Morning Tailgate: Aug. 1

Posted by Taylor Price on August 1, 2012 – 8:14 AM

Good morning 49ers Faithful, Training Camp will begin promptly at 9:15 this morning. Without further ado, let’s dive right into the top 49ers headlines from San Francisco’s first day off at camp.

Respected NFL writer Peter King of Sports Illustrated visited 49ers camp on Monday and filed a must-read report. According to the longtime NFL scribe, the 49ers are in the best shape he’s seen in years.

“Long-term this is the best I’ve felt about the 49ers since Steve Young walked off the field for the last time in 1999,” King wrote.

In another appearance on NFL Network, King told host Rich Eisen just how impressed he was with veteran wideout Randy Moss.

“When I saw Randy Moss come off the line of scrimmage and fake Perrish Cox so severely that Cox slipped and Randy Moss ran across the middle and caught a beautiful crossing throw,” King told Eisen. “And then ran a 9-route, you know, the long deep ball down the sideline, and beat Carlos Rodgers, who had an excellent year last year.”

More 49ers headlines can be found after the jump.

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee takes an educated guess at the 49ers depth chart through one week of camp practices.

Eric Branch of The San Francisco Chronicle shares the comments of tight end Delanie Walker who rushed back from injury to compete in the playoffs. Branch: “Walker had a specially designed helmet for the game, but he didn’t have sensation in the left side of his face. Along with fracturing the jaw, the impact from Hill’s knee had also severed nerves. More than six months later, Walker still has isolated numbness as a result of the injury, which, he said doesn’t affect him on the field or when he eats.”

Kaepernick’s day is off to a strong start.

Tags: , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 42 Comments »

42 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: Aug. 1”

1. By J.R. Baca Albuquerque New Mexico SF 49er on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

This is going to be an awesome season for us faithful 49er fans. God Bless our Team.

Go…………………………..49ers

2. By A Covarrubias on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

They will go all the way they will be smashing teams this year.

3. By NINER FAN KAUAI on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Moss is gonna shock the world this year! Let Me Wipe The Drool Off Alex’s Face! Im just looking forward to another season of The Joe Show!,The Joe Show! Aloha

4. By friendofdrbob1 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Let’s see if the old “I play when I want to play” attitude shows up.

5. By 9er 9er on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Yes, I haven’t felt this excited about a season since Joe and Jerry, Ronnie, Roger and Steve, with all those other guys of course, played during the 80’s and 90’s. This season is going to be special even if they don’t win as many games as last year. But it wouldn’t surprise me if they win more!

6. By Exclusive on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I could not have said it better JR, an AWESOME SEASON IS BREWING AND I CANT WAIT… GO 49ERS !!!

7. By Al Mazerolle on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Can’t wait for the season to start, we have a tough schedule but I think we are better than all of them

8. By Kezar Vet on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Get a lobotomy.

9. By trob0 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

All I gotta say is I would be scared of the San Fransisco 49ers this year………be afraid, very afraid…..especially Scott Shanle

10. By Jay on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Where are all the Alex haters! Hmm theyre just praying for a bad game so they can come out of their holes slinging mud

11. By Randy K. on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

I have got to believe that this nucleus of players should parlay this pool of talent into 1 Super Bowl victory in the next 3 years, 6-0 baby 6-0! Suck that, Steeler and Cowboy fans!

12. By Abe on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

The Eric branch hyperlink takes me to Alex smith being dismissed from Judy duty…

13. By alex_fn_smith on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

we are everything we were last year plus more…so lets do this!!!

14. By alex_fn_smith on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

come on alex prove everybody wrong again! lets show the world why we chose you over rodgers

15. By alex_fn_smith on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

and frankie baby…youre a beast….and nobody will ever stop you!!! youre a legend! and nobody will ever take that away from you, i wanna say we’ll never forget you, but that makes it sound like youre on your way out…BUT YOURE NOT!!! you deserve a ring more than anyone else in the nfl…you carried this team to this point.

16. By alex_fn_smith on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

and i wanna see that defense again…im glad goldson is still with us, im glad everyone is still with us. THIS IS THE YEAR!!! dont over do it it…i dont wanna see any injuries. dont kill yourselves out there. lets beat em all the bill walsh way

17. By alex_fn_smith on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

justin smith,mcdonald,and aldon, i wanna see you get to the quarerback twice as much!!! goldson,rogers,brown. i wanna see twice as many INT’s i dont wanna see anybody scoring a rushing TD at all this year!!! and i dont want anybody running more than 50 yards on us!!!

18. By alex_fn_smith on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

we got the best running squad in the nfl, we got youth,experience,power speed,and more speed! along with the best,strongest,fastest,youngest o-line in the nfl

19. By alex_fn_smith on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

we got scary rice aj jenkins…a determined no-nonsense crabtree looking to prove himself. and hello??? randy fn moss!!!

20. By alex_fn_smith on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

its over…the other 31 teams should just not bother…because theyre done for….theres no competition. WHOS GOT IT BETTER THAN US???

21. By 9er 9er on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Not to change the subject, but it’s a shame Bryant Young could’.t be a part of this. Great player, too many years on a losing team.

22. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

morning well afternoon gentleman ….so the scoop is niners are solid …..bout time ….man everyone said that the years were going to be long and painful ….OUCH……

23. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

now ounce again to clear it up ..I am huge niner fan ….and want the team to win it every year as we all do ….so if alex can do it that is fine but what I have seen from his 7 years is the same …no idea what is going on or how to get it done …sure he has made throws …when he had nothing to lose ….throw it up what ever happens happens ….as the saints game is quick to mention he showed he could do it …then he choked against the giants not adapting to the changes the giants made

24. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

best of luck alex hope it all works out …so the niners can have that 6-0 to put in everyones face ….GOOOO NINERS …..man we got some beasts on this team …i hope we can keep delanie walker he is really good and if he goes to another team he will be premier TE for them …i hope he stays he is a great ball player

25. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

@ 9er 9er,, of all the former and current 49er players bryant young is BY FAR my favorite,to sustain the kind of imjury he did and then to not only come back from it but play at a pro bowl level right up to his retirement, well it speaks for itself and I would be doing a great injustice to the man if I were to try and explain it. on and off the field he was a consumate pro,and his fellow players around the league shared the same sentiment as you and I. the very 1st authentic jersey,you know the kind they wear on the field,that I bought for myself was b.young. 1997 jersey, I have all kinds of the painted ones,montana,s.young, norton, rice, craig, but B.Y. was the 1st one I ever spent 155$ bucks on,, with the defensive players going into the hall this year I gotta think bryant young will be a hall of famer, is he eligible yet? I dont know,going to check right now

26. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

at least BY got a super bowl ring his rookie year

27. By fourty9erdude on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Eleven years have you just start following the 49ers and the NFL…the scoop??? it’s a mountain for everybody to see!!! did you watch any games last year…it’s not a scoop!!! it’s fact!!! 49ers are the shillznit!!!

28. By trueninerfan on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Hey eleven years if you remember Alex was very short on wideouts and the 2 punts that were fumbled if i remember right that wasn’t Alex catching the ball and that wasn’t Alex missing the fumble the Giants had down at our end of the field.
    what happened to Kyle Williams could have happened to any nfl player.
    you learn and move on…..lets not blame Alex for everything….I think so many other players would have given up in the situation Alex was in the last several years…..but he didn’t he hung in there and with the coaching he has has just made him a better player…..Alex is a hell of a athlete and don’t tell me he can’t throw and run when needed…..he is the leader of our awesome team.
    Go Niners

29. By fourty9erdude on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

9ers are back!!!

30. By phredee on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Oh yea …49ers babyeee. we got alots of fire power ..our D is sold Very sold ..and our new fire power is sold sold sold ..MOSS, ET,VD,GORE ,ets Alex you ready..time to shine….

31. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

yes i watch all the games even if i cant be there live …the team was better not because of alex …because of the kicker …he broke scoreing records and went to probowl

32. By Ladybug on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

Can you imagine the shock I felt when I read that a group of sportswriters made a list of teams they thought could go to the SB….and the 49ers were FOURTH on that list…….I couldn’t believe it.

We will go the distance….I know it. GOOOOOOOOO NINERS.

33. By Ladybug on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

What I was trying to convey, was that the 49ers should have been #1 on that list…..for sure. I’m not happy about being merely in 4th place.

34. By 9er 9er on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

1 D, that was a $155.00 well spent. My all time favorite players are Joe, Jerry and Bryant. There are others but those three top the list. Whenever I hear the term “true professional” I think of B. Y.. He’s eligible, and in my mind he should already be in…

35. By Kenny on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

49ers need to be best if. Gb

36. By niner4life on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

YES SUPERBOWL BABY!

37. By niner4life on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

AND WHATS UP JR BACA! ITS NINER TIME AGAIN BUDDY!

38. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Aug 1, 2012 | Reply

bryant young will be eligible for the hall of fame in 2013 according to espn.com

39. By 9er 9er on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

I thought he retired at the end of 2007. Memory isn’t what it used to be.

40. By 9er 9er on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

OMG, I looked it up. My memory is still good, I just can’t do simple math anymore???

41. By bo9ers52 on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

can’t wait for the season to begin, its gonna be awesome year for the niners, cuz,roster is way to deeeeeeeep……”NINERS BABY!!!!!!!”

42. By dave g. on Aug 2, 2012 | Reply

My vote for favorite 49er is Ronnie Lott. I respect B.Y. tremendously & in no way mean any disrespect to past & present 9ers BUT Ronnie Lott was someone who as a football warrior had an incredible impact on big games while other offensive players reaped all the glory. He was tremendous in more ways than most realize. He was much more than devastating hits.