• Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM PDT The Fiahtful Episode 1 "The Faithful" is a documentary series by 49ers Studios that is truly for the fans because it is the fans. Narrated by two-time Super Bowl champion Dwight Hicks, the show will take fans on journeys into the lives of the greatest 49ers stories that need to be told.

Tony Jerod-Eddie Gets His Kicks

Posted by Taylor Price on June 1, 2012 – 11:05 AM

As an undrafted rookie in the National Football League, there’s plenty of juggling taking place off the field. Players have to manage their time efficiently while learning a new playbook, the name’s of veteran teammates and the coaching styles of a new staff. That happens all while rookies adjust to a new environment in a new city.

Apparently, defensive tackle Tony Jerod-Eddie has taken the juggling term to the field, literally.

The 6-foot-5, 301-pound Texas A&M product could be spotted passing a soccer ball around with defensive line mates Will Tukuafu and Isaac Sopoaga prior to Thursday’s Organized Team Activity in Santa Clara.

It wasn’t so much seeing the players kick the ball around that was surprising, it was the juggling skills of Jerod-Eddie that was rather astonishing. The massive lineman had no problem flicking the soccer ball from foot to foot while defensive teammates looked on.

Come to find out, the second-team All-Big 12 performer in 2012 that started 38 games for the Aggies played soccer in his senior season at Dallas’ DeSoto High School. However, the soccer experience took place when Jerod-Eddie was 60 pounds lighter.

“I started out trying to play goalie, but it was a lot harder than I thought,” Jerod-Eddie recalled of his fútbol days. “I tried it and I was getting scored on a lot, so my coach moved me to forward.”

The American football standout enjoyed the experience of playing soccer and still watches soccer games to this day. Jerod-Eddie says Lionel Messi, the renowned Argentinean scorer, is his favorite player on the pitch.

But when it came to passing the ball around prior to the start of Thursday’s OTA session, Jerod-Eddie considered it to be “a pretty nice little warmup.” The soccer balls, for those wondering, are used in special teams drills for gunners to simulate downing the ball inside the 5-yard line. In this case, the defensive linemen decided to play pass after they had stretched for practice.

In addition to building camaraderie with his veteran position mates, Jerod-Eddie considers himself to be a sponge at this point of his career.

At every turn, the 22-year-old defensive tackle is observing the likes of Sopoaga, Justin Smith and Ray McDonald.

“All those guys are great guys,” Jerod-Eddie said. “They all try to help me out. They want me to succeed. I learn a lot from those guys and my coach.

“You try to be a sponge and soak up as many good things as you can from those guys. That’s what I try to do every day.”

Tags: , , , ,

7 Responses to “Tony Jerod-Eddie Gets His Kicks”

1. By corvaninerfan on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

I think Jerod-Eddie has a shot to make the team…he’s got the build and strength to play NT. If Sopoaga were to go down, I know Jean-Francois can hold the fort down, but for the future J-E could be the answer. He could add 20+ lbs on his frame fairly easily.

2. By corvaninerfan on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

I think Jerod-Eddie has a shot to make the roster…he’s got the frame to add 20 lbs or so and is definitely strong enough. Should Soap go down, I know Jean-Francois can hold the fort down for awhile, but J-E could be our future NT.

3. By EShy on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

There are some great players at his position on the niners so he can learn a lot.
    and someone should get his soccer skills on video, should be an amusing sight…

Didn’t Joe Staley spend some time in Europe going to soccer games? I always liked it when players in the US are fans of sports that aren’t that popular here (soccer, rugby etc)

4. By Gabri Ciller on Jun 3, 2012 | Reply

I think Jerod-Eddie is going to be able in a year or two to lead the team a take 49ers back to the road of victory.

5. By Micah on Jun 4, 2012 | Reply

I havent heard much about this kid but I love the article and J-E has the look and build of a great interior Lineman. Only time will tell but with the knowledge he is soaking up from our great DL he will only get better and when his chance does come hopefully he can replace a starter and fit right in. It would be great to have another dominant DT so we can have fresh legs on the field all the time and just rotate our DL considering I feel there really is no huge standout in the group, I feel Sopoaga, Mcdonald, and Ricky Jean are all pretty much equal maybe with Sopoaga at the top of the list but Mcdonald played great last season and really culd take that first spot from Sopoaga. Anyway we have depth and that is great. Dobbs is gonna be a beast this season also, with the limited time I saw him play last season I loved what I saw. Can’t wait for the season opener!!!! I will be there at Lambeau wearing my red and white and screaming the loudest in the stadium!!!!! Goooooo Niners lets take the Pack beat them down and start the season off right. Whos got it better than us? NOOOBBBBOOOODDDDDYYYYY!!!!! I love my Niners!!

6. By CMB on Jun 4, 2012 | Reply

This kid is money. I can’t believe he wasn’t drafted. He played in a 3-4 Def at A&M. Let him sit and learn and he can be a star.

7. By time2speakup on Jun 4, 2012 | Reply

By the time the Packs third possession rolls around, all you will hear in Lambeau is: “The Sound of Silence.” Mark my word.