Aldon Smith Returns to Practice

Posted by Taylor Price on August 21, 2012 – 2:13 PM

The 49ers had several banged up players return to Monday’s practice, most notably starting outside linebackers Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks.

In his weekly Tuesday interview with The KNBR Morning Show, Jim Harbaugh said the numerous returns were a result of the injured players staying in Santa Clara over the weekend to receive treatment while the team flew to Texas to face the Houston Texans.

After re-joining teammates on Tuesday, more than a week after suffering a bruised hip against the Minnesota Vikings in the opening preseason contest, Smith was still experiencing soreness in his injured hip.

However, Smith sounded optimistic about returning to game action soon.

“I wasn’t walking, now I’m walking,” Smith told reporters in front of his locker. “We’ll see what happens next week.”

After joking that the injury was really bothering him, Smith quickly let the media know he was kidding.

“I’m healing up fast, I’m on track so I’ll be good,” he said.

Following a rookie season that saw him record a team-leading 14.0 sacks, Smith understands the importance of getting opportunities in the preseason. Coming into his sophomore campaign, Smith will transition to an every-down role as a starting outside linebacker.

So while Smith’s working to rejoin the starting defensive huddle before the regular season begins, he’s also optimistic about getting preseason reps, whether it is this week against the Denver Broncos or in the preseason home finale against the San Diego Chargers.

“I think everybody needs playing time, reps are everything,” Smith said. “If you can get better, why not?”

While Smith’s movement is being hampered, he’s still able to develop his understanding of Vic Fangio’s defense and what’s being asked of him as a starting linebacker.

If Smith’s unable to play this week against the Broncos, he’ll have to settle on observing Denver’s second-year pass-rusher and close friend, Von Miller.

“I know Von, that’s my homeboy,” Smith said of the No. 3 overall pick who edged him to win the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year award.

Both first-year standouts competed against one another in college where they formed a mutual respect for one another in competitive Big-12 matchups. When the two crossed paths this offseason, Smith couldn’t help but trade a few barbs.

What did Smith say exactly to Miller?

“I got more sacks than you, bro.”

The comment, said in fun, was also out of respect. Smith appreciates the competition among the top pass-rushers chosen in the 2011 NFL Draft.

“I was happy for him, he got the award. We talked about it before the season started and he accomplished what he wanted to do and I think I did, too,” Smith added. “We’re both pretty happy with what happened.”

Tags:

17 Responses to “Aldon Smith Returns to Practice”

1. By MexicanNinerFan on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Hes going to become a star linebacker! GO NINERS!

2. By bow9ers53 on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

nice to know that aldon is alright , hoping for brandon & la james to be the same….get ready for the regular season to start..

3. By alex_fn_smith on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

thank god…im not putting down the rest of our defense or anything…not in the least,but sometimes,a player comes along that was just that missing ingredient…and that player is aldon smith….we n e e d that man. be careful out there!

4. By ronnielott42 on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

if u take our rushing yards plus our yards allowed by the defense and multiply those numbers by four quarters it equals over 300 yards rushing per game while only allowing about 200 yards of offense per game with equals 13 plus wins this year…..GO NINERS

5. By Montana2Rice4Ever on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Actually that player was Patrick Willis, but I love me some aldon smith too. Patrick completely changed the face and attitude of our defense. Who’s gonna run on us? NOBODY

6. By Montana2Rice4Ever on Aug 21, 2012 | Reply

Also I see that you’re highlighting the fact that we have a good running game and a great defense, but where doe that math fit in? We didn’t average nearly 300 rushing yards. Nobody did. That would almost certainly be a record, and we were 8th in rushing. Why not just say we rule!?

7. By rjdniner on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

OK LETS TALK ABOUT THIS, somebody tell the world what’s so cool about not wearing hip, knee, and thigh pads during a game.

8. By rstar21 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

@rjniner…. the pads restict movement and no wearing them also makes you lighter…

9. By rstar21 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

restrict*

10. By #1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

yup,no pads make you lighter,quicker,and faster,and it also enables you to get hurt in places that you wouldnt have if you had been wearing the proper padding.
    the league is so high and mighty on player safety it befuddles me that they dont dont make full padding MANDATORY!!!,,,just my opinion

11. By #1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

and I have said this before and I will say it now, coach fangio WILL NOT replace parys haralson with aldon smith as the full time starter untill the kid shows that he can be every bit effective against the run as parys is. at this point I dont think that aldon is there yet. parys has been in the league 7 years now and its going to take more than spot duty from aldon to replace one of the top 5 run stuffing OLB’s in haralson. in my honest worth-less opinion,parys is the TOP reason why we are so good against the run. the guy sets the edge hard and allows willis and bowman to run around like maniacs hitting and tackling EVERYTHING

12. By rjdniner on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

rstar 21 Sorry I just don’t buy that, Hey 1def I do believe there going to have to wear the pads starting next year that statement came out the same time that they introduced the new uniform and I believe some players have already voiced there displeasure about it.

13. By djp on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

The Niners D will be in beast mode this season. Go Niners!

14. By kesey's venison chili on Aug 23, 2012 | Reply

god the preseason is like navagating a freakin minefield,just hoping and praying that nobody gets hurt- 2 games in and we’ve already got a banged up aldon, brandon and lamichael, three major pieces of this team. let’s just hope we make it to green bay intact, because if we are healthy, the pack goes down hard….

15. By Sosa Ned Flanders on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Whooo Im Glad He’s OK

16. By NinerFanFromTonga on Aug 26, 2012 | Reply

Its not a matter of whether if it’s cool or not, but rather its a matter of protection. The NFL is the toughest game being played on the planet at the present….bar-none. Some can make arguments about other sports as being tough, but IMHO, there is no game out there tougher. I have played Rugby and it is a very, very tough game to play, but playing American Football is tougher, and I have been thankful for the use of pads, especially around the waist, knee and thighs as well as shoulder pads. Without them to take away some of the impacts, we’ll be seeing more body bags lugged into the fields for guys getting hurt. The hits are unmatched even in Rugby. Other sports can be cool and hip without pads, but in the NFL, please put them on, you are not considered a sissy for having them on. Sure it restricts moments, but thats only a minor point to the more important one which is good health, and long life.

17. By Stefan Huntley on Aug 30, 2012 | Reply

I believe Aldon Smith will be one of the greats and will help a new dynasty be born in San Francisco. Aaron Rodgers better watch out Sept. 9th, because #99 is ganna get him!!!