Vernon Davis Likes 49ers Makeup

Posted by Taylor Price on May 31, 2012 – 5:28 PM

As the No. 43 overall player in the game today, according to NFL Network’s Top 100 Players of 2012 list, tight end Vernon Davis is pleased to see so many teammates joining him on the list.

As last year’s No. 88 overall player, Davis made the biggest leap from last year’s bunch, climbing 45 spots to his current ranking.

You might think Davis is excited with the increased respect from the NFL players who voted, but that’s really not the case.

“I’m more excited about my teammates being on the list,” Davis told 49ers.com.

“It’s nice,” Davis also said. “But like anyone, I always want better.”

In the mind of the versatile 49ers tight end, joining teammates NaVorro Bowman, Carlos Rogers and Joe Staley (so far) on the list is special.

To Davis, it’s a testament to the improvements made by the 49ers.

“It says a lot to be on the Top 100 list,” said the 6-foot-3, 250-pound tight end who is entering his seventh season in San Francisco. “It says a lot about this team and what we have. We have a lot of guys that are hard workers, dedicated, and love football. At the end of the day, that’s what it’s about.”

In addition to the nucleus in place, Davis has enjoyed getting to know new teammates like Randy Moss, Mario Manningham and Brandon Jacobs.

A veteran like Moss, for example, has plenty of insight to share. Davis makes sure to soak up all of it.

“Randy Moss,” began Davis, “he’s not just a player, he’s a coach.”

Although the two play different positions, Davis couldn’t help but listen intently when Moss began to detail route-running on the practice fields.

“We were out there today and he was coaching me up on some things,” Davis said. “And I’ll take it; I’ll take him up on it because he’s been in the game a lot longer than me.

“I’m more than happy to have Randy Moss on the team.”

As for Manningham and Jacobs, the two contributors from the Super Bowl-Champion New York Giants, Davis has appreciated the hard-working efforts of his former foes.

Davis described Manningham as a “play-maker,” and also added, “He’s a big asset to our team.”

Jacobs, the physically imposing runner, left a similar impression on Davis.

“He can really get it done,” Davis said. “If you watch highlights of him in the playoffs and heading into the Super Bowl, he did some wonderful things. I’m very happy to have him a part of our family.”

The family continues to grow bonds with newcomers getting reps in the offensive and defensive systems for their first times. So does the relationships between longtime teammates.

For Davis, working with quarterback Alex Smith for an eighth year is a big plus.

In previous years, Davis came up with the phrase “11-85 connection” to describe the two’s on-field relationship.

As of 2012, the “11-85 connection” remains the same, if not better.

“I love it,” Davis said on his relationship with Smith. “I expect it to get even better. I want to capitalize on what we had in the playoffs. I want to be there for Alex and I expect the rest of the receiving core to be there as well.”

The growing chemistry between Smith, Davis, and the receivers is a big development for a team one win away from a sixth Super Bowl appearance in franchise history.

But as Davis points out, the team’s concentration has to pick up for the 49ers to take greater steps.

“We have a lot to be excited about around here. We’re winning, but we have to keep our focus, stay on the right track and don’t forget what it took last year to get where we were. We can’t forget that.”

Tags: , , , ,

26 Responses to “Vernon Davis Likes 49ers Makeup”

1. By TheRock49 on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Vernon is going to kill it this season. After the New Orleans game, Alex and Vernon tasted that game wining moment.They will be all over it this year. Because the “BEAST” is going to get let out.Peace to all NINERS.

2. By JTS on May 31, 2012 | Reply

I have not been this fired up about a season in 11 years!

3. By Dub9er on May 31, 2012 | Reply

I say willis gore and akers will join vernon, staley, bowman, and rogers on the NFL top 100.

4. By Tim Johnson on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

IT’s the 49er’s time to shin again.The best should alway’s win and the 9er’s with Coach Harbaugh the San franciso 49er’s are Superbowl bound.I can’t wait until the season start’s.(:

5. By bojo49ers on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

vernon davis is the best in the west

6. By dgon on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

Vernon likes makeup? Bro, you gotta keep that stuff personal.

7. By EG49er4Life on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

I am very excited, cant even wait for the season to start!!! Is going to be “own like Dkong” this season, V the BEAST and the The GOLDEN SHIELD DEFENSE, with our new Recieving Core and the return of the general A Smith…We are definitivly Super Bowl Bound…Its been a long time for us faithful, and our team. It is our time to shine..GO NINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. By ace on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

it still brings tears of joy to my eyes when vernon catches the last second come from behind go ahead touchdown catch against the saints and starts crying his own tears of joy,wow …..go niners so exicting !!! ty coach harbough for making us believe in ourselves again !!!

9. By DONALD 49 on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

LOOK OUT FOR THE 9ERS BACK FIELD LA MJ BJ FG @AD O MY LORD

10. By Uncle Herbie on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

?? The only makeup I’ve ever seen VD wear is eye black…

11. By Steven on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

Nice! I’m really curious to see which 3 Niners are going to be presented in the Top 40 and where…I’m thinking Willis, Gore or Aldon Smith, and the motor man Justin Smith. Justin should be Top 10 the way he played last year! Go Niners!

12. By Sport stalk on Jun 2, 2012 | Reply

Harbough and staff have done a great job of putting together a great looking roster. I can’t help but think of comparisons to Pittsburg and new England. Please Vernon, keep your emotions in check.

13. By SGray on Jun 2, 2012 | Reply

“Randy Moss,” began Davis, “he’s not just a player, he’s a coach.”
    This proves total worth. May be the biggest off season acquisition the 49ers made. Positive results on the field may someday show how signing Moss may have been one of the most important decisions the 49ers have ever made. Hope he’s truly ready to give it up between the lines this time around.

14. By SGray on Jun 2, 2012 | Reply

A 16 game season makes the off season too long. Make it 20 games. True 49er fans can’t take this extended wait time!

15. By Dan Patterson on Jun 2, 2012 | Reply

Don’t forget the cowboy on the defensive line Justin Smith

16. By DB on Jun 2, 2012 | Reply

Vernon is our favorite. Both my boys and I will be cheering him on and we know he is going to be just as great (and even better) then he was last season. Vernone “you rock”

17. By alex_fn_smith on Jun 3, 2012 | Reply

this is gonna be a great season,with no key injuries, and if theres no me me me,if everybody plays as a team, we are gonna be unstoppable,i honestly dont see anybody getting by our defense,and im pretty sure nobody can stop our offense,especially with our running backs,we can win games by doing nothing but running, so adding moss and jenkins and manningham, and a crabtree who seems more focused, and an alex smith who proved a lot of people wrong last year, who got to actually go over the playbook this off-season unlike last year,and is oozing confidence….i dont see anyone stopping us….WHOS GOT IT BETTER THAN US???

18. By RAWB1nHooD801 on Jun 3, 2012 | Reply

Cant wait to watch our N1NERS ….lets GOooo …N1NERNATION#1

19. By Lawrence Timpson on Jun 3, 2012 | Reply

To have all 11 starters back on defense will be the key to the season… With the defense having a full offseason to mend together even more- it allows the coaching staff to concentrate some more on the offense. With a solid running game, and having two backs to give Gore some relief he should actaully have an outstanding year… Moss, Crabtree and Manninhan will open up the middle even more for Davis (who will have 75 catches for over 1k and 10 TD’s this year)… Super Bowl should be this teams goal….

20. By Lawrence Timpson on Jun 3, 2012 | Reply

Now looking at the schedule its a lot tougher than last year; but I think that is to the advantage of ‘OUR NINERS”… it gives them the mindset of taking every game so serious… I actaully see us having a better record than last year with a 14-2 mark…. the tough games -Packers-Lions-Giants-Saints-Patriots- should produce 1 lose especially since 3 are on the road… and they will prob lose 1 conf game…. but TRUST me…. Our defense will be even better than last year and will remain #1 the entire year… and our Offense will make HUGE gains… Look out NFL… the prestige is back with the NINERS!!!!!!!

21. By Niner Forever on Jun 3, 2012 | Reply

Can wait for the season to start!! I know we will win a Super Bowl…we have too much talent on the team and great coaching staff….THIS IS OUR YEAR!!

22. By NateTheGreat on Jun 4, 2012 | Reply

JT says it best. I have not been this excited for a season since 1994.

23. By John hawaii on Jun 4, 2012 | Reply

The D should be called ” THE RED CRUSH”

24. By John hawaii on Jun 4, 2012 | Reply

The D should be called ” THE RED CRUSH” peace out

25. By NinerFanFrmTonga on Jun 4, 2012 | Reply

I know we are going to win a super-bowl soon. I just hope it’s the 2013 super-bowl. Go Niners!!!! V. Davis and the rest of our new offensive weapons will make defenses want to just weep for relief, they will pray for the final whistle to be blown so they don’t have to face the Niners again. Our defense will make offenses want to do the same. Our division is going to want to move to other divisions because a dynasty has been born again….lol. The days of the Rams, Falcons, and the Saints handing us six automatic wins in a season will be reborn in new names (except for the Rams) like Cardinals, Seahawks each year for the remaining Harbaugh contracted years and beyond if he signs with us again. The Walsh dynasty gave us five superbowls, and if I have pegged Harbaugh correctly, he will want to do a little better than that for us. He will win more than one super-bowl, I just hope the Niners organization is smart enough to make all of them Niners S-Bowls. Goo Niners

26. By jp49erfan on Jun 5, 2012 | Reply

Aldon Smith wont be on it (even though he should be)! My opionion is Alex, WIllis and Gore, I am sure they wont give it ot Alex though (He should have been comeback player of the year too!) It will be Gore, J. Smith and Willis