Morning Tailgate: July 23

Posted by Taylor Price on July 23, 2012 – 9:56 AM

In just a few hours, 49ers rookies and a few early arriving veterans will speak with the media to discuss their mindset heading into training camp. Rookies officially reported over the weekend, and many were in awe once they arrived at team headquarters to discover game jerseys hanging in their lockers.

The 49ers will utilize the game jerseys to increase practice tempo, and to allow players to get a feel for proper blocking technique in game equipment.

As for the veterans, many have already made their way to team headquarters in Santa Clara. The group, however, won’t officially report until Thursday. Practices begin promptly on Friday.

But before camp can officially get underway, let’s examine the top storylines heading into camp after the jump.

Khaled Elsayed of ProFootballFocus.com lists wide receiver as the top position battle to watch for the 49ers. Elsayed expects Kyle Williams’ playing time to increase as the year goes on.

Pro Football Weekly’s Hub and Dan Arkush overview San Francisco’s offseason heading into camp in this video segment.

Cam Inman of The San Jose Mercury News examines the 49ers role as Super Bowl contenders heading into camp. Inman: “Coach Jim Harbaugh first huddled his 49ers together a year ago at training camp, launching a startling journey that led to the franchise’s first NFC Championship game since 1998.Beginner’s luck? Hardly.Will there be a triumphant encore? Quite possibly.”

Inman also offers five questions to track during camp.

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee writes draft picks Joe Looney and Darius Fleming are expected to begin camp on the physically unable to perform list, citing league sources. Barrows: “Placing them on PUP does not save roster spots during training camp and the preseason. However, it would allow the 49ers to keep the players on PUP when the season begins, a move which would open roster spots.”

Barrows also shares his top training camp storylines.

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports lists Randy Moss among his top 20 players looking to regain their form in 2012.

NFL.com offers photos of Alex Smith golfing in the American Century Celebrity Golf Championships over the weekend. Smith finished t-48; Jerry Rice finished in 31st place.

CEO Jed York gave away two tickets and pre-game field passes to a 49ers regular season game over the weekend.

Tags: , , , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 38 Comments »

38 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: July 23”

1. By okcniner on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Khaled expects Kyle Williams playing time to increase as the year goes on? I like Kyle Williams but what might prompt this guy to think his time on the field will increase with the additions of Moss and Manningham? Not to mention that as the season progresses A.J. Jenkins should get more comfortable with the playbook and system which should increase his playing time. Where do they find these guys?

2. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I hear ya’ okc niner, but what if ted ginn jr. doesnt make the team, williams can return kicks but so also can lamichael james, that is what makes the intrigue for training camp so great

3. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I have 2 extra fan fest tickets,who wants to go?!!

4. By Basil on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

“Alex Smith Will Shock the NFL, Lead San Francisco 49ers to Super Bowl in 2012″ good read about Alex!

(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1266960-alex-smith-will-shock-the-nfl-lead-san-francisco-49ers-to-super-bowl-in-2012?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers}

5. By rjdniner on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

1def I know we DO NOT SEE EYE TO EYE ON THINGS to do that for someone in that area is outstanding .

6. By 49er Pride on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

#1 Defense, it would be great if i can get one of the tickets

7. By Basil on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

if you haven’t seen this, its a good read by the best QB!

Joe Montana among those believing in 49ers’ Super Bowl shot

(http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2012/07/19/joe-montana-among-those-believing-in-49ers-super-bowl-shot/comment-page-1/#comment-86270))

8. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I want to take this time to say sorry to basil and rjdniner for ripping them on a public blog site I will from now on keep my opinion of others to my self as long as we maintain the topic of 49er football, I hope everyone will understand and your welcome to the 2 people I gave my extra fan fest tickets to

9. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

a post made by fan of the century on the morning tailgate blog from july 20th has opened my eyes to my over the top behavior regarding trivial things

10. By fan of the century on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

there you go young man,your grandfather who has left you your season tickets would be proud of you today, THATS how a man should act
    GO 49ERS!!

11. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

@ fan of the century, after reading your post from july 20th, it reminded me of something my grandfather would have said, I feel ashamed of my recent behavior
    and I know that my father and his father would have taken away the season tickets if they had seen me behave that way

12. By 9er 9er on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I’m of the opinion also that Ginn could be headed down the road. With the additions of Moss and Manningham, Ginn isn’t really needed at receiver. Williams and James can combine to get the return job done. Plus it saves some cap for other use down the line. I like Ginn but business is buisness…

13. By Basil on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Myself I think Ginn is the best return man we have, maybe the fastest as well? And you’re right not only is he not needed as a WR, he doesn’t have the hands for the job IMHO that is!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

14. By rjdniner on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

1def THANK YOU . I said some nasty thing’s I shouldn’t have said either. Sorry.

15. By goose49er on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Does anyone know how to get training camp tickets??

16. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

man I had no idea hampton was injured, I was looking forward to hearing of his progress this training camp.
    @ 9er 9er I agree with you that ginn just might be the odd man out,contractually speaking, with so much talent at wide-out there is no need for ginn to line up with alex and the offense,and with our rb situation james can return punts ,and wr williams can return kick offs, lets face it,I think we keep gore,hunter,jacobs,and lamichael james as our rb’s, with cartwright on speical teams,thats 5 rb’s, we need to lose some wr’s to keep that many backs,
    @ basil,you are correct in thinking ginn is our best kick off return man,but james the rb might just be better and faster than ginn at the punt return,
    so much to look forward to

17. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

its all just my honest opinion,which doesnt hold water at all, but it sounds good, james breaks free for an 80 yard td punt return but how can anyone forget how ginn won the season opener for us last year with a punt and kick off return
    so how can I say get rid of him, it may just come to down like 9er 9er said its a business and unloading ginns current deal frees up like some 4 million in cap space I think not sure on the numbers so dont quote me on it

18. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

49ers!!!!

19. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

wow only the very end of my last comment posted

20. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

after reading taylor price’s article on rookies reporting to camp,I was filled with a strong desire to,,,,,, sell my soul to satan to get to 9/9/2012 quicker
    !!!!!!49ers 2012!!!!!!

21. By CJay on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

Ginn was starting to come out as a WR… How can we forget the couple games he dang near won. I mean, we’ve never had a return man with his dynamic ability. I believe he may be a better receiver than K.Williams as well. I say lets leave Ginn in, and if he gets injured, LaMichael can provide depth… Let’s face it, 9ers can’t trust K. Williams anymore. I know we all feel bad for him, not entirely his fault… but still.

22. By 9er 9er on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

I think we can trust Williams. Imagine what he’s had to live with this off season. You learn from your mistakes and those were huge! Prior to that game he made quite a few contributions (especially at receiver) to last years great season. I’ll always remember Ginn’s two great returns as one of the highlights of 49er history, but I think I’d go with the kid’s potential over the current veteran’s ability. Also, I hate to say this, Jenkins as a first rounder, may turn out to be a bust. No one hopes he’s more wrong about that statement than I do. I’m going to go with Williams receiving and return ability…

23. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

why

24. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

is it that

25. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

the server for this blog site sometimes just wont load your comments no matter how big or small they are?????? very frustrating

26. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

this years starting rb’s: FRANK GORE-KENDALL HUNTER-LAMICHAEL JAMES-BRANDON JACOBS-ROCK CARTWRIGHT-(cartwright plays exclusively on special teams)
    this years starting wide-outs: RANDY MOSS-MARIO MANNINGHAM-MICHAEL CRABTREE-A.J. JENKINS
    thats 5 rb’s and 4 wide-outs, 9 players for the 53 man,leaving only 45 spots for the rest of the team
    we are for sure keeping 6 lb’s willis,bowman,aldon,grant,haralson,brooks,leaving only 39 roster spots you see where im coming from yet?
    not alot of room left for all the talent we have at wide-out

27. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

and lets not forget, on the offensive line we have-STALEY-IUPATI-GOODWIN-BOONE-& DAVIS, LEAVING 34 SPOTS
    TE’s-VERNON-DELANIE-BYHAM & JENNINGS, leaving 30 spots
    with the above named players that leaves only 30 roster spots to create back-ups at the offensive line and defensive line,thats 5 back-up spots for each leaving 20 roster spots, and we still havent got into the back-ups for the db’s or the guys who are going to make up the core of our special teams
    training camp is going to leave alot of guys on the outside looking in

28. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

Am I crazy for thinking that we are just going to keep 6 receivers? Crab-Moss-MAnningham-Jenkins-Williams-Ginn? Ginn is the 6th receiver and the Number one return man. We would not have gone out of our way to sign him, if we didnt think it was necessary and think he would make the team.

29. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

wouldn’t*

30. By rjdniner on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

1def Am more into watching the development of our line, because if one goes down how good is the backup going to be, and the battle for that back up spot . thumps up on your posts .

31. By rjdniner on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

I meant our OL SORRY ABOUT THAT

32. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

NO ALL DAYY YOUR NOT CRAZY FOR THINKING THAT I ALSO GO BACK AND FORTH WITH THAT VERY SUBJECT,,THERE IS SO MUCH TALENT ACCROSS THE BOARD COACH HARBAUGH AND STAFF HAVE THEIR WORK CUT OUT FOR THEM THATS FOR SURE

33. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

but I do think that ginn’s slows progress and growth as a receiver has caused the team to draft or look for a guy who can do both, return kicks and play within the offense’s top 3 wide-out positions,that makes more sense than anything,and having a guy that can do both opens up another roster spot somewhere else,just like coach walsh used john taylor to return punts and play as the #2 wr,it allowed him to have another rb roster spot during those years.
    ginn did indeed show some improvement with his ball catching skills,but his cap number & jenkins being a 1st round pick,& lamicaheal james ability to return punts,it doesnt bode well for the guy.

34. By Basil on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

1 0 Rate Up

35. By Basil on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

sorry rjd, just trying to post and it won’t let me, Says its a duplicate ??? And it wasn’t .So I just copy your’s to see if that would post and it did. I don’t get it ……… I just don’t understand?

peace out

36. By rjdniner on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

There is a subject that is extremely important to the game of football, the situation between the NFL and the referees Me, I don’t want to hear that we have replacements controlling the game.

37. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 24, 2012 | Reply

and the truth will set you free

38. By Basil on Jul 27, 2012 | Reply