Morning Tailgate: Nov. 7

Posted by Taylor Price on November 7, 2012 – 10:34 AM

You’ll be hard-pressed to find a mid-season awards list without members of the San Francisco 49ers.

Several 49ers were listed on mid-season awards released earlier in the week and continue to be named on recently released All-Pro teams from various media outlets.

ESPN.com’s respected NFL writer John Clayton took a break from rocking out to heavy metal music in his parents house and listed three 49ers among his mid-season All-Pro team, naming Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati and Patrick Willis on his first-team unit.

Davis and Iupati were also selected by NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah and ESPN.com’s Mike Sando’s All-NFC West team (along with several 49ers teammates). Sando listed four members of the 49ers offensive line on his first-team unit, with Jonathan Goodwin being left out. The 49ers center, however, received praise from Yahoo! Sports.

More on that in today’s Morning Tailgate.

Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle sums up the first half of the 49ers season with various awards of his own, including the most improved honor to cornerback Chris Culliver. Branch: “The No. 3 corner is showing strong signs of being a future No. 1. Soon. Despite playing 169 fewer snaps than starters Tarell Brown and Carlos Rogers, Culliver leads the team with 10 passes defended (Brown and Rogers have 10 combined). Quarterbacks have completed 38.9 percent of their passes when throwing in Culliver’s direction and have a 28.7 rating, according to Pro Football Focus. His standout season began, fittingly, with a game-sealing pass breakup against Jordy Nelson in a Week 1 win at Green Bay.”

Kevin Lynch of SFGate.com offers grades for the first half of the season, including high marks for strength coach Mark Uyeyama.

Doug Farrar of Yahoo! Shutdown Corner Blog shares his All-Underrated first-team offense, a unit that includes Iupati and center Jonathan Goodwin. Farrar on the 49ers center: “This may have been our easiest selection on offense. San Francisco’s schemes call on the center to make an enormous number of pre-snap adjustments, and block at multiple gaps and levels. Goodwin has been a complete force in the middle of the league’s most-improved offensive line, working at an elite level for a coach in Jim Harbaugh who does not tolerate protection mistakes.”

Nate Stuhlbarg of CSNBayArea.com shares a notebook from 49ers headquarters, including details on Joe Staley and Leonard Davis supporting “MO-vember.”

SI.com lists the 49ers Week 1 win over Green Bay among the gutsiest wins in the first half of the 2012 season.

49ers.com checked in with a re-charged Frank Gore, examined the hard-working ways of linebacker Ahmad Brooks, as well as checked in on the latest developments in the new Santa Clara Stadium project, including an interview with team President Gideon Yu.

TV49’S CLIP OF THE DAY

Hard work pays off.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 72 Comments »

72 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Nov. 7”

1. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

the new stadium is coming along so fast. I cant wait for the new diggs, but at the same time, I am soooooo goin to miss going to games at candlestick. my grandfather,my father and now myself grew up going to games at candlestick and there is alot of family history there. the one thing I wont miss at all how ever is how long it takes to get home after a candlestick game.,,,,,,2014 new stadium opens

2. By bow53 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

yep. i been going to the stick since the bill walsh, joe montana era, my uncle niner fan use to tag me alone all the time every any given sunday… thats why that place is a part of my life, but some how we have to move on,its a little bit far fr. where i’m at, but me and my wife won’t mind there still the 49ers….thats why i wish , we get one more S.B.. before we leave the stick, ” one more for the road for the mothership”

3. By mfkram64 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

lets get off the alex sh$$…its time to look ahead..niners r 6-2..have four really tough games three on the road..first in no order of when they play but the bears..nice if texans knock them off this week it will make them 6-2.. then niners get them at home…on road to new orleans no easy place to play..to new england again a real tough road game then seattle where niners have a tough time every year….remember last year niners got second seed u get a week off rest and watch your next matchup..it was huge last year they ended up with champ. game at home because of upsets…so lets set r sights on the next 8 games not on this alex sh$$!!!

4. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Every game is a step to the SB and its one game at a time, and we either get better each game or we get worse, one or the other!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

5. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

The hardest part of a football to come together is the offensive line, well we have the talent and they’ve had the time to come together 3 1/2 years. And if Alex still doesn’t have the time to take a 6-7 step back, then maybe its time to replace is it time to replace Offensive Line Coach Tim Drevno?

6. By mfkram64 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

when u look at it atlanta has a two game lead on niners with giants losing last week niners r one up on them.. they beat packers.. who by the way r hot so they have tie breaker with them so beating the bears does same..the niners hold serve they should get second seed again which to me would be great..first up r rams so take care of business and go 7-2 putting pressure on those teams fighting for that bye in playoffs…

7. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

When we get to the next level and play the likes of the giants, we will need to be able to throw the deep ball. Alex can throw deep but he needs some time like another QB, we should be able to do just that … throw deep and high and Moss will come down with the ball. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

8. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

” its time to replace is it time to replace Offensive Line Coach Tim Drevno?” Odd!

9. By bow53 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

now were talking sense, about this up coming game against the rams, this team gets off the gate quick and fast , but they choke in the end, i’m pretty sure the coaching staff already figure these out, one thing good about this game is where playing home plus to me the rams still on a rebuilding stage , my gut feeling will be alright in this game, i;m hoping everybody is gonna be injury free after this game, cuz’ i’m really, really looking forward the next game the monday night against chicago, i describe this game as a BIG TIME GAME, its a huge test for us.+ plus its another divisional important game…..we win here theres no stopping the 49ers fr. here on……

10. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Well how bout that, in the state of Washington a person can sit back in their home or where ever else they like, and fire up! I do feel sorry for the people in prison for doing just that!

11. By 11yearswithalex on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

kudos to the line for getting mentioned as well as anthony davis …he is a big boy and likes to be physical ….just needs to adjust better to stunts …..rams lol really after jackson gets stuffed they are done ………

12. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

53, yep! you are right, we have the talent to beat the Rams, but Fisher is another coach off the 9er tree and he know how to get his players for a game. They have a good D but I question their QB he seems to runs Hot and Cold IMHO!
    da Bears thats another story, what their Defense has scored 8 TD’s in as many games? … but one game at a time!
    Lets see if Roman opens it up a bit more?
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS

13. By 11yearswithalex on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

would like to see a little more of playbook as in better run set ups as well and more playaction …saveing it seems like a waste if you dont practice it in game time …..and yes the bears game is huge not only have to win convincingly but must win to keep position ….patriots game ouch have to score fast and keep drives alive for that game and keep the points up so our defense can go to town

14. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

“Certain NFL’ers think Harbaugh is overrated”
    I read this and thought What who the h_ll thinks that? Talk about misleading ,,, wow! heres the list!

Who is the most overrated head coach?

Rex Ryan, Jets 35

Bill Belichick, Patriots 16

Andy Reid, Eagles 9

Mike Shanahan, Redskins 8

Mike Tomlin, Steelers 4

Jeff Fisher, Rams 3

Jim Harbaugh, 49ers 3

Norv Turner, Chargers 3

Pete Carroll, Seahawks 2

Jason Garrett, Cowboys 2

John Harbaugh, Ravens 2

Six coaches received one vote

15. By 11yearswithalex on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

blah dont put eny effort into that …you can tell who is being coached good and who is not ….a list is just that a list of worthlessness…..

16. By 11yearswithalex on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

and shaun payton going to cowboys next season ….wow ….wow …really …we shall see how the bounties go down in texas

17. By bow53 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

what the hell happen,can’t get through…….

18. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

you mean Poof? happens to the best err rest of us!

19. By bow53 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

freaking server , sleep on the job…..

20. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

I really question our coaching staff, they are really good we all know that! But just the same, I have questions in the players they choose not to play. Hopefully we’ll see a change in players that get a chance. You don’t know what you have if you don’t give them a chance …. really!

21. By bow53 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

i agree dog, need to see jacob still in action……

22. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

Right: thats one of the players I was thinking of!
    Jacobs in da redzone ,,, yeah baby just score!

23. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

poof

24. By bow53 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

i rather see gore, jacob tandeem here,i’m not saying kendall is bad, but were talking about a veteran rb here + this guy has a ring to prove it, so i know and everybody knows that this guy is gonna be very productive…when use in plays…well i guess i’ll just wait and see, we need to utilze him some how….when???? i don’t know…..

25. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

wow, you guys lose faith in our coaching staff wayyyy too soon, y’all sound like bandwagon fans. now im not saying you are dont gettin your drawers in a wad, but give our coaches some slack, they have taken us this far, and you just know that coach harbaugh has a plan,,,all in good time,,,,,all in good time, we will see jacobs and others in the upcoming weeks im sure. saving the best for last and the healthiest,,has always worked well in this sport ,,,IN HARBAUGH WE TRUST
    remember??

26. By bow53 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

i guess ur right D. where still on top there, if ain’t broke don’t srew w/ it… right….

27. By 11yearswithalex on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

it appears that the coach is holding back some things we have lots of division games left and should see the playoffs i believe he is holding on to some of his stuff to whip it out at the right time

28. By 11yearswithalex on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

or for the better part he is messing with defensive coordinators heads …wilol this guy play will that guy play what will their rolls be …coach is a thinker and thinkers are always obscure

29. By 9erdog on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

bandwagon fans: please: I question Romans play calling, and guess what thats what this blog is for! Not sure why you think everybody should agree, you don’t get better with that. I doubt coach would want a bunch of yes men!
    and I trust in Harbaugh, but I question some of Roman’s play calling, thats all no biggie!

30. By stan man on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

9er dog… what r u talking about. getting rid of Tim Drevno.. First he has not been there the last 3 1/2 years.He came with Harbaugh and if you ask me they are a hell of a lot better since he has been there! The o line has improved in the past 2 seasons

31. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

yes 9erdog, badnwagon fans, complaining about the play calling when the team is 6-2 sounds like wagon fans, what didnt you read that I said I wasnt calling you guys bandwagon jumping fans and not to get your drawers in a wad. you take things wayy to personal and yes you can give your opinion, but if its a dumb one then you should expect to get called on it

32. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

your constant questioning of romans play calling is starting to sound like 11 complaing about alex all the time, and how does the team get better by fans agreeing or disagreeing? I am quite sure greg roman is a much better play caller than you

33. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

now, aside from all that. I think the play calling has been excellent when compared to the teams we were playing and what those teams strengths and weaknesses were. not everyone wants to see the ball chucked down the field more. some of us like hard core defense and power running.

34. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 7, 2012 | Reply

in 2011 the 49ers red zone td efficiency was ranked 30th and were ranked 31st in 3rd down conversions, this year we rank 7th in red zone td effcy. and 19th in 3rd down conversions. its clear that romans play calling has evolved along with the play of alex. so chill, give it a chance, when we start failing horribly, then we complain, but complaining right now about anything sounds like the eagles fans on the radio. we are 6-2, we have a 1 1/2 game lead in the west, and our working our way towards the #2 seed in the nfc

35. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

49erD: not sure why you feel you have to police this blog?
    but at least you are talking some football, which is much more interesting then ” FAKE A$$ FAKE A$$ FAKE A$$ FAKE A$$” Seems to me, that you say whatever you want. to whom ever you want, I think I have the same rights as you?
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

36. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Poof

37. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

9erdog, go f,cuk yourself

38. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

your always complaining like a little b, itch

39. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

and then you have a temper tantrum voting thumbs down on folks posts that you dont like personally, your a whiny little kid and a liar to boot or have you forgotten how you said you live in green bay then seattle and shall I go on, dont address me again, stick to your whiny,complaining about my team which is 6-2 and is tops in the leagues in many offensive catergories,, your complaining astounds me.

40. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

oh, you mean football talk like your comments the other day about smoking pot and guys in prison?

41. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

you have a thin skin, but the truth is I didn’t down thumb you!
    maybe you should ask J-11

42. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

remember loser. your the guy who said he was from green bay, then you lived in seattle. where you gunna be from next san diego?

43. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

your really like to go after other posters, eh?

44. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

no your the moron who took bandwagon fan personally when I said right out that I wasnt calling YOU AND BOW53 wagon fans,,,,your skin is thin and frail

45. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

and youve been doing for some time now

46. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

the best way not to be called an idiot is not to act like one

47. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

and myself and others know for a fact that you have 3-4 different screen names with which you post comments on this thread. I exchange emails with the people who run this site. I write articles for bleacherreport.com and I know about your many alter egos. I just cant bust you out them because I would be blocked I am told. so keep your lies to yourself, continue your complaining about a 6-2 team which appears headed for the #2 spot in the nfc playoffs. that, is what I mean by idiotic. what have you to complain about?

48. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

why don’t you just talk football ? ? ? when you do you make some good points! And when somebody post something you don’t care for, come back with facts. Then we can debate`em, thats what I thought this blog is all about? do you really believe we’re all going to agree?

49. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Nope just Basil and 9erdog, I’ve posted that! here you go again
    talk football! you know 9ers!

50. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

you said recently ” whats wrong with fans agreeing or disagreeing, thats how we get better “,,, do you even realize how stupid that sounds? how the hell do fans have ANYTHING to do with the growth and development of a team? see what I mean? a wise man once said, ” think before you speak, for if the words you say are supid or offensive in nature, you can be sure that others will point out just how stupid you have made yourself look or sound “

51. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

so no your saying the guys who run the website are liars as well huh?

52. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

your like the little child caught so badly in a lie he refuses to admit to it. no matter what,,,” its not true,,its not true,,” give it up liar, go back to talking your nonsense
    the best way to avoid me is to not address me, fool

53. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

9erdog, the guy who lives in green bay AND seattle, who posts comments on this thread with multiple screen names and when cuaght up in his lies denies them adamantly. what a piece of work.

54. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I did come back with facts, llook at what I posted for you about 3rd down conversions and red zone td efficency,,,but your too busy hating on me and complaining about greg roman

55. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

good god man, the ENTIRE league has been quoted how greg romans play calling and offense should be considered for head coaching duties soon

56. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I will go back to football talk for your benefit as well as others, but when I see a post or comment that is either stupid in nature or just down right ridiculous, I comment on it. the ONE THING we as 49er fans should be able to agree on is that we are 6-2 heading into the critical part of the season and regsrdless of how anyone feels about the play calling or anything else for that matter, its a mute point. we are kicking a$$ in so many offensive catergories that to me complaining about anything sounds like eagles fans or band wagon jumping fans and when I point out that im not calling anyone here on this thread that very thing you got your panties all in a wad, just like I figured you would, which is why I took the time to say I wasnt calling you and bow53 that very thing, but your disdain for me goes wayyyyy back,,,,obviously

57. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

you are a piece of work! with that being said, I’m not going to do this again! you don’t know squat! i’m sticking to football from now on! So Be It!

58. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I know your a liar for one

59. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

and a whiny a$$ little b, itch that complains about a 6-2 football team that has very little weakness

60. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

you scream for change, o-line coach, greg roman, your the one it seems who doesnt know squat

61. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

9erdog, the guy with 3-4 screen names, yet denies it. the guy who makes dumb a$$ comments. expecting that its ok to make ridiculous statements and not get called out on them. the very same guy who says I make some very good points about football and the 49ers,,,,then says I dont know squat,,,your sounding very confused,,maybe you should just quit while your wayyyyyy behind

62. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

yeah: sure he will be a head coach, and should get us DEEP into the playoffs! I don’t doubt that and questioning his playcalling is a game to game thing, but it does’t mean a lot! And you say he’s a better play caller them me, really? I’m laughing out loud! you got that right anyway! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

63. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

you said that Alex can’t doesn’t have the time to drop back 6-7 steps so to throw deep? Why not, there has the be a reason, is it the line, the line coach, like I said I believe we have the talent why aren’t they able to give Alex that protection? Last year we didn’t have the talent ‘WR’ we do this year!

64. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I said against the giants he didnt have time for a 3 step drop,,,,once again you have made another stupid comment

65. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

maybe you just shouldnt address me, for when you do, you lose your wit and post things so idiotic you make your self look really stupid

66. By bow53 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

alright guys calm down,this not to start the morning, were suppose to be sharing football comments here not argue beyond football…one post blown in diff.proportion,.now 9er has a point D.has point too, both of u said ur peace , we move on…at least 1 blogger here that i know tamed so far….

67. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

the Voice of reason! not a bad idea! I’m not even sure how we got all those post in, without a single Poof? interesting! seems like all the trash talk get through?
    Yes back to football talk!

68. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

agreed

69. By 49erdefense2012 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

I must admit, arguing with 9erdog is like arguing with my tailgate buddies. we debate and argue on just about everything 49ers, but when the foghorn sounds, its brothers in arms and into candlestick we go

70. By bow53 on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

i guess we need to wait 4 the next morn. tailgate , treat this page history…….

71. By 9erdog on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

49erD: yep I couldn’t agree more!
    This is the only place I get that chance ! And just too set it straight, I really do believe we have THE BEST coaching staff in the NFL.

72. By tanglung on Nov 8, 2012 | Reply

Can’t we just enjoy what the 49ers team is unfolding before our eyes.