Smith Throws Darts to Moss, Manningham

Posted by Scott Kegley on May 1, 2012 – 5:14 PM

It’s hard to miss Randy Moss. The tallest 49ers receiver certainly stands out in a crowd and is a welcome addition to a talented receiving corps.

“You see him running around and he’s got a big dart board as quarterbacks like to say,” Alex Smith remarked about the 6-foot-4, 210-pound veteran wideout on Tuesday. “He’s got a big target and it really makes you look good.”

The 49ers quarterback said the 35-year old Moss still looks to be in top form.

“He looks young. He looks fresh.”

Moss isn’t the only new weapon for the 49ers quarterback. Mario Manningham has been at workouts and the two are hard at work trying to build chemistry in the preseason.

“He made some nice catches today,” Smith remarked about Manningham. “He’s a true pro. He knows his job, he’s taking care of that already.”

Throughout this phase of the 49ers offseason program known as “football school,” the 49ers aren’t allowed to compete in contact drills. For Smith, it’s a good opportunity to work on the basics before the pace picks up in OTAs.

“It gives us time, especially the new faces we have outside, to just see their body language, things they’re good at and get familiar with them and for them to get familiar with the offense,” Smith said. “They’re starting fresh. I know things are moving fast for them, but it’s a chance for them to hear our verbiage, get in and out of the huddle and get a taste of this before OTAs start.”

Tags: , ,
Posted in Uncategorized | 43 Comments »

43 Responses to “Smith Throws Darts to Moss, Manningham”

1. By Jesse on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Love hearing this kind of thing. Glad Alex and the other QB’s are getting in reps with the WR’s, specially the new guys. Hoping Moss and Manningham see the hard working ‘blue collar’ type of environment we have established and catch on quick. Go 49ers!! 49ersFaithful

2. By Zedstone on May 1, 2012 | Reply

honestly i’m looking forward to this next season more than any in recent memory. the stars are aligning like they did back in the early 80′s. i smell a dynasty!

3. By DMT on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Good news, most everyone’s there, and seem to be in good spirits!

4. By 52 on May 1, 2012 | Reply

This year’s 49ers might not match last year’s regular season record, but it looks like they’ll be a better team. Can’t wait…

5. By 4evr9er on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I’m with you Zedstone. I think this team, pound for pound, (nothin’ but luv for Montana & co.) could develop into the best Niners squad ever.

6. By 49fsince67 on May 1, 2012 | Reply

If you watched the video on the Gaunlet..Crabtree and Moss were flying..as i said in the blogs look for the Niners to go vertical this year..speed is in the house!

7. By Tim on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Moss looks so smooth catching the ball. Easy to see why he’s a future hall of famer. He covers ground and makes it look effortless, although in reality, it probably takes a lot of effort.

8. By Rick M. on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I as A die hard cant wait for the season to start i am a sgt where I work and its like they some times yea gotta brush the dust off the stripes last year they brushed the dust off GET READY WERE BACK

9. By KDB on May 1, 2012 | Reply

We have some great additions and Alex is the MAN, Game, Set, and Match.

I hope we win it all next year!

10. By Clutch on May 1, 2012 | Reply

If Sf can get a great season out of Moss and a ring before he decides to quit on the team, then his services will be worth it.

11. By Clutch on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Hopefully Moss will have 2 good seasons and not quit on the team :)

12. By Red n Gold on May 1, 2012 | Reply

MOSS, MANNINGHAM, CRABTREE, DAVIS, WALKER, GORE, HUNTER, OH YEAH AND THE GAME MANAGER! HE SURE DID ” MANAGE” TO GET TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP WITHOUT A LINE OF WR’S. LETS SEE HOW TEAMS “MANAGE” TO STOP HIM WITH A LINE OF WR’S ( I WONT EVEN NAME THE REST OF THE OFFENSIVE GUYS)

AND THE RETURN OF THE DARKSIDE( DEFENSE) SORRY N.O. SAINTS, WE HURT PEOPLE FOR FREE, UNINTENTIONALLY OF COURSE, IM SURE U GUYS AND MANY OTHER TEAMS KNOW THAT AND FEAR US!

GO NINERS…….R.I.P. NFC WEST AND ALL OTHER TEAMS IN THE WAY

13. By jose on May 1, 2012 | Reply

with this new offense we should at least b top 10 in the league next year

14. By mdell49 on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Glad to see Crabtree’s foot feels good. Amazing the healing effect a couple of freeagents and a First round pick at your position can have on a fellow. Also seems like it has a positive influence on attending workouts. Now if Crabtree can make his FIRST pre-season game in 4 years the money spent on free agents and draft picks will have been worth it.

15. By Robert G. on May 1, 2012 | Reply

There is a lot to say as a forty niner faithful, what an amazing squad. But the one thing that I would say is that I know where the heart of the amazing 9ers squad is. I would say to Randy: Show me your heart. this is your moment…your moment to prove to all the critics that you still have it. It takes heart to win football games not just route running ability and speed. You have the oppurtunity to go down as one the best of all time. You are on a team that has more HEART than double of every team in the NFL. Don’t take them for granted and work hard, not for yourself but for what the niners stand for: TEAM! and I believe in you. You can do it.

16. By ceadderman on May 1, 2012 | Reply

Moss is like anyone else with talent who expects to have the chance to use it on a regular basis. Why would anyone want to be on the field if they aren’t going to be doing what they get paid to do. No competitor I know would want to be there. So as long as Harbaugh isn’t going to use him as a decoy like Bill Bellicheat used him, I don’t see Moss being unproductive.

17. By Larry Lawson on May 1, 2012 | Reply

I’ve watched Moss “Light it up” since he was a soph. in H.S. Get ready for “Show Time!”

18. By robert poirier on May 2, 2012 | Reply

well i’m glad Alex is back to be real honest,and glad we did not get Payton.i always liked Alex and now under the same offensive coach for second yr and with some more weapons.it will be his time to shine and to show that when you have the same plays and can tweek them ,and have some new weapons that he is the real deal.

19. By Mutney on May 2, 2012 | Reply

An off-season to practice. One more year together. An expanded play book with some new player additions to help use it to its fullest. Watch Out! This will not be your old 49ers!!

20. By detroitniner on May 2, 2012 | Reply

REd Zone production should be amazing this year
    Gore will light it up, Davis is going to have a fantastic year now that we have an outside threat WHO do you focus on?
    with this offense our defense will be rested no more 3 n outs they wil punish opposing offenses nowing we can score on offense.

21. By ministermel on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Hey Red n Gold…man i’ve been thinking about a name for our defense. I like what you just said… “The Darkside Defense”…I think that’s sweet! What ya’ll think Niner nation?…Let’s get your input!

22. By tom in nj on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Think we have the players in place..Only question now is HOW BAD does the team want it? I like what I see so far, tempo is good, chemistry is starting to develope..early still but Alex looks really determined and hungry so far to finish the job this year! Looking forward to see less field goals…and of course Whitner laying some more “WOO” hits! GO NINERS!

23. By Kendall on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Zedstone, the biggest difference already is that the Niners of the early 80′s went 6-10 then the next season 13-3 and WON the Super Bowl. And that inspite of Joe Montana throwing 3 interceptions against Dallas before he threw the “Catch”. If there was magic they would have won this year. They were certainly the better team than NY. I too am looking forward to this season, but magic? Not yet. Hard work and one of the best line ups in the league is certainly better than magic. I’m on board though and have been since the late 1960′s. Hopefully next year at this time all of us fans will be saying Super Bowl Champion 49′ers.

24. By Niner from the cradle 2 the grave on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Everyone that is rippin Crabtree sounds just like Merril Hodge on Tebow!!!! STUPID!!! First he is WAAAAY better than U will ever be at the position, You must not be wtching the games, and jus watching espn and taking their word for the gospel… He may not have blazing speed but, Crabtree makes amazing catches one after the other,, Everyone drops a ball… Im so tired of hearing about the NFC chapionship game when he wasnt targeted all day then at the end knock him for jus 3 yards on a play he should have lost yars on.. Crabtree is a beast to bring down after the catch and also will kill single coverage, which he will see alot of this year..Since he has gotten there he has been are best reciever far and away.. With all the speedsters we have now I believe he will actually have the best year..Some of us have gotten so used to being bad we cant even recognize all of our good players.. We would be crazy to trade, release, or not resign Crab.. Everyone cant be a lightweight speedster U need balance.. I see the depth chart going 1. Moss 2. Crab 3. Mannigham 4. Jenkins… wth Jenkins eventually moving to #1 whenever the Moss experiment is done…We have a dangerous, balanced attack at WR now, and Crab is the reason.. Too much is put on stats… They are not always a true idicator of talent or value..I am finally proud to say, I like every player on the team.. We are being built perfectly, and the team is in good hands again for the first time since the Walsh/Debartolo era… In Harbaalke we trust!!!!!

25. By rjdniner on May 2, 2012 | Reply

we will find out just how good we are when we start playintg the nfc north …

26. By Highflight49ers on May 2, 2012 | Reply

“Harbough’s 49ers Battalion”

49ers Special Team Name: “Seely’s Strike Force”
    Kick Off Team: 1st Squad Leader Capt. D. R. Akers
    Punt Team: 1st Squad Leader Capt. A. P. Lee

49ers Defense name: “Fangio’s Marauders”
    1st Squad Leader Capt. P. L. Willis

49ers Offence Name: “Roman’s Commandos”
    1st Squad Leader Capt. A. D. Smith

Go Niners Oorah !!!!!!!

27. By AC3 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Randy Moss is a Legend… He deserves a superbowl ring and I hope he gets it with the 49ers.

28. By AJ on May 2, 2012 | Reply

Time to unleash #11. I wouldn’t mind seeing more INTs from him as long as we ATTACK THE AIR!

29. By jrparker on May 2, 2012 | Reply

I am guessing the 49ers will be hungrier and much improved on offense this year. And it looks like all the contenders are going to be better as well., but it will not do them any good, because this is our year. Ours!!!

30. By genuinethoughts on May 2, 2012 | Reply

I think the talent on this team is huge and we will prevail in 2012. Jim Harbaugh is licking is lips at the opportunity to succeed and you bet he will! This is the most exciting team since the acquisition of Joe Montana in pre-1979 and winning of SB VXI !!!!!!!

31. By East Coast Niners Lifer on May 2, 2012 | Reply

As a die-hard fan my entire life, born and raised on nuthin’ but RED and GOLD, this is the most excited I can remember ever being about any 49ers squad. Though I’ve been alive for three of their SB victories, my earliest memories come around the ’95 season, what with Steve Young and a still-dangerous Niners offense being heartbroken year after year by the Packers, the Falcons… It was all Rice, and Owens, and J.J. Stokes, and we knew it wouldn’t last. Then, ten years of irrelevance.

NOW, we are BACK, and in a BIG WAY. Not that any of us can see the future and how things will shake out, but I expect no less than greatness. The strength of this team is in its attitude, its heart, its mentality, its selflessness, its character, its locker room, its excited rookies, its veteran leadership. We will take losses and lumps, probably at a greater rate than last year, too. But tenacity will overcome tough losses; confidence will bring long-shot comebacks; solid fundamentals and character will keep this team humble, hardworking, blue-collar. I expect this year’s team to have more FUN on the field than any other in the NFL, pure football, no worries, that 6th Lombardi is coming home to where it belongs, to the City by the Bay.

32. By MC on May 2, 2012 | Reply

9ers looks like old school Red n Gold pain is on the way. Exciting lets go 9ers S.B. And God bless The USA……..

33. By farnsi9er on May 2, 2012 | Reply

I was so happy when Peyton Manning signed with Denver. Alex is the guy, and I expect a huge year out him this year. He can, and will, do it.
    It’s great to see Moss and Manningham in red and gold.

34. By Tony14067 on May 2, 2012 | Reply

I feel like this season will be like the 1st quarter of the Saints game last year in the playoffs… 3 straight turnovers and 3 straight touchdowns then, the running game goes to work and game over with James, Hunter, Gore, and Jacobs…

35. By Apocalypto on May 2, 2012 | Reply

When the moon is in the 7th house & Jupiter aligns with Mars there is balance in the Universe & again now in the 49er offense..When you look at the playoff teams that are on our schedule…what they don’t have is a defense like the 9ers..! SF will be VERY COMPETATIVE !

36. By Robert on May 3, 2012 | Reply

I smell a Superbowl Championship this year coming up ya’all no more messing around and the 94 season the 49er’s went and got key players and won their last Superbowl that year.

37. By AJ on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Anyone else here think the 49ers should have drafted a CB? Aren’t they thin at that position and with Rogers aging, I thought that was a need.

Are you ready for Dynasty 2.0?

38. By 49erfan on May 3, 2012 | Reply

we might not have the same record like last year, but as long that we get into the playoffs and its a new season.packers,giants,saints and the rest of the nfc west, here we come. gooo. niners.

39. By CircleChange on May 3, 2012 | Reply

Look at the eyes in this picture. At a practice session. Yeah this should be a good year…

40. By KDB on May 3, 2012 | Reply

The DB from Denver is going to fill in nicely. Also A. Smith #11 is the Man we don’t need NO KNOCKED KNEED Peyton Manning, yeah I SAID IT!

If Niners stay healthy we can win it all!

41. By jrparker on May 4, 2012 | Reply

I believe we could have done better in the draft, but the players we did acquire along with free agents gives us more then enough talent to put us over the top. This is definitely our year.

42. By dbarnes on May 4, 2012 | Reply

I thank the with the aquisitions we,ve made during off-season ,we stay healthy THE FITH RING IS OURS FOR THETAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

43. By dbarnes on May 4, 2012 | Reply

I thank the with the aquisitions we,ve made during off-season ,we stay healthy THE SIXTH RING IS OURS FOR THETAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND IF I SAID ONCE I`LL SAY IT AGIAN.