• Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM PDT The Fiahtful Episode 1 "The Faithful" is a documentary series by 49ers Studios that is truly for the fans because it is the fans. Narrated by two-time Super Bowl champion Dwight Hicks, the show will take fans on journeys into the lives of the greatest 49ers stories that need to be told.

Morning Tailgate: May 23

Posted by Taylor Price on May 23, 2012 – 8:04 AM

The first of 10 Organized Team Activities has been completed. Following the first session, a number of players met with local reporters, including wide receiver Kyle Williams, who made his first public comments of the offseason.

The 5-foot-10, 186-pound, third-year wideout told the Bay Area media he began training for this coming season just days after the 49ers were defeated in the NFC Championship Game. Williams lost two fumbled punts in the defeat, but said the mistakes have fueled his training this offseason.

“It’s not like you want to forget about something like that,” Williams said in an interview transcript provided by Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee. “You want to build off of that, learn from it, take it as a mistake and build off it, you know? It was a tough time, obviously, for me and for the whole team. But the way these guys had my back, they continue to have my back. That, coupled with the work ethic has just kind of been a good therapy for me. So I’ve just been going hard, and I’m ready to go. I’m ready to go now.”

Williams’ postseason miscues overshadowed his solid contributions as a wide receiver in the closing weeks of the regular season. With the 49ers needing wins to lock up the NFC’s No. 2 overall seed, 16 of Williams’ career-high 20 receptions came in between Weeks 11 through 16.

However, the pain from the NFC title game remains vivid in the young receiver’s mind and has continued to push him to work harder.

“I haven’t really stopped,” Williams said of his offseason regimen. “Ever since a week after that last game, I’ve been going. There was no break and I’ve been going full-throttle since then. I feel great.”

More 49ers headlines stemming from OTAs can be found after the jump. (That being the “Read More” button for those who’ve inquired…)

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com passes along comments from 49ers all-time rushing leader Frank Gore who switched up his offseason routine entering his eighth season with the 49ers. Maiocco: “Worse than the physical pounding Gore took last season, he said, was the emotional anguish of losing in the NFC championship game in overtime to the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants.

Judy Batista of The New York Times writes that NFL owners have made thigh and knee pads mandatory for the 2013 season. Batista: “The league said it was “common sense” that the pads would make players safer from thigh contusions and knee bruises. Commissioner Roger Goodell said he was recently told by a Nike executive that N.B.A. players wear more padding below the waist than N.F.L. players.”

Lastly, 49ers.com’s OTA coverage included a video highlighting players discussing their first offseason under Jim Harbaugh. 49ers offensive linemen also spoke about how they’re building stronger bonds through offseason workouts.

The 49ers Pro Bowl specialist trio enjoyed a golf outing after Tuesday’s OTA session.

Tags: , , , ,
Posted in Morning Tailgate | 29 Comments »

29 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: May 23”

1. By 49fSINCE '67 on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Everyone makes mistakes, it all comes down to what you do to prevent it from happening again, young man seems to have good head on his shoulders and I think in same situation again, he does the right thing

2. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 23, 2012 | Reply

come on he was a rookie filling in cant expect him to be mr do everything right ….someone had to do it he raised his hand when nio one else would ….he made mistakes and has stated he is bound and determined to rectify …i say give him the shot get off his back and move on …if he astonishes us with blazing speed and multiple TD games and even some kick returns for TD’s then all good …..even if he doesnt and becomes a solid go to guy who does his job the guy deserves a clean shot …..now if he kicks around for 7 years and wants to try and get better over the next million years then run him out of town ……as of right now he has the luxury of the off season to improve and show us what he is here for

3. By Basil on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Williams 2nd year. Though I’m not all that sure that Williams makes the team, and it won’t had anything to do with last year. Just we have a lot of talent at WR, and I don’t see anything that makes him stand out from the others. But like another player he’ll have his shot … on with the show!

4. By natedawg on May 23, 2012 | Reply

I’m sorry to bring this back up, I am happy to see that he’s working hard, some things will just won’t heal. I need more time!

I’m in Connecticut here (I became a fan when Rominowski was on the team, he went to my HS, Rockville High Baby!) so I am surrounded by Pats and Giants fans who have not only bashed me for the last 17 years, but they still haven’t let me live that game down.

5. By natedawg on May 23, 2012 | Reply

For once I’m going to be the “11 years” of the blog. As excited I am about upcoming season, I’m not over Williams play in last years Championship game. I would have preferred if we got completely shut out over loosing like that.

I mean he had that WR reverse that he dropped, and not 1, but 2 mufed punt returns! I know you want your chance to show your stuff in a championship game, but not in the rain, and not in such a tight game. Some of the blame should be on Staff as well. After the ball hit him in the leg they should have at least said something to the kid. Let the ball go!

6. By rjdniner on May 23, 2012 | Reply

natedawg.. Just tell them that we never lost a super bowl, pats lost 3 times giants lost 1time… and don,t worry your not alone …

7. By Basil on May 23, 2012 | Reply

I know its a bit early but a friend of mind (packer fan) told me the spread on the opener is pack by 7.5! WOW Boy do I love it or what? I can only hope we can go into every game the underdog, what this tells me is (Yes) nobody Media, and or whoever? Thinks much of our San Francisco Forty Niners?

Yeah I know its early but the just the same …just the same!

8. By rjdniner on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully ANDY won’t have to do all that what he did last year and we got an all pro long snapper. Thank you Trent. Special teams is going to be killer .

9. By rjdniner on May 23, 2012 | Reply

I just don’t see them running that much, there going to hit the air waves and remember when they beat use, no whitener or Rogers yes sir ..

10. By Basil on May 23, 2012 | Reply

My biggest fear Injuries (58 Fleming, Darius) tore ACL out for season, I feel sick for him!
    Get well soon buddy, I can feel some his pain, having my knee scoped friday.

11. By rjdniner on May 23, 2012 | Reply

No john deer for a while, I vet had both knee’s worked on .darius young and strong he,ll be back .

12. By Basil on May 23, 2012 | Reply

rjd: thanks you made me laugh, couldn’t have come at a better time. Yeah he’ll be back ,, but he’s feeling sick today!

GB 7.5 over us, they must have done a lot to their D? I really do not like the packers can not stand them, love to hate`em!
    now back to my tractor, its a great machine But the colours bug me to no end.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

eally like my tractor, just a great machine though the colours bug me!

13. By Basil on May 23, 2012 | Reply

LB a pos, where our needs for backups is pretty strong!
    Good news I see that directv’s NFL package for 2012 is $199
    Saw that on TV today didn’t see the fine print though?
    $12.5 a game that a deal!

14. By rjdniner on May 23, 2012 | Reply

While you can trade it in and get RED troy built ….or get some red and gold spray paint.

15. By rjdniner on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Basil Ill check it out thanks, am a football referee so I stay pretty busy .

16. By Basil on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Hey this tractor ,, my deere john and I have been through a lot and it has NEVER let me down ,, have been thinking about those colours and I have the shop thats for sure ,, Building up a 1947 Ford Tudor Sedan, Blown 350 Chevy!
    So this is the year to change the colours, not much with a spray gun, but have friends that are ? ?
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

17. By rjdniner on May 23, 2012 | Reply

am not in your league when it comes to what i just saw on google ,my lord there beautiful ……i work on alot of military vehicle s

18. By 49fSINCE '67 on May 23, 2012 | Reply

natedawg, grew up with five giant fans and a dad who was into the patriots..CT giants, jets, and patriots,,you know what you are now the fourth 49er fan i know of in CT besides myself..only respect i ever got at corner game was when I wore flash80

19. By 49fSINCE '67 on May 23, 2012 | Reply

special teams will not be our downfall for a long time…best punter, best long snapper, best kicker, best cover team…hell look at the recieving crew we can put out there now

20. By Ladybug on May 23, 2012 | Reply

Eleven: need I remind you that Williams was one of major causes of the loss to the Giants last year?….NOT Alex…..yet you give him …”awww shucks…he was a rookie”….and you pounce on Alex every chance you get.

Can’t have it both ways

21. By natedawg on May 24, 2012 | Reply

49fsince’67, I’ll be at both the jets and pats games this season, let me know if you end up going we can tailgate or something

22. By dave g. on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Ladybug…you said it perfectly. There is ZERO logic to their arguments. Its all emotionally driven. They are more dramatic than an episode of “Days of our Lives”

23. By Basil on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Williams 2nd year player not a rookie: matter of fact 18 games into the season there are no rookies! Let the games begin!

24. By Basil on May 24, 2012 | Reply

the San Francisco Forty Niners do not use/need excuse’s!
    We win and loss as a Team ,,,,, One for All ,, All for One !
    Just the way it is ,

25. By rjdniner on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Well I guess the players are going to start crying now that they have to wear knee and thigh pads starting in 2013, also hip pads. I think it’s going to be hilarious to hear and read there comments.

26. By Basil on May 24, 2012 | Reply

NBA players wear`em and run up and down the court, WOW!

27. By rjdniner on May 24, 2012 | Reply

ROGER GRIGE used them to great effect, one of the greatness run,s during the 80 s I never get tired of that highlight .

28. By TheRock49 on May 24, 2012 | Reply

One of my Best Friends is from New Hampshire, when he starts poping off about the Pat’s versus the 9ers. I just Fu….. Say 5 out 5 . Don’t believe any more needs to be said. And as hard as it is to forget the NFC championship game. It’s a lot harder for a Patriot’s fan to forget the SUPERBOWL!!

29. By tony hallerman on May 24, 2012 | Reply

i am sure the 49ers learned from that mistake from williams they must believe in him or they would havr cut him from the team, they are diffently for another win to the superbowl need alex to get more touch down”s and not just field goes i believe in them even though they made to the playoff, go 49ers, this is your year for the title and the ring