Ted Ginn Jr. Pays Respect to Father

Posted by Taylor Price on July 23, 2012 – 5:41 PM

Playing in the National Football League has always been a lifelong dream for 49ers wide receiver Ted Ginn Jr. That dream will be even more enjoyable in 2012 now that Ginn Jr. has reached another personal achievement – being allowed to wear “Ginn Jr.” on the back of his NFL jersey.

With the NFL allowing players to wear generational titles on the back of their jerseys (some might call it the Robert Griffin III rule), Ginn Jr. has taken the league up on the offer.

For the first time since college, Ginn Jr. will wear his full last name on the back of his uniform. The sixth-year wideout was so pleased with his new threads, he posted a picture of his new uniform on his Instagram account.

Asked about the significance of the uniform alteration on Monday, Ginn called it, “a blessing for me.”

When 49ers assistant equipment manager Donovan “Doc” Dressler spoke with 49ers players about taking on the generational titles for their uniforms, Ginn Jr. jumped at the offer.

“It was always a childhood dream to have Ginn Jr. on my back,” the 49ers wide receiver said.

So when Ginn Jr. arrived at team headquarters over the weekend to begin working out with rookies and fellow veterans who missed out on the offseason program due to injury, seeing a red No. 19 jersey with “Ginn Jr.” on the back was cherished immediately.

“I was pumped,” Ginn Jr. said. “I loved it.”

Ginn Jr.’s father, Theodore Ginn Sr., is the longtime head football coach at Glenville High School where he once coached his son and 49ers safety Donte Whitner. The tight-knit relationship of the Cleveland natives was also the subject of a 49ers Gameday Magazine cover story last season.

When Ginn Jr. recently sent a photo of the new uniform via text message to his father asking him if he liked the uniform, Ginn Sr. replied back, “Yeah, that’s cold!”

WATCH TED GINN JR.’S PRESS PASS.

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “Ted Ginn Jr. Pays Respect to Father”

1. By GLenn Cazar Jr on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I’m a JR so I feel him! I have a personalized “CAZAR” 49ers jersey for this year but now I want “CAZAR JR”

2. By Samuel on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Reblogged this on But at the end of the day… and commented:
    This is a nice thing to do now that we can thanks to the RG3 rule.

3. By spike on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Who cares? He might not even make the roster if Parrish Cox shows up. Not to mention LaMichael James and Kendall Hunter will be returning kicks.

4. By natedawg on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Ginn knows everyone huh? Didn’t he play with Troy Smith too? He was quite an awesome player in the NFL lol

5. By alex_fn_smith on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

why is everyone dissing teddy all of a sudden

6. By PMS on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Congrats Ted. Being proud and respecting your parents is an awesome thing. Happy for Ya!

7. By Dave Barton on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

what a great story about my beloved San Fransisco 49ers. I feel a CHAMPIONSHIP brewing!!!!!!! LET”S GO 49ERS!!!!

8. By time2speakup on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

T.Ginn Jr is the one player that gets the most of my thoughts and hopes – and every positive ‘vibe’ I can generate. I have pulled for this kid since his college days for some reason. And now that he’s a Niner, my hope is that he finally, repeat finally turns that mythtical corner and becomes what he’s long desired – a legitimate receiving threat. Hey folks, it could happen. And just imagine what THAT would do to a D-Coords nervous system – Randy Moss, T. G Jr and V Davis along with whoever else on the field at once. Boom!

9. By boogieman49 on Jul 25, 2012 | Reply

everybody dissin ted but as soon as he scores a touchdown ya’ll cherrin like girls go “go ginn go”.shut up.