one who see’s this? Or “has everyone taken CRAZY pills”? ~quote by Mugatu

36. By 9erdog on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

I just hope coach does the right thing IHMO and puts Alex back in at starter? And I hope he does this quickly no games, just do the right thing. In watching this game I saw more then one reason to make the move, this whole thing is turning into a huge mess …. thats how I see it anyway!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

37. By jacob on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

this game would have been easily won had alex played. He would have made the right audibles and wouldn’t have given away 10 points. I would rather have a Managed win than an exciting loss. Wake Up coach.

38. By jacob on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

As for Akers.. he is hurt, has been hurt, and should not have played. So, I guess that would be on the coach also.

39. By jacob on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

my not as humble as it should be, opinions.
    And Dave, I think your right about the other problems being key. In fact, If every other area was working we would not even need a QB. But I also think it doesn’t help when our QB is giving the other team points.
    – no sarcasm meant.

40. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

the coaching today was a laughable joke. that play that gave the rams a td was the most brainless,idiotic,play call I have ever seen. where we were on the field and the score the time left,,,INEXCUSABLE…..AND CK7 SHOULD HAVE NEVER NEVER NEVER PITCHED THAT BALL TO GINN….PERIOD,,,!!!!

41. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

kap should have just run forward got what he can and call the next play, those are the rookie type mistakes we CAN NOT afford at this point of the season….I am one pi$$ed off 49er fan right now

42. By jacob on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

your right about the coaching today. I think even the coaches would even agree with your comments. I would like to just add that IMHO, had Alex played he would have made the correct adjustments. He has made the play calls look better than they really are alot of the time. The audibles he makes are one thingthat the A.S. haters overlook.

43. By jacob on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

Kap is the future!… Maybe? But I want the SB this year, and I Think this year is ours with Smith. with Kap? Go Niners!

44. By 9erdog on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

It looked to me like Romans play calling for Kap. up until todays
    game. Was pretty much the same game plan he called for Alex in the Saints Play off game aggressive, and today’s game plan ……… well you saw it! I mean come on how’d that happen ?
    Ahh to be a fly on the wall in the 9ers locker room!

45. By SHIP on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

You guys crack me up. Look around the NFL. Divisional games are tough and every team goes through tough games regardless of records. We made some bad plays but if our kicker makes his field goals we win 2 tight games against the Rams. Harbaugh thought carefully — and patiently — about making the change at QB and he has been planning this for a while because of Kaps tremendous upside. He knows what he is doing & if you dont see that then you an idiot. Dave G is absolutely right and you people are acting like panicked, scared b!tches. Kaepernick’s tremendous upside isn’t negated by one tight loss to the Rams. Stop being goofy.

46. By SHIP on Dec 2, 2012 | Reply

Regardless of the reason, Akers missing is killing us in our losses and tie this year regarless of QB.

47. By mfkram64 on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

look back at my post…don’t want to be a told u so..BUT! all of u r alex this kap that coach this..i said it sat. everything is fine on the d and off. it’s the special teams go back and look it up..my post said it all…akers is old sorry he blew ot game missing 41 yd. fg now he misses a 51 yd. in a dome..these were the niners wins last year…alex got alot of help last year from akers foot lets face it..this year he lost it..and the niners can’t rely on him anymore they have to go for it on 4th downs when in no mans land..they have to run a differant off. now because a field goal is very hard to make this year..last year it was a fg. and play great d…lets face it u have to score 20+ pts in the playoffs to win so they better start scoring points period!

48. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

I didnt see akers making a stupid pitch back to ginn to fumble the ball and give the rams 7 points. I do agree whole heartedly that the kicking game has HUGE problems, but to say we lost the game because of the kicker sounds just like all the alex haters saying the defense won us games not alex. dashon making that stupid late hit. bradford running through the middle of our defense as time was running out in regulation.. we lost this game decidedly because of COACHING.
    who the hell calls an option play that close to our own endzone?? what was kap thinking pitching the ball back to ginn in the first place?? ginn was like 8 yards BEHIND the line of acrimmage,,,im a fan of the team, my whole life,,this is exactly what I meant that you dont make a change this late in the season unless youve already lost your chance to get to the playoffs,,,next up the dolphins at home,,then the biggest game of the year which will most likely decide the winner of the nfc west,,,@ seattle,,,coach harbaugh I hope the f, u,c k your right about CK7 giving us the best chance to win, cuz after the way he looked like a 1st year rookie against the rams yesterday, Im having a hard time buying into it,,,but,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST,,heres to keeping the faith,,,with fingers crossed

49. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

frank gore started out ripping off some good runs. the rams made some adjustments and we didnt. the offense couldnt score points. without the run game the rams made it look like alex WAS in there at qb. isnt that what all the alex haters have been saying all year? that without the running game alex cant do $hit? alex cant lead us from behind to a win? well, guess what,,neither could collin kaepernick yesterday. CK7 is our qb the rest of the,,win or lose,,so the qb of our future is now the qb of our right now. kap was once again late making calls and adjustments at the line of scrimmage, many times instead of changing the direction of a running play, he let the play run right into the teeth of the rams defense.when you see 7 guys at the line of scrimmage with their hands on the ground, you have GOT to audible to something else if its a running play called he ran the play straight into the teeth of the rams defense. I saw 3-4 times frank gore helping him with the line calls. the coaching staff has its work cut out. we got the run stuffing fish at home on sunday, then road games to seattle and then new england. Im no fair weather fan, I have been throught it all. the losing before montana got here, all the losing since 1999, I have never waviered or lost faith in my team,,but we as fans now have some things that might cast some doubt on this years chance of winning it all. we must trust in the coaching staff to righten the ship before it sets sail in the wrong direction,,,

50. By 49erdefense2012 on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

have I lost faith in coach harbaugh and our team this year? my wife asked as she walked out the door this morning. of course not I replied, but am I skeptical? you bet, what fan wouldnt be after yesterdays debacle. my faith is unwaviering, but I must admit it seems like a bad idea do further the development of CK7 during a super bowl run, but like SHIP said, who are we to judge and be critical of coach harbaugh? for myself, I have gone to 49er games for 25 years, I havent missed a home game in 15 years, thats right,,15 years I have made EVERY SINGLE HOME GAME FOR THE 49ERS. I believe I have earned the right to be critical of our caoching staff when they make terrible calls. and that read option so close to our end zone with the lead,3 minutes and change to go in the game was one doozey of a blunder. I DO NOT BLAME CK7 FOR THE LOSS, BUT I QUESTION HIS JUDGEMENT ON MANY OF THE PLAYS RAN YESTERDAY. does he not have the green light to audible out of something called by coach roman? I saw kap struggle with audibels yesterday and it was un-nerving. whatever. the road to glory will be filled with adversity and heartbreak, making the upcoming super bowl victory even that much more enjoyable,

51. By Hmrhead1 on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

How can you say colin couldnt lead us back? Delanie dropped the go ahead td on a 98 yd drive. He then holds and forces us to kick a fg. Im not saying Colin played great but he made enough plays to win that game. We should stick with him. Special players make special plays. He’ll do that for us. I love Alex but he’s not special. Let Colin grow to close out the season and we have a legit shot at the title.

52. By Hmrhead1 on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

And yes Akers is killing us!

53. By 9erdog on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Kap: will be a good QB no doubt, but I still don’t go along with the QB change! What Alex has that Kaepernick does not have is NFL experience, also that Alex has a certain calmness about him, in the huddle and on the sidelines. And I think thats very important, maybe Kaepernick is to erratic, (maybe?) We were winning with Alex the only thing coach was changing was style,
    IMHO we need a more settling presents behind the center, I don’t think that Alex attempts to make that pitch`out? He more then likely would have taken a sack, AND would have been blasted for it??? I really don’t know just MHO ?

54. By dave g. on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

No one is saying its just the kicker but it is whats seperating us from the Atlanta Falcons. You look at their record and they have been winning even when a QB throws “5 PICKS”. Games are so close now that YES the kicking game can be a huge difference!!!!!

55. By dave g. on Dec 3, 2012 | Reply

Believe that and don’t under-estimate how different our record would have been last year if Akers does not make key kicks. I am unbiased on the QB really.