Aldon Smith Wins NFC Def. POW

Posted by Taylor Price on November 21, 2012 – 9:46 AM

The San Francisco 49ers now have two linebackers with NFC Defensive Player of the Week awards this season now that Aldon Smith has taken home Week 11 honors. Patrick Willis took home Week 4 honors after a 34-0 win over the New York Jets.

Now, it’s Smith’s turn.

The second-year linebacker recorded a career-high 5.5 sacks, seven tackles and two forced fumbles in a 32-7 victory over the Chicago Bears on “Monday Night Football.” Not only did Smith have the most sacks in the history of the nationally televised game, he now has the most career sacks (29) in NFL history through 26 games.

Smith’s 5.5 sacks were also tied for the fifth-most in a game since sacks became an official statistic in 1982. Smith is also the fourth player to record at least 5.5 sacks in a game and first to do it since 2007.

The 49ers linebacker continues to shine under the bright lights. He now has 10.0 sacks on Monday night and his 29 career sacks are third-most for an NFL player in his first two seasons behind Hall of Famers Reggie White (31) and Derrick Thomas (30).

Smith’s outlook on his role on the team was recently explained in a 49ers Gameday magazine cover story. In it, Smith discussed his passion for performance.

“I really love playing. I love my teammates. I love the situation I’m in right now,” Smith said . “Every time I’m on the field, somebody at the game it’s their first time ever watching an NFL game and I want them to at least remember me, remember my number and just remember what our team is doing, our defense.

“I want them to see the passion – that we are all about the game because I can honestly say that everyone I play with and everyone on this team really is passionate about football and playing for this team. If they could just get a little feel of that then I want them to enjoy it.”

Visit www.49ers.com/probowl to vote for Smith to make his first career Pro Bowl.

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “Aldon Smith Wins NFC Def. POW”

1. By 49thsamurai on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

In NFL history?? Wow that is very impressive. The kid is a beast hands down. Stats aside he is soooo much fun to watch. Maybe we need stats like this to show the league that my Niners are the best. In SF we all know we have the best team it’s time for the world to admit it to.

2. By Alan on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Colin has the hot hand right now. We in San Franthisco love a hot hand.

3. By Sione on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

This is the D from last season we all missed. The Smith bros dominating the front line. We need to have Aldon do his thing up front where pressure is consistently needed especially this week against Brees & co. We can’t allow Brees to have 3 seconds on every snap.

4. By jasonxflash on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

End Drew Brees streak on Sunday w/a W and the world will regonize us as the best team…Hand-Down….

5. By crabber59 on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

aldon smith was’nt he busted for a dui last off-season? He can be a HOF if he lays off the booze

6. By dnoblee on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

“He now has the most career sacks (29) in NFL history through 26 games.”

Remember, if you will, that last season Aldon did not get his first sack until game 7. That means he has 29 sacks in his last 20 games!

7. By shawn on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

had Aldon started game one in his rookie season, he wouldve had more sacks and had been rookie of the decade

8. By Jamesp on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

And the real good news is, Aldon is only 22 and will only get better.

9. By Eyeondball on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

The defense needs to put relentless pressure on Bress early.
    And often.
    This is a huge game against a now hot team.

10. By gayninerfan on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

Love the Hot hand on Colin. Go Gay area Niners!!

11. By Marquel Herron on Nov 21, 2012 | Reply

man that boy go watch out javon curs new hitter comin trew