Owusu Excited for 49ers Opportunity

Posted by Alex Espinoza on May 11, 2012 – 10:52 AM

Within seconds of the conclusion of the 2012 NFL Draft, the 49ers were calling rookie free agent Chris Owusu. Coach Jim Harbaugh and many of his Stanford coaching staff transplants were already dialed in with the talented receiver after having coached him in college.

For now, Owusu finds himself on a stacked depth chart that’s full of talented receivers. Starting Friday, Owusu will join seven 49ers draft picks and dozens of other rookies and tryouts for a three-day minicamp.

“It definitely helps that I played for Coach Harbaugh at Stanford and coming out here, hopefully the playbook is a little similar,” Owusu said. “Knowing the concepts going into rookie minicamp is going to be huge for me just to go out there and play fast because that’s what Coach Harbaugh expects from me – to go all-out and play fast like he knows I can.”

Owusu can certainly play fast. During the NFL Scouting Combine, the 6-foot, 196-pound Owusu ran the 40-yard dash in 4.36 seconds, tied for the second-fastest time overall. In four seasons at Stanford, Owusu had 102 catches for 1,534 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Having played under Harbaugh and followed his jump to the NFL, Owusu is very familiar with the 49ers. He also got to enjoy Thursday’s lunch with former Stanford teammate and current 49ers tight end Konrad Reuland.

“I know a lot about the team,” Owusu said. “They’re right here in San Francisco and being at Stanford you hear a lot of publicity about them and deservedly so. Last year, especially under Coach Harbaugh, they bought into his philosophy of playing hard with an all-out, blue-collar mentality. That’s what I expect to come out here and bring to the table.”

Even though minicamp will be something of a crash course – five practices in three days – Owusu said he’s looking forward to soaking in the NFL experience.

“It feels good to start another chapter and I’m excited to be here in the 49ers facility and just get everything started,” Owusu said. “It’s about what you put into it, honestly. Just got to go out here and try to set a name for yourself in front of all the coaches and do what you know how to do and that’s play football. “

Tags: ,

16 Responses to “Owusu Excited for 49ers Opportunity”

1. By the fanster on May 11, 2012 | Reply

good luck chris owusu,,,I am hoping you make the team in some capacity,,I know your a great player,,and after talking to your mom while I was in the hospital,,you seem like a grown man already,,,good luck kid

2. By Paul on May 11, 2012 | Reply

I’m excited for him but there are a lot of recievers on this team and I don’t know if he will be able to make the roster.

3. By Alex on May 11, 2012 | Reply

VD, Moss, Jenkins, and Owusu on the field at the same time…Who could cover that?

4. By kyle b on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Goal should be to make the practice squad. Work on hands and take route running notes from Crab. With Moss out of the picture in a year or two, this will give you a great opportunity to be a situational slot player, Chris. Good luck!

5. By Micah on May 11, 2012 | Reply

I am very excited for this kid. Coach already has a relationship with him and didn’t bring him on for any other reason than Jim knows this kid can play. Haven’t done my research on him yet but will all I know is great size great speed and has history with our coach. Good luck to you man and I hope you make the team in some fashion, which I believe you will. Go Niners.

6. By bigearl on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Congrats Chis by all means welcome to the CORP….. great to have young talent WOW… Alex has (NO) excuse for an.. INCOMPLETION.. OK… to much weapons C’mon Man….Happy..Happy..Happy..

7. By 49fSINCE '67 on May 11, 2012 | Reply

looking at coaches track record if they are calling him immeadiately fter draft,,the kid must have game…welcome aboard

8. By THE49NINER xbox gamer tag on May 11, 2012 | Reply

WOW!!! WE got good draft picks , and a better offense WOW!!! Alex Smith should throw atleast 4,000 yrds and 35 touch downs. I mean im getting him for my fantasy team. Moss, Manninham,Jenkins,Ginn,Owusu, Vernon,Walker Gore n hunter, Jacobs, Our FB Miller. I cantr believe the talent we defently going to win back to back Super Bowls. Its almost too easy. Lets not mention our Defense!!!

9. By rjdniner on May 12, 2012 | Reply

harbough does not want a repeat of what happen last year .I forget his name he ended up at SEATTLE i think he got a touhdown when the niners played them . OWUSU makes the practice squade for use WE ALL HOPE HES DOES can another team pick him up off the practice .?

10. By rjdniner on May 12, 2012 | Reply

sorry . SQUAD,

11. By lesro89 on May 12, 2012 | Reply

think about using the gizmo helmet, just to prolong your career.

12. By lesro89 on May 12, 2012 | Reply

Owusu is 6’2″ and the fastest WR in camp and has a good set of hands, hard not to have him on the roster. Swain, Williams, Hastings, Palmer, Nelson, Matthews, & Tyms are all way behind Owusu in chances of making this squad.

13. By Basil on May 12, 2012 | Reply

yep!

14. By rjdniner on May 12, 2012 | Reply

Basil who do you think that kid could beat out of a position , aim tired of use losing good player to other teams, we all want players to be successful with use not against use. . I know it doesn’t always work out that way ….

15. By We Cut Who? on May 13, 2012 | Reply

This kid can BALL! I’ve watched every game he played at Stanford, and to be honest, Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn had better watch their backs and perform above their expectations or Chris Owusu will definitely be dressing for games THIS year!

16. By looneytunes65 on May 16, 2012 | Reply

This is a hidden talent. harbaugh knows he hit pay dirt with this kid.. As a Stanford fan. Ive seen this kid play and he has no worries about making the team and will earn his stripes very quickly… he already has a leg up coming from stanford. alot of their schemes are Jim harbaugh….. Keep an eye on him is is destined to excite