Brian Jennings Refines his Mechanics

Posted by Scott Kegley on May 21, 2012 – 3:55 PM

After 12 seasons in the NFL, two-time Pro Bowl long snapper Brian Jennings continues to find ways to improve.

Jennings spent the offseason training at his home in Arizona while spending time with his wife and 19-month old son, Jackson. He spent his mornings working out in the weight room and refining his mechanics. Jennings did so by aiming at various targets in his backyard.

“I held a long snapping camp and to prepare for that I built targets and snapped into them in the backyard,” Jennings said after Monday’s 49ers Football School session. “I made a few adjustments to work on some of the things I wanted to clean up last year.”

On the 49ers practice fields, Jennings exchanged targets for teammates.

“I’m excited to be here and snap the ball at people instead of targets,” Jennings said with a laugh. “For me, it’s an opportunity to get back into it, to make sure that the stuff I’ve been working on at home is the stuff that I need to be working on. I want to make sure that I’m headed in the right direction with the corrections that I’ve made based on last year.”

It’s also a chance for Jennings to snap in windier conditions.

“I’ve gotten spoiled in Arizona,” Jennings noted. “In Arizona, the wind doesn’t move the ball. Here, the ball moves based on the wind. I want to get back into it and this sets us up for training camp.”

After not having a full offseason in 2011, Jennings knows the 49ers will try to take advantage of their first Organized Team Activities together when they begin on Tuesday.

“Last year, we had to learn on the fly,” Jennings said. “This year, we have a deeper understanding of what to expect when we get into the year. We can really appreciate the nuances of what we’re being asked to do. Now we know what’s going to happen during the year. I think it’s great. It’s a great opportunity to take the next step in our development.”

Tags:
Posted in News | 9 Comments »

9 Responses to “Brian Jennings Refines his Mechanics”

1. By 49fSINCE'67 on May 21, 2012 | Reply

I did not think the best long snapper in NFL could improve

2. By Mutney on May 22, 2012 | Reply

A true professional!

3. By alex_fn_smith on May 22, 2012 | Reply

no offense to jennings,and im pretty sure hes aware but, its not exactly rocket science snapping a ball (sorry junkin) and besides the way our team is looking right now i dont think field goals are even gonna matter. i think harbaugh intends to score more touchdowns than field goals this year. no one is safe……goooo 9ers!!!

4. By rjdniner on May 22, 2012 | Reply

You are sadly mistaken for thinking that and if you had played football you would not have said that …

5. By Coach Timo on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Brian has a great attitude; Looking to improve even after 12 years in the NFL is a true mark of a champion. With great attitude’s like that this team is going to do great things!! I’m excited for this season and team to come together! Thanks Brian for all you do!

6. By ajra21 on May 22, 2012 | Reply

Clearly long snapping is not as easy as it looks, otherwise teams wouldn’t need specialists to do it. That said, I still don’t understand how teams can afford to carry a guy who plays a handful of downs.

7. By rjdniner on May 23, 2012 | Reply

A bad snap can lose the game and a good snap of the ball can get the team one more ring. And the average salary is about half a million.

8. By Micah on May 24, 2012 | Reply

Dudes just a beast wow! Just look at what we have on special teams fans: Andy Lee best punter in the league(HooRaa on the 6 year extenstion broski), David Akers clutch true pro in my eyes best kicker in league but forsure top 3 in active kickers, Brian Jennings best long snapper in league forsure, Ted Ginn Jr. oh ya just a spectacular kick returner, adding LaMicheal James to the best special teams in football. Im also not even mentioning the coverage guys wow. Special teams was key for us last season and well only be better in every phase special teams, offense, and defense all around building a feared franchise! Its been so long people, this season is going to be legendary!!!! Go Niners!!!

9. By art on May 29, 2012 | Reply

ifjenningskeepshisjob what happens to ryanpontbriand???