• Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM PDT The Fiahtful Episode 1 "The Faithful" is a documentary series by 49ers Studios that is truly for the fans because it is the fans. Narrated by two-time Super Bowl champion Dwight Hicks, the show will take fans on journeys into the lives of the greatest 49ers stories that need to be told.

David Akers Addresses OT Miss

Posted by Taylor Price on November 15, 2012 – 10:41 AM

The life of a kicker in the National Football League is challenging to say the least. When you make your kicks – you’re the toast of the town. When you miss – people want answers.

David Akers, San Francisco’s All-Pro kicker, found himself in that position on Wednesday. Akers, one of the most accomplished kicker in NFL history, was asked about the 41-yard overtime miss in the 49ers recent 24-24 tie to the St. Louis Rams.

“The one on Sunday, I just tried to smooth the kick, not over-kick it and just kind of fell off the ball,” said the kicker who tied the league’s longest field goal record with a 63-yard make against the Green Bay Packers in the season opener. “When I do that, that’s why it kind of went left.”

Akers, the same kicker who broke the NFL’s single-season record with 44 made field goals in his first season in San Francisco, stepped up and addressed the media on the overtime miss.

Even with six uncharacteristic misses taking place this year, Akers still has made a field goal in every game of his 49ers career (a franchise record at 25 games).

Akers’ last make, a 33-yarder at the end of regulation, put the 49ers in position to play in overtime. But it didn’t seal a win.

“I had one that tied the game, stopped us from losing,” said Akers, shedding light on the full spectrum of emotions he experienced on Sunday. “And then the other aspect, when I had the opportunity to win the game, I didn’t come through.”

Akers takes a one-kick-at-a-time approach, but admitted he didn’t do what he needed to do at the time of his overtime attempt against St. Louis.

“Life’s a roller coaster in general,” Akers said. “The number one thing if I go out and kick or miss a kick, I don’t want it to effect the outcome of the game for my teammates, the organization and for the fans.

“You go from one high to a low and that’s not what you want to do as a professional and as a competitor.”

The six-time Pro Bowl kicker leads the NFC in Pro Bowl voting, but wants to continue putting his best foot forward in the remaining weeks of the regular season schedule.

“I want to win and I want people to feel good that I’m part of the team,” Akers said. “I feel horrible for doing that. It wasn’t by spite or anything like that. I’m trying my best and I can’t really hang my head because of that.

“I hope to get back on the horse and do a good job for the 49ers and the fans and my team.”

Game Pass: San Francisco 49ers

Tags:

12 Responses to “David Akers Addresses OT Miss”

1. By Sione on Nov 15, 2012 | Reply

It’s all good Akers! What matters is the next game. Let’s move on and forget about the last game. At least we didn’t come out with a L. 9ers 4 Life!!!

2. By REIFTHATHIEF on Nov 15, 2012 | Reply

It’s O’right.

DUST OFF.

LET’S RIDE!!!!!!

3. By George on Nov 15, 2012 | Reply

You got my vote Akers.

4. By phatalerror on Nov 15, 2012 | Reply

Alex Smith has been more productive in the red zone this year, and David Akers isn’t getting the in-game practice he got in 2011. It’s a good problem to have.

5. By BRAZ on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

Uh…NO, this the same scenario when Akers played for Philly, they let him go, we gave him a chance, Akers gave one good year, NEXT!

6. By Ray A. on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

David, don’t lose your confidence. I know it’s tough out there, but remember your not a rookie. You have many years of kicking. Show them your the BOSS out there!

7. By 9erdog on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

he’ll be fine ….. I think?

8. By Bender on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

I would like to say I have total confidence in Akers ability to make any pro level field goal and i used to but when a kicker is 7 for 13 on field goals 40 yards and up it might be time to bring some guys in for tryouts and either get Akers back on track or take his job

9. By Fabo on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

Akers was money last year. Don’t know what’s up with all the misses this year but I still have confidence in him in the 2nd half of the season. I still believe in you Dave but ya gotta hit it when the game is on the line. We got a SuperBowl to win this year and Akers is gonna have a crucial role in it.

10. By Jack on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

Hang in there Akers you are still the best around.

11. By Michael Magpatoc on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

you have courage and faith,do your best to try to score the field goal.

12. By John on Nov 16, 2012 | Reply

Listen David…I don’t need answers. I know you will come thru in the end. It was just one of those kicks. I know I couldn’t kick it 20 yds! You keep on kicking and playing as a team and we will be just fine holding the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the year.