Brandon Jacobs Plans to Cut Weight

Posted by Alex Espinoza on May 30, 2012 – 11:03 AM

In an ideal world, Brandon Jacobs will be feasting in mid-February of next year as the 49ers celebrate their sixth Super Bowl title. But in order to get there, Jacobs will be watching his weight to become a more explosive weapon for San Francisco’s offense.

On Tuesday, Jacobs told reporters he plans to cut about 10 pounds off his current weight, which stands at about 266 pounds. When Jacobs does shed the extra weight, it will mark the first time he’s played under 260 pounds since college.

“I remember a coach my sophomore year telling me, ‘If you get up to 260, they’re going to move you to defensive end,’” Jacobs said. “I remember that in the back of my head.”

It looks like the coach was wrong. Jacobs has gone on to win two Super Bowls with the New York Giants as a centerpiece of the rushing attack. His plan is to cut the “stuff that sticks to your bones” out of his diet – foods like potatoes that are filled with carbohydrates.

“I think I could move faster, I could hit the hole harder and I could deliver a little bit more of a punch if I’m lighter versus being heavy,” Jacobs said.

If all goes well, the diet will only be temporary. Following New York’s victory over the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, Jacobs enjoyed the next few weeks on vacation and at the dinner table, weighing as much as 285 pounds.

“We just relaxed, ate, took trips and had fun, my wife and I and my son,” Jacobs said. “We just traveled and did a whole bunch of things. We really didn’t care about anything, we just ate.”

After enjoying his Super Bowl victory, Jacobs said it only took him three weeks to get back down to his playing weight.

“I wasn’t really meant to be that big,” Jacobs said. “I still looked like this, though, which is a good thing for me. I could be 280 and still look great like this.”

Tags:

10 Responses to “Brandon Jacobs Plans to Cut Weight”

1. By ben hernandez on May 30, 2012 | Reply

Jacob,don’t tell me ,show me!!Us 49er fans would really like to see you
    under 260lbs.!!

2. By kurt on May 30, 2012 | Reply

don’t get to small we have enough small backs. we brought him in for the redzone to be a powerfull back. as long as he stays strong were good.

3. By NinerFanFromTonga on May 30, 2012 | Reply

I like his commitments to excellence. I like that he will take the extra weight off to punish the impact at the line and beyond. I like that he is doing squats to improve his speed and power at impact. These are all good signs. I hope it’s not just words, I hope it will happen. We haven’t had that kind of runner in red and gold for a while. Looking forward to seeing it happen.

4. By Terrell lowe on May 31, 2012 | Reply

I think its a good thing,that he is losing wieght. Go Niners!

5. By chuckle49er on May 31, 2012 | Reply

Yeah boy! I can’t wait to see you pounding opposition defenses.

6. By ZenTwist on May 31, 2012 | Reply

bet he doesn’t make the final cut, there is some super competition at his position younger and cheaper as well… He looked done to me against the Niners when he chose to run out of bounds like he didn’t want to get hit.. Not a fan..

7. By AL Lamar on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

A fews pounds lost will not hurt the team I believe. However, he is a power back, so having that extra muscle is critical to the teams success.

8. By dgon on Jun 1, 2012 | Reply

Why is he waiting until NOW to talk about losing weight? A PROFESSIONAL athlete’s job is to train year round. Thats why they get paid millions. Camp is a month away and NOW he is thinking about getting in shape? He gets cut, watch.

9. By Samir on Jun 5, 2012 | Reply

We have a lot of dumb people here that say that brandon jacobs will be cut. He is our 3 and 1 guy. When gore cannot push through that pile thats when jacobs comes in hand. It does not hurt to loose a little weight. Brandon is actually stepping up. If you seen the articles where jacobs talks that when he was with the giants he never took his conditioning seriously. On the other hand now that he is with the 49ers he is taking it a whole lot more serious. Jacobs will have a great year under frank gore. Two veteran running backs is better than one. The 2012 -2013 season will be great for jacobs if he uses his feet except for his mouth
    (9ers over everthing superbowl on my mind).

10. By NinerFanFrmTonga on Jun 10, 2012 | Reply

what a waste of time…..post didn’t get posted……lol.