Morning Tailgate: Aug. 7

Posted by Taylor Price on August 7, 2012 – 9:50 AM

You know you’re getting closer to the start of the preseason when the 49ers first depth chart is released. Such was the case Monday afternoon when the team released its first depth chart for Friday night’s exhibition opener against the Minnesota Vikings.

Download the official preseason game one press release by clicking here.

The battle for San Francisco’s No. 2 quarterback remains fluid according to coach Jim Harbaugh, who’s looking forward to see how things shake out after his team’s first preseason contest.

One player looking to make an impact, defensive back Cory Nelms, received special permission to temporarily leave practice on Monday. Not to worry, it was for a great reason. Nelms dashed off the field to watch a live stream of the women’s 400-meter hurdles at the Summer Olympics. Nelms’ girlfriend, T’erea Brown, qualified for a spot in Wednesday’s final by posting a personal-best time of 54.21 seconds. CSNBayArea.com’s Matt Maiocco learned of Nelms’ brief absence from practice and shared the details.

More 49ers headlines can be found after the jump.

Maiocco’s practice notes touched on Friday’s No. 2 quarterback Colin Kaepernick and his action-packed day at 49ers camp.

Maiocco also interviewed gold-cleat wearing 49ers running back Frank Gore.

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee shares his practice notes and Harbaugh’s camp standouts. Barrows: “Asked which 49ers have jumped out to him recently, Harbaugh cited running back Kendall Hunter and OLB Ahmad Brooks. Said Harbaugh of Brooks, who signed a six-year, $44.5M contract in the offseason: “I don’t know if he doubled, tripled or quadrupled his salary, but this is the best shape he’s been in.””

Eric Branch of The San Francisco Chronicle notes the takeaway frenzy that took place in a short period at Monday’s practice. Branch: “In a 10-minute span during today’s practice, a trio of backup cornerbacks – Chris Culliver, Perrish Cox and Tramaine Brock – took turns making first-string-quality plays.”

Wise words from a training camp vet.

Preseason Live: San Francisco 49ers

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 54 Comments »

54 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Aug. 7”

1. By 9er 9er on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I was thinking that Seattle would be our biggest divisional threat this season, but now that they signed Owens I’m no longer concrned…=8-)

2. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I must disagree with you 9er 9er to a point. they signed braylon edwards and now terrell owens, one can only wonder if pete carrol went ahead and signed these guys because of the spite they have for the 49ers and might get inspired play from them for the 2 times we play them this year.;;edwards was given his outright release and didnt like it very much;;owens actually called the 49ers and asked for a try-out, denied,,so both guys have a chip on their shoulders towards the 49ers,
    but I also believe that our defense wont allow them to do much.
    and I am of the opinion that st. louis will be are biggest divisional threat this season.

3. By J.R. Krikorian on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I concur #1……..Most are looking past the rams however in many ways they have been following our blueprint the past couple of years. On Defense that linebacking core is going to be solid. The DB’s are markedly improved. They have a defense minded head coach who has a history of winning and is going to turn the light on for all those young guys. Overall, that defense is going to get noticed real quick. Bradford in the same system with a few weapons now and the great Stephen Jackson still pounding the rock. I really believe this team will be our rivalry for many years and most likely making us work pretty hard by next year.

4. By Niner in St.Louis on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

The only team that I see giving the Niners any trouble from the West Division are themselves. Rams won’t win more than 4 and. I see the Niners sweeping the west foes.

5. By Mutney on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

#1 and “krik” are both on the mark.

6. By 9er 9er on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Guys, your evals are solid. my statement was tongue-in-cheek, that’s why I placed the happy face after it. I can see why it was misinterpreted. Ishould have been more specific. I was referring to all of the locker room and outside disruptions he has brought to every team he has been on…NFL and other. I wasn’t implying to what he still can or can’t do on the field. I’m of the opinion that the Rams aren’t ready yet, but the following two seasons with all those draft picks and their new coach, definately.

7. By Basil on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

U tube showing the last 9ers drive in the Saints game last year.
    That about as good as it gets, seen Joe do it so many times, but this is/was as sweet as out gets.
    I’m looking forward to more of that this year ………
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!
    god I love this team!

8. By jeromy on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

owens & edwards vs moss, manningham or ginn
    we win all day!!

9. By DJWW on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

I always liked TO
    But then again I never coached him or tossed the ball in his direction.

10. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

great topic and great opinions …seachickens are scurrying around trying to pester …the cards ..well looked real bad against the saints …rams yeah bradford can play and jackson can run but neither will be able to dao anything against our defense …they wilol winsome games but we should blow out the division ….I say this because of our defense ..not alex of course

11. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

last year we should have blown out so many teams ..our defense was getting so many turnovers …yet not much on scoring off em ….hopefully this year that will change ….

12. By okcniner on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

you’re an idiot

13. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

with matt flynn QBing for the hawks i will be watching him really good …because i think coach should have gotten that guy to take over for smith …we shall see

14. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

@ 9er 9er, Im sorry,I was in no way trying to talk down on your opinion,if I came accross that way it was not my intent, just seattle is a hard team to beat at their house, and pete carroll has SO much disdain for coach harbaugh,he will do ANYTHING,and sign ANYONE, who might help him him beat the 49ers was all I meant with my post

15. By trueninerfan on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Can’t believe they didn’t post what I said…..I was just saying I wish Harry Potter was a Niner fan then maybe he could make Eleven years with alex disappear from this website……….nothing but negative towards Alex Smith…..you are some true fan dude

16. By 9er 9er on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

1 D, I know you weren’t. After reading your what you said, I realized I could have done better in expressing what I meant. No problem, I read your posts, I know where you’re coming from. Besides, we have different opinions about the Rams, it will be interesting to see how that plays out this season.If your right I’ll buy you a beer, theoretically of course. Go Niners!

17. By voteforalex on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

hopefully for competitions sake, Flynn doesn’t work out quite like Kolb has. although the situations are very similar. Owens has always been a legit talent. and its not bad that he wants to win as bad as he does. its just too bad he never learned to take his foot out of his mouth or he could have been a legend of the game.

18. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

wow you guys need a few minutes to hug geez….fact is niners have a lot of stories and players in em …..its good to see more fans and more predictions rather than same old niners …man i hate that …and sorry no i will not settle like many have for a average QB to just hang on to the ball and not do anything stupid ….i mean really … that is what you want now wonder why we(niners)have been in the gutter …stand up people demand more from your team ..they are building a new stadium and hope to have a superbowl here ….you bleeding hearts for alex are the same bringing down this state …awww now errr well i went there sorry bout that …keep up the cheers for the niners but please this ..hey lets wait a few more years to see if alex has any talent is getting old 7 years old

19. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

oh and i just figured out why they keep alex around they dont want to waste any more money on a QB …they blew millions on alex and nothing so they wont do that again for a long time …bah its mediocre QB’s from now on prob another 15 years of mediocre QBing ….well dont blame the yorks thats a lot of money thrown out the window

20. By 9erforlife on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

edward sucks he had one good catch last year and that was in a preseason game the rest of the time he didnt even show up and owens i dont see him making that big of an empact forget the seachickens we will beat them both time just like last year.

21. By Alan on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

SMITH, i.e. ALEX, shall make the Pro Bowl this year…11 yrs. must have become entangled in one of the 11 strings of the Neo-proclaimed String Theory of Contemporary Theoretical Physics! On the other hand, I’m a WIZARD 11 acc. to Mayan specification. As a “galactical portal”, I see/feel what I’ve always foreseen in Alex, from whom my support has never dwindled and which has led to much ridicule for me: a “THIRD” in the great QBs of 49er history! Haven’t you seen the flashes? Now he has overcome his shoulder issues truly. With the love of Harbaugh, clearly the best since Walsh, Alex will fully blossom this year!

22. By dave g. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

What you people are missing is that Pete Carroll has a history of doing things not because he is a good coach who can groom talent BUT he signs people with an sneaky agenda in mind. He has a history of picking up former 49ers or Harbaughs leftovers or former Harbaugh college players. He is not only signing Edwards for his game. Look closer at what he has been doing. Do you see it now????? Pete Carroll does not really know offense so he signs big names and makes sneaky moves to learn more about what HArbaugh is doing. Think about all the splash names he signs BUT he never really develops anyone. NEVER! Harbaugh will always have his number & he knows it.

23. By dave g. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Now on Eleven & Jeromy. They keep trying to convince us that Smith sucks which they are basically trying to tell us Harbaugh is incompetent. Yeah DuMb@sses, keep trying to convince us of that.

24. By dave g. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Matt Flynn????

25. By dave g. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Please only an armchair QB gets overly excited from a backup having a few good games. Are you for real? Have you been paying attention to football? Why do you think Miami whose head coach was Flynn’s offensive coordinator in GB did NOT EVEN WANT HIM? Open your eyes!!!!

26. By dave g. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

If Vick gets hurt next year which he will and Mike Kafka or Vince Young has a few huge games, are you idiots going to jump all over their jock too? You fools crack me up on how little you know.

27. By dave g. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Hmmm. How many QB’s has followed the Flynn path again & how did those end up? Haaaaaaaaaaaaa! What a joke JEROMY & ELEVEN. You guys are freakin brilliant in your own minds. Just go back to spooning each other & leave the football talk to the people who really know.

28. By dave g. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Eleven NEWSFLASH: We are not the ones resigning and deciding to play Smith. Harbaugh is SO you really saying he is bring us down. We NOT buying that. Man your arguments make ZERO sense. Do you even have the brain capacity to see that OR has Jeromy banged your head against the head board so much that your sense of logic has been permanently damaged. Maybe you need to switch positions with him and make him the catcher. Haaaaaaaaa! What an idiot!

29. By dave g. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

And Homie, don’t worry about us standing up. We are standing up for our entire team, especially our head coaches decision. We doing all that standing while you bending over for Jeromy.

30. By dave g. on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

Oh and Jeromy when you say “owens & edwards vs moss, manningham or ginn
    we win all day!!”, you do realize that means ALEX SMITH is having a more successful season than Flynn. You may be in the dog house for contradicting your sugar buns Eleven. You two fools are too easy. You keep contradicting and undoing your own arguments BECAUSE there is ZERO logic, just emotions of two lil b1tches. Man you girls are soooo weak.

31. By jeromy on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

no Dave G., maybe in your small mind it means that, but those of us with the ability to THINK know that Alex will not improve, & one of the backups will step in, & Alex was not being discussed, it was the abilities of the recievers at question

32. By jeromy on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

but now that you ran your mouth, its open season!!
    true niner fan— how do you consider YOURSELF a true fan if your backing Alex(the biggest bust in the hstory of the game)? you guys are kooktastic!

33. By jeromy on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

dave g. u r just a tool! no thinking ability, just a tool
    now speaking of tools, the one that your mom liked me to use on her most was…..

34. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

@ dave g. you understood my point completely that I made about carroll earlier

35. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

dude is a worm and jumped ship from USC when the NCAA put the hammer down on the school,costing reggie bush his heisman, I mean c’mon pete carroll, its USC for crying out loud, being an elite school,you shouldn’t have had to cheat at recruiting, the noteriety of the school did your recruiting for you,,oh,,,I see,, the guys you wanted playing on your team weren’t achedemicly eligible to play,so you used smoke and mirrors and then when you got busted you jumped like a rat from a sinking ship

36. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

yes dave g. you and I see eye to eye on pete the rat carroll

37. By NinerFanFromTonga on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

jeromy/11 (since you’re the same person)……..you have no grounds to stand on against what dave g. said against your comparison of TO and Edwards vs. Moss and Manningham, or Ginn Jr.

First you praised Flynn as the better QB choice over Alex Smith, than next you show up and praise 9ers wideouts of Moss and company over TO and Edwards in saying: ”we will win all day.” dave g. correctly pointed out that since you claimed we will win all day, who do you think will be signal caller/QB for our team? Just in case you aren’t paying attention…its none other than your favorite player in Alex Smith, and seachicks’ signal caller will be none other than your boy Flynn. In other words; “you’re a moron.”

That’s the biggest, and latest grounds for contradiction on record from you. But since you hate Smith so much, you’ll cowardly hide behind the insignificant point of; “Alex was not being discussed.” Perhaps you should evaluate your thoughts before you spew them on here, you did say “we will win all day.” That statement means you meant Smith is included. Either that, or don’t make useless claims of; “ability to THINK.”

I hate myself for commenting on this issue. I vow never to do it again. I feel dirty just saying some folks name on here…..lol.

38. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 7, 2012 | Reply

ok profanity bros ….youve proven you are unaware of simple opinions ….and for the I dont know how many times we will have to go over this ………this is my name for this blog and thats it …the fact that you think someone with the same opinion has to be the same person just contradicted all you guys being the same person …and yeah we will all wait for youall to figure that one out…by the way again alex is an average QB that being said if he somehow impresses this season than so be it ….see I win either way ….you….lol my friends have allready lost ….but we can both be happy when the niners defense and special teams carries alex yet another seaon and give him one more shot to be a QB and win the big one …if we stay healthy and play awesome like we should

39. By dave g. on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

I said it before & I will say it again. Its very simple. Jim Harbaugh is the ONE who believes in Alex Smith and has had & will have the power to decide. Jeromy & Eleven are telling us how it is with dorky words like kooktastic like that makes a point? Are you trying to be Sammy Davis Jr? Bottom line is if you think Alex sucks then you really saying Harbaugh sucks. You can’t have it both ways. Get mad all you want with us BUT WE NOT MAKING THE DECISION. We just agreeing with Harbaugh! You the one disagreeing with him and trying to convince us that you know QB’in much better than him & want the 49ers to win more than HIM. Really? Really? Think about what you trying to convince us? Haaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

40. By dave g. on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Open Season???? woooo we are sooo scared of you lil b1tch Jeromina. You weak on words and everything else. You gonna threaten people you aint even gonna meet. Real tough chick arent you? And teach your girl Eleven to write legibly.

41. By dave g. on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Jeromina, you know better than to step up to me. I have abused you before & will do so again & again & again. You have no game. Its obvious you are deficient in your mental capacity. You aint even a challenge so all you can do is get frustrated and throw out empty threats. Alpha will beat Omega all day long! Trying to throw threats out like you dangerous? Open Season. LOL. The only thing open is your mouth welcoming Eleven! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHA! You two fools are a JOKE. You must like the abuse.

42. By dave g. on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

So Jeromina you say-quoting you now “no Dave G., maybe in your small mind it means that, but those of us with the ability to THINK know that Alex will not improve” . So you saying Harbaugh & Baalke does not have the ability to think? So they are banking their entire reputations and football career on Alex without thinking? They really should be consulting you and Eleven? Wow! Who is dillusional???? Slapped again! I love me : )

43. By dave g. on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

And now Eleven is backing off his stance (so he can have an out -what a p@ssy) and I quote the lilltle girl….”see I win either way ….you….lol my friends have allready lost ….but we can both be happy when the niners defense and special teams carries alex yet another seaon and give him one more shot to be a QB and win the big one”. WTF? are you talking about??? This is about us winning the SB…PERIOD with or without a player at any position! Its NOT about YOU. From your lil pathetic perspective, you think this is all about you being right – not about SF winning. You are a loser no matter what happens! You can take that to the bank LOSER.

44. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

so when you sleep at night you are comfortable knowing that you continue to write profanity and such as to you do not know who is on here kids or ederly seeing your venom spewed all over this website for shame …..for shame ….

45. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

by the way uhh hey web guy nothing for the 8th what up i am sure they are gearing up for the game but give us a tidbit or a rumor or even some blah about how these blogs are turning into a LL COOL J hosted benefit at the APOLLO for wayward rap artists who have nothing better to do but make jokes about others at their own expense and or judgement of said others ….or somthing like that …close enough…i mean who are we trying to impress …..oh yeah our egos …..so puckit up dawgs and pawn you alls benchs on u own tyme feshizzle mi hombres

46. By dave g. on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

My Venom. HA! I am a MAN. I know you not familiar with that. You continually attack a 49er player who is doing his best and my TEAM who by the way swears as do all NFL teams & you try to come off like a choir boy because your arguments are lame and weak & stand on ZERO solid ground. Thats all you have to say? Oh brother. I know it is shocking but thats what men do. You are ignorant and lil pathetic insecure people like you who stand on their high horse with ZERO concept of what it takes for a human being to fight and dedicate themselves to something AS A TEAM and try to tell us how it is like you know better than a proven coach who has played the position, watched countless game film and has his whole career devoted to this. But you trying to convince us that you know better. Are you F%$king serious to think for one moment that this concept is logical in your saintly world of football without profanities???? You are joke. I can say it saintly and I can say it profanity laced BUT it does not change the fact that you a JOKE! Haaaaaaaaaa! SLAPPED AGAIN. BTW: I sleep very well at night cuz its great to be me.

47. By dave g. on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Eleven…BTW: you must be on crack. You write nothing but jibberish. Oh wait it must be all the slapping you been taking you lil b1tch. Is that too profane for your tender, saintly ears? HAHAHAHA

48. By S.F. Love on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

dave g. we all get the fact that you are a internet gangster now how bout you guys quit bickering like a bunch of children and realize that with or without Alex Smith (hopefully with I personally think he has been improving every year and that’s what good qb’s do) our team is statistically and realistically one of the best in all of football. Just shake hands light one up and enjoy the awesomeness that is the SF 49ers. Who has it better than us? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBODY!!

49. By jeromy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

harbaugh doesnt have a choice right now, he tried to get Peyton & failed, now we have to put up with another yearwith the BUST.
    YES, MATT FLYNN IS BETTER THAN ALEX!
    & Yes, Dave G.s mom is spread out on my bed right now, telling me about what an utter complete failure her son has been since the day he was born, im getting tired of all the babbling so i will fill her mouth with something just to shut her up.
    doe that answer all your questions?

50. By jeromy on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

ok, now time for 30 more consecutive posts from Dave G.

51. By dave g. on Aug 8, 2012 | Reply

Harbaugh does not have a choice? Really? He could have had Flynn. He obviously does not see the same as your keen insight on QB’s. And for the record they rejected Peyton due to the health & money. If you say otherwise than you calling Harbaugh a liar. So if you face reality which is very hard for you to do, you saying Harbaugh is incompetent to not only not get us talent, and settling but also incompetant to evaluate talent, potential & inability to coach a player. But you have ALL the answers you genuis you. If we were lawyers Jeromina & faced off and I was suing your client for $2000 with you defending him by the time the case was over your client would be owing us $200k. Does that paint how weak your arguments are for you? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa BTW; You confusing Eleven for a woman on your bed (common mistake).

52. By jeromy on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

blah blah blah, we will see tomorrow night

53. By jeromy on Aug 9, 2012 | Reply

& when you have a chance talk to your mom, I have asked her over & over again to “Please watch the TEETH!!!!!!!!!!

54. By dave g. on Aug 16, 2012 | Reply

LAME. Moms? Really are you in grade school? Man you are weak.