Morning Tailgate: May 9

Posted by Taylor Price on May 9, 2012 – 9:42 AM

If you’ve been following the Twitter accounts of the San Francisco 49ers 2012 draft class, you can sense their excitement as the team’s rookie minicamp is now just one day away.

The rookies will not be in the mix with their veteran teammates this coming weekend, but that doesn’t mean they’re looking any less forward to their first practices as members of the National Football League and the San Francisco 49ers.

Count Oregon running back LaMichael James, selected by the 49ers with the No. 61 overall selection in the second round, as one of the most eager players to get his NFL career started. According to a national football writer, James’ presence on the 49ers roster is one of the top minicamp storylines to track involving this year’s incoming draft class.

More on James and the latest team headlines can be found after the jump.

Don Banks of SI.com writes that James’ addition to the 49ers backfield makes the team stacked with rushers. Banks is eager to see how James fairs when competing with Kendall Hunter, Anthony Dixon and Brandon Jacobs for carries behind San Francisco’s all-time rushing leader Frank Gore. Banks also mentions Jenkins’ looming competition with the 49ers wide receivers as another rookie storyline to follow this offseason. Banks: “It’s the kind of problem you want to have, but the 49ers now have too many good options for quarterback Alex Smith to consider.”

Moonte Poole of The Bay Area News Group examines the offseason efforts of Smith who is working on his throwing and footwork mechanics this offseason. Poole: “In short, Smith’s response to a good season, easily the best of his career, is to tackle the fine points necessary to make next season even better. Though Smith, who turned 28 this week, is preparing for his eighth season, it’s the first during which he can focus almost solely on the little things.”

Eric Branch of The San Francisco Chronicle passes along additional information and anecdotes on Jenkins, the versatile 49ers draft pick, who used to be called,”Stank.” Branch: “Jenkins played every receiver position in college due, in part, to the attention he received from opposing defenses his senior year. The Illini increasingly began to split him outside in an effort to get him away an army of bodies in the middle of the field, Illinois quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase said.”

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee reached out to 49ers team archivist Jerry Walker, who is looking for fans to loan or donate items for the team’s Edward J. DeBartolo Sr. San Francisco 49ers Hall of Fame set to be opened year round in the team’s New Santa Clara Stadium. Walker told Barrows, “My dream is to take a look at every possible artifact of historical value. At one point, the team thought about changing the logo, and there are some prototypes out there. That’s the kind of thing we’re after.”

49ers.com’s Football School coverage continued on Tuesday with a video/story feature on safety Donte Whitner, an update on the improved health of tight end Nate Byham and a must-see highlight video of the 49ers offseason workouts to this point.

As previously mentioned, fifth-round draft pick Darius Fleming shares his rookie minicamp excitement on Twitter.

Tags: , , ,

78 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: May 9”

1. By the fanster on May 9, 2012 | Reply

I cant wait to see james in action,,I’m really excited about the possibility of james returning punts,,,that kid can flat out kill it on punt returns and if ginn gets hurt or struggles,,this kid can step right in,,,it is good to be a 49er fan these days,,

2. By the fanster on May 9, 2012 | Reply

so,from reading the above article,it seems that jenkins is familiar with lining up at the z,,flanker,, and slot position’s.,another great insight into as why coach harbaugh and trent baalke had this guy pegged as their guy,,,they knew taking him at 30 that he would be there,,no trading up to get hill another fast guy with less knowledge,,no trading up to get floyd,,another speedy guy with a rap for not giving it his all,,all the time,,staying firm and grabbing possibly the best value pick in the draft with lamichael james in the 2nd round,,,wow,,football games are months away yet,,and I am frigging ready right now,,,IN HARBAUGH AND BAALKE WE TRUST!,,,,49ERS FOR LIFE

3. By rjdniner on May 9, 2012 | Reply

fanster i still can,t belive we got james and what he brings to the field ….holy grap . look out … .

4. By natedawg on May 9, 2012 | Reply

I loved James at Oregon, he would be a great change of pace option for Gore. OK so our Running back situation seems pretty crowded right now:

Gore
    James
    Hunter
    Dixon
    Jacobs
    Cartwright

I’m pretty happy with most of these guys, but 6 RBs seems a little bit excessive don’t you think?

I’m not being negative, but all six can’t make it, who do you think will be cut?

5. By natedawg on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Rock Cartwright has been in the league for since 2002, and his biggest year was in 2003 where he rushed for 411 yards. Hunter had 473 last year, so I can’t see old man Cartwright making the team, even with his experience.

Speaking of Hunter, he had an awesome rookie year, but he has a similar rushing style to James, so its hard to imagine that they can keep both of them.

Even though he is smaller, I feel like Dixon is more powerful than Jacobs (who thinks hes Barry Sanders :) We can’t have all speed, we need a powerful short yardage back. I wish I could see these two battle it out for that spot. I still feel like we only nabbed Jacobs up to get some inside scoop on the Giants offensive playbook. That alone may be worth keeping him if we have to see them in the playoffs.

6. By rjones on May 9, 2012 | Reply

fanster we coulda got stephen hill without movin up but hes just tall an ran a fast 40 jenkins was a way more complete reciever, hill in college was not as big a vertical threat as jenkins because jenkins plays faster……..but yeah lamichael an jenkins are gunna burn some teams!!!

7. By natedawg on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Either way, it should be interesting to see this play out. My Picks:

Gore
    Hunter
    James (also a bonus for this special teams value)
    Whoever excels in the role as the power back, Dixon or Jacobs.

Go 9ers, no matter what the roster is we’re Superbowl bound!

NateDawg!

8. By rjones on May 9, 2012 | Reply

i dont think cartwrights on the team too compete much at HB they picked him up 4 special teams when they lost costanzo

9. By EG49er4Life on May 9, 2012 | Reply

I think that its great we have all these running backs, im sure that anthony dixon and cartright will be on special team mostly..I roman will run many different back field set with gore and james, then hunter and jacobs. Eaither way roman runs these guys its going to be magnificant…we are truly stacked at this point..We have our fullbacks, tightends, recievers, speacial teamers, and most important is that GOLDEN SHIELD DEFENSE…I cant even imagine nothing less then our 6th world superbowl as the NFC West Cahmpions 49ers do it again!!!!!!

10. By EG49er4Life on May 9, 2012 | Reply

My bad people, I know my spelling failed in that last blog…I was so exited typing i didnt even pay attention to how I was typing…Anyway, let get’em NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. By EG49er4Life on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Damn! I suck today, I didnt even included our talented QB’s, but we should be good there too..I think this is going to be Alex’s year to come back and win himself a SUPERBOWL and prove not only to himself and his team but to the entire world of football that he was drafted #1 overall for a reason…

12. By Apocalypto on May 9, 2012 | Reply

I see guys on these highlights of spring training with seriousness & big smiles…they seem to be as excited & commit’d as well as having some fun getting back to the sport/game comradeship & competition they all love, as are we fans about the upcoming season.It takes me back to those days at sierra college when the team had a swagger & cofidence about the upcoming season…GO 49ers!

13. By rjdniner on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Haven’t heard much about, MILLLER the fullback that did a real good job in run blocking for f rank and Kendal anybody

14. By 49faith49 on May 9, 2012 | Reply

change the logo??! time to start saving for tattoo laser removal

15. By DYENNY on May 9, 2012 | Reply

ID LIKE TO SAY YESTEDAYS COMMENTS REALLY PROVED THAT SOME PEOLPLE JUST DONT KNOW FOOTBALL . ALEX TOOK 1 THIRD OF A PLAYBOOK AND WENT 13-3//// REG SEASON 15 TDS 5 PICKS ./ I JUST WANT THE REAL 49ER FANS TO STICK WITH HARBOUGH EVEN IF HE STARTS RONALD MCDONALD IF HE CAN NOT MAKE MISTAKES //// AND THIS IS A RUN FIRST TEAM FOR ALL YOU FAKE FANS THAT I WONT MENTION.// WE HAVE GREAT MIXTURE BETWEEN VETS AND YOUTH AND ROOKIES . IF WE DO WIN OUR DIVISION / NFC CHAMPS./ AND SUPERBOWL./ DONT CHEER IF ALEX IS QB AND PUT US THERE.

16. By DYENNY on May 9, 2012 | Reply

AND TOO ALL THE REAL 49ERS IGNORE THE IDIOTS THAT RIP OUR TEAM ./ THESE ARE THE GUYS AND GIRLS THAT HAVE LIKE 3 TEAMS. (YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 1 TEAM FOR ALL YOU DOUBTERS SIT BACK AND CRY YOU FAKERS) GOOOOO NINERS 0 AND 16 OR SUPERBOWL I GOT YOUR BACK

17. By Ohool49 on May 9, 2012 | Reply

I was also surprised at the James pick. However, given the fact that he could fill in for injuries to Gore or Hunter AND be used in all kinds of creative alignments takes away some of the mystery. I think he was an incredible pick. Time will tell!

18. By DYENNY on May 9, 2012 | Reply

HEY RJDNINER MILLER IS DOING GREAT I READ IT ON THIS SIGHT GO TO HIS NAME IT WILL GIVE UPDATE AND YOU KNOW HE WAS A LINEBACKER IN COLLEGE HE TRANSFERED PRETTY GOOD DIDNT HE I AGREE

19. By RED N GOLD on May 9, 2012 | Reply

IF JAMES IS BACK THERE WITH TEDDY GINN RETURNING KICKS, OFFENSE MIGHT NEVER SEE THE FIELD!!!! ID USE HIM AS A SLOT RECEIVER SOMETIMES TOO. HOPE ALL THE RECEIVERS LINK UP WITH RICE AND HIT ” THE HILL”…….. GO NINERS

20. By DYENNY on May 9, 2012 | Reply

BRUCE MILLER LB FROM CENTRAL FLA. GREAT SCOUTS AND HARBOUGH HAS THAT ( IT ) WHEN IT COMES TO TALENT. THATS WHY I LIKE AJ JENKINS HE RESEMBLES AJ GREEN AND OUR UPDATED RECEIVERS I CANT WAIT . I REMEMBER LAST YEAR ASKING MYSELF ALDON SMITH BUT LOOK HOW THAT TURNED OUT WE HAVE GREAT TEAM AND ORGANIZATION . WE HAVE DEPTH AT EVERY POSITION AND THEY SAY WE DONT HAVE A CHANCE I LOVE FOR THEM TO SAY IT AND FOR OUR PLAYERS TO HEAR IT . 2 FUMBLES AWAY FROM SUPERBOWL . AND THATS GOT TO MAKE YOU HUNGRY ( I KNOW AFTER EVERY HIGH SCHOOL LOSS AS A STARTING CORNER AND I RETURNED KICKOFFS WHEN WE LOST I COULDNT WAIT UNTIL NEXT GAME

21. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 9, 2012 | Reply

yyaawn really so tired of this ….alex had the whole playbook as of week 8 so stop the excuses …..

22. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 9, 2012 | Reply

same old story and excuses for a wash out QB …even after 7 years he finally figured out his mechancis were garbage and went to a specialist …he will need to visit lots of em to even be average

23. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 9, 2012 | Reply

Alex has no skills accept to have fans make excuses ….his reads are poor his pocket pressence is horendous as well as his ability to look off safeties and throw in zone coverage ……

24. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 9, 2012 | Reply

the reason he threw 400 check downs last year was because the coach told him to check it down if he cant make the throw …..the results were obvious as he tried to test the waters in freeagency and got a real good look that the league thinks he is garbage and wont pay him any where near what the ignorant niners will …..100 milli8on dollars and the guy after 7 years figure out he sucks and goes to a specialist …wow sad really

25. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 9, 2012 | Reply

as for the front office paying him all that money and then signing him again we shall never know why accept that maybe they figure …….no i dont know why they would bring him back we shall see if he can do anything defferent against way better teams than last year ……i as others say no

26. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 9, 2012 | Reply

look for alex to be replaced as he selfimplodes when everyone is asking hey why are you not throwing down field ……again …oh all the receivers and backs and TE’s all suck is why …the niners are holding alex back he should have went to miami to show us all ………lol

27. By DYENNY on May 9, 2012 | Reply

THIS OWUSU WR OUT OF STANFORD IS WILD TO WATCH ON TAPE HE IS A HIGH INTENSITY PLAYER . KENTUCKY CB MOSELEY WILL BE GOOD TOO. THE SHOCKER IS KOURTNEI BROWN OUT OF CLEMSON HE MIGHT MOVE AHEAD OF OUR DRAFT PICK OUT OF NOTRE DAME BEFORE MINI CAMPS ARE OVER

28. By jeromy on May 9, 2012 | Reply

ya we were so close to a dynasty, Peyton just made the wrong choice!!!!!!

29. By the fanster on May 9, 2012 | Reply

got to watch owusu his whole career,,if it werent for the concussions he would have had better stats playing with andrew luck,,he can return kicks as well,,,imagine,,we got ginn,janes and owusu,,all 3 guys are sub 4.4 guys if I remember correctly,,wow,,speed on the returns,,

30. By the fanster on May 9, 2012 | Reply

that is a great video piece with alex boone,,harbaugh once again showing his genius and moving boone to right guard,,after playing primarily left and right tackle the move inside to guard should come easily for boone,,,boom,,like that harbaugh has plugged in a guy at right guard who should be our starter on opening day,,and now all the other guys will work even harder to grab that 1st back-up spot,,,harbaugh once again showing us fans how lucky we are to have him as our coach

31. By the fanster on May 9, 2012 | Reply

and the competion with all the new guys will push boone to be even better,,,MAN,AINT IT GREAT TO BE A 49ER FAN ,,

32. By the fanster on May 9, 2012 | Reply

and if you guys are having trouble with slow postings or not having what you posted load,,,try turning your pop up blocker off

33. By Basil on May 9, 2012 | Reply

this should be a great camp we have so much talent coming in and fighting for Jobs, To be honest i can’t remember the last time I was this worked up, this early in the season.
    And whats this change the LOGO? just saw the post 49faith? ?

34. By RED N GOLD on May 9, 2012 | Reply

@ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX SMITH……..bro u need to chill out. You sound like skip bayless. You dont know what your talking about. He had 6 bad years. different coaches and playbooks every year, with no dependable receivers. Vernon Davis isnt a receiver and thats all he had. Now with all this talent he is just trying to get better. whats wrong with that? He’s gonna throw over 4000 yards easy this year. ROCK WITH US OR SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!

35. By jeromy on May 9, 2012 | Reply

AP Alert–Alex Smith, getting confused between his right foot & left foot, tripped & fell spraining his ankles badly causing him to miss the 2012-2013 season, in a strange twist, the 49ers are now heavy favorites to win the superbowl….

36. By Hmrhead on May 9, 2012 | Reply

There’s no way Alex throws for 4000 yds. No way. Even if he has a great year, Harbaugh is not going to let him toss the rock with that frequency.

I was really disappointed the Niners didnt move up for DeCastro. I thought that putting a stellar gaurd next to Smith would really help pick up his game and solidify our line for a decade. There’s no doubt that Staley’s game seriously improved with the addition of Iupati. But with the hype surrounding AJ, it sounds like it was the right move. It would be nice to see some chunk plays for a change.

37. By the fanster on May 9, 2012 | Reply

we are for sure a run 1st based offense,,if alex throws for 4,000 yards that would mean alot of playing from behind in the score football,,,I will be happy with 200 yards a game and 2 touchdowns for a win,,,and 125 yards rushing by frank gore and company,,,with 2 takeaways by our defense

38. By Hmrhead on May 9, 2012 | Reply

You had me at win…

39. By 49fSINCE '67 on May 9, 2012 | Reply

The only major increase over last year I’m looking for is third down…man we were almost awful not only last year…It’s obvious all the moves on offense were to secure a new set of downs..I agree Harbaugh will never let his QB fling it unless we are behind..therefore I don’t think that will be an issue with our D. backing up the O.

40. By natedawg on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I love how no one had anything to comment on my legitimate topic of the 49ers running back situation.

But of coarse there are a bunch of posting from douchebags (11 years/Jeromy) about mindless topics like Alex Smith on a daily basis. I love my 9ers but this blog sucks.

41. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

“we need a powerful short yardage back” yep all 265 of him!
    there, there, there feeling any better ?
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

42. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Now back to what I saw above ’49 Faith 49′ 9ers changing our LOGO. Before I get into this too much where does this come from? any help out there?

43. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

few fans need to get some faith in our QB, how good would any QB have been with the last 2 guys we had playing at the coaching position?
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO9ERS!

44. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

LOGO change is this just somebody yelling fire in the back of the room, or does nobody care about our history. come-on kids

45. By natedawg on May 10, 2012 | Reply

lol thanks basil, I still think Dixon would run Jacobs over, but we’ll see!

You can’t fault Alex. Alex did amazing last year considering what he had for receiving threats. there’s only so many times you can target Davis before he was double/triple covered. He had Braylon Edwards who played all of 1 quarter of football in 2011, Josh Morgan got hurt when we were up 30 points, Crabtree still hasn’t showed me anything, and if he doesn’t this year, I think its about time he hits the road, Ginn was hurt, and I don’t even want to talk about Kyle mr fumble roosky over there.

So happy we made some moves, Alex will be a probowl qb this year w moss, manningham, and Jenkins.

I haven’t hard of the 9ers logo being changed, do you have any links to articles?

46. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

all our history is in that Logo, is somebody just ‘really’ messing with my head?

47. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

“By 49faith49 on May 9, 2012 | Reply
    change the logo??! time to start saving for tattoo laser removal” I couldn’t sleep!

48. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

natedawg: couldn’t agree with ya more!
    Myself I thought Dixon was the guy, the way he was getting into the End`zone, rookie preseason. seems like he had the nose for the job, but what happen?
    I think the reason for picking up Jacobs ‘Red`zone’ 1. problem taken care of!
    Third downs, Manningham over the middle, 2nd problem taken care of!
    Alex throws too deep, too high, Moss 3rd problem taken catre of! IMHO

so much of this all will just had to play out in Camp, should be lots fun.

for the ” douchebags” I’m trying to not see them, they bring the worse out of me I’d rather be a better person.

Logo! change it? might as well our me down!

ps: couldn’t agree more with your post!

49. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

only rookie to sign, Jason slowey (Western Oregon University)

smart kid he can read between the lines!

50. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

49faith49: you out there? where you get this formation if it is just that?

51. By rjdniner on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Basil read matt barrows article …Sac Bee hall of fame for the new stadium I think that will answer your question. about the logo ..

52. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

come on now rjd, give me a date? or just tell me!
    Basil cut your wrist its over!

53. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

rjd sorry! right under my nose he he!

54. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

thanks I feel better, it would break my heart if they changed our LOGO I couldn’t sleep all last night, 50 plus years!
    Jed promises he wouldn’t change our name all a man has really is his word.
    And I believe Jed’s word … no reason not to, eh?
    peace out. GOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

55. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I remember when his uncle was going to do that, the out cry was heard all over the world, well maybe not the ‘whole’ world, but the free world anyway,that Logo is our history. I really surprised nobody else had anything to say ?

56. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

tired of my posts not being posted

57. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

gore,hunter,dixon,jacobs james,cartwright,and hampton,those are our rb’s

58. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

jacobs was signed to be the short yardage goal line back,,,dixon has a learning problem when it come to the chalkboard and harbaugh even commented on it when gore 1st got hurt last year,,cartwright is a career special teams ace

59. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

thats why hunter backed up gore last year,,,james was drafted becuase he is another darren sproles but bigger and stronger,,so the reality is dixon and hampton are the biggest longshots to make the team

60. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

ive been trying to post about rb’s since natedawg posted he didnt think cartwright was going to make the team

61. By rjdniner on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Basil I though about asking them about my 84 pro bowl program signed by bill and Joe and Ronny if they could use it in there hall I decided against it No way will I give it up, Any way aim glade you feel better No wrist cutting action.

62. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Moving Alex Boone to right guard, may be a good move? But it still doesn’t solve the problem .. “and now all the other guys will work even harder to grab that 1st back-up spot,” err what aren’t these guys fighting for the open spot, rather then a back up spot

63. By rjdniner on May 10, 2012 | Reply

if dixion were cut he might not get pickup because of what harbough said thats not good for a any player .

64. By ELEVEN YEARS WITH ALEX on May 10, 2012 | Reply

wow maybe if i simplify it for yas …i comment on the posts that say anything about alex in the probowl or being better than mcnabb or anything close to good ….because the alex lovers can only make excuses and not ounce have they mentioned any skills that alex has that makes him this great QB …his skills are nonexistant and therfore any talk of him being any good or rolling into this years schedule is soooo far off base that it would be better to talk about aliens coming and taking us away in december ……come on come up with one talent that he has to better our team other than checkdowns and 3 and outs

65. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

basil,boone has been given the starting right guard spot,,its his to lose,so ya,all the other guys will be fighting for that 1st back-up spot,,,the right guard is NOT an open position as of right now

66. By rjdniner on May 10, 2012 | Reply

look what happen at the Ravens game last year ,that how boone started out am i right . and besides if boon messes up haven forbide that there chance .

67. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Okay got it, but still think the right side job is up for grabs, this year camp is going to fun, fun, first time I think I will enjoy this much?

68. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I have been corrected !

69. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

hey fanster you think a QB in the NFL could go 13 – 3 without skills?

70. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

well any posters really?

71. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

of course,there have been may qb’s who were considered to have a below avg. skill set that have a good year every now and then

72. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

derrick anderson of the browns a few years back,,of course trent dilfer,,even our jeff garcia was thought to be a below avg. qb,,there are countless examples of this very subject,far too many to list,,a great defense,special teams,,and strong running game can mask poor qb play,but not forever,eventually a below avg.qb will be either replaced or released if he doesnt show any kind of improvement

73. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

of course jerkome and 11 will jump on that post

74. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

most of alex smith’s career was marred by poor coaching,lack of quarterback development coaching,,and a poor offensive scheme,,which in turn,lead to poor qb play,,,that is where jerkome and 11 miss the big picture,,,

75. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

we have a coaching staff that can develop a qb,and alex showed during the 2nd half of last season what some good coaching can do,,leading up to one of the top 10 nfl playoff games

76. By the fanster on May 10, 2012 | Reply

thats right,the playoff game against the saints is considered one of the top 10 playoff games of all time,,another nfl network show

77. By Basil on May 10, 2012 | Reply

I thought he did pretty well in the first as well, really I was being …. aahh never mind!

78. By rjdniner on May 10, 2012 | Reply

Basil if there was a way to show you and faster my bill walsh signed program is there a way to do it .