A. J. Jenkins Learning From Rice, Moss

Posted by Alex Espinoza on May 24, 2012 – 5:13 PM

A.J. Jenkins is yet to conquer “The Hill,” but he’s stayed in contact with the greatest of all time, 49ers Hall of Famer Jerry Rice.

The legendary 49ers wide receiver has offered to take Jenkins on a run up the notorious South Bay hill which Rice made famous, but the Illinois alum has been waist-deep in his first NFL offseason.

“We’ll get to the hill,” Jenkins said following Thursday’s Organized Team Activity at 49ers headquarters. “I don’t know when; I’m always out here doing things. But eventually, I want to do it with him. “

Conditioning was a hot topic as Jenkins and his fellow first-year players took part in the rookie minicamp earlier this month, but the wideout said his body has adjusted well to the pace of NFL practice. Jenkins spoke to Rice as recently as Wednesday and hopes to sit down with him for dinner soon to pick his brain.

But that’s not the only mentor Jenkins has relied on since being drafted by the 49ers, as he has tried to absorb knowledge from veterans like Brandon Jacobs, Alex Smith and, above all, Randy Moss.

“That’s the first person who I tried to know,” Jenkins said. “That was my idol growing up; we all were watching Moss when we were growing up.”

The first-round pick has grown to appreciate how Moss takes care of his body and soon plans on copying his post-practice routine of getting more exercise in the swimming pool. From Rice to Moss and everyone in between, Jenkins said he couldn’t have picked a better organization to join.

“I feel like I have the perfect fit,” Jenkins said.

Tags: , ,

32 Responses to “A. J. Jenkins Learning From Rice, Moss”

1. By jason on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Keep your head down and keep learning, you have not one but two of the greatest to play the game at your position to mentor. Wish we could all be so lucky…. Can’t Wait for the season to begin.

2. By cniner on May 24, 2012 | Reply

got that right Jason, looks like Jenkins has about everything going for him at this point, lets hope that translates into on the field production. I believe in you AJ. I know Harbaugh and Baalke wouldn’t have picked you if you weren’t something special. GO NINERS

3. By rjdniner on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Hey let’s not forget about the one that help Rice when he was a rookie, Freddie Solomon

4. By missouri 9er on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Quality young rookie surrounded by HOF talent and good coaching = Top notch wide receiver ! NINERS FOREVER

5. By 11 Years of 49er Life on May 24, 2012 | Reply

you are going to be great A.J. Jenkins

6. By 11 Years of 49er Life on May 24, 2012 | Reply

you are going to be great A.J. Jenkins good luck

7. By Alan Kng on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Alex will light it up this year and make all you haters look like idiots. He has everything he has needed for so long. Niners to the ship. Tell me why not.

8. By Saad on May 24, 2012 | Reply

NINERS ALL THE WAY BABY! This is our year!

9. By Logan on May 24, 2012 | Reply

I believe AJ can be a great receiver for the 9ers for many years to come, depending on his work ethics and last, a receiver is as good or better as who is the QB that throw them the football.
    Go 9ers!!!

10. By ace on May 25, 2012 | Reply

yeah at first i thought they might be over reacting to last year with a first round pick wr, but this team looks deep niners !

11. By natedawg on May 25, 2012 | Reply

I believe in A.J, I read that the coaches put his name in an envelope before draft day started, and knew that was who they were picking #1.

He must be something special!

12. By rjdniner on May 25, 2012 | Reply

Hey not one negative on this post, it all about the future. AS IT SHOULD BE .

13. By sf_ivixers on May 25, 2012 | Reply

did crabtree think of reaching out to rice as a rookie?

14. By john on May 25, 2012 | Reply

moss will be running 4.5 40″s when hes fifty
    years old

15. By James on May 25, 2012 | Reply

@sf_ivixers- Nope… but then again it was Rice who reached out to A.J. Jenkins… so I think Rice actually see’s someone who wants to play where Crabtree was to busy allowing his Agent to get in his head about holding out or Rice might have reached out to him too… I have a feeling A.J. Jenkins is going to over shadow Crabtree and then Crabtree is actually going to have to try hard to keep up with A.J. instead. GO 49ers!

16. By rocky on May 25, 2012 | Reply

A.j. you have aweath of expirence in rice, moss crabetree the list could go on Willis keena Turner Roger Craig joe Montana young. Do your self afaivor soak up all.the knowledge you possibly can. And build on what you know. If coach didn’t already se your a special player you wouldn’t be here.
    go 49ers

17. By ninerz 1 on May 26, 2012 | Reply

sf_ivixers, your answer is no. he was to busy sucking his thumb on the sideline!!!!!

18. By Paul in Albuquerque on May 26, 2012 | Reply

AJ, take crabtree with you when you start to be mentored by RICE. Crabtree has everything to learn when it comes to being a great wide receiver.

19. By Jon Iwagaki on May 26, 2012 | Reply

Let’s get Gene Washington to add a few pointers. He is a legend and a great wide out.

20. By Hog breath on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully our offense can work together like a solid team! Similar to our defense

21. By never miss a game (on t.v.) on May 27, 2012 | Reply

Yeah maybe He’ll turn into moss or Rice !

22. By DYENNY on May 27, 2012 | Reply

I SAID WHEN WE DRAFTED JENKINS HE RESEMBLED AJ GREEN NO PUN INTENDED . SOLOMON WAS GREAT . BUT SO WAS TAYLOR. RICE. CLARK . JENKINS HAS ALOT TO PROVE TO GET PAST CRABTREE, MOSS, MANNINGHAM, VERNON,. SO DONT GO MAKE HIM A HERO YET LMAO. BUT ALEX SURE HAS ALOT MORE ARM SRTENGTH THIS YEAR. GONNA BE A GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD YEAR GOOOOOOOOOO 49ERS

23. By glovato9ers4life on May 27, 2012 | Reply

team looks stacked on both sides of the ball cant wait for the season to start more HUGE plays than ever!!!!!!!!!niners all day every day..bring it home fellas!!!

24. By NinerFanFrmTonga on May 28, 2012 | Reply

I hope A.J. Jenkins will be humble and keep his head down and work hard. If he wants to conquer that hill, it will take all that he has and more. I tried that hill once, and once was all I wanted to have anything to do with it. But, I made it to the top…barely.

I love what the Niners are doing this year in the off-season. I hope all this hard work will translate into success on the field. Alex, you have all the weapons you can ask for and more. Lets go get that S-Bowl that got away from us last year. And I can’t wait for the 6th game this season. We will show those G-men who gave them that trophy last year….lol. Love the team, love the fans, love red and gold for life. Niners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. By anthony on May 28, 2012 | Reply

stay positive and learn as much as you can from two of greatest wide receiver ever and you will be great. cant wait to see you and the 49ers start playing this season. go 9ers go

26. By Don Droja III on May 28, 2012 | Reply

this kid has speed to burn……..so excited to see him makin’ plays for my niners……..peace

27. By 49erf8full on May 28, 2012 | Reply

Dont forget about our 1st round pick 3 years ago. King Crab will be healthy and I see him producing at least 10 TD this year.

28. By djfromdc on May 29, 2012 | Reply

Stop tryna’ compare Crabtree to AJ . They’re team mates and we love them both. Its not about competiion between them, it about the them trying to gel together.sf_ivixers !!!! yeah I called you out.

29. By djfromdc on May 29, 2012 | Reply

go vernon and josh. DC loves all you round’ the way players !!!!!

30. By djfromdc on May 29, 2012 | Reply

i know josh is redskin now but……………………..he was a niner first.

31. By thomas espada on May 29, 2012 | Reply

A.J JENKINS YOU ARE IN GOOD HANDS, MAN YOU KNOW WHAT IS TO BE TRANING WITH THE GREAT JERRY RICE YOU ARE BLESS DONT FOR GET THAT.

32. By alex_fn_smith on May 29, 2012 | Reply

this kid is gonna be great,hes our future right there