Morning Tailgate: May 4

Posted by Taylor Price on May 4, 2012 – 9:40 AM

If three consecutive Pro Bowl appearances weren’t enough recognition for the efforts of 49ers defensive tackle Justin Smith, the first-team All-Pro can take pride in being honored recently in another way.

ProFootballFocus.com has listed Smith as the No. 2 overall player in the National Football League and top-ranked defensive player in the entire league.

It’s not hard to see why the football analysis site has Smith so high on the list. In 2011, Smith became the third player in 49ers history to record at least 6 sacks in four consecutive seasons. Smith finished the year with 105 tackles, 7.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

Beyond the weekly production, everyone will remember his two clutch plays that sealed wins against the Philadelphia Eagles (fourth-quarter forced fumble on unsuspecting Eagles wide receiver Jeremy Maclin) and against the New York Giants (batting down an Eli Manning fourth-down pass in the closing moments of a Week 10 win). However, PFF has chosen Smith’s Week 6 outing against the Detroit Lions as his best game in 2011.

Sam Monson writes that Smith’s two sacks, six quarterback pressures, quarterback knockdown and strong performance against the run made it an all-around dominant effort. Monson also notes that Smith finished the year with 15 more combined sacks, hits and hurries than any other defensive end in a 3-4 system.

Smith’s presence on the 49ers has certainly benefited the team’s interior offensive linemen who face him in practice. More on the 49ers upcoming position battle at right guard can be found after the jump.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com previews the upcoming competition at right guard and shares his rationale on why Alex Boone makes more sense at right guard than right tackle Anthony Davis. Maiocco believes Boone can still serve as the team’s backup tackle if named starter at right guard.

Matt Barrows of The Sacramento Bee caught up with former 49ers lineman Jeremy Newberry who spent time training 49ers fourth-round draft pick Joe Looney. According to Newberry, the Wake Forest guard ran a 4.9, 40-yard dash in their training sessions prior to Looney breaking a bone in his foot at the Senior Bowl. The injury prohibited Looney from working out for teams this offseason, but Newberry was very impressed with the skills and personality traits of the new 49ers lineman.

Lastly, 49ers.com’s Football School coverage continued with a look at cornerback Perrish Cox’s transition to a new team and linebacker NaVorro Bowman’s reaction to being named No. 85 on the NFL Network’s Top 100 Players of 2012 list.

The first week of 49ers Football School is in the books, but stay tuned to 49ers.com today for additional pictures and coverage of the voluntary sessions taking place in Santa Clara.

Tags: ,

106 Responses to “Morning Tailgate: May 4”

1. By the fanster on May 4, 2012 | Reply

a great article,,,justin smith is a beast,,and who could forget newberry’s nastiness,,the only thing I call into question is this ,,why would the guy who wrote this article refer to justin smith as a DT?? he is our RE in our base 3-4,,,it leads me to believe that he was looking at the webpage roster instead of knowing this fact for himself,,,shame on you for not knowing his TRUE posistion on our team

2. By Niner from the cradle 2 the grave on May 4, 2012 | Reply

Niner nation standup for what i call “THE MASTER and THE APPRENTICE”!!!!…. #9er 4 Lyfe!!!

3. By Niner from the cradle 2 the grave on May 4, 2012 | Reply

4. By rjdniner on May 4, 2012 | Reply

hey fanster ….. what is this .. ( posistion ) i know you hit the s key 2 times hahaha

5. By DYENNY on May 4, 2012 | Reply

GREAT TO SEE NEWBERRY MENTORING LOONEY WHAT A TEACHER . EVERYONE INCLUDING OUR FANS NEED TO LOOK AT POWER RANKINGS ON EVERY SITE ./// I HOPE OUR PLAYERS DO THEY GIVE US NO RESPECT . EVEN SAW SOME SITES IN AND OUT OF THE BAY AREA SAY WE WERE 1 YEAR WONDERS.

6. By DYENNY on May 4, 2012 | Reply

I HOPE THEY KEEP BELEIVIG THAT B.S. / THAT WAY WHEN WE START BEATING THE FAVORITES TO WIN SUPERBOWL AHEAD OF US WE CAN ALL LAUGH TOGETHER . HOPE WE DO FLY UNDER RADAR . WITH A FULL PLAYBOOK AND THE ADDITIONS BRING IT ONNNNNNNNNNNNN.

7. By Niner Fan In Canada on May 4, 2012 | Reply

Hey rjdninerBefore you start giving opinion learn how to spell 1st POSITION

8. By rjdniner on May 4, 2012 | Reply

look at your , spelling last line ( posistion ) i thought you were perfect hahahahah….

9. By the fanster on May 4, 2012 | Reply

hey rjd,,,your an idiot,,

10. By the fanster on May 4, 2012 | Reply

I make one spelling mistake and you call me out on it?,,,your the idiot who cant EVER spell,,,anything,,not to mention your stupid enough to ask me if jenkins will wear number 80,,,any REAL 49er fan would have already known that we retired rice’s number years ago you moron,,not a single post you have made during these morning tailgate blogs have had any merit,,you are a non-informed,bias,east coast wanna be 49er fan,,how about just not bothering us anymore with your lack of 49er intelligence regarding anything,,,

11. By the fanster on May 4, 2012 | Reply

yes DYENNY,,we get no respect,,,so we will just have to take it,,you can bet your as$ that EVERY team we play this year knows we will hit them in the mouth ALL GAME LONG,,,IN HARBAUGH AND BAALKE WE TRUST,,,49ERS FOR LIFE

12. By rjdniner on May 4, 2012 | Reply

hahahahahahahahahahah …… freedom of speech deal with it …………. hahahahaha

13. By the fanster on May 4, 2012 | Reply

freedom of speech does not lessen the fact that you are a ‘tard

14. By the fanster on May 4, 2012 | Reply

now back to 49er football talk,,may 11th 12th and 13th,,,rookie mini-camps,,then early june for voluntary work-outs,,,I predict there will not be a single no-show for the voluntary work-outs

15. By rjdniner on May 4, 2012 | Reply

ive been called everything in my life time … you are a rookie to come up with that ………

16. By the fanster on May 4, 2012 | Reply

RJD,,,GO AWAY,,,YOU ARE EITHER A LITTLE KID MESSING AROUND ON DADDYS COMPUTER OR A RETARD,,YOU CANT TYPE MORE THAN 5-6 WORD SENTENCES,,YOU HAVE NO INSIGHTFUL THOUGHTS OR OPINIONS,AND YOU CANT EVEN COME UP WITH ANYTHING UP TO DATE CONCERNING THE CURRENT 49ER ROSTER,,ALL YOU HAVE TALKED ABOUT ARE A FEW PLAYERS FROM SOUTH CAROLINA,,,WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR BLOG BUDDYS OR SOMETHING,,,I HAVE KEPT FROM CALLING YOU OUT ON ALL USELESS BABBLE,,,THIS IS A PUBLIC OPINION BLOG,,,BUT THATS JUST IT,, YOU HAVE NO OPINION,,NOTHING YOU HAVE EVER TALKED ABOUT IS ANYTHING INTELLIGENT,,,ALWAYS ABOUT THE PRO BOWL YOU WENT TO,,,OR AJ JENKINS WEARING NUMBER 80 THIS YEAR,,,IM SORRY,, BUT STUPID PEOPLE AND THEIR OPINIONS DONT BELONG HERE,,,GO AHEAD,,KEEP MAKING YOURSELF LOOK STUPID,,,IM SURE OTHERS FEEL THE SAME ABOUT YOUR POINTLESS AND USELESS AND MIS-SPELLED MIND-LESS RAMBLINGS

17. By the fanster on May 4, 2012 | Reply

and its no wonder you have been called everything in your life,,,look at how you present yourself,,you know,there is an age old addage,,,it goes like this,,,if you dont have anything smart or useful to say,,,dont say anything,,

18. By rjdniner on May 4, 2012 | Reply

first you don.t control this blog sight 2nd when any one maks a mistake concerning the niners you attack them …… and you go to all that trouble so what who really cares ……. see ya

19. By the fanster on May 4, 2012 | Reply

again,pointless,,spelling errors,,grammar errors,,and I point out to people who say stupid things that thay have either said stupid things or have said things that are untrue, I don’t attack anyone,,,you spell,, don’t,, like that,,and you spell,, makes,,like that,,go away,,blog on some east coast page where your idiotic statements,,which dont make any sense anyway,,will be tolerated,,,but stay here,,and every stupid thing you say,,I will be all over it,,,

20. By rjdniner on May 5, 2012 | Reply

peaple don,t like to be told what to do on a bloge…. what are you now the bloge cop ……… see ya hahahahahahah

21. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

you spell people,,people,,,you spell don’t,,,don’t,,,you spell blog,,,blog,,and like I said,,,you cant form 5-6 word sentences without mis-spelling most of them,,talk about informative 49er football or go away rjd

22. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

blog police are watching!

23. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Anybody who might be interested Tonight at 9pm PT on 212 NFL channel will be the 94 Niners1
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS! ps: though it seems to be getting away from 9ers talk around
    here and more bashing, not good 9ers fans, I’d say!

24. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Newberry, yeah a real (Forty Fu&k`en Niner) in my book, bad knee’s hurt him for sure!
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

25. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

BTW does anybody here know if the Crab,man showed up at Football school, is that what they called it? Like to see him brake out this year, it be good for him and us as well.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

Offence
    “Roman’s Commandos”
    Capt. A. D. Smith
    & Co.
    GO NINERS OORAH !!!!!!!

27. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

“Punt Return, Capt K Williams”
    you could be wrong on this one, guy! Ginn should do fine on both. Didn’t he score 2 TD’s vs Seagull’s on Punt Returns

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

28. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

yes basil lets return to informative 49er football talk,,,ginn will be our exclusive KR but I do believe james will eventually win the punt returners job,,but every roster spot is open for the taking,,

29. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

and yes,,basil,, crab’s did show up for football school,,and he seems to finally be injury free,,being disabled will allow me to go to one of the rookie mini-camps coming up may 11th,12th,and 13th,,only 10 fans from the public will be allowed to go inside the facility and watch the 2nd half of that days practice so of course they wont show us anything they plan on using in game,,but it will still be very cool to go see for myself how our rookies look,,,I just dont know which day I will be able to go to,,,still waiting on the confirmation e-mail

30. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

and you can still catch up with newberry at any richmond or oakland hells angel public function,,,he goes to almost every public event richmond red & white has,,or just go out to the delta on any hot week-end with your boat and your bound to meet up with him at ski beach

31. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Yeah ‘James’ :) forgot about him, yeah believe your right on that one, eh? its like all the sudden we have all this talent, FAST talent.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

32. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

this team is now,,,BIG,,STRONG,,,AND VERY FAST,,

33. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

so ,it looks like the public WONT be allowed to go to rookie min-camps after all.just got the e-mail from 49ers operations and fans will have to wait for the work-outs that will be from may 22nd-may 31st,,,but thats cool,,It is so cool being a season ticket holder,,you get perks that the average public fan cant get…exclusive access to locker room tours,,access to closed to the public practices,,V.I.P. seating during training camps,,and of course the most important part of all,,the ability to buy my new stadium season ticket pkg. before they go on sale to the general public,,,and,,,those of us who got on the waiting list right away,,,you know us,,we call ourselves,,,”THE FAITHFUL”,, will have 1st choice to keep our-endzone seats,,with the increased ticket price of course,,dollar amount means nothing to keep my same seat,,OH YEAH

34. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Newberry, from fishing with his Sis to hanging with the Angels pretty cool. I had a Chopper in the 60’s in SF it was terrible I had to hide it from the Jokers and Angels, I was a true 1%.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!
    sorry for the reason why, but

35. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

not looken` for an argument here bro, I’ve never had a season ticket, But I am a Niner Faithful! What is a NIner Faithful ? A fan that sticks by his team, ‘through the bad years’ the good years are easy. the fans that know its da-stick ha ha.
    Come on everybody the good times are here again, on with the show, good health to you all.

Sad news guess every here knows,? that 8 of the Charges that played in the SB against us, are now dead! Makes me wonder is football getting to be too much of a health danger!
    I understand that ‘some’ of these guys make a sh%t load of money but still.
    I believe it was Hoover who almost put an end to football, the choice was to stop the flying wing or he would outlaw football.
    YEAH I KNOW, When football is outlawed only outlaws will play football. beat ya to it.
    peace out fellow 9er fans err Fellow Niners Faithfuler’s!

36. By rjdniner on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Basil…. please explain the Hoover and the flying wing never heard that before .

37. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

not all the Charges of the 94 team dies of football related problems, still very sad though! All the sudden I’m hearing about CTE brain damaged from repeated head hits? And on top of that some 400(?) ex`players are suing the NFL for game related injures. More and more these things are coming out!

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/05/02/2822750/8-members-of-chargers-super-bowl.html#storylink=cpy

38. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

not questioning your fanship basil,,,thats what our season tickets say on the top of the ticket pkg..

39. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

hoover = current president at the time,,flying wing was an offensive formation at the time,,am I correct basil? is that what you were referring too?

40. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

here you go Bro! this says it better then I.

When A President Threatened to Abolish Football in the United States

41. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

I understand fanster, this is all in fun!

42. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Hard to believe this could happen he he, but it may well have been ‘President Roosevelt’

hey rj, after you read it lets us know, eh?

43. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

I would say to any fan here that really likes Football, this is a good Football history read. These are the guys that make into what it is today. And they look like the 1960, yes history does repeat its self, I guess?

44. By rjdniner on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Teddy Roosevelt got the collage game and rules committee together NCAA .. alot of players at that time were getting hurt …

45. By rjdniner on May 5, 2012 | Reply

hope that helps

46. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

now see basil,if you would have said the flying wedge,,I would have known exactly what you were talking about,,you refered to it as the flying wing earlier,,which made me scratch my head,,thought you had come across an old school football formation that I had never heard of,,but yes,,football has come a very long way,,you dont hear about all the deaths that happened back then,,,

47. By Ladybug on May 5, 2012 | Reply

HI…been away for a while….just want to say I am a pretty happy camper about the team choices. Boy, we are getting stronger and stronger and will be fearsome this coming year, for sure !

Now, boys….lets not let a few grammar errors, or spelling errors lead to insulting one another, or worse. I know sometimes we have “finger slips” when typing and kit “submit” before proof-reading….so give each other a little slack, and take the comments as they are meant to be. OK?

48. By Ladybug on May 5, 2012 | Reply

see? I did it too…I said “KIT” instead of “HIT”….now don’t scold me please

49. By DJWW on May 5, 2012 | Reply

@Basil
    RE: Didn’t he score 2 TD’s vs Seagull’s on Punt Returns

I think it was one of each, kick return and punt return

50. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

ladybug,,rjd does it constantly,,its not every now and then,,and I wouldn’t have even said anything untill he mocked me about a mistake I made,,and if you go back as far as you can on these morning tailgate blogs,,you’ll notice he lacks any kind of informative 49er talk or knowledge,,so,,since I cant stand people coming on here and clogging up the blog with useless banter and ill-informed opinion’s,,I point it out,,,I will not stand for fake 49er fans,,or a dumb opinion,,,the guy even asked if a.j. jenkins will wear number 80,,,you cant be a real 49er fan and not know that rice’s number was retired years ago,,I am all for the exchange of useful and informative 49er football talk,,not tired useless banter,,dont worry,,your safe,,your quite informative and have useful 49er knowledge

51. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

see what I mean,,,he asked basil what he meant about the flying wedge,,,then posts something he read,,then says I hope this helps??? helps what??,,dude,,,what are you talking about??,,,’total tard’

52. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

well over a 100 years ago, its pretty good that I remember any of it, he he. what a guy, eh?
    On with the show good health to you all!

53. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

fanster why don’t you put it to rest ? WHAT “don’t worry your safe” safe from what? also YOU don’t have to worry about what the rid asked me! !
    and yes DJDD i think you are right, thanks :)

54. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

basil,,talk 49er football and everything will be just fine,,dont worry about me

55. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

and I wasnt worried about what RJD,asked you,,I mean c’mon,,your going to tell me you understood what he meant when he said,”hope that helps?,,that staement was as blank a sheet of printer paper

56. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

dont you mean DJWW?

57. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

see,you were so intent on trying bash on me you couldnt remember who’s post you were re-plying to,,why dont YOU give it a rest,,

58. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

you’ve probably all seen this? but if not its about ustin Smith
    My 9er Jersey will have11 on the front! Smith # 94 on the back

ps: rjd!

59. By the fanster on May 5, 2012 | Reply

and dont bother trying to say any thing about the word statement missing a letter t,,the page re-freshed while I was posting,,

60. By rjdniner on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Ladybug…. its only words and besides I tend to have a good laugh at his expense. (Fanster) I really enjoy you and Basils comments concerning the great game of football …. Talk to you later

61. By Basil on May 5, 2012 | Reply

fanster get a life, no really!

Sorry DJWW

62. By rjdniner on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Basil…. You know what would sale real good, a jersey with all the OL numbers on them . Am thinking about getting one made ….

63. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Ginn should be returning both punts and kick offs…having him only return kick offs is a complete waste of his talent since nobody in the NFL gets the chance with the ball being placed on the 35 and theres so many touchbacks!!!

64. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

I think he could do it, i didn’t realize how valuable Ginn was till the NFC champion game! But I don’t see him as a WR just doesn’t have the hands1

65. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

they would sale very good,,geez,,day after day rjd posts nothing but garbage,told you he is on here for friends,,

66. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

this blog is for football talk,,,O line jersey’s,,,good grief,,the stupid crap that this guy posts,,,c’mon,,you people want to engage in stupid crap like that?? RJD that last post of yours proves beyond a doubt that you are friggin’ retarded

67. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

@ NINERS ALL DAYYY,, your point about ginn is excellent,,,at last some REAL football talk,,we drafted 2 players who have the ability to return kick-offs and punts,,,ginn’s job may be in trouble,,,he is at best,,avg. at catching the ball,,could be some real heavy battles at training camp this summer

68. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Ginn’s much better then avg, for sure
    Now for rjd, I think he’s just a kid, though it does look like he’s playing me? Come-on I just want to talk some 9er talk! We got a great team and with out injures we got a good change to go all the way? ?

69. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Hear a lot of talk about LA getting a NFL team and maybe the Rams at that? The LA RAM’s boy do I miss that, there use to be so animosity between LA & SF! Boy when the Rams where coming to town, everybody got worked up, Rams, Doggers it was all good (could it happen again I wonder?) would be coll!

70. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

ginn has too many drops but I wont argue your point,,there will be alot of competion for that 4th WR spot,,

71. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

basil you are 100% correct about the rams,,,if they go below a certain amount of people going to the games this year they will be allowed to break their lease and move,,and LA voters have already said they dont want an expansion team

72. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

now we are talking football,,thank god,,a.j. jenkins,,after knowing that I only watched 4 games from his final college season,,,I had to go back and watch some games of his,,,that guy catches everything near him,,but was scarcely used on returns,,ginn was ohio st’s. primary return man,,,lamichaeal james can kill it on the punt return,,and had been used on kick returns,,,I will say this about ginn,,he made some clutch catches for us last year,,but was more clutch on his returns,,but if jenkins will push ginn for playing time,,we could see more of james on returns,,leaving ginn the odd man out,,but hey,,thats what training camp is going to be for,,,moss,,crabs,,manningham,,these guys are most likely going to make the team,,leaving ginn,jenkins,swain,and any other WR’s we may have on the practice squad or free agent invitee’s,,looking forward to it

73. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Question to the posting gods, what are you doing with my post that I submit? and when I don’t see then posted and try to resubmit you say “sorry but you already posted that”
    Now we seem to agree on Ginn, but what I wonder is what will happen with Williams, Myself what happen last season is history, but I think we have to much talent for Kyle to make the club, and then there’s the concussions as well. I think if we cut its not gonna be pretty!

74. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

“and LA voters have already said they dont want an expansion team” but they would welcome the Rams, Right?

75. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

yeh,they would welcome the rams for sure,,but not the raiders,,wel,,maybe now that al davis is dead they might,,,and the re-fresh rate on this page is terrible it happens all the time when I post some things,,,and I left out kyle williams on my list to spare the poor kid any more fumblina comments

76. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

see,,,the word well above in my post,,I KNOW, that I used two L’s when I typed it,,so,yea,the re-fresh rate is terrible

77. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

I seem to remember kyle williams looking very much like victor cruz last year at times,,catching and out running every one on the field,,if not for his fumble in the championship game,,we would be talking about how much we are looking forward to his improvement this year,,and not raking him across the coals,,as it were

78. By rjdniner on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Basil .Aim not playing you… Remember the rebuilding process the 49ers went through that’s what the RAMS are in…. my main concern is that every one stays healthy and when that final roster is set that’s when am going to get really excited don’t get me wrong am enjoying it now …for instance the right guard position that’s really going to be fun to watch . Take care

79. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

yeah fanster, I saw that, but it doesn’t matter really. Look my
    post should have said (so much animosity) and should have been Cool not coll. And this New Mac came with a
    “Magic Trackpad” it should be the ‘Tricky Trackpad’ its very quick and very sensitive. And I not use to the small keypad, Don’t get me wrong i’m lucky to have this, but it can be a pain in the A$$.
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!ps: I will keep trying to get better, but I am a better fan then a speller

80. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

better fan than a speller,,,I bow to your honesty and I am right there with ya

81. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Well im almost positive we signed Ginn to a one year deal…I think that is to let James and whoever else develop under him and then the following year have them take over…I do not think we drafted Jenkins in the first round to put him on the practice squad so im pretty sure he will make the team…I think williams stays also and we carry 6 Wrs!!! Swain definitely goes to practice squad!!

82. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

@ NINERS ALL DAYYY,,yup,I think that is the way things are going to turn out,,but ginn’s one year deal is very cut friendly,,if we keep 6 wr’s,,,and our 5 rb’s,,depth at other positions would suffer for it,,harbaugh and his staff have their work cut out for them

83. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

good grief,,I forgot about brandon jacobs,,,6 rb’s,,,wow,6 wr’s 6 rb’s,,that is 12 roster spots,,I see the axe falling on on 2 wr’s and 2 rb’s

84. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

moss,,crabtree,,manningham,,jenkins,,ginn,,williams,,swain,,wait,,thats 7??

85. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

ok,training camp needs to get here soon,,I see moss,crab’s,manningham,,and,jenkins as our starting 4,,cant see ginn taking away from any of these four,,but that is what is so great about roster spot battles,,man aint it great to be a 49ers fan?,,it has been way too long for us to be talking about almost every spot on our roster as a positive,,instead of wondering what the hell is going on with the front office staff,,from mooch to harbaugh,,,the stuff that happened between these two coaches was downright humiliating to us faithful,,tuff stuff going to all those games,,the tailgate party’s were the best part of the day,,,man,,,glad we got jed,trent,and coach harbaugh

86. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

ok,so after feeling like a greenhorn 49er fan and not knowing how many wr’s we had on our roster,I went and looked and yup,,I made another greenhorn move,jewel hampton,,rb southern illinois,,so we have 7 rb’s on our current roster as well,,,good lord,,save me training camp

87. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

but,honestly,it feels great making these mistakes,,shows how into the team we are,,we,are, THE MIGHTY 49ERS,,,BIG,,STRONG,,AND FAST,,KICKIN’ THAT A$$

88. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that! I’m so freaking tired of seeing this!

89. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

As Bill would say, “we need all these guys if nothing else but for practice” as in who does our defense practice against? While our offense is over here ‘practicing? Damn it anyway man what the hell going on? If I could find that little guy that lives in the control room, I’d, I’d …. well anyway I better be careful!

90. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

I was a poster in a (San Francisco Chronicle) 9ers chat room!
    We learned that Bobb McKittrick had cancer, I got this idea!
    I asked if anybody wanted to sign a card for Bobb, well yeah!
    I had posters e-mail me their e-mail address’s, must have had
    50 Names & address, I set up a route, starting in Florida. I put
    the 3? large cards, mailing list, stamps, and new address labels and forwarding directions in a manilla envelope, mailed it off.

91. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Pretty sure it went to all states, I know it went to 2 islands in
    Hawaii. Now other people heard about this and got in touch
    with me (none posters) and asked if they could sign, of course!
    So it got rerouted a few times, and I forget if I did 2 mailings
    one East and West to start with? Fans added their own cards
    people would say your card is cooler can I sign yours?
    It was sad but at the same time it was nice, and it was the only
    time we all agree on anything. As things like this get going they
    seem to take on a life of their own, and somebody would ask I
    have this bla, bla, can I add it? yeah go ahead, maybe a ticket
    stub or? People say almost out of stamp, I didn’t had time to
    get any so I put mine money in there. trying to keep this short!

92. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

AWESOME

93. By Basil on May 6, 2012 | Reply

when it all came to me it was a big fat envelope, one of the posters gave me a Lady’s name and number at 9er HQ’s I called her and she gave me her address at 9ers HQ so I forwarded it all to her, I talked to her later on and she told me she gave it all to Bobb and I gave that to everybody.
    This is all true, too the best of my memory !

this was too long to post so rather then say saying that it kept saying already posted, man! is there a word count here?

94. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on May 6, 2012 | Reply

As far as wideouts and Rbs I can def see 6 wideouts on the roster its not to uncommon in the league…however the running backs will have to be cut down to atleast 4…unless cartwright and dixon play special teams.

95. By NINERSS ALL DAYYY on May 6, 2012 | Reply

1-Moss 2-Manningham 3- Crab 4- Jenkins 5- Williams( the guy can fly) 6- Ginn ( Spec. Teams) RBs 1- Gore 2- Hunter 3- Jacobs 4- James (until he proves himself)

96. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

cartwright is a career special teams ace,,,so his roster spot is secure Im sure,, we lost blake costanzo,,taps most likely is playing for dixon,,and I would love to carry all our wr’s on the roster,,what speed we would have

97. By the fanster on May 6, 2012 | Reply

49er rb depth chart,,, 1-gore,,2-hunter,,3- james,,,,jacobs,,short yardage and goal line,,,I like the look of that,,,it looks like 6 points from my end zone seat

98. By rjdniner on May 6, 2012 | Reply

Basil…. Outstanding thank you for shearing that …

99. By Basil on May 7, 2012 | Reply

you’re more than welcome ‘Fanster’! Bobb was the best offense line coach we ‘EVER’ had. 21 years with the 9ers!
    The Bobb McKittrick Award
    If any fan here doesn’t know who Bobb was, they should read this, without Bobb we don’t have 5 SB wins!

100. By Basil on May 7, 2012 | Reply

question I have is who will be our #2 QB, myself I’m thinking Josh, probable because of his background with Coach. Isn’t it something that it seems like all the sudden we’re filthy rich with talent, seems like not to long ago we were picking up player off the street! it feels good to be relevant, eh?
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONINERS!

101. By Basil on May 7, 2012 | Reply

9ers undrafted free`gents !
    Undrafted free agents, let it all begin, Please !
    FB Cameron Bell (Northern Illinois)

LB Kourtnei Brown (Clemson)

DT Patrick Butrym (Wisconsin)

TE Garrett Celek (Michigan State)

OL David Gonzalez (Washington State)

RB Jewel Hampton (Southern Illinois)

LB Joe Holland (Purdue)

DT Matthew Masifilo (Stanford)

CB Anthony Mosely (Kentucky)

T Kevin Murphy (Harvard)

G Al Netter (Northwestern)

WR Chris Owusu (Stanford)

WR Nathan Palmer (Northern Illinois)

CB Deante Purvis (UNLV)

K Giorgio Tavecchio (Cal)

S Michael Thomas (Stanford)

WR Brian Tyms (Florida A&M).

102. By the fanster on May 7, 2012 | Reply

owusu and masifilo from stanford stand the best chance to make the team simply due to their knowledge of harbaugh’s and fangio’s systems,,we shall see soon enough,,now on to morning tailgate may 7th

103. By Basil on May 7, 2012 | Reply

fanster, if you’re around, please can you help me out?I seem to be having trouble keeping up with Goal Post lasted post as in may 7th!
    if I go to New and Events under Morning Tailgate !
    I’m getting May 4th, but here I’m showing May 7th? what th hell is going on? you have any idea?
    Thanks Basil

104. By Basil on May 7, 2012 | Reply

I’m not sure if this is a sick mac or bad stream?

105. By rjdniner on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Basil….. I wish I could give you some advice I hate to see you going through all that mess I believe…. Faster .Is your best bet. I would mess you up more if I were to try and tell you what to do aim learning my self …. I hop they can keep that OL together for at lest 2 more years maybe more …

106. By the fanster on May 7, 2012 | Reply