Willis and Moss Become Fishing Buddies

Posted by Scott Kegley on May 24, 2012 – 4:53 PM

Over the course of the offseason, Patrick Willis and Randy Moss have become “buddies,” hook, line and sinker.

On the surface, the two have multiple Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections in common, but they’ve quickly discovered a mutual love for angling after a recent conversation following a 49ers Football School workout. Because of their shared interest, it didn’t take long for the two to plan an outing.

“He’s my best fishing buddy,” Willis said about Moss, a seven-time Pro Bowl receiver. “We went fishing a couple of times now and I’ve out-fished him both times.”

Willis said Moss boasted about his prowess with the rod and real, prompting Willis to call a friend, former San Jose Shark and current host of the Canadian fishing show, Fish TV, Owen Nolan. So the trio, with a combined 17 All-Star appearances between them in their respective sports, headed to a fishing hole near Nolan’s home.

“He gave me an open invitation to go fishing whenever I want so we’ve gone up there a couple of times,” Willis said.

Always a competitor, Willis made sure to point out that he caught six fish to Moss’ three. Thanks to Willis’ Instagram account, San Francisco’s five-time Pro Bowler was able to prove it.

Tags: ,

18 Responses to “Willis and Moss Become Fishing Buddies”

1. By Rickey Harris on May 24, 2012 | Reply

HEY I WOULD LOVE TO GO FISHING WITH YOU GUY’S . MAN THERE IS NOTHING LIKE FISHING FOR A GOOD PEACE OF MIND MY BEST THIS YEAR .

2. By Frank Connell on May 24, 2012 | Reply

There’s nothing like fishing to put one’s mind at ease. And there are few things more exciting than fighting something big at the end of your line. Welcome to Cali , Randy- where football and fishing are perfectly mixed

3. By Dana Pekarchick on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Patrick is from West Tennessee where fishing and hunting are part of most folks DNA!

4. By jmmgarza on May 24, 2012 | Reply

When I go fishing it is more about taking it easy. I am definitely not as competitive as this trio. Yes, catching fish is always a bonus.

5. By taylor on May 24, 2012 | Reply

I just went fishing saturday

6. By rogercraig on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Slow news day?

Tell us about their favourite colour, their favourite Chinese food and cartoon figure.

Seriously though, I am interested in football related items, not stuff I would read from People magazine.

7. By dave on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Don’t forget you’re now a “fisher of men” Patrick. Reel ‘em in!!!

8. By DMT on May 25, 2012 | Reply

I have a good feeling about Moss this year. I don’t think you hook up with a dedicated team leader like P. Willis, unless you’re serious about being a positive contributor to the success of the team.

9. By DMT on May 25, 2012 | Reply

To “rogercraig” believe it or not, this is related to football. Off field relationships shouldn’t be underestimated.

10. By rjdniner on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey didn’t bill Walsh set up fishing deal with the team one time, who could catch the biggest catfish and there was something about Roger Grieg, because when he ran he looked like a catfish.

11. By Tony on May 25, 2012 | Reply

P.W. did you catch that fish or tackle him that poor guy is all ruffed up. lol

12. By jreid2222 on May 25, 2012 | Reply

I think you mean Roger Craig….

13. By yakkyduck on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Patrick just took him out let him know if he dont play up to his potential he becomes the bait.

14. By Jon Iwagaki on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Been a niner fan since ted kawalick,Gene Washington days,from the Bay Area
    and now in LA. I’m Inviting these two gentlemen to fish with me in the LA river for some 18 to 25 inch hard fightin CARP. No not for eating but these carp give an excellent fighting good time. So come on Willis and Moss join me in LA on the,yes LA does have a river, cement banks and relatively clean water for some fishin fun.

15. By rocky on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Its good to see the 49er bond growing on and off the field.

16. By J.Nunez on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Hey P.W. and R.M. I just wanna say that its cool that you two hooked up to do something outside of football and FISHING in a way is like football. Teaches patience, determination and the will to NEVER give up. Keep on reeling and lets win another SUPER BOWL. Forever the NUNEZ 49ER FAITHFULS!

17. By NinerFanFrmTonga on May 28, 2012 | Reply

that’s a pretty good size fish…..love to have ate that thing…..love fish!!

18. By Wayne Karnes on May 29, 2012 | Reply

dirty fish. what did you do, find it on the street?