Morning Tailgate: Aug. 2

Posted by Taylor Price on August 2, 2012 – 9:33 AM

Following a sudden end to the 2011 postseason, Kyle Williams has vowed to bounce back with a vengeance. Ever since the 49ers season ended, Williams went back to work and is seeing positive results from his efforts.

Cam Inman of The San Jose Mercury News noted that Wiliams made “a couple of phenomenal catches Wednesday while the 49ers worked on third-down conversions, a dismal area last season when they ranked second-to-last in the league.” Inman’s story shares the support Williams received from teammates and the entire 49ers organization.

CSN Bay Area’s Mindi Bach also observed the strong play of Williams at the 49ers’ fifth training camp session. “In a 7-on-7 drill, Williams lined up wide right in front of cornerback Tramaine Brock, who was playing seven yards off. Williams grabbed a nice 35-yard reception.”

More 49ers headlines can be found after the jump.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com takes a look at the 49ers handling raised expectations for the 2012 season. Maiocco: “The 49ers have 90 players on their camp roster. They must trim the roster to 53 players for the start of the regular season. A lot of the 49ers going through the grind of camp will be former 49ers in a month. That’s why Harbaugh’s motto during the offseason program was ‘Work. Don’t worry.’”

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee shares Pro Bowl cornerback Carlos Rogers’ comments on Randy Moss’ positive effect at practice. According to Rogers, all the 49ers cornerbacks want to face Moss in one-on-one drills.

Barrows also shares cornerback Chris Culliver’s comments on a perceived rivalry with new 49ers wideout Mario Manningham. Barrows: “Chris Culliver has no beef with Mario Manningham. Sure, there’s a history – albeit, a brief history – between them. And, yes, there’s been some jawing and even some shoving on the practice field. But the cornerback this week insisted it was nothing personal.”

Barrows also offers practice notes, including a look individual linebacker drills.

Adam Schein of NFL.com busts myths around the league, including one on the 49ers being unable to win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith at quarterback. Schien: “Smith is only getting better and the Niners are one of the four best teams in football, along with the Green Bay Packers, New York Giants and New England Patriots.”

49ers.com’s #Camp49 coverage included a practice report, a story on NaVorro Bowman’s continued development, a blog on Carlos Rogers embracing his nickel corner role and a video on San Francisco’s top-notch safety tandem.

#Camp49 took a detour to Flavor Town yesterday.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 22 Comments »

22 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Aug. 2”

1. By Randy K. on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

I am sorry, but I can’t see Williams making the opening day squad. He will either be put on the practice or more likely be picked up by another team. But, I do think he is a good enough player to play somewhere in the NFL.

2. By Scott B on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Williams will make the team as a special teamer at the very least. He is too fast and too good for us to cut him. Don’t judge him by two mistakes in a big game when he wasn’t playing his regular position. He’s extremely talented and made some big plays for us last year when we needed him to.

3. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

@ Randy K., I believe williams makes the team. he is fast and can catch the ball he was looking very much like victor cruz at times last year. ther are other wr’s that wont make the cut,,,swain,hastings,palmer,owusu,these guys are more than likely headed for the wavier wire or the practice squad, and I think we keep 6 wr’s this year and 5 rb’s
    moss-crabs-manningham-ginn-jenkins-williams, our 2012 wr’s
    gore-hunter-jacobs-james-cartwright,our 2012 rb’s
    anthony dixon’s request to try-out for fb shows clearly that he is the odd man out at rb to make the 53 man roster, I have thought he was on the way out since they drafted james

4. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

and remember,cartwright plays exclusively on special teams

5. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

cartwright signed his deal knowing that he would play full time on special teams,he is a consumate pro at it and will be ou special teams captain

6. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

aside from the wr’s and rb’s I named, the other guys at rb or wr are just camp bodies, filling in the voids when guys need to take a break during practice or if someone tweeks something,granted,every now and then a guy will turn the coaches heads,but this year there is very little to no room for new guys to make this team if they werent drafted

7. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

I want to comment on the 1st game of the year against green bay, on other blogs and walls that I blog on there are SOOO many people, 49er & green bay fans saying alot of things about the game on 9/9/12,this and that ,we will see what alex can do at lambeau and frank will run all over the place. I will go on record saying that too much is put on the 1st game of the year. it is by far the most meaning-less game of the year,no one wins the super bowl in week one. to win it is great,but I would be willing to wager that both coaches just want to get out of that game un-scathed with no injuries and if they get a win as well great, but week one to me is just an extension of the pre-season,defenses are usually ahead of offenses that early in the year with green bay being the possible exception due to the fact they have no running game and arent that concerned about having a running game,

8. By Kezar Vet on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Randy – the fact that you can’t see Kyle Williams making the team at W/R proves only that you are not a good judge of talent. This guy is exceptional. Great hands and even better moves. D-FENSE. Rein in your ego. Do you really think this is your personal blog or that anyone cares what you think enough to see one post after another?

9. By 9er 9er on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Regarding Williams. I think it’ time to move on from last years NFC Championship. Prior to those two plays Williams was a pleasant surprise making some really nice plays at receiver last season. He will be just fine this year, Coach has already epressed confidence in him and that’s good enough for me…

10. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

well i think the team should win the game with a bang by at least 2 TD’s with a lot of sacks and picks …that wil bolster the allready stellar confidence in coach and drive the team to push for more ….a nlooss would destroy these guys for a bit and start the nay sayers ….gooo niners work the schedule and flatten the league 6-0 …and more to come

11. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

woot finally that went through …dude web guy come on so we have to wait for someone to post before ours can go on at least set up a save system or something so we dont have to totally retype our stuff like 10 times to get on ….please …and thank you

12. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

and williams will be fine …remember rice he was stone hands and slow …and look what happened ….this guy just got put in a situation of no doing of his own …he was trying to make a play for the team …..you gave alex 7 years …take a time out guys

13. By bo9ers52 on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

yeah i guess will give him another chance, at the special team roster, BUT NOT AS A PUNT RETURNER, HELL NO!!!!

14. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

@ kezar vet, go to hell with your negative attitude, it would seem that most agree with what I post,thats what the thumbs up and down sybols are for,,AND,,,,,
    this is a blog for posting your opinions,which is what I do, and many others agree with what I say,and while your entitled to your opinion of me, that doesnt lessen the fact that you are a HATER,,,,

15. By Dave Whitaker on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Do not Worry guys, I have tons of faith in coach to pick and play the best 53 man roster. How long if ever have you seen a second year coach take his team to the promised lanf? Watch this year 49ners will win the superbowl. go niners

16. By fan of the century on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

@ 1 D-FENSE I agree with everything youve said about the roster,it makes sense, and I have read similar articles on espn and csnbay area. and your post on the 1st game of the year sir I believe is spot on. you go right on ahead with your informative sounding posts, ,you have made many good posts and one has only to go back and look at all the thumbs up you recieve on some of your posts
    you may however come off as a know-it all to som,e,but others find what you post
    credible and interesting so ignore kezar vet, judging by the way others have greated his recent posts such as yesterdays for example, he holds no merit

17. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

@ fan of the century; yea I also read the articles on espn and csnbay area, thats how I form my own opinion on the subjects. and I dont worry about guys like kezar
    I happen to believe he is a regular on this blog just using a new name. I try and pay attention to posts made by those I know to be informed and up-to-date on the current affairs of our team. I dont like using the whole thumbs up;thumbs down thing as a comparision tool, you either like what someone has to say or you dont
    its just that simple,even 11 years with alex, although many on this blog,myself included,have ganged up the guy,he at least can post some things many agree with. its not rocket science,just a bunch of 49ers fans giving,sharing and often times,dis-agreeing with each other,which in of itself,is a great thing,because lets be realistic about things,5 years ago,we werent talking about ANYTHING positive
    so all this back and forth stuff,even the heated exchanges,are wonderful for this 49er fan to see, it means our team is on the rise, and I love agreeing and dis-agreeing with my fellow 49er fans,and I will end it on that note,,,,,GO 49ERS!!!!

18. By fan of the century on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

@ 1 d-fense,, what a great post man,, I wont even try to add to it that was well said dude GO 49ERS!!! is right

19. By Tommy W on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

at Randy K. Totally disagree. I think he will have a break out year. He is very fast and has that “low profile structure” that will able him to juke and out run defenders. All that was last season was a big stage and a lot of nerves for a green football player. I think that that mistake has taught him well and he will grow from that and now produce immensely. I like Moss, but remember, he’s 10 years older than these guys. i see big things from this guy… 49ers for life!!!

20. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

simple truth is the team needs to stay healthy and the niners should do great ….coach will keep it as simple as possible for who ever the QB is …so they can try harder at the easy stuff and not have to be a full NFL QB…. the rest of the team carried alex …kicker broke records …justin smith won 2 games by himslef in the last seconds(thank you justin)…and gore shouldered the load in a not so good offense last year …..we got rid of chilo rachel so now the right guard spot can be addressed and gore can finally do some real work and not grunt work(thank you gore for your taking the pounding )……stay safe out there niners and you shall be rewarded

21. By okcniner on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

is it possible to vote eleven years off of this site? Please if there’s anyone out there with the stroke to make it happen……

22. By The Cost on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

Kyle is an awesome player who made two mistakes playing a position he is not used to in a Championship game. That position is a very difficult one for anybody that knows and has played that position. Kyle will be one of the top wide recievers this season. He is an incredibly gifted athlete and has worked very hard this offseason I am sure. You have not seen Kyle Williams just yet. I believe there is more to come from this kid. He will be equal if not better than Crabtree this season.