49ers Sign LB Alama-Francis

Posted by Taylor Price on August 15, 2012 – 3:54 PM

The San Francisco 49ers today announced they have signed LB Ikaika Alama-Francis to a one-year deal. The team also announced it has waived TE Gijon Robinson.

Alama-Francis (6-5, 290) has played in 35 games (two starts) and recorded 24 tackles, one sack, and one fumble recovery during his five-year NFL career. He was originally a second round selection by the Detroit Lions in the 2007 NFL Draft. Alama-Francis was released by the Lions on September 6, 2009 and later signed by the Miami Dolphins on November 24, 2009. He was released by the Dolphins on March 13, 2012.

A 27-year old native of Kaneohe, HI, Alama-Francis played in 41 games at Hawaii, recording 112 tackles, nine sacks and four forced fumbles.

Robinson (6-1, 255) was signed by San Francisco on August 12. He has played in 39 games (26 starts) and has registered 31 receptions for 240 yards and one touchdown in his NFL career.

Tags:

13 Responses to “49ers Sign LB Alama-Francis”

1. By NINER FAN KAUAI on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Da More Local Boyz,Da Betta! Welcome To The Niners! Ikaika.

2. By ace on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

sic tats, nice to see how competitive coach and owner want to make this team, we might not be done yet as talented as this team is now, with depth at every position, when you change the whole philosophy players want to come play here now,that alone is soooo huge should i say it again, who else wants to go to the super bowl ? um i do thanks coach go niners !!!

3. By NinerFanFromTonga on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

That boy has some Tongan in him….for that alone he’s good in my books….hahaha. Great to see another Tongan in the team. Tukuafu is the other one. What I want to know is this? How does an Island (my beloved homeland of the Tongan Isles), who hails a tiny population of just one hundred thousand around the world have two players in my most favorite team in the world? Either they are truly blessed, or I am….lol. Blows my mind, I know there are other Tongans in the league….what I am trying to say is this…there should be more Chinese/Indians in the NFL than Tongans, that is from a population per players in the NFL viewpoint.

I live here in the Islands now, and I have to honestly say, there should be more Tongans in the NFL. My countrymen are fierce competitors with the physique to go with it. Stand up if you want to help me develop future NFL players from my tiny island. I am serious, there are linebackers, OLs, DLs, CBs, DBs, RBs walking around in the capital city, and everywhere. Only thing holding them back from the NFL is lack of opportunity, and training programs, and facility. Many of them can walk on to any A1 college team after only a few months of training. Contact me if you are interested. email is this….paulfonua63@gmail.com.

4. By bo heel on Aug 15, 2012 | Reply

Ikaika Alama-Francis is hawaiian. not tongan. dude paulfonua needs to get his facts straight.

5. By NinerFanFromTonga on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Ikaika Alama is Tongan…..bo heel……where the Francis comes from I don’t know, probably a parent who is non-Tongan, but there is definitely a Tongan in that guy. Hell, you probably right, I could be wrong…have a good one. There are many Tongans in Hawaii. Hell, I used to live there when I was about 7 years old, I have many cousins who still live there today. Just because he’s from Hawaii doesn’t make him a Hawaiian.

6. By kurt on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

he’ll get cut, to many good lb on this team to make it

7. By Ponobrown on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Alama-Francis is Hawaiian Chinese…not Tongan.

8. By Haynniner on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Ikaika Alam-Francis is a Hawaiian…I grew up with him and played youth sports with him in the islands…Niot sure if he’s Tongan too, but Alama is a Hawaiian name and Francies is his fathers last name…I believe Ikaikais’ grandfather was a back-up QB for the Greenbay Packers, during the 60′s and 70′s and his uncle is former Rams standout, Russ Francis

9. By Haynniner on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

Sorry for the typ0s

10. By Lion of Zion on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

I am Tongan, but who cares where he comes from…I like Scott Tolzien and he is white. I like Pat Willis and he is a brother! I like the Smith brothers on D-line. Throw the race card out! Best players get the roster spot! Jim Harbaugh and staff is the best Niners on the team.

11. By Lion of Zion on Aug 17, 2012 | Reply

Hawaiian all the way! Tukuafu and Masifilo is Tongan. Sopoanga is Samoan. Sione Pouha is T. Junior Seau Is S. Haloti Ngata is T…but we are 49ers….Go Niners!

12. By NinerFanFromTonga on Aug 17, 2012 | Reply

Ok, I was wrong, I’m not too proud to admit it….my bad. And I wasn’t trowing any race card…just stated some very humble facts. Gooo NIners

13. By poiboi808 on Aug 22, 2012 | Reply

Poly-nation. its all that matters. Good to see whatever islander is out there representing the Polynesian Triangle in the NFL