Morning Tailgate: Aug. 15

Posted by Taylor Price on August 15, 2012 – 9:25 AM

The ball rarely touched the ground at Tuesday’s 49ers training camp practice. Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick had strong showings passing the football throughout the afternoon session.

The impressive display was the best passing performance ESPN.com NFC West blogger Mike Sando has seen all training camp from the four teams in the division. Because of the deep passes Smith completed to new wideouts Randy Moss and Mario Manningham, Sando believes the 49ers offense can showcase more of the passing game in 2012.

More 49ers headlines can be found after the jump.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com noted that Smith started the day 24-of-25 on his pass attempts.

Maiocco also shares Jim Harbaugh’s comments on Kaepernick emerging in the race to be the team’s No. 2 quarterback.

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee writes that linebacker Eric Bakhtiari is making the most of his opportunities.

Barrows also takes a look at Konrad Reuland’s nickname: The Garbage Man.

49ers.com’s #Camp49 coverage included a practice report, a blog on the team’s quality quarterbacks, stories on Patrick Willis and Vernon Davis, plus a video on the defense’s pursuit of perfection.

Rookies continue working to find their spot on the roster.

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 15 Comments »

15 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Aug. 15”

1. By Hermie on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

I am really psyched about this years team. I was thinking back over the last decade and how the front office didn’t seem to give a s*hit about winning and not addressinig the needs of the team. Wow, what a change of mindset the last couple of years. One of our biggest needs a couple of years ago was the O-line which they addressed. Then D-backs were of major need and they addressed that. This last year we saw a big need at WR and they went out and addressed that.

We definitely have all the pieces in place, so it is exciting to hear the QB position is looking very good. I was never sold on Alex, but in the first pre-season game he looked very good in his short stint at QB. I am feeling better now that if something happens to him, we have somebody that can step in and win games. I am starting to eat my words of years past about Alex, but I haven’t swallowed yet!!

2. By greg K on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

I too, am excited beyond description for this team and sooo look forward for the season to get underway! I think Smith will silence his critics and put to rest any notions of his being a bust. Given the lack of supporting cast and or talent surrounding him early on, I feel he has beaten the odds. I don’t believe even the likes of Brady, Brees, or Rodgers would have found success with the team that Alex began his career with. Another Lombardi is so within reach for this team!!!

3. By Isaac on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

This season will be great. Alex Smith hasn’t always played well, and I won’t say it has always been the fault of coaching or supporting cast, but he has played well when needed. It is easy to overlook a comeback loss when it is a loss (ie 2009 ‘comeback’ vs Texans. Hill was benched at half-time with the score 21-0 Texans. Alex Smith started second half, 24-21 ‘loss’. 2010 vs Saints, season opener. Smith led a potentially game winning drive, but then so did Brees. 49ers lost by 2). It’s all about perspective. And I agree with Greg K, Rodgers or Brady would not have flourished under the conditions. I’m excited about this season! Go 49ers!!

4. By bo9ers52 on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

no doubt in my mind that alex is gonna have a terrific season this year, to many weapons to work with….as long as the o-line holds for him, its gonna be a solid year for the niners and as far as defense is concern, there all intact its all the same person or personel ijn the roster, its gonna be a hell of a season. men.. can’t hardly wait for the regular season to start, “NINERS BABY!!!!!!!

5. By BD on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

I am pumped to have Alex Smith back this season. I hope that all the starters can stay healthy, especially Smith. However, it is great to see that the team has some great depth. I think that we can have confidence in the Kapper, Tolzien, and Johnson. Lets just pray that we don’t have to.

I am also pumped to see David Akers break more kicking records this year. The field goal record was great but it would be much sweeter to see him break the extra point record.

6. By Basil on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

With all those changes we don’t have any stability, those things didn’t just affect the QB they affected the whole offense!
    but with that being said, thats was all yesterday and the sweetness to come will wash away all of that bitter taste!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

7. By trueninerfan on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Lets all remeber the great Joe Montana and Steve Young were not known for throwing the deep ball…….The great Jerry Rice and John Taylor had a great rac average………….I’m not saying they never did because they did at times…..they were both great at placing that ball where it needed to be and I know that the next great QB for the NIners will be Alex Smith……if coach see’s it that way, I do to.
    Accuracy is the key factor and Alex has that ability……..Go Niners

8. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

well looks good practice sounds good ..we have heard every year that alex in practice looks good …still wating …he can prove it all in greenbay

9. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

that being said the line can not hold forever and can only hold a blitz for so long most of the time …..the ball needs to come out quicker and alex’s reads are bad maybe he got better have not seen anything yet ….sounds good but still waiting …heard this al before …even last year …..GOOO NINERS ….and lets hope the alex is not just hype again …..texans should be a good judge as to how far alex has come preseason or not they are going to be coming for him …..

10. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

hmmmm now defense looked little slow last game ….ok no prob look to see more fire and less blown coverage ….should settle down with fangio on it and addressing it

11. By ace on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

wait what 11 shame on you again for that, did you see the pittsburgh game that we one against a blitzz happy tough defense, if alex wasnt able to make quick accurate reads how on earth did we beat the steelers , you my friend need to learn how to give credit when credit is due, and alex smith is due a bunch for what he did last year, from YOU !!!

12. By Hermie on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Ace…I thought we all agreed to ignore him/her!!

13. By dave g. on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Hermie…These two fools (Jeromy & Eleven) are the comedic relief on these blogs. Its laughable how emotionally biased they are. They blame everything on ONE GUY over & over & over again completely ignoring ALL the weaknesses we have had in other areas of the team over all those years. Singletary & Nolan were jokes as head coaches AND knew diddly about offenses (let alone QB’s).

14. By ace on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

sorry i just, well you know how i feel about what he says cuz you probably feel the same,on espn’s site people are saying things like “to doubt the niners right now is to doubt coach harbaugh and i see no reason to doubt coach” that’s right on we’ve had a talented team for probablly at least 3 years now,we just didnt know how to use it……looks like we learned something, LETS GO NINERS LETS GO !!!

15. By E on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

ATTENTION ALL 49er FANS & other’s WHO WILL LISTEN:

Alex Smith WILL BE A “ELITE QB” this 2012 season…with Alex refining his mechanics…he will be better than 2011…BELIEVE IT, OR NOT…!!!

49ers will match their 13-3 record or do BETTER 14-2…or…15-1
    (My own personal PREDICTION this season)