Morning Tailgate: Sept. 26

Posted by Taylor Price on September 26, 2012 – 7:59 AM

BOARDMAN, Ohio – I used to think Disneyland was the happiest place on earth. Maybe I was a pre-teen at the time, but as of Wednesday morning, my opinion has officially changed. That’s because a group of 49ers reporters (Cam Inman, Matt Barrows, Eric Branch, TV49’s Scott Kegley and myself) all jumped in a car and headed to the most wonderful place on earth – The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Where do I begin on this…

Let me see, the anticipation of driving up to the Hall of Fame was exciting in its own right. But once you pull up to the building and see the exterior (the same one you’ve seen on television for all those years) it hits you right then and there, this is a place unlike any other.

Joe Horrigan, the Hall’s Vice President of Communication and Exhibits and all of his staff members were more than accommodating to us on our visit. Upon entering the “bust room,” Matt Waechter, the Hall’s website coordinator, found us immediately and showed us the most amazing artifacts in the archive room.

From rare helmets, to unique game-worn cleats, to the first ever pylon used in NFL history, to Pat Tillman’s travel bag – there was history all over the room. 49ers.com’s photo gallery showcased some of the rare sights in the room and other 49ers-related images littered throughout the shrine to pro football’s proud history.

All the beat writers further documented their experiences, a must-read for die-hard football fans.

Inman shared the experience through a storify report, recapping his posts on social media. A highlight was the lunch photo of Taggart’s Ice Cream, a lovely Canton eatery that’s been in business since 1926 – 20 years before the San Francisco 49ers were even founded.

By the time we got back from lunch to finish seeing the rest of the hallowed grounds, the Hall of Fame staff notified us that David Akers’ NFL record-tying, 63-yard field goal ball was prominently displayed in the players of today section of the hall.

I also couldn’t help but hook Jerry Rice up with a 49ers New Era hat. Don’t worry, I held it up over Rice’s head, would never disrespect the bust itself.

Barrows shared some of the rarest things we discovered in the archive room and touched on the newly created Ralph Wilson Jr. Research and Preservation Center that features photos and publications from all throughout NFL history – including the team’s first ever game program from a 1946 loss to the New York Yankees. Barrows: “Some of the best stuff, however, isn’t on display. It’s in storage in the basement, which – special thanks to the Hall’s Matt Waechter – we were able to visit. On one of the shelves is a folded up piece of green carpet. Oh, that’s the section of turf from Three Rivers Stadium on which Franco Harris made the Immaculate Reception.”

Branch shares his personal ties to the Hall of Fame and what it meant to finally make it to Canton. Branch: “As a child, I worshiped Tony Dorsett and the moments when the sermon ended, my dad ferried us home and — glory, glory, Hallelujah! – the voice of the pastor was replaced by Pat Summerall’s. True story: At 8, I watched the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game in its entirety (final score: Packers 0, Chargers 0). Thirty-two years, a wife and two daughters later, I arrived in Canton and was transported back to a time when I pulled tube socks to my knees and was riveted by scoreless preseason ties.”

Kevin Lynch of SFGate.com shared the latest updates on the new Santa Clara Stadium progress. A stunning photograph was also included in the report. Lynch: “While the media was there, a large section of escalator was swinging into place in the west suite tower. (Project Executive Jack) Hill said the project is on target and so far he has avoided major hiccups. A Dallas native, Hill oversaw the construction of the Cowboys stadium. Now he’s hoping for a dry winter.”

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com explains that NaVorro Bowman leads the NFL in tackles, a subjective statistic.

TV49’S CLIP OF THE DAY

This year’s team is already represented in Canton.

Tags: , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 26 Comments »

26 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Sept. 26”

1. By eastcoast9ersfan on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

test?!

2. By bow53 on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

my main guy navarro bowman leads the nfl in tackles, i’m pretty sure were well prepared come sunday to meet the circus in town (jets) i’m confident that we won’t be a flat team again like last sunday, and will be alright….

3. By garygolfer on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

11: just read your post on 25th. seems to me you didn’t watch game but relied on stats in the papers for your opinion. yes the ol had a large blame along with the rest of team. you keep forgetting this is a team game.

4. By rjdniner on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

Gary golfer, I enjoy his post, it’s like this if someone were to throw him off the golden gate bridge the fish would throw him back .

5. By abrahamer on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

By bojiboy72 on Sep 26, 2012 |
    Great!!!!! More receivers that won’t make a difference!!!! A team can have quality Wr’s, however it doesn’t matter when they don’t throw to them. They need to throw deep. Give a reaon to make other teams respect the deep ball. Right now there is none. There is no deep ball threat. Teams are going to continue to stack the box because the team doesn’t throw a deep ball! Case in point, Minnesota!!!!

awesome advice you should be a raiders fan, and this isnt madden 2012 sorry no team in the nfl will just give you yards outa fear of throwing the ball deep,hasnt ever worked for the raiders has it ?

6. By 11yearswithalex on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

frak really make me and others go through all that garbage to sign up and still cant get the posts to post …..great job hope you guys are not the ones who will be doing the new stadium …bunch on hacks …get a new job in the parking lot ….you have one thing to do and that is to make sure that the posts go up ….wow must be nice to get paid and not have to perform ….must all be related to alex ……

7. By 11yearswithalex on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

lol and that one goes through …figures …they must like the abuse like alex does when he gets blasted instead of throwing the ball away after a busted play …..hacks

8. By 11yearswithalex on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

lol and that one made it too …too funny

9. By abrahamer on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

besides that if a defense lines up 10 yards off ur wr’s and keeps thier safties back you should throw or run in front of them and always take what they give you first,dont throw deep when a defense is playing back cuz u are playing right into their hands, look at all of the past 49er sb teams or even all of the sb teams period and this isnt madden 2012 !!! its the nfl minus officiating !!!

10. By ninerfanfromtonga on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

all that just to post in here….lol.

I can’t speak for anything which happen in the game against the Vikes, I couldn’t even follow the game. It was on at 6am here on a Monday. When I got up, the game was on the two min warning with the score of 24-13…I was hopeful with all the fumbles and recoveries late in the fourth qtr, but it ddin’t help out in the final outcome. I can only guess that our team wasn’t playing up to their normal high intensity level. The stats spoke loudly to this fact.

Anyway, lets look forward to a much better game with the Jets. Lets hope we take out our frustrations on them and never look back.

Gooooooooooo 49ers Gooooooooooo

11. By abrahamer on Sep 26, 2012 | Reply

wait no they are back refs just signed 8 year deal i think,will be on thursday ?
    ravens game ?

12. By rjdniner on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

Abrahamer. OK, try this on, your talking about no deep ball threat well lets do this, set Alex down start Kap and see if he’s able to change the play at center we all know he can throw the deep ball but is he ready for it, and then you have this problem sports media people making a huge story out of the decision that Harbough has made, and all the questions well resurface about Alex, and everyone well have a field day talking about it. Now if we win this game with Alex everything could be ok, but if we lose, we’ll never hear the end of it. Me I would like to have Alex get use into the playoffs. GO 49ER, S

13. By abrahamer on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

i was quoting that other clown

14. By abrahamer on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

i believe in alex smith # 11 i wear that jersey on sunday

15. By bow53 on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

11 is a joke, just like the replacement ref. thats why there history now, i hope that goes for 11 too………what ever happen to ur other name jer?? for all i care….

16. By rjdniner on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

49er jerseys are not really common were I am at and besides I rather wear any of the O.LINES # that, s what I like to watch during a game ….

17. By rjdniner on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

Bow53 Are you jumping ship or running scared because of one game true fans stay with a team no matter what , and now in response to my post your going to try and tell me something that I haven’t heard before , or maybe not .

18. By 9erdog on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

gary: see that J-11 just had to come say hello too the Trolls,
    its no 9er fan we can see that ……

19. By bow53 on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

rjdniner no way i’m jumpin ship nor i’m scared about this buzo, check out my ist post second line…like i said i’m not worried about the game this sunday cuz’ will be alright….

20. By rjdniner on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

BOWER.53 SORRY AND PLEASE EXCEPT MY APOLOGY….

21. By 9erdog on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

bow: man you had me confused Thought you were talking Alex ’11’ but after rereading your post I got right!

Well myself I going with half full on our loss. maybe we needed it, too bring us back to earth? That if we aren’t ready to play at our very highest level we can, we’re gonna get clocked!
    Because other teams are waiting for us. And like I have said the NFC-W is no give-me, (maybe the new Black and Blue) even the Rams are better, Fisher is a Good coach and will have them playing the best they can, with the talent they have.
    If we make a mistake they can capatialize on it.

On any given game day we can get beat, but at the same time we have the talent to beat any team we play.
    No one individual player wins a championship its a total team effort, and by total team I included the coaches. They install the game plan, and its the players job to carry it out, and the coaches make the game adjustments. total team effort!

No team in the NFL should look forward to playing an NFC-W team, you come out here to play we’re gonna take your lunch away, and you’ll go home hurting ……
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINBERS!

22. By 9erdog on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

before you come at a poster READ all the post!

23. By rjdniner on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

Well at least if there’s a misunderstanding on this blog it doesn’t affect a game.
    Everyone take care

24. By bow53 on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

apology accepted dude.. where in one boat here…..my bad too, i should have wrote j-11( the buzo)…

25. By 9erdog on Sep 27, 2012 | Reply

yes we are the 9er Trolls, thanks you J-11 I love that Moniker !

26. By abrahamer on Sep 28, 2012 | Reply

wait im a 49er troll too and if you read what i posted i was quoting bojiboy72 who must be a rader fan to say such nonsense about us