Vernon Davis Learns Lessons from 2011

Posted by Alex Espinoza on July 26, 2012 – 4:19 PM

In his first NFL postseason appearance, Vernon Davis didn’t disappoint. His 14-yard, last-second, game-winning touchdown against the Saints in the NFC Divisional Round will forever be remembered as one of the greatest plays in football history.

As well as Davis recalls that momentous evening at Candlestick Park, the sting of defeat from the NFC Championship game lives just as strong. Speaking to the media on Thursday, reporting day for 49ers veterans, Davis reflected on the 2011 season while looking forward to this year’s campaign.

“I have high hopes for this team, high expectations. It’s something that we all have to live up to as a team,” Davis said. “We’ve got a lot of talent; we’ve got a lot of guys around here that are very capable. At this point, all I can do is keep my belief and faith and let the chips fall where they fall. But I will not doubt anybody on this team; I will not doubt this team. I will continue to have faith.”

Like many of his teammates, Davis had never played past Week 17 until last year. Under the guidance of first-year coach Jim Harbaugh, the 49ers featured one of the league’s most complete teams until being knocked out of the NFC Title game with a 20-17 overtime loss to the eventual Super Bowl Champion New York Giants.

But after returning the core from last year’s team and making several high-profile additions through free agency and the draft, Davis is expecting more great things in 2012.

“The unique thing about getting close to the Super Bowl is that we had a chance to smell it and see what it’s like,” Davis said. “I had never been to the playoffs before, but it was definitely a lifetime experience – something I’ll take on with me for the rest of my life. I’ll just pray and believe that we’ll do it again. It’s something that we all look forward to.

“We look forward to it because we know what it’s like. We know what the stage looks like; all the bright lights, the people, the fans. It’s just amazing.”

Following a regular season when he posted 67 catches for 792 yards and six touchdowns, Davis racked up 10 catches for 292 yards and four touchdowns in the playoffs. With new weapons on offense like Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, A.J. Jenkins, Brandon Jacobs and LaMichael James, Davis said the 49ers are forming a quick “family” bond already.

Just don’t expect him to forget the lessons he learned in last year’s final defeat.

“It’s motivation going into training camp and when we come out of training camp we can still use it as motivation,” Davis said. “That’s why I say that this team is going to be a special team – because we know what it’s like and we all know what it takes to get there. It’s going to take one practice at a time and one game at a time.”

Tags:

9 Responses to “Vernon Davis Learns Lessons from 2011”

1. By Real 49er fan on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

Its our time baby!!!!!

2. By ace on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

when vernon davis caught that td against the saints and came off the field with tears of joy in his eyes, i cried 2, thank you vernon, we will never ever forget that play goooo niners!!!!!

3. By time2speakup on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

If this were any other collection of players, and especially any other Head Coach, my confidence would not be anywhere near where it is today – this moment. Years from now, most people will look at last season, this upcoming one and a few others and accept what a visionary Coach is and was. He came into this knowing precisely what “mantra” to adopt – “one day – one game at a time” and more importantly, he knew exactly how to get complete buy-in. This is a team of destiny. And I am grateful. Watch!

4. By NinerFanFrmTonga on Jul 26, 2012 | Reply

When Coach Harbaugh was signed by our front office last year as our Head Coach, I from all the way here in TongaLand said to my friends; “My 49ers is going to win a superbowl within the next five years.” Harbaugh have been a winner everywhere he went. He will continue to be a winner for this organization for years to come. I love football even more this year. Gooooo Niners….bring home that SB Trophy next February.

5. By okcniner on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

How much did that catch remind you of the Terrell Owens catch against the Packers back in the day??

6. By smuman on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

I’m hoping for another 49er Super Bowl trophy. But I’d be happy with a winning record and at least one play-off win. Either way, especially with the rest of the team so solid and so deep, the WR’s are going to make or break this team…just like last year.

7. By Ojay on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Yes I agree, with everybody on everything that was said. I still believe that the pressure is still on Alex and pressure bust pipes. He have the weapons all around him now so he has to produce and I believe he will. Our Defense will be the #1 Defense in the league and we will be hosting the Lombardi Trophy in February. GO NINERS!

8. By 49er n TN on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

Can’t wait to see my guy Vernon in action this year. He has come a long way with the 9ers. From being sent to the locker room with Singeltary, to team captain with coach Harbaugh. Wear that C on your chest with pride dude. GOOOOOO NINERS!

9. By lohn medina on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply

national confernce chanpionship ….

Greenbay packers at Candelsticke park in San Francisco…….We will start with them and finish with them on our way to the SUPER BOWLE!!!! forty niner faithful