Morning Tailgate: July 20

Posted by Alex Espinoza on July 20, 2012 – 11:02 AM

Need more proof that the 49ers-Saints thriller from last year’s playoffs was an all-time classic? After the contest earned the fans’ vote as the Game of the Year at the ESPYs, NFL.com recently called the memorable matchup the top contest from the 2011 season. In all, the 49ers took part in four tilts included in NFL.com’s Top 20 NFL Games of 2011 series.

NFL.com analyst Elliot Harrison broke down the 49ers-Saints matchup and wrote, “This was the game everyone remembers most. Of the 50 or so people I talked to about games from last season, this was the contest that always came up. Much like our No. 1 game of 2010, this one was easily discernible from the rest.”

Find out which other games made the Top-20 cut and see who Alex Smith and Jerry Rice are teeing off with in today’s first round of the American Century Golf Classic. Those stories and more after the jump.

NFL.com also ranked the heartbreaking NFC Championship game as the No. 3 game of the year in 2011, while the 49ers-Cowboys Week 2 matchup checked in at No. 9 and the 49ers-Giants Week 10 regular season contest ranked at No. 18.

Smith was reunited with his college coach Urban Meyer on the golf course today along with Packers LB A.J. Hawk for the first round of the American Century Golf Classic. Rice, meanwhile, was paired with Packers QB Aaron Rodgers and Cowboys QB Tony Romo. Click here to view the full pairings for Friday’s first round. NFL.com also put together a photo gallery of NFL stars on the golf course.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com offered his analysis of the 49ers roster heading into training camp. Maiocco: “Defensive lineman Demarcus Dobbs and receiver Joe Hastings are examples of players who arrived at 49ers training camp a year ago with little or no fanfare and eventually earned  roster spots. Rookies are scheduled to report to training camp in Santa Clara on Saturday, and each will have a chance to climb the depth chart to stick with the team this season in some form.”

Craig Massei of Scout.com discussed the quarterbacks for each team in the NFC West. Massei: “After finishing ninth among NFL quarterbacks last year with a career-best 90.7 passer rating, Smith enters training camp this year as the clear starter, particularly after standing out amongst his competition during a strong spring during which Harbaugh continually praised Smith’s progress.”

LaMichael James and the rest of the 49ers rookie class are set to report to team headquarters on Saturday.

Tags: ,

73 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: July 20”

1. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

ROOKIES REPORT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELLS YES!!!!!!!!!!!!GOT MY SEASON TICKETS IN THE MAIL YESTERDAY,,,ITS A GREAT FEELING KNOWING THAT I WILL BE AT EVERY GAME AGAIN THIS YEAR. THANK YOU GRANDAD FOR NEVER SELLING YOUR SEASON TICKETS AND THANK YOU FATHER FOR GIVING THEM TO ME AND I HOPE MY SON IS JUST AS THANKFUL WHEN I GIVE THEM TO HIM.. 49ERS FOREVER IN MY FAMILY AS I HOPE IN ALL OF YOURS!!!

2. By hazardrox on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Can’t wait to see the RED & GOLD again this season!!! Let’s do it 9ers!

3. By Basil on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

RIP ……………… Aurora!

4. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

woot niners games are comin soon ….hard work guys …keep it up and carry the niner pride all season

5. By 10 August Friday 3 weeks on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

Weapons. My favorite player far and away Kendall Hunter, La Michael, Frank, Brandon

Moss, Manningham Taylor Rice Solomon bookends! LaMichael, Kendall both good receivers. AJ will do OK next year. The Crab is ready now.

Scott Tolzien and Drew Brees are your best quarterbacks . ! Play this years Super Bowl in your new Stadium. It will be ready after the 16 game regular season. No more wind and cold and rain. Santa Clara has 364 nice days per year! Weather blows East of there chronically.

6. By okcniner on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

July and August are easily the toughest months of the years…..the anticipation of the upcoming season kills me!!!

7. By greg49ermontgomery on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

I can`t wait either .I got my sunder ticket hook-up and ready to rpll

8. By greg49ermontgomery on Jul 20, 2012 | Reply

you like my spelling?

9. By CJay on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

I’m hearing all kind of outside hate, even Ray Ratto (like always)… That guy drives me nuts, Mr. Pessimistic with everything dealing with 9ers or Giants… I could be a non-9er fan and still see the stock load of talent. I mean, let alone how big the rookies played a part in last years success. They be better for one, for 2 had an amazing draft this year, for 3 they’ve added an arsenal of free hungry free agents… Even if an injury slew happens, We’re ready! Go 9ers!

10. By True Niner Fan on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

Just watched the last 7 minutes of the 9ers saints game on NFL network ,WOOOOOW!! Can’t wait for this season……NINERS all the waaaaay baby!!!!!!

11. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

an awesome feeling knowing that rookies are in camp today july 21st. no word on aj jenkins signing yet??? lamichael james is there geting ready to take away the punt return duties from ted ginn jr. ,,man I am so excited its going to be hard to wait for that 1st pre-season game,,aug 10,friday night game at the “stick against the vikings,,tick tock tick tock,,

12. By rjdniner on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

Like everyone else am looking forward to the start of the season. GO INNERS

13. By robert l. craig jr on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

To all you 49er haters guess what almost time to go at it, and my question to you is are you really ready cause i dont think you want it !!!! 49ER 4 LIFE AND NONE OF YALL ARE NEW

14. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

hahahahahah,a,,go inners?? how about go niners,,, I wont even say it,,you prove it yourself with every post you make,,

15. By rjdniner on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

Yaw sometimes I do mess up on my spelling I admit it you think it’s a big deal you go ahead and type what you want. GO NINERS

16. By Basil on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

The 49ers signed first-round WR A.J. Jenkins, 4 year deal!

17. By rjdniner on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

BASIL .So now we got all our 2012 draft under contract is that right ?

18. By Basil on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

you got it, their all under wrap, now all we need to do is to sign the golden boy, and I don’t see either side given in! And I really do hope I’m wrong, sometimes being wrong can be good, eh?
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

19. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

sometimes??,no rjdniner-fake fan, you do it ALL the time. and I wasnt asking if aj jenkins was signed yet, I knew that already,my question above about aj was rhetorical..but thanks anyways basil.and no I dont think its a big deal rjdniner-fake fan and you dont mind looking like an idiot all the time apparently,, you would think that after you got exposed telling all those lies on this blog that you wouldnt post on here anymore, I guess you really dont mind looking like a complete idiot,,

20. By lady niner on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

1-def, with all laughing aside, you should lighten up on the guy,rjdniner,yes,he had lied or boasted about stuff on the blog,and got caught in his un-truths,but he says he wants the 49ers to win,isnt that good enough?

21. By rjdniner on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

GO NINERS

22. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

he is nothing more than a fair weather fan,you yourself saw his posts about his beloved jaguars of the 2000’s

23. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

he stopped following the team after the steve young era

24. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

A TRUE FAN STICKS WITH THE TEAM WIN OR LOSE RJDNINER-FAKEFAN

25. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

he stopped following the 49ers after the steve young era,as his previous posts about his beloved jaguars shows, and wants to jump on the band wagon of the 49ers newly found success

27. By rjdniner on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

1DEF YOU TAKE CARE AND ENJOY THOSE GAMES …..GO NINERS

28. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

go back to rooting for your jaguars rjdniner-fakefan, or are you going to give up on them too?? lousy fake fan

29. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

I ABSOLUTELY HATE FAKE FAIR WEATHER FANS

30. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

THIS GUY,makes posts in early april how he lost interest in the 49ers after the steve young era,started watching the jaguars because mark brunell reminded him of steve young, and now has the nerve to call him self a true fan,,

31. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

STOP ACTING LIKE A LOYAL FAN YOU HAVE PROVEN THAT YOU ARE NOT!

32. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

I have no stomach for fake a$$ people

33. By ace on Jul 21, 2012 | Reply

go niners !!!! wait no dont go plz stay the 49er fan base has always been in the city!!!!!

34. By ole niner fan on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

Been a fan since 1946 seen it all. From Frakie Albert on. Some great teams with horrible coaches, This year will tell about both. But looking good.

35. By Basil on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

” no word on aj jenkins signing yet???”

” and I wasnt asking if aj jenkins was signed yet, I knew that already,my question above about aj was rhetorical.”

Please ,,,,, !

36. By Basil on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

ole, any chance I saw ya at Kezar?

37. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

no basil there IS NO CHANCE you saw anyone at kezar, if you actually read the articles posted above the blogs you would have understood my rhetorical question was aimed at a member of the media,,but since you dont read the articles,I wouldn’t expect you to understand, SO,,your little attempt of a jab at me was stupid,,and lets not forget that your as big a liar as rjdniner-fakesfan,,or have you forgotten your post where you said you lived in green bay and talked smack to some packers fans at dinner about aaron rodgers and then 2 weeks later you posted that you live in seattle,,,LOSER!!!! WHY DO PEOPLE LIE ABOUT SUCH INSIGNIFICANT THINGS,,, ALSO DONT FORGET THAT MY WIFE SAW THOSE POSTS AS WELL,,SO IT AINT LIKE IM JUST MAKING THIS STUFF UP PAL

38. By Basil on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

Man you are so full of yourself, all you do is talk hate and put the real fans down. Now rather then talking hate all the time. Try talking some 9er football!
    And I never said I lived in seattle!

“THAT MY WIFE SAW THOSE POSTS AS WELL,,SO IT AINT LIKE IM JUST MAKING ” give me a break!

39. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

I dont understand why people lie about such trivial things. one of the very reasons why my wife doesnt post comments on this blog site she only reads the articles.and a few posts made by certain other people , “too many fakies,” she calls them. my wife and I met at a 49ers-cowboys game and have been together ever since.and yes ,one must remember that anyone can say anything on a blog site and not have to provide some kind of proof as to what they post is true or not,but when you contradict yourself in written form and boast and lie about things in written form and others see your insincerity,how can you even continue posting? wow,whatever,I know I dont have to lie to kick it

40. By rjdniner on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

Basil so he has to get his wife involved in this too, he seriously wants attention. I wonder maybe he lives in Mendocino co and smokes too much weed .I read a news article on that area .

41. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

basil, you yourself told me you live in seattle not green bay you liar, and yes my wife saw the posts im talking about you liar your a liar liar liar and thats all I do is talk 49er football you liar, take a look at my posts youll see many ,many others who agree with what I post,you liar,YOUR A LIAR AND YOUR MAD BECAUSE YOU FORGOT TO COVER UP YOUR LIES, LIAR

42. By lady niner on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

@ basil, yes you did post that you live in seattle, 1def said you couldnt have watched the 49ers lions game in geen bay because the packers were playing at home at the same time the 49ers lions game was on and you said quote,”I DONT LIVE IN GREEN BAY I LIVE IN SEATTLE” I saw it myself. you guys and your lying about things that you have written should really remember about them because whwn you dont you get burned by them.

43. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

i STILL SAY BASIL AND RJDNINER-FAKEFAN ARE THE SAME PERSON

44. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

thank you lady niner, these guys just wont give up, like children trying to deny what they have done till the end, PATHETIC

45. By lady niner on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

I so remember his posts about his saying he lived in green bay and he was screaming at the tv when the eagles were playing the 49ers when justin smith caused maclins fumble and when you told him there was no way he could have watched the game because the packer game was on at the same time,
    fakies,they make me laugh at how bad they make themselves look,his reply was dude I dont live in green bay I live in seattle

46. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

WOW,THATS RIGHT IT WAS THE EAGLES-49ER GAME HE WAS LYING ABOUT AS WELL,
    thank you lady niner,he has lied so much I got the games he’s lied about mixed up
    but that doesnt change the fact dude is a huge LIAR

47. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

basil you remind me of my son when he was a toddler, he would pee his pants and when asked ” did you pee in your pants?” he would say ” no I didnt its water, no I didnt its water, he would continue to lie even after he was caught in his lie
    you and rjdniner-fakefan, the exact same thing, LIARS LIARS LIARS

48. By Basil on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

Probably 90% of your post are full of hate, why are you so full of hate? Hate is really a wast of energy and causes stress and we all know that stress can be fatal, and I for one wouldn’t want anything to happen to you Dude! So chill why don’t you ?
    We have a really good team and I wouldn’t want you too miss any of the season!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!
    And yes I’ve seen many games at Kezar, across the street from Poly, yep! been there done that!

49. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

NO 100 % HATE DIRECTED TOWARDS YOU AND RJDNINER-FAKEFAN ONLY

50. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

51. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

you have seen no games at kezar, you have been exposed as a liar, and you can take your petty threats and shove them up your as$

52. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

MY ONLY PROBLEM THAT I HAVE WITH YOU IS THAT YOUR A LIAR AND NOTHING YOU POST CAN BE BELIEVED

53. By lady niner on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

you must have a really lousy life basil to wish death upon someone

54. By lady niner on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

hey rjdniner, you got busted about lying as well so I really dont see the point of your adding your 2 cents

55. By lady niner on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

im really upset now,to lie about football and football related things is one thing,but to wish death upon someone is an entirely different matter,basil if your any kind of decent human being you wont say anything like that ever again,what would your mother think of you saying horrible things like that

56. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

she would probably same the same thing to him as she would about his lying,

57. By lady niner on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

to say something that horrible after what just happened in aurora basil makes me think you a terrible person with a horrible life I feel sorry for you

58. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

dont feel sorry for him,we,as men,are responsible for our actions as well as our words,and if he hasnt figured that out by now,he is no man or he is just a kid lying his way around the football blogs

59. By Basil on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

“hahahahahah,a,,go inners??’

“my football related posts are agreed with by many others,you can tell that by all the tumbs up attached to them”
    “tumbs up” eh?

60. By Basil on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

D you and your alter ego ‘Niner Lady’ are ONE sick puppy.

61. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

your the liar basil,and have proven it with your posts,we all make spelling mistakes,is that the only thing you can say you f ing liar?? a misspelled word of mine? that doesnt change the fact about how many people agree with my posts or the fact that my wife called you out on your lying as well,
    you are the kind of person who habitually lies just to make himself feel better aboust his miserable life,,loser

62. By lady niner on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

a glaring example of why I dont get engaged in posting on this blog because of creatures like this basil character, he lies,gets caught up in his lies when he cant keep them straight,and then gets angry at the people who expose him as a liar,and then wishes death upon them, sad,very,sad indeed

63. By lady niner on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

you obviously dont keep track of your lies very well basil,when you 1st made those posts about living in green bay,I called you on them right away,yet you tried to lie your way out of that lie,and then lied somemore without even trying to cover them,its like when the next days blog page is up you have completely forgotten the lies you told the day before, ” PPFFFTT” and your wishing death upon someone makes you an evil person and I will reply to you and this blog page no more thanks to you,,LIAR, LIAR, LIAR,LIAR

64. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

@ basil,heres another for you pal,you once posted to me that “I wouldnt talk to you that way in person”, like your some big threating person, yet you posted today that you might have seen ole niner fan at kezar stadium , after all that time how old would you be now??
    what are you gunna do? drool on me grandpa??
    caught in yet another set of lies,,dude,you should just quit posting
    wow,what a liar

65. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 22, 2012 | Reply

nothing you post will ever again be believe-able.
    you are a chronic liar that spend a good portion of his time looking at
    “YOUR COMMENT IS AWAITING MODERATION”
    and you KNOW what im talking about you liar
    LIAR!!!!

66. By Basil on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

71 ……. but it doesn’t take a lot to handle a blowhard!

67. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

WHAT A LIAR YOU ARE BASIL

68. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

you wouldnt even be able to hold my unit when I went pee you liar

69. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

sorry to everyone who has had the unfortunate experiance of reading the base exchanges between myself and BASIL THE LIAR. i dislike liars very much and point them out at every chance I get. as soon as BASIL THE LIAR stops repying and posting his garbage I will return to reading and sharing important and TRUE 49er football talk

70. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

if dude had just come out and admitted his lies or tried to say he miss-spoke when he posted said lies that would be one thing,but the way he snot even tried to deny the lies just pouring out more filth shows how untrue he has been

71. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

not once did he ever say,” I never said that” he only respnded with anger like most folks do when they are caught up in their lies

72. By fan of the century on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

@# 1 D-FENSE 2012, I too have seen some of the boastings of basil and rjdniner as well. I also have no tolerance for those who lie or boast about things to glorify themselves,yet I do not agree with the way you have gone about pointing them out. point it out to them,show them the errors of their ways and if they continue to do it well,at least you have shown everyone else how untrue they are and leave it at that. and can we PLEASE get back to 49er football talk,,,thank you

73. By Niners or nothing on Jul 23, 2012 | Reply

I would like to thank all you season ticket holders and game ticket buyers as well.
    Never have a black out, can’t wait for the season to start, all the food and wine I can handle in front of my 60″ Led!