Morning Tailgate: Aug. 23

Posted by Alex Espinoza on August 23, 2012 – 10:47 AM

Anthony Davis and Mike Iupati are more than teammates. They’ve become fixtures on the 49ers offensive line since being drafted in 2010 and have formed a brotherly bond in their two-plus seasons in San Francisco.

Heading into 2012, Davis and Iupati are benefitting from their first true NFL offseason together. Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com discussed the two young linemen and their high expectations for the season.

“This season,” Maiocco writes, “the 49ers fully expect to receive full dividends from Davis and Iupati as first-round picks because of the large amounts of mental and physical preparation time they’ve finally been allowed.”

Today’s Morning Tailgate also features headlines on Jim Harbaugh’s inspiring coaching style, the latest news from Training Camp presented by HP and more.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee analyzes Harbaugh’s coaching methods and how it has affected players throughout his career on the sidelines. Barrows: “To sports psychologists, Harbaugh’s style is known as positive coaching, and they see it as part of a movement away from the traditional, profane, in-your-face style symbolized by coaches such as Bill Parcells, Jon Gruden and Bill Cowher.”

Kerry J. Byrne of Sports Illustrated takes a statistical look at the 49ers and keys for their continued success in 2012: “The 49ers were No. 1 last year in Bendability, our measure of defensive efficiency, and No. 2 in Scoreability, our measure of offensive efficiency. No team played smarter football.”

Gil Brandt of NFL.com singles out players for each NFC team who are being looked upon for big seasons. Brandt: “Randy Moss, who still has great speed and receiving ability, seems to have landed in the perfect situation.”

Cam Inman of the Bay Area News Group writes that Chris Culliver will be unavailable for Sunday’s preseason game in Denver. Inman: “With Culliver sidelined, expect to see more of cornerbacks Tramaine Brock, Perrish Cox, Anthony Mosley and Deante’ Purvis.”

Barrows passes on his latest observations from Training Camp and discusses the upcoming matchup between Denver linebacker Von Miller and Davis: “The competition between Miller and right tackle Anthony Davis will be particularly interesting.”

Maiocco answered questions from the 49ers Faithful in his latest mailbag, discussing Alex Smith, Demarcus Dobbs and more. Maiocco: “Alex Smith will take the occasional shot down the field, but he’s going to check it down and take what’s there. That’s how he made it through 18 games last season (including the playoffs) with just five interceptions.”

Set your DVRs.

Tags: , , ,

28 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Aug. 23”

1. By bow9ers53 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

protection, protection, thats the key, so,alex can deliver properly to where the ball is suppose to be ‘END ZONE BABY” whats up 11 or jerome waiting for ur oppose post….

2. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

really …..o-line excuses allready ….figures …start the alex got a bad deal (80 million dollars) band wagon up again ……..it is his to lose and everyone is saying that alex will be check down boy again this season …so you can expect that randy moss will not stand for that and sit the bench …….so much for weopons when the QB refuses to throw down field

3. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

same old alex ….he is a coach killer and players as well who have hitched their wagon to alex have gotten nowhere ……..alex continues to throw behind players because he telegraphs and cant read the zone ….as well as over throws on wide open receivers …unexcusable ….as far as me …but the niner march on in hopes the defense and special teams can out shine alex for anotehr season

4. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

denver game should be nice ….payton trying to route our D and alex being shown up by a better QB

5. By bow9ers53 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

mark this day 9-9-12 , 3 touch down that alex is gonna do at green bay,….and then i’ll talk to u by the next day, got it 11…..

6. By rjdniner on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I’ve been talking about that for the last 3 months were you been or haven’t you seen my posts about the importance of the 5 guys up front and the backups that may have to step in, if one of them get’s hurt . Am not sure who that could be am hoping Leonard Davis.

7. By gary potter on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

11: read the sf chronicle about AS. your negative remarks is wearing thin. you are the coach killer. sad that you have no faith in coach JH.

8. By #1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

11 IS NO 49ER FAN HE JUST LIKES COMING ON HERE AND RAZZING EVERYONE CUZ HIS RAIDERS ARE HORRIBLE AND HAVE BEEN SINCE THEY GOT RID OF GRUDEN

9. By #1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

11 you post as though you are at every practice, you are THE ONLY ONE, who doesnt think alex is improved, he has shown it, to us REAL fans, the local media ,and now the main stream media,all say that alex smith looks much more improved with his mechanics,,reads,progressions,and accuracy,,you sir, are a f,uckin,g a,ss,hol,e

10. By Spokaneninerfan on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

11 years has never played the game of football. Everytime he opens his mouth dumb falls out. I have always said if i win the lottery one day I would have a driver take me to cash the ticket in so that i did’nt wreck going there. Thats exactly how I feel about our Niners. I hope no injuries get us before the BIG GAME! This team is locked and loaded at every position except QB. I hope we dont lose Alex. He is set to have a pro-bowl year. Also look for Tolzein to take the #2 sopt from Cap at some point. That guy can ball! He looks like Drew Brees when he was young. He’s not ready to be the guy yet but he will develop into a stud one day.

11. By #1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

and dont come back at me with how you dont need to use that kind of language,your posts make you out to be just what I said

12. By bow9ers53 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@D-FENSE, i believe ur right, 11 is a raider fan, anyway there moving to l.a. soon , after the stadium is build down there,it fits them , a gang infested city…

13. By Basil on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

“http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/29/4015289/alex-smiths-college-coach-talks.html”
    What Meyers had to say about Alex as the 9ers QB ….

14. By Ojay on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

11: I’m saying and going to keep saying, that 11 years is not a Niner fan. He is a hater, the coach killer and needs to be banned from the post. AS and the Niners will do great things this season. We are not showing everything in the preseason on offense yet.

15. By trob0 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Whoever controls this site should ban 11 immediately. Saw what you want about Alex, but when he starts proving everyone wrong don’t go jockin him like you believed in him from the start. This is how I look at this year….Offense: IMPROVED…..Defense:STILL THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE….Special Teams: STILL THE BEST IN THE LEAGE….Coaching: STILL THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE…….RESULT?????? SUPERBOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. By Basil on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I’m a big fan and Alex is da MAN!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

17. By cshack1 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

I think that Alex Smith stole “11 years” girlfried in High School, or better yet dated the girl that 11″ years” was stalking and never had a chance with in the first place. Just an observation, way to much QB venom.

18. By jeromy on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

leprechauns & tinker bell & unicorns & santa clause & Alex is an Elite QB & tooth fairy & easter bunny………….. you just have to believe!!

19. By ace on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

watch the video,

and tell me alex smith, didnt do a great job last year,smart playing quarterbacks win superbowls, um ask JOE, GOOOOO NINERS !!! ALLTHE WAY!!!, and f.u..ck san jose and santa clara

20. By ace on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

by the way they are stealing the 49ers at the worst posible time and nobody seems to care why ?

21. By ace on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

so go see the niners at the stick while you still can, i mean if ur a fan of this team in this city,and i find it truly offefensive to read the local media saying that the fan base of the 49ers is really from the south bay so it benefits the team to move, um 2 words f.u.c.k y.o.u, born and raised in the city and ur telling me to call the niners from santa clara, sorry i still call army street army street

22. By dave g. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Eleven: Have you seen your beloved Peytons numbers? I know you gonna say preseason. Yeah….you will always jump on the side appropriate to hating Alex. And Jeromy, nice attempt at wittiness! Too bad it was lame yet again. A piece of turd has more originality than you. You and Eleven have been copying and pasting the same nonsense over and over again. The funniest part is you actually think you know what you talking about? How is your Matt Flynn doing by the way with all the $$$? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! LOOOOOOOOSERS!

23. By #1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

@ ace,I feel ya bro, I hate the fact that we SAN FRANSICANS are losing the 49ers, man it doesnt seem real that after all the 49ers games I have been to when grand-dad,had the season tickets,then dad had them, and now I have them,that there is only 2 more years left of playing @ ‘THE ‘STICK<<
    @ DAVE,VERY WELL SAID DUDE, AND THE MATT FLYNN SARCASM IS SPOT ON

24. By dave g. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Matt Flynn aka Kevin Kolb aka Charlie Whitehurst. Its funny how these “QB experts” throw out words like a parrot hearing commentators on TV and regurgitating words to attempt to sound like they are really in tune with QB’s but all they do is jump on the flavor of the month cuz he had a few good games as a backup. Then when their “expert evaluations” come crashing down they choose to act like it was never said. What a bunch of freaking clowns! HAHAHAHAHA!

25. By dave g. on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

Yeah lets just abuse the hell out of the phase “check downs” and presto, “I am a QB expert and I know more about QB’s than a coach who played for 14 years in the NFL”! I am Eleven and I have an eye for QB potential by jumping on flavors of the week and repeating words that sound like a QB evaluator. Dude, you abuse the phrase “Check downs” worst than Jeromy abuses recycled, unoriginal, weak blogs! Man you two fools are laaaaaaaaaaaame. HAHAHAHAHA! You dumb@ss’s crack me up!

26. By rjdniner on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

Ace. That video was outstanding thank you .

27. By Basil on Aug 24, 2012 | Reply

ace, Born and raised in SF and love my 9ers. BUT they left SF when they moved out of Kezar, and 9er HQ has been in Santa Clara for how many years now? The fan base in SF had a lot to say about this move ‘IMHO’ Maybe the half full side of this is that for some reason they (the powers that be) want yet another NFL team in LA. I’ll take Santa Clara over that move, if that ever happened ……. I’d hurt myself!
    Jed has promises that they will always be the San Francisco Forty Niners, and he hasn’t lied to us yet!
    Da Stick is falling apart, hunters`point is a toxic wasteland, only thing would be to rebuild at Da Stick? but the where is not the not the problem, the problem is the pesos.
    ace I don’t like to see this happen, but as long as they have SF on the helmet I can sleep at night, if that changes I’m through with the NFL.
    This is just how this man feels about this, and I understand and respect any and all other fans feeling about this move, but other then that its out of our hands.
    But wouldn’t it be great for a couple more SB wins at Da Stick?
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

28. By NinerFanFromTonga on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Ace…..I feel for you my fellow 49ers fan. As a resident of the south bay peninsula, Sunnyvale, I am happy that the Niners will be having games in Santa Clara starting in 2014, where I will likely make a ten to fifteen minute trip for the games. At the same time, I have enjoyed my times making the trip up to the Stick for me first, and with my young family as it grew. I will never accept any ideas of the Niners ever changing it’s name from San Francisco 49ers to anything else. That is the brand that represent my love for the team. The city of San Francisco will always be the face of the 49ers for me. After that, I don’t care where the games are being played, as long as it’s within the vicinity of the City of San Francisco and it’s fan bases. Hell, I’ll go to Sactown to watch the games if the organization builds a stadium there that fits this great organizations financial needs. I’m with Basil in first accepting the fact that there will be a move, and to root that the Niners will win two SBs at the Stick before moving south.