Morning Tailgate: June 19

Posted by Taylor Price on June 19, 2012 – 10:05 AM

Today’s Morning Tailgate only features headlines regarding the recent passing of Edward J. DeBartolo Sr. San Francisco 49ers Hall of Famer, R.C. Owens.

The player and 49ers front office member affectionately known as “Oop,” carved out several memorable moments in his life. (Pictured above is Owens’ first ever “Alley Oop” catch against the Los Angeles Rams on Oct. 6, 1957). Dan Brown of The San Jose Mercury News recounted some of those stories and also caught up with 49ers historian Donn Sinn for some incredible details on Owens’ 49ers career.

According to Shinn, Owens was one of the first NFL players to challenge free agency. Owens, a dangerous vertical threat at the wide receiver position, also became one of the league’s first players to utilize gloves.

“Owens was also a pioneer in the use of gloves for pass catching during cold weather games,” Brown wrote in a recent post. “This was a practice that he developed during his years while playing for the College of Idaho. 49ers’ coach Howard ‘Red’ Hickey discouraged Owens from the practice of utilizing gloves saying “This is the NFL, son.”

More Owens headlines can be found after the jump.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com takes a look at the major achievements in Owens’ life, both on and off the football field. Maiocco: “Owens made a huge impact with the 49ers off the field when Eddie DeBartolo and Bill Walsh hired him to return to the organization in 1979. The 49ers had severed ties with their former players, and it was Owens’ responsibility to rebuild that bridge. He remained as alumni coordinator for the next 24 years, and was one of the most popular individuals in the organization.”

49ers.com remembered the highlights of Owens’ career, and shared a video of Owens’ 2011 49ers Hall of Fame induction speech. The former 49ers wideout began his speech by saying, “You know, if you don’t put anything in it, you won’t get anything out of it.”

CEO Jed York expresses the sentiments of the entire 49ers organization.

Tags: ,

26 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: June 19”

1. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

The 49er family has lost one of the truly great ones. It is a sad day for ALL 49er fans. owens changed the way defenses played coverage and forced teams to come up with what we today call zone coverage’s you have all heard of the back shoulder fade right? that was what rc was doing back in the day with the 49ers and “the alley oop”. the first player to begin wearing gloves,and the first player to challenge free agency. we have lost one of the great ones and todays players should take a moment and give a moment of thought to someone who helped pave the wave for todays game. this comment is an excerpt from an article I read to day in The San Mateo Times,not an opinion of my own,but I do agree with its msg. R.I.P R.C.OWENS, .my thoughts and prayers go out to your family and loved ones

2. By 11 Years of 49er Life on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

you were great for us

3. By lady niner on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

a sad day for the 49er family indeed,I remember clearly my father listening to the radio and screaming, ” throw it to owens,he is always open for the alley oop” just wanted to share that with ALL 49er fans,even the ones who hate alex and constantly berate each other

4. By Ron G on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Mr Owens was a great man, I stopped to talk with him years ago before entering a game at Candlestick Park. He thanked me for my time, wow I thought, if he only knew that he made my day by talking with him.

God Bless

5. By stephen galetti on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Did have the HONOR and pleasure of meeting and chatting with RC…Charming, decent man..Will be greatly missed by us NINER Faithful…RIP…..RC

6. By Basil on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

All YA had to do was to throw the ball high and into the end zone and RC would jump up grab the ball TD, was a good time to be at Kezar!

7. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

very well said lady niner,and see you after your dentist apptmnt. shame on you for logging in at work

8. By Kezar Vet on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

I’ll never forget RC’s first Alley-Oop catch for a game winning TD. It happened in the East end zone right in front of the Christopher Junion 49er Club. He was a real winner, as a player and as a man.

9. By robert on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

no disrespect meant to montana or rice but owens was the greatest man and 49er of all time.i,ll say a prayer for family and friends.

10. By Basil on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

Wow he’s talking to himself, ha ha ha too much man! the guy really needs help. defense get help!

11. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

basil/rjdniner,”your comment is awaiting moderation” finally went away huh? and your I.P. address is still the same as your alter ego rjdniner,dude,seriously. your the one who needs help,everytime you change your name from basil to rjdniner the IP address stays the same,the only person your fooling is yourself

12. By lady niner on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

13. By lady niner on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

basil,my husband and I dont share the same computer so I can asure you that he is not me but he can be rude sometimes,just like alot of you are at times on this particular blog,and I think its shameful for all you fans who talk bad to each other,we are all fans of the same team with the same goals,,to win the super bowl

14. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

cant believe the saints players are saying they are innocent of any bounty programs when gregg williams has already said that there were bounty programs in place and provided the league with proof of it

15. By lady niner on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

ooh that is still going on? I havent been on here since those guys called me names for saying alex smith is a great qb.jeromy and 7 years with alex were their names,early may I think was the last time I logged on. I heard those tapes from before the nfc championship against the 49ers and I just knew they were guilty

16. By lady niner on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

I like your coment about rc owens #1 def,it made me cry

17. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

and basil/rjdniner, I would suggest you go back to morning tailgate june 18th and re-read it

18. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

starting with dave g’s post to me

19. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

YES !!!!!!! just got my confirmation e-mail from the 49ers ticket office. I am the proud new owner of 2 tickets in the new stadium,section 203 upper level, row 12 seats 15-16, life is good

20. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

it seems like so long ago that I got the email saying I was on the waiting list,and now its no longer a maybe but I got the section numer,seats and row. CANT WAIT TO HOST A SUPER BOWL THERE

21. By Basil on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

you do go on : and BTW a post is the same as a signature. Its hard for me to look at Lady Niner and #1 without seeing the same poster. With that said, this is the last time I’ll post to you. Your just too negative and you go on about nothing, Chow!

22. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

please let it be the last time you post at all

23. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

after all your name changing today and waiting for, ” your comment is awaiting moderation” you gotta be sick of it by now

24. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

a post is the same as signature? if thats the case than ladybug is the fanster as well. she uses twice as many comma’s as that dude did

25. By # 1 D-FENSE 2012 on Jun 19, 2012 | Reply

face it basil/rjdniner,you got embarrased when I pointed out the ravens have only been to one super bowl after you posted that you had been talking smack to ravens fans saying they have lost super bowls and how you walked away laughing at them, moron,and you still havent addressed the issue as to why you and rjdniner have the same IP address. basil/rjdniner one in the same person

26. By Lisa on Jun 26, 2012 | Reply

R.I.P RC, we had so many goodtimes at games. Will miss are talks.