Alex Smith Named NFC Off. POW

Posted by Alex Espinoza on October 31, 2012 – 10:05 AM

Good things happen when Alex Smith is in a rhythm.

The 49ers signal-caller showed that on Monday night, as he went 18 for 19 for 232 yards and three touchdowns to lead San Francisco to a dominant 24-3 win at Arizona. Not only did Smith set an NFL record for completion percentage (94.7) with at least 15 passing attempts, but on Wednesday he was named the NFC Offensive Player of Week.

“We’re always happy for the other man’s success,” 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman said on KNBR Wednesday. “We’ll always, as a team, honor those people who receive those awards. Well-deserved on Alex’s part, just a great performance.”

Smith benefitted from strong efforts by his wide receivers, especially Michael Crabtree and Randy Moss. Crabtree continually won his one-on-one matchups with Arizona cornerback Patrick Peterson, catching two red zone touchdowns as part of his five-catch, 72-yard performance. Moss added a touchdown of his own, catching a quick out route before making two defenders miss and sprinting for a 47-yard score.

Smith took advantage of all of his weapons, as Mario Manningham also picked up three first downs and Delanie Walker, Vernon Davis and Frank Gore each had big catches.

“Alex was very sharp playing quarterback,” Roman said. “He took it one play at a time, stayed very sharp. I think he had a real understanding of what the Cardinals were trying to do and was very good, very efficient with his reads, very accurate, and the guys made plays, the wide receivers made plays. That was great to see.”

Roman attributed Smith’s success to his relentless work ethic. Since Roman and Jim Harbaugh joined the 49ers before the 2011 season, Smith is 19-5, tied with Aaron Rodgers for the most quarterback wins in that span.

“Alex, one of the great things about him is how consistent he is and how he comes day in, day out and doesn’t get on the roller coaster,” Roman said. “He just came back to work and came in every single day trying to get better, understanding the gameplan.

“I don’t think he did anything extra special in his preparation – every week he’s really on. Just a really good performance at quarterback for him. When he plays like that, we can get this thing rolling pretty good.”

Smith was joined in the weekly NFC Awards by New York Giants safety Stevie Brown, the Defensive Player of the Week, and Green Bay cornerback Davon House, the league’s Special Teams Player of the Week.

OFFENSE: QB ALEX SMITH, SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

• Smith completed 94.7 percent of his passes (18 of 19) and threw for 232 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions for a 157.1 passer rating in the 49ers’ 24-3 win at Arizona.
  • He set an NFL record for the most passes in a game (19) without more than one incompletion or interception, besting the previous mark of 18 held by Pro Football Hall of Famer FRAN TARKENTON and CRAIG MORTON.
  • Smith’s 94.7 completion percentage is the highest single-game mark in NFL history (minimum 15 attempts). By comparison, STEVE YOUNG’s best single-game mark (minimum 15 attempts) is 93.8 percent (15 of 16) and JOE MONTANA’s is 84.4 percent (27 of 32).
  • Smith’s 157.1 passer rating is the highest of his career and, including the playoffs, the 49ers are a perfect 15-0 when Smith starts and has a 100+ rating. When Smith starts and completes at least 75 percent of his passes, the 49ers are 7-0.
  • In his eighth season from Utah, this is Smith’s first career Player of the Week Award.
  • He is the first 49er to be honored on offense since FRANK GORE in Week 14, 2009.

Tags:

38 Responses to “Alex Smith Named NFC Off. POW”

1. By jasonxflash on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Congats. to Alex Smith…

Now go get the SuperBowl MVP award…

Go A. Smith Go…!!!

2. By rjdniner on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

congratulations. Alex now go get your ring .

3. By iswordsman on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I know I know, all the stats were terriffic and all… so why do I have this sinking feeling every time he drops back, goes into his wind-up, stops, shakes off a couple of signs stares down his receiver and unloads. That’s IF he’s still standing (on pretty much the same spot) . I guess its all very well controlled and all but personally Id rather have a Steve Young back there scrambling and creating plays out of nuttin with an O-line less talented than Alex’s. C’mon guys when can I see some West Coast type first downs??? Oh, that would be TOLZIEN…

4. By iswordsman on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I know, I’m a freakin a-hole hater MF’er. NOT! This is an exalted team, one of incredible talent, probably more talented than any but the ’84-5 team. But will it get done what needs doin? Egregious that Steelers have more Lombardii, it aint right i tell ya. Nothing but a SB win should be acceptable from this incredible group.

5. By JJ on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

It racks my nerves too, because this is Alex’s first time since his leaving Utah and joining the 49ers that the spotlight truly is shining on him. He’s not used to it. He’s used to losing and people’s boos and constant hem and haws at why he is still the 49ers’ starting quarterback. The postgame interview after the cardinals game he looked so nervous yet at the same time ecstatic because he was finally being credited his ability as a quarterback. In MY opinion, he can and WILL win the superbowl this year, and the way he’s going to do is by understanding what confidence truly is. He SEES that he can make amazing plays, now he’s gotta BELIEVE he can keep making them.

6. By mullerfaithful49ers on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

iswordsman i do agree with u we should have a great chance at a superbowl and with the team we have we should get there but anything can happend just keep faith and hope and we should be fine remeber we are goin to have are up and downs no matter what we still have a few teams to battle yet this team in front of us ant no joke and we need to treat them like superbowl champs and beat them GO 49ERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

7. By detroitniner on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

all this negatism on alex still is funny. he has secind rate recievers crab cant shake a defensive back moss is slow maninghan ny gave him away get real here.
    how many times when he is sacked they pull away and no one is open?
    you want stafford ,brees,vick comon get a life

8. By LovMyNiners on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been going to Niners games since Kezar Stadium days (Frank Nunley, John Brodie, Gene Washington, etc) and I have to say that this is as good a Niners team as I’ve seen. Smith has a lot of similarities with vintage Montana. The ability to read the defense and make the smart play was Montana’s trademark. It’s taking Smith a while because he has so many weapons, it’s difficult to cultivate the right chemistry and trust level with each individual receiver. I think we have only seen the beginning of what Smith is capable of!

9. By mullerfaithful49ers on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

A huge credit goes out to randy moss for taking one to the house also come guys show this man some love alex is doin a great job the hole team is doin great keep up the great work guys

10. By benny on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

Alex is finally moving his feet in the pocket,aka. Peyton Manning.Look at Peyton ‘s feet whewn he is in the pocket.Smith has to learn that and stay with it.

11. By cody on Oct 31, 2012 | Reply

always keep an open mind.. the niners have a chance for the superbowl they just need to pull the offense line together, alex smith is getting sacked to many times(example: cardinals game) the second the defense puts pressure he makes the throw to the covered receiver and more often than not the receiver gets hit before they can reel the catch in. other wise he takes the sack and loses yards.

12. By MC33 on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Screeenname iswordsman. We know you’re really screenneame 11yrs with alex:

“shakes off a couple of signs stares down his receiver and unloads”
    “That’s IF he’s still standing (on pretty much the same spot)”
    “personally Id rather have a Steve Young back there scrambling and creating plays out of nuttin with an O-line less talented than Alex’s. C’mon guys when can I see some West Coast type first downs??? Oh, that would be TOLZIEN…”
    “I know, I’m a freakin a-hole hater MF’er. NOT”

You have o try harder then that. Your campaign against Alex Smith is falling down around you. You cannot deny his success any longer.

13. By Corey on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

I swear, If i see another so called 49er fan come down on Alex Smith again,
    ” I will look for you, ” I will find you,” and I will relocate you to Seattle or Arizona.
    Think back a few years and a few bad coaches ago, did you ever think that the
    49ers would be where they are right now? or where they were last season?
    I’m not going to list all the things that Alex has had to overcome, but it was a lot
    and he fought his way through it all…..like a Warrior.

So if you are truly a 49er faithful fan, THEN SHUT YOUR MOUTH ABOUT
    ALEX SMITH AND SUPPORT THIS TEAM!!!!

14. By SamoanGuy on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

If Alex Smith knew how to throw the ball away instead of being an idiot instead of taking sacks, his completion percentage would go down a lot. I know it’s better than an interception but when we are playing rel good teams like the Texans, we can’t afford to lose any yards. Alex needs to know when to give up on a play!

15. By temper11 on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

If he throws the ball away, these boards are filled with haters saying he needs to scramble and find the open man. If he scrambles and gets sacked, they say he needs to throw the ball away. If he goes 18 of 19 and breaks NFL all time records they say he didn’t throw the ball deep enough. Haters hate. It’s all they know. They don’t know football, they just know hate.

16. By PMT INC on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

18 OF 19! 232 YARDS! 3 TOUCHDOWNS! 0 INTS!

That about sums it up!

Congrats ALEX! You go boy!

17. By cody on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

honestly anyone who talks bad about alex smith is not 49er fan. its not his fault the d-line pushes trough to him and gets the sack. he cant help getting pressured by the defense and gets sacked. you maybe be right he needs to throw the ball. but the ball needs to be thrown to a single covered receiver that can slip away such as crabtree. if he throws it away then there is a bigger possibly of an interception. or frank gore needs to be helping the block instead of receiving. the O-line isnt getting the block done if he is getting sacked on almost every drive

18. By cody on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Alex has the power to make the explosive play all he needs to do is keep his confidence and we will be looking at one of the greats

GO 49ERS!!!!!!!!!!!

19. By ninerfanfromtonga on Nov 1, 2012 | Reply

Alex Smith is one of the great QBs in this league right now, and he will get even better. Haters on AS can go sack yourselves.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooo Niners!!!!

20. By iswordsman on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

And of course ANYONE who disagrees with you TEMPERPEDIC is a hater. I bet you flunked science dude, you dont even know what you are looking at let alone talkin about

21. By iswordsman on Nov 2, 2012 | Reply

Whoever said that Alex reminded him of Montana…WTF??? What, in pictures? They are NOTHING alike as quarterbacks. Field of vision, sensing the rush and scootin away, quickness of going through the progression, accuracy is close but it takes forever to fire. He is tougher than Montana ever was but that’s it.
    C’mon man, reality check…!!!

22. By MC33 on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

reality check. . . THIS quarterback won Off POW honors. Has the 4th highest rating in football while playing some great defenses. “He runs Harbaugh’s very system well”, Terry Bradshaw. Harbaugh clearly prefers him. Gruden has said great things about him. He breaks records that count like completion percentages and interceptions. He wins games in crunch time. What is the point of criticizing when those that by FAR know DRASTICALLY more than you ever would about football and the QB position say he’s progressing very well and they would want him starting on their team? Why bicker about release time or staring down receivers. We all see Aaron Rodgers or Eli Manning do some silly things. And about as frequently, because Alex Smith doesn’t lose games for the team any more than these others. In fact, Will wash quote for you, “Don’t play to win. Play not to lose.” Don’t be so silly as to fool yourself into thinking you know more about this game than all the above.

23. By MC33 on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

Bill Walsh not Will wash hahahahaha. That’s what I get for typing quickly :)

24. By 49erfaithfull on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

I admit I was hatin on Alex till I realized what he had been through with all the offensive coaches. Lookin at him now I see a totally different, confident quarterback. Even with the loss to the Giants ( which I think the fans in the stadium should not have chanted ” go giants”…losers) I feel he has played great! I have done a complete 180 and will now have FAITH that he can get the job done! Congrats Alex Smith!!!

25. By iswordsman on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

You have to score touchdowns PERIOD. Refs can call too much bullsh*t on the defense, its not enough to simply keep their score low.
    All you “expert quoters” only have to do 1,thing; LOOK AT THE GIANTS GAME. Duuhhh!!
    YOU HAVE TO SCORE TOUCHDOWNS DUDE!! End of conversation

26. By iswordsman on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

5 yrs from now or 10, Alex Smith will never be mentioned among the truly greats of the game. I LOVE the guy as a person and HOPE I’m wrong, but it will not happen.
    Tom, Drew, Payton, Eli, Aaron perhaps, not Alex, sorry.

27. By iswordsman on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

Now watch the REAL haters hate…

28. By iswordsman on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

bring it Corey, we got a little sumpin for you down here at Pendleton
    just sayin… punk-a**

29. By iswordsman on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

screename MC33
    run, dont walk, to the nearest dictionary and look up “paranoid”. Thats you they’re writing about pal. what are you about 20 something?? I had season tickets when you were still wetting your diapers pally. ever hear of an open exchange of ideas and opinions??? oh, I guess not

30. By MC33 on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

That’s all you have to say? :| I didn’t toot my own horn. Apparently there IS an age difference between us. What maturity. So I’ll reiterate what was said about this very subject by someone who knows more football than you, you spewing out “gobble, gobble, turkey” if you don’t see Alex Smith outputting high caliber quarterback play right now.

31. By MC33 on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

Bill Walsh Paranoid???!!! He is the one that said, “Don’t play to win. Play not to lose.” That’s what he taught Joe Montana and the rest of his 80′s team.

32. By Tony on Nov 3, 2012 | Reply

It is about time! Alex Smith is one hec of a Quarterback and have seen it for so long and believe in him and his abilityh. Great job Alex!

Go Niners and watch out for us.

33. By Leone Di Mare on Nov 4, 2012 | Reply

Niner Whiners! Some people never learn from a lesson even when its smack up the side of their face. How did the SF Giants win a World Series? TEAM WORK, sacrifice, heart, never say die. Where the hell were you guys? (I know what you’ll say, “I’m not a baseball fan.” Weak. If you’re a sports fan, you acknowledge the SF Giants TEAM accomplishments and bring the lessons learned to your sport of choice.) And who did the players and coaches and staff make sure they thanked for much of their success – the support of the FANS. Football is the most complicated and strategic sport in the world. Consequently, a win is ALWAYS a TEAM win. If you fans want to be on the TEAM, then show some heart and a never say die attitude. If you are looking for inspiration on where to find it, look to the SF Giants, or more appropriately, Alex Smith himself. There’s a great story of success being written by the SR 49ers and I don’t want to miss it. So let’s show some heart and will the 49ers to success by supporting them – win or lose. Or are you are afraid to show your heart to your team and the SF Bay area, because you just CAN’T TAKE the competition and the possibility of a loss? Will it hurt your feeeeeelings? (Gawd I’m tired of the whining.) If you don’t know what I’m saying, go talk to someone in the Black Hole in Oakland, or the Dog Pound in Cleveland. I’m behind Alex, not just because he’s just done something no other quarterback has ever done in the sport, but also because supporting Alex is supporting everyone on the TEAM. Go Niners and God Bless San Francisco!

34. By Jake on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

SInce SteveYoung left the Niners it has been a hard road. all the players coming and going and the coaches. When Alex came in and played for two years I was convinced that this was not our QB. The last season with Singltary I saw something about the Niners that made me open my eyes. I told my friends (you guys wacth!!) Than they dumped him and in came Jim. and just like life,there is always sunlight after the storm…it started to happen. and what I saw in the Niners was coming alive. Than Alex would make more mistakes,turn overs!
    The 49ers would have been in the last Superbowl if they did not have those fumbles from # 10 !! he killed us and single handedly stoped the Niners from going to the Superbowl. But thats Football! even now I see Alex a better QB! than last year, And guess what next season we will see Alex be a better QB. I think Alex is going to lead the Niners to the Superbowl. maybe this year and the next! the best thing about the niners is that for the next few seasons WE WILL BE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!! But I call it now!! 49ers and the Texans in the big Game. Think about it!! nobody since Frank Tarkinton has had a better raiting!! think about it!! Bret F,Joe M,Arron R,Dan M,Steve Y,Tom BRADY!!! all have played or still playing and never done what Alex has done. Bank on that!! Go 49ers!! let the Gold and Red SHine in the Sun……

Jake

35. By Jim on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

This 49er team is showing great promise, but they have also dropped a few games and some effort should be made to somehow improve the team further. They need to be able to overcome the Giants to enter the Superbowl. The entire 49er playbook of old is still not available, and Smith might not yet be able to do all of those plays. (Witness the double reverse botched twice last year in the Playoffs) What I think is UNSTOPPABLE is the Double Tight End Set, the Old A&B Divide Play from decades ago, and I wish Harbaugh would have that as a threat every down set, as it is good for an easy 15 yards at will.

36. By Corey on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

Hey iswordsman, I ll bring it…….along with my boys from NSW
    you better Watch who your calling a punk!….For the life of me I cant see how
    any 49er fan can be anything but proud and excited for this team.
    Stop comparing Alex to Steve and Joe, this is our team HERE AND NOW
    Stop your crying and whining about Alex and enjoy the ride towards the Superbowl or GET OFF THE BUS!!!

37. By iswordsman on Nov 5, 2012 | Reply

what a bunch of jive- a**. You da kind what dont llow nobody else a valid opinion cept it be like yo’s!
    Maybe you oughta go live in the Black Hole across the bay with that sh*t cuz thats just how they roll. over there. There’s a lot of backward places on this planet that love to think just like you. Open up your mind and try to actually learn something for a change. Truth: the man will NEVER wear a yellow jacket, sadly. Truth: you cant handle the truth
    PUNK A** HATERS is all you are, grow the f up
    Semper Fi mofo

38. By MC33 on Nov 6, 2012 | Reply

^^^THIS guy is demanding someone ELSE grows up :) . . . What a great laugh for the day. Thanks!